Crowds in 2006 - AFL vs NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Rob said:
You are probably right, but its not an issue of which code is better, it's a simple matter of someone using bullsh*t figures to prove something that isn't there. I was just pointing out the bullsh*t.

Coming from Canberra where Alex Jesaulenko and James Hird come from but also Micheal O"connor and Bradley Clyde (Gregan as well) you get a good appreciation for different footy codes...... probably similar to QLD ATM, in reality if you enjoy discussions with LD... great,....... he aint gunna change.

fishmonger said:
I'm merely stating the facts.

As for noone caring about the NAB Cup. That may be true for this year, but historically Grand Final crowds have been much bigger in comparison.

Wizard/NAB Cup Grand Final
* 2004 = 50,533 (St Kilda vs Geelong)
* 2005 = 43,391 (Carlton vs West Coast)
* 2006 = 30,707 (Adelaide vs Geelong)

Those figures are poor compared to:
1995: North Melbourne v Adelaide 43,800 at Waverley (Ansett Cup)
1998: North Melbourne v St Kilda 64,500 at Waverley (Ansett Cup)

Its good to see the crowds are still comming to the NRL and AFL just shows ya how aussies love their sports like no other...:thumbsu:

fishmonger said:
Average crowds 2006 (2005)
* AFL = 32,508 (35,696)
* NRL = 18,296 (16,468)

NRL average crowds are over half of the AFL's average for 2006, whereas AFL crowds are usually more than double.
NRL crowds are up by 10% and AFL down by 15%.

What you fail to note is the NRL average crowd for Round 4 was a pitiful 14,827

Seems the average crowd numbers are already dropping in the NRL. Only took 4 rounds as well. :rolleyes:

fishmonger said:
The AFL would be silly to rely on the much hyped ANZAC day match to prop up what are terribly disapointing home and away crowd figures.

But given the shamozzle over the athletics track at the MCG I can see why the AFL are so keen to get a big crowd for that game.

You are just another thugby troll in disguise.

After one round badly distorted by the Comm Games just have a look how far the F1 GP crowds were also down before you start predicting the death of the AFL!
Lets compare the size of our d***s come the end of season 2006 not at the beginning eh?.
BTW before you shoot you mouth off aboutAFL crowds have a look at the shocking crowds at Telstra Stadium for RL so far this season?:D

You can't say "AFL CROWDS ARE DOWN BY 15%" when we've had one round played, one game of which was at Aurora Stadium, and two games outside normal times - Thursday night and Monday night. Wait until next week and you'll see the average shoot back up again.

SaintsSupporter said:
You can't say "AFL CROWDS ARE DOWN BY 15%" when we've had one round played, one game of which was at Aurora Stadium, and two games outside normal times - Thursday night and Monday night. Wait until next week and you'll see the average shoot back up again.

Lets just hope the man on man, hard contests, pack marks, screamers, long kicks, maybe some torps shoot back as well.....or is that asking a bit much?

fishmonger said:
Well actually the NRL Stats are 4 rounds in and one thing is for sure they much more impressive than last years NRL figures. These guys are slowly but surely catching the AFL in terms of attendance. You can't deny that 4,000 being the lowest crowd for pre-season NRL tests is pretty good. One would think that Melbourne vs Carlton could get at least that on a good day.

Anyway I first noticed a AFL trend after a sharp drop in pre-season cup attendances and I really don't expect the situation to get any better either when revisited later in the season.

One of the silliest things you've done is actually try to compare NRL crowds to AFL crowds. Even at their best total NRL crowds are pitiful and even at their worst total AFL crowds will always be good, and even then the 2 codes aren't even close. If ever there's a recipe fopr looking stupid and "copping a hiding" on here, that type of thread would just about do it. Can't believe you were stupid enough to even try.

finders said:

Exactly, people just ignore the thugby trolls, like littledyck, with the "my **** is bigger than yours" threads.

Wish the mods would p*** their threads off to the thugby board & let them pleasure themselves there. :D

finders said:

you reckon ?
what do you base this on ?
i can tell you that although I have played and occasionally watched rugby I've passionately supported Aussie Rules my whole life.

what is wrong with a comparison. Is it so taboo ?

is it a crime to care about the future and growth of your favourite code ?

does any one actually want to admit that the crowds are disapointing or do you all have your heads in the sand ?

fishmonger said:
does any one actually want to admit that the crowds are disapointing or do you all have your heads in the sand ?

In a way, I'd actually like to be able to say that the crowds have been disappointing. Certainly the crowds for the Mickey Mouse Cup were lower than the AFL would have liked (or expected).

A drop in attendances (and more importantly television ratings) might make the AFL sit up and take notice of the direction in which the game is headed - a direction which is almost universally deplored by footy supporters everywhere.

However, there are just so many factors as to why crowd figures for round 1 were relatively low. To draw any conclusions after just one round is fraught with dangers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RL had purposely matched the two teams that would get the biggest crowd for round 1, and good crowd figures they did get.
If I am correct the average AFL crowd attendance for last year was the highest ever.

fishmonger said:
you reckon ?
what do you base this on ?
i can tell you that although I have played and occasionally watched rugby I've passionately supported Aussie Rules my whole life.

what is wrong with a comparison. Is it so taboo ?

is it a crime to care about the future and growth of your favourite code ?

Don't need to admit anything other than the fact you're thinking like a complete f@uckin' idiot. Crowds were 260,000 first match with an average "draw is excellent. Crowds were at records levels last year and would have been extremely happy with the crowd last weekend given the draw and their locations and vaarying days & times (Sunday night and Monday night with an interstate involved). The more I think about it the more I think about how good those crowds were. Coming of a record year, you're drawing conclusions based on one match that actually had good crowds. how stupid is that???

Pre-season don't mean sh1t, especially as there was alot on this year. Adelaide people don't always turn up to these things, have a look at some of the finals crowds Port Adelaide have drawn over the years. It also clashed with the Commonwealth Games. Adelaide people may have come over here to watch the Commonwealth Games or stayed at home to watch it on TV. I love my AFL but spent most of the night watching the Commonwealth Games with only occasional check of the scores of the NAB final. It's a once off.

You compare crowds from the previous Pre-season Final's. Did it occur to you that in 2005 Carlton were playing an interstate team from Perth (ie West Coast) and drew 43,000. You expect hordes of WA people to flood over here for that? You expect that to draw as much St.Kilda and Geelong from the year before that, two Victorian teams. If you thought last year was a trend, how do you then explain the record H & A crowds then with not a full MCG in use.

So no, our head is not in the sand!! You're just making stupid, ridiculous statements based on very little fact.

fishmonger said:
AFL crowds have been down in the NAB Cup, pre-season and opening rounds of 2006, whereas NRL crowds have been growing.

I know that the NRL has been going for a few rounds already and has no pre-season cup as such and AFL is only in round 1, but there are some interesting comparisons early on:

Lowest crowd in 2006
* NRL = 4,000 (pre-season test): Cronulla vs Bulldogs
* AFL = 1,500 (pre-season test): Melbourne vs Kangaroos

Biggest crowd in 2006
* NRL = 46,229 (round 1): Brisbane vs Nth Queensland
* AFL = 45,339 (round 1): Essendon vs Sydney

Average crowds 2006 (2005)
* AFL = 32,508 (35,696)
* NRL = 18,296 (16,468)

NRL average crowds are over half of the AFL's average for 2006, whereas AFL crowds are usually more than double.
NRL crowds are up by 10% and AFL down by 15%.

Sure there is no MCG at the moment, but surely the 55,000 seat Telstra Dome never looked like reaching anyhere near capacity and should have at least done better than the NRL in round one. As well as this, the NAB Cup crowds were nothing short of pathetic - especially in Melbourne. Even the NAB Cup grand final couldn't draw a decent crowd in Adelaide.

These AFL figures are pretty damn dissapointing in my opinion and the NRL have definately got the wood on the AFL at the start of this season.

And I wouldn't blame the Commonwealth Games as the interstate homegames for West Coast and Port Adelaide both got round 1 crowds that are lower than their last year's average both for what would normally be called 'blockbuster' games.

Some worrying signs here for the AFL and they have had nothing to gloat about crowd wise this season.

Thoughts ?

If you do your maths right, the afl crowds are down by only 8.93097%

also

NRL figures are up by 11.01%

get your facts right doofus :mad:

Fact: Canberra Raiders pulled 9000 to their home game last weekend.

If an AFL team pulled 9000 to a match at their home ground, the media and the league would be up in arms!

Maybe the Kangas should stick around in Canberra and try to capture this market and be the 2nd biggest game in the capital, with a long term goal of getting number 1.

Jimthegreat said:
Pre-season don't mean sh1t, especially as there was alot on this year. Adelaide people don't always turn up to these things, have a look at some of the finals crowds Port Adelaide have drawn over the years. It also clashed with the Commonwealth Games. Adelaide people may have come over here to watch the Commonwealth Games or stayed at home to watch it on TV. I love my AFL but spent most of the night watching the Commonwealth Games with only occasional check of the scores of the NAB final. It's a once off.
Gawd has this become an excuses board or what ?

OK fine, but where is the chest beating that the AFL did last year about pre-season crowd figures ?
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=preseason&spg=display&articleid=190187

Jimthegreat said:
You compare crowds from the previous Pre-season Final's. Did it occur to you that in 2005 Carlton were playing an interstate team from Perth (ie West Coast) and drew 43,000. You expect hordes of WA people to flood over here for that? You expect that to draw as much St.Kilda and Geelong from the year before that, two Victorian teams. If you thought last year was a trend, how do you then explain the record H & A crowds then with not a full MCG in use.
Did it occur to you that way back in 2001, when Port Adelaide won the Ansett Cup against Brisbane, they drew 35,304 ?

Jimthegreat said:
So no, our head is not in the sand!! You're just making stupid, ridiculous statements based on very little fact.

Since when do actual facts become "little facts" ?

Perhaps if you bring up the low Launceston crowd then this is an interesting statistic.

Lowest home & away crowd for 2006
* NRL = 9,399 (Canberra vs Pentrith @ Canberra - round 4)
* AFL = 13,862 (Hawthorn vs Fremantle @ Launceston - round 1)

You could hardly split the difference between these two. What I am trying to say is why does the AFL do its best to embarass itself by staging games in Launceston in round 1 ? Wouldn't it make more sense just to schedule more pre-season games there if pre-season games in Melbourne get less than they would in Tasmania.

I am not trying to dis the AFL, simply saying that the crowd comparisons could be better than this even at this early stage

AaronM said:
If you do your maths right, the afl crowds are down by only 8.93097%

also

NRL figures are up by 11.01%

get your facts right doofus :mad:

thanks for that. never was that good at maths. too lazy to do the exact calculations myself.

but these figures do confirm that AFL crowds are down and NRL crowds are up.

AaronM said:
will never beat the Brumbies.

once they start to lose you may find that they do. Raiders used to have a high attendance (for rugby) as well

finders said:

After one round badly distorted by the Comm Games just have a look how far the F1 GP crowds were also down before you start predicting the death of the AFL!
Lets compare the size of our d***s come the end of season 2006 not at the beginning eh?.
BTW before you shoot you mouth off aboutAFL crowds have a look at the shocking crowds at Telstra Stadium for RL so far this season?:D

Listen here ****************... The guy is an AFL supporter!! NO RUGBY LEAGUE supporter has come on this thread and bagged out AFL crowds! Your a big man bagging out RL supporters when we haven't bagged out your sport on this thread....

fishmonger said:
thanks for that. never was that good at maths. too lazy to do the exact calculations myself.

but these figures do confirm that AFL crowds are down and NRL crowds are up.

Please requote both sets of figures after 4 round of the afl aswell. I am sure you will find the afl figures alot higher then

Biggest crowd in 2006
* NRL = 46,229 (round 1): Brisbane vs Nth Queensland
* AFL = 45,339 (round 1): Essendon vs Sydney

NRL - Suncorp Stadium - 2 Qld teams
AFL - Telstra Dome - Vic Team and Interstate Team (though Swans have a following in Melb)

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowds in 2006 - AFL vs NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back