Crowds in 2006 - AFL vs NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

littleduck said:
a few, but not many.

if the socceroos in the next 5 years get consecutive 100,000 sellouts at the MCG does that mean AFL will be relegated to #2 in the Melbourne market? If not, why not?

Thats seems like a pretty stupid comment considering the socceroos will likely only play one game a year in Melbourne, whereas the swans play every 2nd week in sydney!

pcpp said:
Swans got 9,000 when they were as sh*t as Souths is now.
Yes but Australian Football is not supposed to be as popular as RL in Sydney?? So no comparison MATE!

finders said:
Yes but Australian Football is not supposed to be as popular as RL in Sydney?? So no comparison MATE!

Use your brain and maybe something might come to your head. :rolleyes:

Of course AFL isn't as popular as RL... the problem is, RL has 9 more teams than the AFL :rolleyes:

pcpp said:
Use your brain and maybe something might come to your head. :rolleyes:

Of course AFL isn't as popular as RL... the problem is, RL has 9 more teams than the AFL :rolleyes:

Yeah Afl isnt as popular as NRL, but the point they are making is that a game in Sydney draws more people the a most single NRL games in a round whereas that would never be the case in Melbourne!

AFL has done the hard yards in Sydney and its paying off!

Calcium Man said:
Thats seems like a pretty stupid comment considering the socceroos will likely only play one game a year in Melbourne, whereas the swans play every 2nd week in sydney!

Then again , I have to agree with CM on this , a more typical LD post .

FuManchu said:
that would be relevant if they played in melb, but I dont know if you've noticed, but its been 10 or so years since the roys have and 25 since south have. there is little history between these two new entities

Except the 25 years that you quoted . 25 years is quite a period .

cos789 said:
Except the 25 years that you quoted . 25 years is quite a period .

but the Lions in bris didnt exist all that 25 years, so Sydney and bris have no history to speak of in AFL rivalry except that they share a highway and are north of melbourne and that they get salary cap concessions and that they are not the biggest sports in their cities and and and

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FuManchu said:
but the Lions in bris didnt exist all that 25 years, so Sydney and bris have no history to speak of in AFL rivalry

No means absolutely nothing . So you're definately wrong in that respect .
You can argue about the degree of rivalry , go ahead I think nobody's really interested in the degree of rivalry .But as someone who has lived in Sydney and Brisbane and gone to a huge amount of games and followed them closely I can say that the Australian Football attending public in Sydney and Brisbane turn out for Swans Vs Lions matches generally more than other clubs generally (giving respect for the distribution curve) and have done so for a long period . You say it's not rivalry , indeed you give creedance to commonality .I'll go with that .You're implying rivalry is the same as dislike .
Brisbane is about the hardest team to dislike , but verybody likes to beat them because of their premiership run .

cos789 said:
You can argue about the degree of rivalry , go ahead I think nobody's really interested in the degree of rivalry .But as someone who has lived in Sydney and Brisbane and gone to a huge amount of games and followed them closely I can say that the Australian Football attending public in Sydney and Brisbane turn out for Swans Vs Lions matches generally more than other clubs generally (giving respect for the distribution curve) and have done so for a long period . You say it's not rivalry , indeed you give creedance to commonality .I'll go with that .You're implying rivalry is the same as dislike .
Brisbane is about the hardest team to dislike , but verybody likes to beat them because of their premiership run .

Syd v Coll in sydney is better attended than Syd v Bris in sydney.

As for the Lions, I respect them, but I dont like them at all.

The main people in this thread who've been arguing logically and fairly have been the pro-AFL mob, like FuManchu, Rob, Cos, etc.

This thread's concluding consensus is that AFL gets bigger crowds, and gets competitively good crowds (roughly on a par, sometimes better, sometimes less) in pro-NRL cities like Sydney/Brisbane.

RL gets large TV ratings and poor crowds. AFL gets healthy-to-large TV ratings and large-to-huge crowds.

There are factors here and there why - for Souths, Swans, Lions, Waratahs, SOO, International RL, etc, etc.

But the bottom line is that AFL is by far the most popular football code in Australia - popularity meaning overall including TV, crowds, junior involvement, etc.

AFL > RL.

How about a more challenging argument like RU v RL for a thread??

g.g. said:
The main people in this thread who've been arguing logically and fairly have been the pro-AFL mob, like FuManchu, Rob, Cos, etc.

This thread's concluding consensus is that AFL gets bigger crowds, and gets competitively good crowds (roughly on a par, sometimes better, sometimes less) in pro-NRL cities like Sydney/Brisbane.

RL gets large TV ratings and poor crowds. AFL gets healthy-to-large TV ratings and large-to-huge crowds.

There are factors here and there why - for Souths, Swans, Lions, Waratahs, SOO, International RL, etc, etc.

But the bottom line is that AFL is by far the most popular football code in Australia - popularity meaning overall including TV, crowds, junior involvement, etc.

AFL > RL.

This is a pretty fair summation of it all.

As for socceroo crowds in Melbourne mattering. Nonsense. The real comparison is the Victory - only melbourne A League club - with an average of 14,000 compared to 10 AFL clubs with averages of about 35 to 40,000 each. You might as well argue that huge Bledisloe cup games at Telstra stadium make union bigger that League in Sydney.

Any team wearing the green will get huge support.

cos789 said:

then how do you explain 29,000 in a 42,000 seat stadium on a perfect day?

g.g. said:

Most of them don't argue fairly OR logically (especially fumanchu - lol) at all. You're biased and definitely can't give.... however, the few that have argued fairly from the AFL mob have given reasonable points and I agree with most of them.

A bit less overall than RL in Brisbane... but hardly comparable to RL in Sydney.

Just wondering, if you think RL gets poor crowds... what do you think of RU and Soccer crowds, which are probably <1 million a year.

RL gets excellent crowds. AFL gets enormous crowds.

Overall, yes, but:

TV is comparable (and less) with NRL ratings when you include regional ratings.

Crowds, it obviously dominates.

Not that many juniors in NSW and QLD (but growing) and across Australia, Soccer participation beats AFL in every state.

AFL is obviously bigger than RL.

No, that argument is about as pointless as comparing AFL v RL crowds.

Rob said:
What utter crap. AFL matches rate much much higher than NRL matches. The gap is as big as the gap in crowds.

Yeah, you seem intelligent. :rolleyes:

Would you like to show me the proof if you're so confident?

http://www.freetvaust.com.au/SiteMe...ents/e3ae2fda-c4eb-4476-a9f4-7582d3c3e7f2.pdf

Rugby league

4/40 top programs in the cities
9/40 top programs in regional areas (2 entertainment/post match programs)
39/40 top programs on Pay TV

Australian Football

4/40 top programs in the cities (2 entertainment/post match programs)
2/40 top programs in regional areas (1 post match program)
0/40 top programs on Pay TV

Top 5 rating matches

AFL Grand Final - 3.386 million metro, 0.909 million regional - 4.295 million
NRL Grand Final - 2.563 million metro, 1.496 million regional - 4.059 million
SOO 3 - 1.861 metro, 1.220 regional - 3.081 million
SOO 2 - 1.758 metro, 1.237 regional - 2.995 million
SOO 1 - 1.733, 1.207 regional - 2.940 million

You see, more intelligent AFL supporters like g.g. acknowledge that RL gets excellent ratings. Not sure how he percieved you as intelligent though.

pcpp said:
Yeah, you seem intelligent. :rolleyes:

Would you like to show me the proof if you're so confident?

http://www.freetvaust.com.au/SiteMe...ents/e3ae2fda-c4eb-4476-a9f4-7582d3c3e7f2.pdf

Rugby league

4/40 top programs in the cities
9/40 top programs in regional areas (2 entertainment/post match programs)
39/40 top programs on Pay TV

Australian Football

4/40 top programs in the cities (2 entertainment/post match programs)
2/40 top programs in regional areas (1 post match program)
0/40 top programs on Pay TV

Top 5 rating matches

AFL Grand Final - 3.386 million metro, 0.909 million regional - 4.295 million
NRL Grand Final - 2.563 million metro, 1.496 million regional - 4.059 million
SOO 3 - 1.861 metro, 1.220 regional - 3.081 million
SOO 2 - 1.758 metro, 1.237 regional - 2.995 million
SOO 1 - 1.733, 1.207 regional - 2.940 million

You see, more intelligent AFL supporters like g.g. acknowledge that RL gets excellent ratings. Not sure how he percieved you as intelligent though.

I especially like this bit!!

Data is sourced from OzTAM, RegTAM and ATR compiled by Survey Audits. *Total metro share includes spill. ^Total regional shares are for mainland markets and exclude spill. Please note; metro and regional data cannot be combined to provide a national estimate.
National pay TV program averages are totals for capital cities and regional areas sourced from OzTAM's national subscription database. All program results represent an average of all times aired within the analysis period.

MickZu said:
I especially like this bit!!

Data is sourced from OzTAM, RegTAM and ATR compiled by Survey Audits. *Total metro share includes spill. ^Total regional shares are for mainland markets and exclude spill. Please note; metro and regional data cannot be combined to provide a national estimate.
National pay TV program averages are totals for capital cities and regional areas sourced from OzTAM's national subscription database. All program results represent an average of all times aired within the analysis period.

Hardly relevant, even though "they shouldn't be combined" for whatever reason, it doesn't give either code any distinct advantage or disadavantage unless you're trying to say that ozTAM, RegTAM and ATR somehow conspiring to deliberately advantage rugby league (it's a conspiracy!) :rolleyes:

littleduck said:
then how do you explain 29,000 in a 42,000 seat stadium on a perfect day?
Brisbane 16th on the ladder. :rolleyes:

The week to week national ratings of the AFL smash the RL. There is a reason for the AFL not the nRL getting 780 million over 5 years. To use SOO and GF to prove anything other than the nRL get a few high rating games a year is ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowds in 2006 - AFL vs NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back