Club Legend
Feb 3, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows, Centrals
NORWOOD
Seniors - Massie (OUT groin injury), Meeson (fp)
Reserves - Gibson

CENTRALS
reserves - Griffen

NORTH
Seniors - Ladhams (rr)
Reserves - Nye (hbf)

STURT
Seniors - Smith (thigh injury), Begley (fb)

GLENELG
Seniors - Bryce Gibbs
Reserves - Hinge, Andrews, Schuback
**no sign of Bode or Krueger

EAGLES
Seniors - Watts (fb), Bock (chb), Stevens (ff) Knights named on the bench
Reserves - possibly Knights

SOUTH
Seniors - Van Berlo (hbf)

WEST
Seniors - Jericho (fp)

good to see gibbs in the seniors, i heard kg and cornesy talking about him the other night with clarkey cant wait to see him play, pressure is building

Interesting... So Gibbs is in the seniors, what, 18 months before he's eligible to be drafted?

Just as a comparison, how long was Cooney playing seniors before he was drafted?

Cheers Jerome.

Some great signs there. Very happy to see Knights on the bench, is it a Saturday game? I said last year Fantasia did it again with the late pick. Let's just hope he continues his impressive form.

Bryce Gibbs at 16 years of age playing for Glenelg Seniors is a wonderful achievement. He's got a load of talent and fingers crossed the Father-Son rule remains the same.

Watts named at Full Back has me a bit concerned. His best form for the Eagles has been in the forward line, and despite this he's playing back. We need him to continue his good form in front of the goals and develop him as a forward. Putting him at Full Back is not going to help. Let's just hope it changes of gameday.

Any news on where Gibson's playing?

DaveW said:
Interesting... So Gibbs is in the seniors, what, 18 months before he's eligible to be drafted?

Just as a comparison, how long was Cooney playing seniors before he was drafted?

I'm pretty sure Cooney played R1 of his U/18 season, therefore Gibbs would be 8-9 months ahead of him or about 3/4 of a season ahead of him.

Even if he doesn't reach the status that Cooney did before his draft, it still looks as though we will be getting well worth it for our third rounder.

Just on Gibbs, if we're getting a top 5 pick for a 3rd rounder, this fits in perfectly to have a real crack at Pav when macca23 says he wants to come home, at the end of '06. We have the luxury of giving up our first round draft pick plus something else for the big Paveloy without really losing anything.

Bring on '07. :D

Stiffy_18 said:
I might be wrong here and someone might know the facts but I think Angus Monfries is the youngest player to make SANFL senior debut and he was 16 and a number of months.

Is Bryce breaking this record?????? :confused:

I think the record for the youngest player to make his SANFL debut was West Adelaide's Dexter Kennedy who was 15 years and 11 months when he debuted in the early 1970's.

doiler said:
I think the record for the youngest player to make his SANFL debut was West Adelaide's Dexter Kennedy who was 15 years and 11 months when he debuted in the early 1970's.

I can't remember if Wayne Slattery broke this record or just missed it.

Bockchoy67 said:
Cheers Jerome.

Some great signs there. Very happy to see Knights on the bench, is it a Saturday game? ?

Eags V North at Woodville on Saturday. It will be on ABC TV @ 2.30

Bockchoy67 said:
Watts named at Full Back has me a bit concerned.
Is this the sort of experience we want Watts and co to be getting? :rolleyes:
Yes a couple of games at full back should see him cherry ripe to slot straight in at full forward for the crows.
If anyone actually thinks that having Watts running around in the SANFL is achieving a **********ing thing at the moment, they are fooling themselves. :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is Nye going ? Surely he'd have to be a close to a call up to the North seniors with his recent form ? Keen to see how Knights goes on the TV. Hopefully he can get some quality touches and do enough to keep his spot for the upcoming weeks.

At this rate Krueger (unfortunately) would almost have to be a sure thing to be delisted at the end of the year ..

Wood_Duck said:
Yes a couple of games at full back should see him cherry ripe to slot straight in at full forward for the crows.
If anyone actually thinks that having Watts running around in the SANFL is achieving a **********ing thing at the moment, they are fooling themselves. :mad:

Well for starters, this line up is no guarantee as to where he will start on the weekend. I am sure he will play forward at some stage of the match. Relax dude :)

Wood_Duck said:

yep that's the way I see it too. No wonder he is supposedly getting pis*sed off with Adelaide.

Just because he is named there, doesn't actually mean he will play there!! Besides, the AFC might have requested that Fergus work on the defensive side of his game, and the Eagles have thrown him a tough task to prove himself, nothing wrong in taking a chance in a kid and if it doesn't work, throw him up forward! ;)

Wood_Duck said:

Have I missed something because according to the team sheets on www.theadvertiser.com.au he isn’t even named to play for Woodville – West Torrens Eagles? He was a late withdrawal last week with a corky and has not been named this week; he hasn’t come up and out injured.

Regardless where he plays he has to develop his frame and skill to adapt to playing a ‘key position’ as long as he is being given the responsibility to play one of the 4 main posts in the spine, fall forward or Centre Half forward, Fall back or Centre Half back at this stage its about development and composure. He will learn more in 10 games at Centre half Forward in the AFL then he would playing a season in the SANFL.

GrandfinalGurus said:
Just because he is named there, doesn't actually mean he will play there!! Besides, the AFC might have requested that Fergus work on the defensive side of his game, and the Eagles have thrown him a tough task to prove himself, nothing wrong in taking a chance in a kid and if it doesn't work, throw him up forward! ;)
The eagles first priority is to Dale Ellis and Mark Passador to develop them as key position players, once Fergus Watts steps up a level he will be lost to the SANFL, Dale Ellis is only on a rookie list with the Power and potentially a Grand Final Winner for the club, Fergus Watts is a developing player who has much bigger plans in the next few years, even this year and could be lost to the eagles if he has a few good week and plays for the AFC.

crows98 said:
The eagles first priority is to Dale Ellis and Mark Passador to develop them as key position players, once Fergus Watts steps up a level he will be lost to the SANFL, Dale Ellis is only on a rookie list with the Power and potentially a Grand Final Winner for the club, Fergus Watts is a developing player who has much bigger plans in the next few years, even this year and could be lost to the eagles if he has a few good week and plays for the AFC.

This is a good argument for why the AFC should have control of an SANFL side.

drakeyv2 said:
This is a good argument for why the AFC should have control of an SANFL side.
Exactly right but the SANFL clubs want to have a piece of cake and eat it as well. :mad:

crows98 said:

Is it becuase of that or is watts the 3rd choice foward option at the Eagles?? I would have thought, regardless of whether he will be lost to the AFL or not, you would play him in the position where he would be most dominate??

SpringChoke said:
Is it becuase of that or is watts the 3rd choice foward option at the Eagles?? I would have thought, regardless of whether he will be lost to the AFL or not, you would play him in the position where he would be most dominate??
The last 3 or 4 weeks Mark Stevens would have been the forward option with Ellis and Passador before Fergus Watts hence why he has been played as a key defender. The little bit I know about football (and its not much) is that 4 tall’s (Stevens, Ellis, Passador and Watts) in one forward line doesn’t work so that’s why FW may have been moved back to defence with a BF fav Nathan Bock (AKA chicken man)

Personally if I was the coach of the WWT I would play a regular Eagles player in front of a AFL listed player because that player would know the structure, philosophies and the attributes of the players around him, something a AFL player may not have grasped in his short time in that environment (1 session a week other than the game)

crows98 said:
The last 3 or 4 weeks Mark Stevens would have been the forward option with Ellis and Passador before Fergus Watts hence why he has been played as a key defender. The little bit I know about football (and its not much) is that 4 tall’s (Stevens, Ellis, Passador and Watts) in one forward line doesn’t work so that’s why FW may have been moved back to defence with a BF fav Nathan Bock (AKA chicken man)

Personally if I was the coach of the WWT I would play a regular Eagles player in front of a AFL listed player because that player would know the structure, philosophies and the attributes of the players around him, something a AFL player may not have grasped in his short time in that environment (1 session a week other than the game)

*alarm bells ringing*

as someone said in another thread Begley is in for Doughty and Jericho has gone to Melbourne with the team incase stiffy or skippy or someone else for that matter dont get up. But he will be on the first flight back in the morning so he can play in the league team tomorrow. Knights should play league and yes since the AFL team was introduced stiffy Angus Monfries is the youngest player to make his league debut at 16 years and 2 or 3 months from memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows in SANFL Round 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back