Adelaide
Who should stay and who should go.

Here is my squad

Gone from 2010
Brett Burton - Retired
Tyson Edwards - Retired
Simon Goodwin - Retired
Trent Hentschel - Retired or Delisted
Andrew McLoed - Retired or Delisted (knees shot, crows need to move forward)
Will Young - Not convinced
Jarhaan Jacky - waste of a draft pick and a year too long on the list
Chris Schmidt - Not convinced

(wow really the some of the who's who of the crows in that list, so sad to see)

Upgraded off Rookie List
Luke Thompson
Aiden Riley
Matthew Wright

I know this is virtually all rookies but they are worth the punt considering the short draft this year and the next.

Draft Picks
8 - maybe trade a couple for players

Potential Player Trades
3 - 4 max

Captain
Scott Thompson

Playing List
Tony Armstrong
Nathan Bock
Myke Cook
James Craig
Patrick Dangerfield
Phil Davis
Michael Doughty
Richard Douglass
Jonathon Griffin
Jack Gunston
Ricky Henderson
Matthew Jaensch
Graham Johncock
David Mackay
Chris Knights
Ivan Maric
Brodie Martin
Shaun McKernan
Brad Moran
Andy Otten
Jared Petrenko
Jason Porplyzia
Brent Reilly
Ben Rutten
James Sellar
Sam Shaw
Rory Sloan
Scott Stevens
Brad Symes
Daniel Tahlia
Scott Thompson
Kurt Tippett
Nathan Van Berlo
Bernie Vince
Taylor Walker

I know it's not a popular opinion but Jacky has something. He has had a horror run with injuries and off-field distractions in the formative parts of his career. I'd think the club will let him play out the second year on his contract before making a decision (barring Jacky deciding himself that he wishes to go home). There is a player in this kid.

Look, I know it's not a popular opinion but Jacky has something. I'd think the club will let him play out the second year on his contract before making a decision (barring Jacky deciding himself that he wishes to go home).
You do realise he was back in the reserves this week?

3rd year, playing reserves. Says it all.

Oh and Young won't be delisted, so I stopped reading there. :thumbsu:

With all these retirements we'll have by the end of the year, I very much doubt there will be more than a couple of delisitings.

Edwards - Retired
Goodwin - Retired
Burton - Retired
McLeod - Retired (legs are shot)
Hentschel - Retired (legs are shot)
Stevens - Retired (too many concussions)

That's already 6 players, and Donnelly is gone for sure.

Now, if we just leave it at that, let's look at the rookies:

Henderson - Elevated
Schmidt - Elevated
Jaensch - Elevated
Wright - Elevated/Kept on
Thompson - Kept on
Riley - Kept on
Donnelly - Delisted

So that's at least three players elevated to the senior list, possibly four (or even five). Our rookie list is really quite strong.

As for delistings, I very much doubt Schmidt will be gone. Yes, the AFC have been known to make harsh calls from time to time, and I'm not sold on him either, but you need players like him at least for depth. And he hasn't been poor by any means.

As for Young, as you basing this off his poor debut? Otherwise the bloke has been in good form in the SANFL. Not sure where you pulled this one from.

Jacky is definitely one that has to be considered. Now, he's got a few things working in his favour - his performances are getting better, the club rates him quite highly, and the bloke still has a year on his contract. It just depends whether the club thinks he's worth it at this stage. It could go either way.

Also keep in mind that we are likely to lose one or two players, either through trades or the Gold Coast.

Also would not be surprised at Doughty retiring, but he may stay on because we can't have every single bloke leave at once.

Jacky has just returned from a decent hamstring injury (a 4-6 week i think it was)..

While i'm not sold that he will be a player, he's been unlucky with injury over the last 2 years.. Hard to tell considering the only time he's got some games together was when he pretty well first arrived and about 18 years old..

PS to above post, Doughty won't retire yet and he's said that. It'd be the clubs choice if he's gone and i don't think they will be throwing him out due to the other older players leaving

PS to above post, Doughty won't retire yet and he's said that. It'd be the clubs choice if he's gone and i don't think they will be throwing him out due to the other older players leaving

Players say a lot of things. Doesn't mean they're true.

He could just as easily be considering retirement but due to numerous reasons feel it's not worth bringing to public knowledge yet.

I'm just saying that, by season's end, I wouldn't be surprised if he gives it up. He's 31 and the game is slowly catching up to him. At the same time, if he stays on I wouldn't be surprised either, particularly considering just how many of the older players are hanging up the boots. A few experienced heads will be required next year and if we get rid of all our 30+ year olds, suddenly there's an imbalance.

I do think Stevens and Hentschel can be almost written off though, although Stevo might stay on. Craigy has a love affair with the bloke so it won't be because of performance, but more likely all the concussions getting to him.

Yeah possibly, i think doughty will stay on another though..

Stevens.. Stevens.. Ugh.. I pray nightly they decide his time has come..

But remember, he kicked X goals in a final once..

Funny how that game is always brought up by craig.. The fact he does that shows it's nearly all stevens has done

Schmidt won't go, as much as i think hes just not a quality player, he will be retained for depth, hopefully only play for 5 a year. Young will be great, give him time, he played against a small forward on debut because of poor matchups, he was never going to win that battle. Also i wouldn't be against a Cook trade, if Collingwood want him lets get a good pick/player.

Here is my squad

Gone from 2010
Brett Burton - Retired
Tyson Edwards - Retired
Simon Goodwin - Retired

Upgraded off Rookie List
Luke Thompson
Aiden Riley
Matthew Wright

I know this is virtually all rookies but they are worth the punt considering the short draft this year and the next.

Draft Picks

Potential Player Trades
3 - 4 max

Captain
Scott Thompson

Playing List
Tony Armstrong
Nathan Bock
Myke Cook
James Craig
Patrick Dangerfield
Phil Davis
Michael Doughty
Richard Douglass
Jonathon Griffin
Jack Gunston
Ricky Henderson
Matthew Jaensch
Graham Johncock
David Mackay
Chris Knights
Ivan Maric
Brodie Martin
Shaun McKernan
Brad Moran
Andy Otten
Jared Petrenko
Jason Porplyzia
Brent Reilly
Ben Rutten
James Sellar
Sam Shaw
Rory Sloan
Scott Stevens
Brad Symes
Daniel Tahlia
Scott Thompson
Kurt Tippett
Nathan Van Berlo
Bernie Vince
Taylor Walker

you lost me at Will Young :eek:

Young should not be judged by his debut game, the entire back 6 was exposed due to poor turn overs and poor execution of the zone

Here is my squad

Gone from 2010
Brett Burton - Retired
Tyson Edwards - Retired
Simon Goodwin - Retired

Upgraded off Rookie List
Luke Thompson
Aiden Riley
Matthew Wright

Draft Picks

Potential Player Trades
3 - 4 max

Captain
Scott Thompson

Playing List
Tony Armstrong
Nathan Bock
Myke Cook
James Craig
Patrick Dangerfield
Phil Davis
Michael Doughty
Richard Douglass
Jonathon Griffin
Jack Gunston
Ricky Henderson
Matthew Jaensch
Graham Johncock
David Mackay
Chris Knights
Ivan Maric
Brodie Martin
Shaun McKernan
Brad Moran
Andy Otten
Jared Petrenko
Jason Porplyzia
Brent Reilly
Ben Rutten
James Sellar
Sam Shaw
Rory Sloan
Scott Stevens
Brad Symes
Daniel Tahlia
Scott Thompson
Kurt Tippett
Nathan Van Berlo
Bernie Vince
Taylor Walker
How did you get Henderson and Jaensch on your list without upgrading them?
With your other 3 upgrades you need to delist 5 more to have 8 picks?
Actually I think that should be 6 as only one eligible for the veteran list would be Doughty

Here is my squad

Gone from 2010
Brett Burton - Retired
Tyson Edwards - Retired
Simon Goodwin - Retired

Upgraded off Rookie List
Luke Thompson
Aiden Riley
Matthew Wright

Draft Picks

Potential Player Trades
3 - 4 max

Captain
Scott Thompson

Playing List
Tony Armstrong
Nathan Bock
Myke Cook
James Craig
Patrick Dangerfield
Phil Davis
Michael Doughty
Richard Douglass
Jonathon Griffin
Jack Gunston
Ricky Henderson
Matthew Jaensch
Graham Johncock
David Mackay
Chris Knights
Ivan Maric
Brodie Martin
Shaun McKernan
Brad Moran
Andy Otten
Jared Petrenko
Jason Porplyzia
Brent Reilly
Ben Rutten
James Sellar
Sam Shaw
Rory Sloan
Scott Stevens
Brad Symes
Daniel Tahlia
Scott Thompson
Kurt Tippett
Nathan Van Berlo
Bernie Vince
Taylor Walker

So your join date is June 10 and you start 2 threads, one about everyones (well a lot of) fav player in Dangerfield being overrated and now (I'm still waiting for him to show more) you say to delist Will Young when he obviously has some real potential and is young, semms a little strange to me...:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Senior Players
Burton - retired (already announced)
Edwards - retired (already gone)
Goodwin - retired (already announced)
McLeod - retired
Hentschel - retired
Stevens - delisted (we live in hope)
Jacky - delisted

Doughty - upgraded to veteran list

Rookie Listed Players
Jaensch - upgraded to senior list
Schmidt - upgraded to senior list (but probably not a long term proposition)
Henderson - upgraded to senior list
Riley - retained on rookie list
Wright - retained on rookie list
Thompson - retained on rookie list
Donnelly - delisted

With 3 rookie promotions and only 1 veteran upgrade, these changes would leaves us with just 3 "live" selections in the ND. My guess is that we might create a couple more vacancies by trading away some players (Vince, McKernan, Griffin & Bock appear the most likely candidates - not necessarily in that order). We would also have 4 selections in the RD - possibly plus Martyn (if he's eligible for drafting this year).

Anyone suggesting that Young will be delisted has rocks in their head. Traded, maybe, but delisted? No chance.

Captain - Nathan van Berlo

Just a thought, but does anyone see Sellar as being a possible delistee? This is now his 4th season on the list and he has yet to cement a position in the team. He was looking good early in the season, before getting injured - but his form in the SANFL hasn't been anywhere near good enough to justify senior selection since returning from injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they have been already upgraded. the crows had two free spots on the list at the beginning of the year.
No they haven't and no, they didn't.

Rookies who get upgraded to the senior list during the season, either as replacement for LTI listed players, as nominated rookies, or as "freebies" after R12, are returned to the rookie list at the end of the season. If we wish to permanently upgrade them to the senior list then we need to do so via the ND, where we use our last selections to "draft" them onto our senior list (no other club can draft them, so there is no risk involved).

Schmidt won't go, as much as i think hes just not a quality player, he will be retained for depth, hopefully only play for 5 a year. Young will be great, give him time, he played against a small forward on debut because of poor matchups, he was never going to win that battle. Also i wouldn't be against a Cook trade, if Collingwood want him lets get a good pick/player.

I wouldn't mind trading Cook either.

The club do rate him, but you would have to say that his disposal just isn't at the level required. It was a problem when he was drafted and it's still a problem now.

He has tricks to his game, and his inside work can be excellent, but I feel that he might not have that extra class that AFL requires. At the same time, I do feel that with time he will be able to minimise his deficiences through his proficiences - most notably his hands in close, his pace and ability above the head.

I just think we have better options, both in our current list and with the players that we'll pick up over the next few years. If we can get something good for him, then I say good for it. Otherwise, he's worth keeping on. But he'll be under more and more pressure if he keeps failing to take the next step and deliver on his potential.

Vader There would be 5 rookie picks if we dont take Martyn
We're currently allowed 6 + any former NSW Scholarship holders (Riley). That will rise to 7 next year, possibly 8 depending on whether or not Doughty is retained.

Martyn is a NSW Scholarship Holder, so upgrading him to the rookie list doesn't actually cost us a rookie list position. He's additional to our normal rookie list complement.

I have us retaining 2, plus Riley who is outside the list. Seems you're right - we'd have 5 rookie positions available, plus Martyn.

I think I forgot to account for the extra position created by us losing one of our veteran list positions.

Senior Players
Burton - retired (already announced)
Edwards - retired (already gone)
Goodwin - retired (already announced)
McLeod - retired
Hentschel - retired
Stevens - delisted (we live in hope)
Jacky - delisted

Doughty - upgraded to veteran list

Rookie Listed Players
Schmidt - upgraded to senior list (but probably not a long term proposition)
Henderson - upgraded to senior list
Riley - retained on rookie list
Wright - retained on rookie list
Thompson - retained on rookie list
Donnelly - delisted

With 3 rookie promotions and only 1 veteran upgrade, these changes would leaves us with just 3 "live" selections in the ND. My guess is that we might create a couple more vacancies by trading away some players (Vince, McKernan, Griffin & Bock appear the most likely candidates - not necessarily in that order). We would also have 4 selections in the RD - possibly plus Martyn (if he's eligible for drafting this year).

Anyone suggesting that Young will be delisted has rocks in their head. Traded, maybe, but delisted? No chance.

Captain - Nathan van Berlo

Just a thought, but does anyone see Sellar as being a possible delistee? This is now his 4th season on the list and he has yet to cement a position in the team. He was looking good early in the season, before getting injured - but his form in the SANFL hasn't been anywhere near good enough to justify senior selection since returning from injury.

Didn't think about Doughty to 'veterans list' before...if it's a choice between that or an extra rookie pick then we might as well keep him for depth.

Agree with the rest of the departures, though i wish Jacky would give us a tiny glimpse of hope much like Griffin has done.

If needing an additional spot, I wouldn't be against declining to upgrade Schmidt and simply take the chance that we can re-rookie him. Seriously, if another club took him, good luck to him but he will never hurt us much in the future.

Re Sellar, i would hope there is a 0% chance of delisting him. Just as he looked like he would take the game on this year, he was injured. He isn't getting huge SANFL numbers but his work around the packs has been very good...great hands, very capable 2nd ruck, work ethic, much improved agility (has grown into his body now), good kick on him. I'm a fan...given a chance he'll be a great asset. Should have played instead of Stevens today. This week it should be Bock for Stevens, with Sellar the next in if anyone over 190cm gets injured, no matter what their position.

The other smokey for delisting could be Moran, like Hentschel he needs to prove his durability...but is younger, a natural athlete and is one of only 3 1R's on the list, so should get one more year.

Re trades, Bock didn't exactly sound convincing re contract negotiations...maybe he is off to GC?

Rookie Listed Players

If we only have 1 veteran next year we can upgrade 1 rookie to the main list at any time from the beginning of the season, right?

If so then as Jaensch is a first year rookie we may well keep him on the rookie list, knowing we can play him any time we want.

If we only have 1 veteran next year we can upgrade 1 rookie to the main list at any time from the beginning of the season, right?

If so then as Jaensch is a first year rookie we may well keep him on the rookie list, knowing we can play him any time we want.
We can. They're known as a "nominated rookie" and they don't require an LTI in order for them to play. To all intents and purposes they're treated the same as a senior listed player.

That said, I think Jaensch has done enough to justify an upgrade this year - and it would not be fair to expect him to remain on the rookie list. Provided he keeps his nose clean for the rest of the season, I would be very surprised if he's not upgraded.

I see him as a sweetener in trade deals.

But otherwise, he won't be delisted, especially not if Bock goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows squad circa 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back