Toast Crows steal Troy Menzel, play Andy Otten instead, delist him

Remove this Banner Ad

Gun player but still (admittedly by Troy) inconsistent in his time with us.

Heart in mouth watching him becuase youre always scared the knee is gonna blow. He's knocked it a few times and we all freaked out.

Not sure about this trade; when looked at along with the Henderson trade and the aquisition of the GWS boys + Pick 8 and Kerridge it could go either way.
Carlton only need 1 of the five players gained from the trade to exceed expectations and 1 or more to become solid contributors for the trade to be considered a success. I actually think that viewed in its entirety, it's a pretty solid move from the Blues.

Dixon will be unstoppable if he gets some continuity to his game. We will need Talia to eat Hartigan to try to match up on him.

It is the white elephant in the room with Dixon, what happens when he puts in a full season.

Don't get me wrong either, Port is just about the perfect club for him as they don't have any key forwards (ok so they have an over-cooked Schultz) and it may push him into the elite bracket.

For us though, as said i can't see him being much of an upgrade (if any) on our current incubents (ready to go KPF would be dead last on my wishlist right now) and seeing the price he commanded, well lets say i'm glad we weren't after him.

Especially when you consider Menzel adds in elite qualities in the two main areas we are weak in, it's a no-brainer who we bring in. It's a move that puts us a lot closer to a premiership then Dixon will.

I'd be esctatic as Menzel is a bigger need for us then Dixon.

It's questionable if Dixon is even an upgrade on Jenkins, whereas Menzel is a massive coup for our outside stocks.
Fair enough.

I'd be disappointed. (Repeat - I am THRILLED we got Menz.. I'm just talking if both were an option).

Dixon can play back/forward/ruck. Well. Priceless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, not really.

They ended up with Kerridge, a bunch of GWS players AND pick 8. Pick 8 especially is a pretty big get for them.

I don't really think Carlton have done too badly to be honest.

Edit: Actually, they had to give up their 2016 first round pick for that.

I'm thinking Carlton have had a very good trade period to date. Refreshed their list and have some good picks as well. Melbourne as well have done some good trading to get the high picks they have. To me the big losers have been Geelong.

Carlton only need 1 of the five players gained from the trade to exceed expectations and 1 or more to become solid contributors for the trade to be considered a success. I actually think that viewed in its entirety, it's a pretty solid move from the Blues.

They certainly wont struggle for a game with us. Big years for all five of them (the 4 GWS boys and Kerridge) in '16; a chance to shine in a side with poor depth in front of a new coach in a year that is already written off as a development year. Have all shown talent as juniors and many were former first round picks, so ball is well and truly in their court.

In a weak draft (outside of the first dozen or so players) to grab those blokes, and pick 8 for [Henderson and Menzel] is a pretty good outcome.

Our backline should be sorted more or less now. [Weitering, Plowman, Jacksch, Docherty] are young and talented plus [Touhy, Jamison, Simpson, Rowe] bring a bit of experience to ameliorate the slaughter thats coming. Probably another backman short (and they're often found in the RD or with lowish picks).

But by God though, look at our forward line. Look at it. Its the worst in the AFL by a country mile, and arguably ever.

Anyways; good luck with Menzel. He's got talent to burn.

He does look a fair bit like him on the park. What's so bad about that comment?

What's the problem that's a compliment to Wingard....some supporters geez...

He was saying Wingard has 2 AA's Menzel has none, that they go overboard with their over for the crows. The guy thought "plays like" means "is as good as". I imagine he was pacing back and forth in his lounge room with anger about the crow show on 5aa.

I'm thinking Carlton have had a very good trade period to date. Refreshed their list and have some good picks as well. Melbourne as well have done some good trading to get the high picks they have. To me the big losers have been Geelong.

Yet they were the team they highlighted on ABC news this morning.
Galoots.

He was saying Wingard has 2 AA's Menzel has none, that they go overboard with their over for the crows. The guy thought "plays like" means "is as good as". I imagine he was pacing back and forth in his lounge room with anger about the crow show on 5aa.

Would not surprise me if that call was a plant. Creates conversation for the rest of the show. Did hear it and the voice sounded put on to me.

Anyway - let's move on from Dixon. My views on his value (potential - it's definitely a risk) are clear.

I'm stoked we have Menzel! Quality kid and if he can stay off the injured lists will be in our best 22.

If he can go mid.. all the better. That's about the only place we lack a bit of high level quality right now.

Hahaha what a moron.

Yes, Wingard is an absolute gun. He's way better than Menzel at this stage and is more than likely to have a better career. That's not a slight on Menzel. He'll be a good pick up if he can be two-thirds the player Wingard is. But if that bloke can't see the similarities in their game-style, he doesn't know football!

Nah, not really.

They ended up with Kerridge, a bunch of GWS players AND pick 8. Pick 8 especially is a pretty big get for them.

I don't really think Carlton have done too badly to be honest.

Edit: Actually, they had to give up their 2016 first round pick for that.

I think they gave up Geelong's 2016 first round pick that they received for Henderson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Crows steal Troy Menzel, play Andy Otten instead, delist him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back