Cyril Rioli retires

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day he was just a forward pocket, and the bullshit level is starting to take on mini series proportions..
Slightly incongruous opinion with this other recent post you made in another thread.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...t-retired-part-2.1195947/page-8#post-56254445
Pick off defenders and stat padding midfielders. Not saying they aren't good players, just overrated.
The most underrated players in current footy are the pressure forwards.
Cyril was the greatest pressure forward the game has ever seen. The incredible chase-down tackles, lightning-quick handball smothers and freakish intercepts were his calling card. He made every teammate around him a better player. You can't ask for much more than that. It's the best attribute any footballer can have.

Last edited:

I have Cyril slightly behind Daniel Motlop ( who in my opinion is one of the most talented players ever to grace the field) when it comes to Indigenous small forwards but it can't be argued he has had a cracking career. When it comes down to it, we could all learn a thing or two from watching his highlights reel and if you ask me, that's pretty indicative of a good player. He'd certainly beat Ben Rutten in a foot race ;). Enjoy retirement Cyril, time to kick back with your millions and spend some quality time with the family. Good on you :thumbsu:
Cyril's highlight reel doesn't really scratch the surface of the value he provided Hawthorn. Bruce McAvaney loved all that stuff, but his teammates and most Hawthorn fans loved the blue collar team-oriented stuff he based his game around.

One of my favourite memories of Cyril is watching him in his 12th game (a teenager 70kgs dripping wet) stopping Nathan Bock (193cm, 100kg All Australian CHB) in his tracks with a front-on ball & all tackle. I could not believe my eyes. Bock tried to run through him and Cyril just wrapped him up and took him down.

Last edited:
Got the important job of minding Nick Smith in a couple of Grand Finals.
2 games for a return of 0.0

V good defensive small fwd though.

An injured Rioli is still better than any Swans small forward.

Put up Nick Smith’s career stats against Luke Breust why don’t you. The player who Sydney overlooked in the draft and told him he was too slow for the game. ;)

Cyril's highlight reel doesn't really scratch the surface of the value he provided Hawthorn. Bruce McAvaney loved all that stuff, but his teammates and most Hawthorn fans loved the blue collar team-oriented stuff he based his game around.

One of my favourite memories of Cyril is watching him in his 12th game (a teenager 70kgs dripping wet) stopping Nathan Bock (193cm, 100kg All Australian CHB) in his tracks with a front-on ball & all tackle. I could not believe my eyes. Bock tried to run through him and Cyril just wrapped him up and took him down.
I also loved when he rag dolled Max Rooke in the goal square in his first year as well, from that point on the opposition learnt never to take Cyril on when he's standing the mark.

Put up Nick Smith’s career stats against Luke Breust why don’t you. The player who Sydney overlooked in the draft and told him he was too slow for the game. ;)

I don't think Luke Bruests stats belong in a Cyril retirement thread.

Dont make insecure excuses and switch things away from Cyril, in a thread about Cyril.

Not everyone gets caught up in the hype. Kicked 11 in 12 games against us. Many dud big games with Smith on him.
Kicked 40 goals a season twice. :think:
34, 21, 27, 29, 39, 19, 20...and hyped to hell. THEN had his two best returns of 42 and 47, followed by 5 and 2. In reality we arnt talking big numbers in anyone's book.
22 goals in 18 finals. Yeah, i dunno :think:. Thats not exactly huge either, is it. Great that he got to play so many big games though.

Great tackler sure and damn quick...but everytime a tackle is made it "brings the rest of the team into the game".
Falls more into the class of "its not what you do, its the way you do it".

Always seemed a nice enough bloke, and played plenty of great games.

Last edited:
Dont make insecure excuses and switch things away from Cyril, in a thread about Cyril.

Not everyone gets caught up in the hype. Kicked 11 in 12 games against us. Many dud big games with Smith on him.
Kicked 40 goals a season twice. :think:
34, 21, 27, 29, 39, 19, 20...and hyped to hell. THEN had his two best returns of 42 and 47, followed by 5 and 2. In reality we arnt talking big numbers in anyone's book.
22 goals in 18 finals. Yeah, i dunno :think:. Thats not exactly huge either, is it. Great that he got to play so many big games though.

Great tackler sure and damn quick...but everytime a tackle is made it "brings the rest of the team into the game".
Falls more into the class of "its not what you do, its the way you do it".

Always seemed a nice enough bloke, and played plenty of great games.
Ah, yes. A thread on a Hawk legend wouldn’t be complete without old crusty Bollox weighing in with his negativity.

Rioli was the most unselfish forward I ever saw. He set up countless goals for Franklin, Roughead, Breust, Gunston, Williams and Puopolo.

Disparaging his goal tallies is the sort of dense argument I’d expect from someone who never saw him play.

The 2015 Grand Final is a perfect example of Rioli’s value. He kicked just 2 goals, but he won the Norm Smith because he had a hand in 11 of Hawthorn’s goals that day.

Stephen Milne, Steve Johnson and Michael O’Loughlin kicked way more goals than Rioli. Luke Breust averaged more goals per game. But I would pick Cyril in my team ahead of all of them.

Last edited:
I wonder whose opinions on Cyril are more valid: his teammates and coaches who LOVED what he brought to the team; plus opposition players and opposition coaches who universally admired and feared him...

Or the bitter Sydney and Geelong flogs on Big Footy who have done nothing but bitch about the Rioli “hype” throughout his stellar career. :rolleyes:

You sound a bit like Chewy. I wonder what happened to my hawthorn cheerleader buddy. U sure that aint you ?
Havent seen him since he nominated MydarlingSammypoo, Hodgymyhero, LetsgoRuffy, and iwannasuckoffcyril as part of 13 hawthorn players in a genuine attempt at an All Australian team prediction.

Yepp, was a time you'd have Cyrils babies given half a chance. U sure u aint Chewy ? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sound a bit like Chewy. I wonder what happened to my hawthorn cheerleader buddy. U sure that aint you ?
Havent seen him since he nominated MydarlingSammypoo, Hodgymyhero, LetsgoRuffy, and iwannasuckoffcyril as part of 13 hawthorn players in a genuine attempt at an All Australian team prediction.

Yepp, was a time you'd have Cyrils babies given half a chance. U sure u aint Chewy ? ;)
Does Google Translator have Village Idiot to English as an option?

A Fox Footy special on Cyril Rioli's highlights. Who okayed this? Dermott? My god, way overboard.
What about a package for those that are going to retire and played more games, etc at the end of the year.. only fair

The rabid over-promotion gets to the point where it only serves to diminish his reputation.

It's counter productive.

Snake_Baker - footy media is shit - we all know it.

Even so Hawthorn supporters are going to watch Dermie’s show because they love Cyril

Will neutrals? I think a few will. In multiple conversations with neutrals over the last few days they have said things like “I am really going to miss seeing that guy play”. So yeah - the media overexposes all good things and has for decades. Cyril is no exception

Snake_Baker - foot media is shit - we all know it.

Even so Hawthorn supporters are goig to watch Dermie’s show because they love Cyril

Will neutrals? I think a few will. In multiple conversations with neutrals over the last few days they have said things like “I am really going to miss seeing that guy play”. So yeah - the media overexposes all good things and has for decades. Cyril is no exception

This is the main board champ, not some Hawthorn cocoon.

My critique is not predominately about Rioli as a player, it's about cheesy media over promotion.

If that gets you triggered, then it's just your bad luck.

This is the main board champ, not some Hawthorn cocoon.

My critique is not predominately about Rioli as a player, it's about cheesy media over promotion.

If that gets you triggered, then it's just your bad luck.
Triggered?

He he. You’re the one having a cry over a tv show showing highlights of an opposition player hoping for “negative effects”

:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril Rioli retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back