D GRADE: Give me something...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well interesting weekend of results, with Leos falling heavily to Carey after some solid spruiking, Therry really tightening the screws on the Two Blues & Banyule with an impressive win, the Two Blues themselves almost pulling off a massive upset to split the relegation battle wide open, OG's getting back on track (just), and the Valley Boys keeping the finals door ajar.

Whispers have it the Animals may have been getting a little ahead of themselves. Some solid wins in recent weeks had them confident of an upset against a side that I think will be very tough to beat at the business end. All is not sweet for the Animals just yet, as they play 3 of the 4 in the mix for top spot, plus the Two Blues. Conceivably they could lose all four and if that is the case, the relegation game may not be over.

The Two Blues need to win all four, at the outside three, to avoid the drop, but interestingly play Banyule, Leos, the Valley and OM's at home. Could they start favorites in three of those given their recent form, and they only just fell to the Bushrangers first time around? Might be interesting if they can beat Banyule this week. Their effort against BT was full of merit with apparently 1 interchange only from halfway through the second and four key players out themselves. BT boys might be underestimating the quality of its victory on the weekend.

Rupo did what I had been predicting they would do for a long time and let themselves down after a cracking win last week. Disappointing but wasn't it an important win for the Therry boys, staring down relegation but now looking reasonably safe. What a first half from all accounts with the young gun Bannister (Jarrod i think) all over it. There's a guy I wouldn;t discount from B&F calculations because his marking and poise is certainly memorable.

OG's well, how good that win. The OM boys continue the saga of away game disappointments, and obviously now it's another four games of treading water. WIll be interesting to see how Russo's boys play out the season, I'm sure a disappointing performance like that will see them have a crack next week, but their motivation might be waning a touch. As for Old Geelong, they might just be back. Their two losses to Prahran and YV were by less than a kick and the form of those two sides has been reasonable. Maybe we've been prematurely harsh on the boys from Como. They'll still have an impact of some description come finals time.

Yarra kept the dream alive with a not unexpected victory over Banyule. Would be interested to hear about the discipline of the Bears Toohas, because the strong mail has been it has been v ordinary over the last four weeks and they may be severely on the slide. The margins in recent weeks would suggest that, and this week is a hige game v Two Blues. Lose it and the wooden spoon and relegation look likely, win it and they are back in with a serious chance of avoiding the drop. As for the Bushrangers, they have a couple of winnable games coming up v Leos & Prahran, but history shows these are th ones they sometimes drop. If they stay up, a finals berth beckons, its first in D1. Will they make history?

Loving D1 footy boys.

DG-Man said:
Is that so said:
I'm not sure i agree with this. Firstly, as a keen watcher of amatuer football, i rate the coaches of at least half a dozen D1 teams as pathetic. Both senoir coach and coaching staff. Knowledge of oppostion players, team plans, as well as their own team plans border on non existent. Don't get me wrong, i love D-Grade footy, and think we have some quality footballers, however i doubt any early information on ins and outs from opposition teams would make even the slightest difference to the match come game day.
Is That So,

Which teams are poorly coached D1 in your opinion? Are they sides that have performed well or those that are struggling? Interested to know your thoughts...

Ugly,

Glad to hear you have suspicions about who I am. I'll give you a clue- my feet aren't as big as the real Thorpedo's....... I'll officially reveal my identity at the end of the season. Maybe during some sort of ceremony.

Tips for next week:

OC over Rupo
Prahran over Banyule
BT over OM's
Therry over OGS (this is a tough one)
YV over Leos

If Geelong can beat Therry, i think Rupo may end up missing out on finals.

Great posts recently. Very interesting reading.

Midas said:
Yarra kept the dream alive with a not unexpected victory over Banyule. Would be interested to hear about the discipline of the Bears Toohas, because the strong mail has been it has been v ordinary over the last four weeks and they may be severely on the slide.

It was ordinary. Giving away double goals by whacking the goalkicker in front of the umpire before play has even re-started, free kick for abusing our boundary umpire when the ball was in our forward 45m (goal), downfield free kick that resulted in a goal on the third quarter siren, giving away two 25m penalties in a row that put us inside our forward arc, but we missed the goal...that was just the third quarter too. Their kicking has been letting them down (26 goals 51 behinds in the last four weeks) They must win this week to keep their season alive, in my opinion, but so do Prahran. Should be a cracking battle.

How big is Round 17 shaping up to be?

Emmaus St. Leo's vs Prahran
Old Carey vs Bulleen-Templestowe
Therry Penola vs Banyule
Old Mentonians vs Yarra Valley
Rupertswood vs Old Geelong

Conduct Unbecoming said:
I would be as happy as anyone should Rupo make it. However, my decision was based on 3 key factors vital from this point onwards - the draw, respective form of both sides and player availability. For example:
Conduct Unbecoming said:
1. After this week, YV play the bottom 6 sides in the run home , Rupo play a few inside the four;
2. Rupo have hardly won a game in the last month - YV have not lost, and
3. YV appear to be getting players back from injury etc at the right time, Rupo don't seem to experiencing that (I may be wrong) from what I see on this post.quote]

Interesting to see that many are realising that YV will make the four!! Think I predicted this a month ago...anyway, I have seen them 3 times this year:

1st time - got in front early and were awesome for a quarter, then got pumped - didn't know how to stop the BT run-on,
2nd time - even early then ran away with it once they got their noses in front,
3rd time - totally on the back foot from the start, didn't know how to stop the BT tidal wave (noticed a little bit of disrespect from the Bullants towards YV that day!).

Seems to me (and maybe OG might be listening here for the 1st final) that once they fall behind they struggle. Certainly both times they were up and running they were very good...but put under pressure, they might struggle to work back against a side that gets a run on?

I think whoever plays them in the 1st final (think it will be my early tip for the flag - OG!!) should focus on hitting the ground running and working at kicking 3-4 quick ones in a row..

And YV may want to work on a containment strategy for this type of scenario....they need to learn what to do when a top team puts them on the back foot. Only get one shot at finals.

All sides will need to be on their game against Prahran. What would have been penciled in a month ago as a certain win - not any longer from what I saw on the weekend. Prahran did not look like a bottom side to me - not in the quality of the poeple they had playing nor in the system they adopted to thwart a seriously flat BT.

Anyone playing Prahran for the remainder of the year will underestimate the 2Blues at their own peril.

After saturday's disappointing loss the OM man relaxed with a quiet beer amongst his teammates and opponents down at the rupi. Whilst engaging in a general conversation it was revealed that the OM man was talking to non other than the 'mystery dog'. Thus starts the trade of big footy personalities "ill trade you kingbrown for halfback" MD demanded and OM man obliged. However it was agreed that all big footy contributions must be exposed and introduced, and thats exactly what happened. Whilst conversation flowed a crack of the whip silenced proceedings, and the cowboy himself entered the room whilst others watched on with eyes agaze. The man of many great posts was more than happy to have his great alias revealed. However, there was a man missing, a man in demand, a man who goes by the name of a great newslady. Turns out as St Kevs Cowboy entered the room ILSS had slipped out through a trap door and rode his ass home. But the cowboy and OM man had no problems revealing his true identity. Keep your eyes peeled as ILSS has still been riding the cowboy's great filly around melbourne apparently.

Was great entertainment saturday arvo down the rupi meeting fellow contributors to bigfooty, although i am sworn to secrecy the OM is in favour of everyone revealing themselves come season's end. It's a real ****a to find out who these alias belong too.

OM man out!!!

Thorpedo69 said:
DG-Man said:
Is That So,

Which teams are poorly coached D1 in your opinion? Are they sides that have performed well or those that are struggling? Interested to know your thoughts...

Thorpedo asking the wrong guy it was not my statement - thinkl it was DG man.

OK DG,

Here are this weeks specials

BT wont lose twice to Old Mentonians for the year
OC to strong at home for Ruppo
Prahan will smash Banyule- they are not a bottom side
Yarra Valley to much to play for over Leos
Therry will beat OGS mark my words! 0GS are in trouble!

MJS2 :cool:

OM are you telling me the great ladies identity is out???? oh dear god!
To the bunker!!!!!

It is true i had to take off straight after the game as was busy moving into a new pad over the weekend.... too bad i didn't get to meet Half wit....I mean half Back.. and the rest of the motley crew that get on here from Therry.....would have been good putting a face to the names....i am sure you can fill me in OM tomorrow night at training on who's shocking onion belongs to who.

All i know is we got trounced in the first half..... terrible effort..... although we came home well the damage had already been done.
Must switch on for the next couple of weeks to insure a finals birth.

MJS2 said:
OK DG,

Here are this weeks specials

BT wont lose twice to Old Mentonians for the year
OC to strong at home for Ruppo
Prahan will smash Banyule- they are not a bottom side
Yarra Valley to much to play for over Leos
Therry will beat OGS mark my words! 0GS are in trouble!

MJS2 :cool:
Very Good MJS2 now that you are in I can spot the game that gets me level at the top of the table this week:

Here are my tips:

Agree - BT
Agree - OC
Agree - Prahan
Agree - YV
disagerre - OG for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toohas said:
It was ordinary. Giving away double goals by whacking the goalkicker in front of the umpire before play has even re-started, free kick for abusing our boundary umpire when the ball was in our forward 45m (goal), downfield free kick that resulted in a goal on the third quarter siren, giving away two 25m penalties in a row that put us inside our forward arc, but we missed the goal...that was just the third quarter too. Their kicking has been letting them down (26 goals 51 behinds in the last four weeks) They must win this week to keep their season alive, in my opinion, but so do Prahran. Should be a cracking battle.

How big is Round 17 shaping up to be?

Emmaus St. Leo's vs Prahran
Old Carey vs Bulleen-Templestowe
Therry Penola vs Banyule
Old Mentonians vs Yarra Valley
Rupertswood vs Old Geelong

Any reports from the game?
These are the 2 least disciplined sides in our Divsion IMO (for different reasons)
YV push the boundaries of sportsmanship at any opportunity they can (in play , behind play whatever)

Banyule say and do whatever they like - has a banyule player been seen to have been brought from the ground for an undisciplined act this year, or is the behaviour that we are hearing about these past few weeks considered acceptable by the club?

Obvioulsy would not take much to get some cheap goals from them or so it seems.

DG-Man said:
No problem bullant10,

Flag prices

OC / BT $2.50 Equal favourites.
YV/Rupo/OGS $12.00

DG

Good call DG-Man. Agree that the OC probably deserve 'equal favourite' billing on the TOTE (top of ladder, good %). OC thrashing average sides seems to be something they're very good at. For mine the BT are a better team - especially when it counts. The OC/BT rematch will be a cracker - can we get some more odds on this particular game?

[. The OC/BT rematch will be a cracker - can we get some more odds on this particular game?[/quote]

Let me see.....at Old Carey, so this does help the Panthers. BT have the wood over them....a very difficult one.

OC - $1.80
BT - $1.90

(If it were at BT, i would have BT - $1.72, OC - $2.00)

Injuries and availabilities will be important for this clash. As both teams will be playing each other in a second semi final a few weeks later, any opportunity to gain some advantage must be taken. It will be a tough, rugged affair.
Personally i think the OC need the win more than BT do. Going into another finals series against the mighty bullants with an 0-2 record, and a history of a relatively poor finals performances will not be what the OC need.

If the OC win and win well, they will be flag favourites.
If the OC win in a close one (under 2-3 goals) or BT win, BT will go in as favourites IMO (Assuming both teams are full strength at finals time)

Cheers,
DG

Good afternoon all. Watched my beloved yellow and blue on Saturday come up against a very determined and attacking Therry outfit and come up short. Therrys first half was exceptional, played at finals like intensity. The big names were standing up and standing up well. The 65 or so half time margain was an accurate reflection on how the game had gone.
The second half was kind of like the first half, but in reverse. Rupo got a couple of goals (it appeared still that they had to work harder than TP to get them) to go about 50 points down at 3/4 time. The last quarter was fantastic viewing, I honestly thought they could win but Therry were composed as KB said, taking a couple of key grabs deep in defence. Harmes nabbed the 6 pack for Therry but Bannister (5), number 14 i think, 25 and a couple of others were strong contributers for the boys from Oak Park. Half Back, Knackers and Mysterydog I'd like to hear your thoughts on what was certainly a 'game of two halves.' I hope the Therry lads can knock of the OGs this week, would be very handy. Cheers.

I think the BT and OC debate is boring. What fascinates me is the OG. Clearly there performance relates back to the stockmarket and their pure bred dogs.

I definitely agree these two sides are the ones to beat, however whoever loses the second semi will be in for a crackerjack prelim final no matter which team gets through. There is nothing like a side unexpected to win in a prelim. Underdogs are to Aussies as patriotic as the DG Man. Don't write off the OG if BHP Billiton and AMP have a ripper month and PAL bring out a new improved canine menu. Don't write off the Rupi if they can pull off a finals spot due to BT and OC tanking to make sure they make it. Don't write off the YV as Toohas is suddenly appointed coach and the old bloke is appointed to all there finals.

In all seriousness though it is good to be in a position where relegation is not possible and a possible finals spot is there in a comp i would consider 10-15 goals better than D2.

Go D1!!!!

Kibe, how good was the OC? Your statement was not unwarranted as your form has been equal to any other than OC and BT. As we all have to improve our knowledge of the opposition, could you give us a description of Collins. Size, weight, where he positions. If you are 30mtrs from any player it sounds like he is an outside player, i know nothing about him.

Hi Kingbrown, I agree, the prelim final will be a genuine 65/35 game. Whoever loses the 2nd semi will be a very nervous club. OGS, when on form are totally hoopalicious! YV's recent form is very good, while the Rupologists certainly enjoyed the fast and firm early season conditions, and their pace (even minus the roadrunner) would be very difficult to counter on a warm September afternoon.

Re Collins, i have seen him play and he is an onballer. Medium height, medium weight, very skillful. Getting 30 metres clear of opposition tells more about ordinary opposition, rather than outside player. He won a B&F when playing for Old Scotch in A-Grade, so he is obviously a very good ball winner.

Just receiving an email from my broker as i type.......Billiton is on the move. Looks like Rover and Yablett will be fine dining this weekend. What do you think about that boys.......woof woof!

DG Man, love your work, however i need more specifics.

Rupo,s average height 170 cm
Rupo's average weight 59 kg
Rupo's average age 14.3 yrs
(still we are very hard nuts at Rupo) Equivalent to at least the Macadamia, not quite as hard as the salted almond!

Collins might be average in the scheme of D1, but to Rupo he might be a giant. To win an "A" Grade B&F is incredible, he must be a gun.

I still have a soft spot for Parton as the best player in D1, only seen him once, but is special, no doubt. Chivers is awesome, just Dolly's presence seems like no other in D1. I know we have flogged this subject so i will shutup.

Think it was just a Scotch B&F. But yes, still impressive. I really have no other useful data on him. I would guess 82 kilos and 181cm. No giant. Perhaps a wallnut. Will drive you up the wall if he wins plenty of the nut!

Perhaps to put a new twist on the OC vs BT debate...

To people from non BT/OC clubs... who would you rather be playing come finals time?

Henry24 said:
Perhaps to put a new twist on the OC vs BT debate...

To people from non BT/OC clubs... who would you rather be playing come finals time?

Can't split them Henry. Given that our best performance for the year was over OC, i am obviously inclined to prefer OC, however even this day you could sense how good they could be. BT are a different cattle, nearly had the game spent at 3/4 time but found something that not many sides would or could. You must never think you have it won against this side.

OG are still the best side on a given day we have played, there recent form does not warrant my response and have been surprised by their up and down form. I'll try not to go down the stockmarket, pure bred line as i crack my 6th can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back