D3 D3 Section 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, Sidey.
Elsternwick (8th) are only 2 games out of the four. Anything can happen, as shown by the Hawthron v UHSVU result. On yesterday's showing, the 'wicks will trouble a few teams in the last 6 rounds.

Anyone want to have a crack at the final 4, or rather who will take third and fourth possies?

My tip

Willi
Hawthorn (love to know who your A&B grade B&F winning player is - must be at least 35yo+?)
Powerhouse
Monash

I think that the Turtles might slide out with the marked improvement of fringe sides - Contentious I know and you do have a very good running side but poor disposal kills you guys and its going to take more than the rest of a season to fix that. Also there is an absolute meat axe in your 2's side (I think he is number 5?) who would definitely not pass a drugs test - this bloke seems fit and has good skills - I don't understand why you don't promote him?

Yeah Edwards too good again Vafarules, 7/10 this time i think and played the 1st quarter at FB which would have been handy if he stayed there...

Are the Wicks out of the finals race Sidewinder?

As I see it 4th position, or 3 & 4 could go to any of UHS VU, POWER HOUSE, ELSTERNWICK or MONASH GRYPHONS.

Eltham play Wicks, UHS, Power House, StJohns and Hawthorn in coming weeks.Tough draw.
Away record not good.

House have 3 home 2 away. Winning form is good form.

Gryphons have 5 tough games, 3 at home.

UHS VU have 4 away games and might only lock the results at LaTrobe & StJohns.

Elsternwick have 3 home & 3 away games but msut play 3 teams now in the 4. Could win 5 of 7.

Anybodys' guess.

Are the Wicks out of the finals race Sidewinder?

As I see it 4th position, or 3 & 4 could go to any of UHS VU, POWER HOUSE, ELSTERNWICK or MONASH GRYPHONS.

Eltham play Wicks, UHS, Power House, StJohns and Hawthorn in coming weeks.Tough draw.
Away record not good.

House have 3 home 2 away. Winning form is good form.

Gryphons have 5 tough games, 3 at home.

UHS VU have 4 away games and might only lock the results at LaTrobe & StJohns.

Elsternwick have 3 home & 3 away games but msut play 3 teams now in the 4. Could win 5 of 7.

Anybodys' guess.

Pretty hard to win "5 of 7" when there are only 6 rounds left Sidey (as I 'recall')

Do agree though that all the above mentioned sides are chances for finals. Eltham's loss has opened up 3rd spot as well.

Should be a cracker at ECR on Saturday week. See you there Sidey...

Ventured down to Fearon on Saturday to have a look, apart for the last 5 minutes of the game (Willy kicked 5 goals in this time), the game was tightly contested, with several lead changes throughout the day.

McNamara in the ruck had a major influence on the result as he took control in the centre square in the last quarter for Willy as the Wicks smaller ruckmen run out of legs. Best for Willy - McNamara, Taylor and Lishman and for the Wicks - Smith & the Mahony bros.

It will be interesting to see how Elsternwick back up to face Eltham with a finals spot on the line!

well here is my bold take on what shape the 4 will take at seasons end.............. It will remain as is! With Williamstown and Hawthorn unable to slip out of the four bar a miracle, the third and fourth positions are wide open at the moment but can only see UHS-VU and Elsternwick nudgeing their way in but with Powerhouse in top gear and Eltham being the quality outfit they are can only see the two sides mentioned sadly just falling short

TOP 4
WILLI
HAWTHORN
ELTHAM
P/HOUSE

PREMIER : anyones guess at this stage!

Strange week of results
Eltham: seem to be in a bit of a form slump, perhaps due to injuries? but i still rate them as a genuine premiership chance
Willy: A very consistent team, very tough to beat, seem to be getting good players back each week, clear premiership favourite when at full strength
Hawthorn: Untimely thumping at the w/end, thought they could have challenged for top spot, will be interesting to see how they rebound this week, will prob finish second!
Powerhouse: Getting better each week, with a gun full forward and a mature lineup should be thereabout come finals time
St Johns: Seem to have fallen of the pace, Still a very good team on there day, i'm not gonna discount yet
Monash: Middle tier team who at best can compete with the better teams, but just when you think they're pushing will disappoint, can make finals with luck
Elsternwick: Similar to Monash, have a gun full forward, who most teams will struggle to stop, can still make finals
Uhs: Very interestin team, i don't know much of them but they're thumping of hawthorn was a bit of a statement, must come into calculation now
The next 6 weeks will be interesting as there are no gimme games with everyone, pushing towards the finals, even the two cellar dwellers who don't have much to play for will want to salvage something from there seasons!

Been a while, but here are the updated odds after my return from South Australia.

Team Prem Prom Finals Rele Spoon
Willia 1.50 1.08 1.00 100,001.00 1,000,001.00
Hawt 5.00 2.50 1.02 100,001.00 1,000,001.00
ElthO 12.00 6.00 1.40 10,001.00 1,000,001.00
PowH 12.00 6.00 1.70 10,001.00 1,000,001.00
**** 17.00 9.00 2.20 10,001.00 1,000,001.00
UHSV 17.00 9.00 2.20 10,001.00 1,000,001.00
Elster 21.00 11.00 4.00 501.00 100,001.00
StJOC 31.00 16.00 4.00 10,001.00 1,000,001.00
LaTro 1,000,001.00 10,001.00 5,001.00 1.00 3.00
SwinU 1,000,001.00 10,001.00 5,001.00 1.00 1.10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep and yep. Nothing to do with the winning side doing well... its all cos someone didnt play, thats all. No skill 4 any1else. wah wah.
I take your point but going into that match Hawks had lost only 2 games.. 1 to the best team in the comp and another by a point to the Gryphs in round 2 after being 6 goals up a 3 qtr time.
All things being equal. You couldnt have been going into that game expecting a win. So its easy to presume that the Hawks didnt field a side close to full strength.

Well done to the Uni boys, great win on the weekend. They played like a team that is pushing for a flag, not just pushing for finals. Sorry to see your still on the sticks Nikko.
Always love having a beer with you blokes after the match. Thanks for shouting Mitch! Hope you lads enjoyed your ball.

I take your point but going into that match Hawks had lost only 2 games.. 1 to the best team in the comp and another by a point to the Gryphs in round 2 after being 6 goals up a 3 qtr time.
All things being equal. You couldnt have been going into that game expecting a win. So its easy to presume that the Hawks didnt field a side close to full strength.

Johnny, there were only 2 changes to the side that played Willy and one was a forced one of D Lauletta. UHS-VU form has been outstanding the past few weeks as has Elsternwick and Power House. Monash, St John's & Eltham have not been great.

The season has shown though that it's been difficult for the middle teams to keep winning. Great to see the finals are still wide open for spots 3 & 4. Last year was divided into 3 distinct sections 1-4, 5-9 and Kew. This year is 1-2, 3-8 and 9-10.

Hawthorn vs Monash - The word from my mixed netball side mate is that the Hawks are having a reunion this week at home against Monash to commemorate their 1998 come from behind GF win over the Gryphs. I'm sure I speak for 90% of the competition in wishing Monash all the best for the game and hopefully they can ruin the Hawk celebrations. Will be interesting to see if Jako lines up in the 2's again this week or the temptation of a spending it with Dan L inhaling pies at the luncheon is too much for him. Monash to reverse the 98 heartbreak and their recent form by 26pts

Elsternwick vs Eltham
- Been away so haven't seen much of the new 6'9" Full Forward at the Wicks but I certainly heard very good things and he's definitely straightened them up. Elsternwick are coming good and Eltham, while still a formidable team, have certainly tapered in the past month. The Wicks were close last week falling away in the last against Willy as many teams do while Eltham went down to the House at the Turtledome. A genuine 50/50 game for me but I like the Wicks at home and to repeat their excellent late season form from last year and make a run at the 4.

Power House vs UHS-VU - The two form teams of those fighting for 3rd and 4th spots. Both sides pride them selves at being strong over the ball with some real hard bodies. The House will need to watch out for the Uni high first quarter as they've jumped the last few teams they've played and it was all over at 1/4 time. Power House's defence has been their strength, being the only team to concede less than 900 pts so I'm sure they can cope with the students forward line which is surprisingly ranked third. The House have two quality forwards if they need them and that will prove too much for UHS. House by 40

Swinburne vs Williamstown - Will be a lot closer than many people think. Willy by 84. Small ground may make it easier for Willy to kick a huge score. Possible first 200 score of the year.

St John's vs La trobe - St John's have all but given up on finals this year after losing to Monash last week. The Trobers form has been improving getting close to a few sides before accounting for the Pigs last week. In an upset, Im tipping La Trobe over a deflated and demoralized JOC's by 8 pts ending any chance for St. John's to make the 4.

Roosters Final Ladder Prediciton

Williamstown 17-1
Hawthorn 14-4
Power House 11-7
UHS-VU 10-8

Eltham 10-8
Monash 9-9
Elsternwick 8-10
St John's 7-11
La Trobe 3-15
Swinburne 1-17

god its a pity the JOCS have dropped off... they were killing it and everything and now the've hit the skids... the numbers at training doesn't help either... low numbers at training is what happens every week...

Well done to the Uni boys, great win on the weekend. They played like a team that is pushing for a flag, not just pushing for finals. Sorry to see your still on the sticks Nikko.
Always love having a beer with you blokes after the match. Thanks for shouting Mitch! Hope you lads enjoyed your ball.

I personally went a bit overboard at the ball, had a breath test and found i had blood in my alcohol system.. The match was great to watch (for us) and for once i thought the umpiring was quite good, fair and consistant.. They didnt pay holding the ball unless it was terribly obvious, i saw 1 free kick which i had no idea what it was for, i nearly started heckling but it went our way.. I wonder if the hawthorn thought it was ok too.

I personally went a bit overboard at the ball, had a breath test and found i had blood in my alcohol system.. The match was great to watch (for us) and for once i thought the umpiring was quite good, fair and consistant.. They didnt pay holding the ball unless it was terribly obvious, i saw 1 free kick which i had no idea what it was for, i nearly started heckling but it went our way.. I wonder if the hawthorn thought it was ok too.

Yeah I thought they were ok. I spent most of the day standing behind the goals having a chat to Boycey and his brother and we all agreed it was pretty consistant.
You boys looked like you were having a good time at the ball when I wandered past. Had a chat to a half pissed Sweeny and Tommy Woodlock who were in fine form.

Yeah I thought they were ok. I spent most of the day standing behind the goals having a chat to Boycey and his brother and we all agreed it was pretty consistant.

Well I did think the Hawtho's could upgrade their drinks runner, UHS did a good job with the scoreboard and there was much fun had retrieving the ball out of Royal Park. Ogge showed much restraint keeping the ball off Macarthur Drive on most occasions however one of the players tried to quell the run on by kicking the ball up the tree much to Boycey's chagrin.

Well I did think the Hawtho's could upgrade their drinks runner, UHS did a good job with the scoreboard and there was much fun had retrieving the ball out of Royal Park. Ogge showed much restraint keeping the ball off Macarthur Drive on most occasions however one of the players tried to quell the run on by kicking the ball up the tree much to Boycey's chagrin.

Accurate kicking to land it in the tree.

Hawthorn have made it a habit to have mid-year hiccups - usually followed by a good old fashioned spew when it hits finals time. Will that be the case this year? I am thinking................................ yes.

i wouldnt think it would be acheap shot from dan:) the other fella probably needed a cuff for a reason , had fun playing with u over the years dan and others . :thumbsu:still would like to no who is the biggest cat going around in d3. thanks for the few who wrote kind words all the best to most . signing off apparently lethal see u boys.....

The guy he "cuffed" is a fair ball player who never sledges or king hits his opponents, he prefers to let his footy the talking. Unlike "Dan" who needs to consider retiring if he's getting too frustrated chasing the younger blokes around.

---------------------------------------

Very quick column from Quasi this morning. Been in QLD all week.

Review of Round 11:

We have a tremor in the force. The Wicks are coming and will beat almost anyone on current form.
St Johns are gone.
The Hawks are very good but flags are not won in June.
Powerhouse and the Gryphons and both much weaker than the top 2, but one will sneak into the four.

Preview:

Hawks over Uni High by 56 (Danger game for the Hawks, but they will be too strong in all departments)
Monash to beat St Johns by 18 (Joc's would be lucky to beat Latrobe or Swinburne on current form).
Cy's by 3 over Elsternwick (Clear match of the day. Wicks are playing as well as anyone and I want to pick them. But against Willy on the rebound, at Fearon. No I don't have the guts)
Swinny by 6 over Latrobe (The Razorbacks poor form has not been quite as pitiful as the Trobers).
Eltham over The House by 14 (Should be a beauty. Eltham simply must win this if they are to be taken seriously as a premiership chance. If the House prevail, get ready for a similar insignificant Elimination Final in a couple of months)

Good luck to all

Quasi

Seems like Quasi should've remained in QLD as clearly i know more about NRL than D3 VAFA. Scores of 3, 3 & 2 in recent weeks has seen my tipping deteriorate markedly.

Round 12 Review:
What an unpredictable comp we have of late.
The Hawks clearly believed their own publicity (a la Richmond FC) and thought they were world beaters. Good to see UHS-VU bring their ego's back to earth with a thumping win (Did select this as a danger game for Hawthorn)
Elsternwick are good, but not as good as Cy's. Smith the new gun player in the comp!
Monash were made to look good by the worst St Johns team in many a year.
Powerhouse are finally showing consistent form, Should play finals with their favourable draw.
The Turtles suddenly look the most vulnerable team in the 4.
Latrobe are ordinary, but not quite as bad as the Razorbacks.

Round 13 Preview:

Season defining round for many teams. The logjam we see from 3rd to 8th may even contract further.

Cy's over Razorbacks by 67 (No need for much analysis here)
St Johns by 14 Over Latrobe (Would seriously select the Trobers if this were not at Thomas Carroll)
Hawks over Monash by 21 (Barrel will not let his chargers be complacent two weeks in a row, especially on his milestone game)
Wicks over Turtles by 28 (Eltham are just not the side they were earlier in the season, and for that matter neither are Elsternwick)
The House by 6 over Uni High (Very tough one to pick as UHS-VU are the best starters in the comp. They may not be able to get that big lead they need against a strong Powerhouse defence and on a presumably wet ground)

Bring on Saturday

Quasi

Iceberg's tips:

La Trobe over Swinburne by 14 points - no one really cares as both clubs will be relegated.

Monash over St Johns by two points - Jocs and Gryphs always have close games but I am tipping Leeton to be the difference in the ruck.

Uni High over Hawthorn by six points - Hawks due for a letdown after their big win last week.

Powerhouse over Eltham by 33 points - House will end up in third place and are my tip to go up to D2 with Willy.

Williamstown over Elsternwick by 18 points - Willy should regain Lee and will need him as the Wicks are in good form.

Just the five out of five for Iceberg last week. (I must sound like my old friend Wafer Knuckles) Lets see how the Iceman fares this week.

Elsternwick over Eltham by 47 points - Smith the in-form player of D3. Should kick another 9. Don't discount him from winning the sharp shooters award.

Hawthorn over Monash by 18 points - Hawks too strong at home and should be able to bounce back. Wells (or Wilkinson) v Ogge the key duel.

Powerhouse over Uni High by 22 points - I expect Eddo to play forward. Providing Sosic and Co can get the ball to him, the House should be too strong.

Williamstown over Swinburne by 17 points - Danger game for Willy. They should be too strong though.

St Johns over La Trobe by 88 points - Jocs very rarely lose at home. Cachia should kick six or seven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back