Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qualifying Final Win Under 39.5 Over 39.5
Mt Lilydale $1.30 $2.40 $2.80
Manningham $3.10 $4.00 $13.80
109% 110%

1. Manningham - 3rd
Great effort to finish where they did especially after many years of hovering around the bottom. Some great and aggressive recruiting by the club built up their depth and almost resulted in their reserves making the finals. Both teams together in a finals campaign, would that have been a first?

Don't really think that the Cobras would want to be rated # 1 in any list. The aim was always finals & anything from there was a bonus. The main thing about this year was to start rebuilding our team.

I don't bet on football, but Rooster's odds seem a bit out to me. The Cobras may not win the game, but I'd be surprised if it's not a very tight game.

Round 18 Preview

Sorry Terry we'll have to settle this in the finals...

South over Box Hill Nth by 5 Pts (I’ve changed my mind three times already, but the fact remains that South have a chance at third if the Cobras lose. The Demons will fight all the way, but South are too good a side to let this slip. Ben Price to continue his excellent season for the visitors).
Monash over Chadstone by 168 (Like my good mate Terry, I suspect Monash will not break their record score and win by 200 plus as they are likely to rest players as the day progresses. Expect the fringe players such as Mike Davies and Rob Fletcher to fire as they fight to hold their spot for finals. For Chadstone, 2010 is another season to forget Not sure what the solution is at Jordan Reserve, but I wish them luck).
Manningham over Richmond by 41 Pts (Round 18 often provides an upset, but don’t expect the Cobras to slip in this one. Sam McCallum is one of the most destructive players in the comp and will see the home side through comfortably).
Sharks over the Dogs by 8 Pts (This is the potential upset as Pt Cook have been tough to beat at PCO and would be quite proud of that fact in their inaugural season. Too much is at stake for Eley Park however, and they should prevail in a thriller. Chris Marsiglio to be best afield).
Rams over Razorbacks by 21 Pts (St James Park is arguably host of the match of the day and although the ground may be a bog, I expect a fine contest. Swinburne will certainly make Mt Lilydale earn it and may pinch a win, but too many guns like Roberts & Rodwell will ensure the Rams long trek home is enjoyable
).

Round 18 Review

4/5 (70/88 cumulative)

It is an overused cliché “best side out of the finals”, but Box Hill North can clearly boast this after another excellent win last week against the Tigers. One gets the feeling they are playing better football than both teams contesting this week’s elimination final and will look to any number of close losses in the first half of the season as significant. The form of South is concerning as they have only won one of their past four games and this was against the lowly Doggies on their home patch. Their opponents, Eley Park, show a much different form line and are arguably playing their best football for the year at the right time. Point Cook simply never won an easy possession and hence the margin was far greater than expected. The Rams, Gryphons and the Cobras all enter the business end of the season in fine form, but only the Mountain men had any sort of contest in the final round. The Razorbacks, like Box Hill, would be rueing early and mid season losses that have cost them a finals berth as they have also finished the season in encouraging fashion. The Snakes finish as the season’s big disappointments just ahead of the Doggies who many selected in their finals lists in March. As for Chadstone, dare I suggest a sortie to Club 18 for a season to rebuild their once mighty club?

Week 1 Finals Preview

Elimination Final

Eley Park over Sth Mornington by 10 Pts (Just four weeks ago I was spruiking the Tigers as a serious challenger to the top 2. However their recent form has been l shaky at best. They are leaking far too many goals from turnovers and coach Sutherland must be lamenting the lack on contested ball wins that were a trademark earlier in the year. I expect a very even contest, far closer than the odds posted on this forum would suggest and expect some fireworks in close. It will get willing at times and perhaps even untoward if one side loses the plot. I am favouring the Sharks to win the match due to greater firepower up forward. Sam Thomas and Dave Bennett are both quality players and although the Tigers may be able to quell one, I doubt they can contain both. South will have to rely on players such as Mitch Duff and Grant Ryan if they are to win as their waning form has mirrored that of the team. Shark just).

Qualifying Final

Mt Lilydale over Manningham by 32 Pts (Make no mistake; I am an unabashed Mt Lilydale fan. It is to one’s folly in under-estimating the Mountain Men. You don’t progress through a season 17 & 1 and then slip against a team you’ve already beaten twice too often. Many have overlooked the game early in the season where the Rams crushed the Cobras at Bulleen by 12 goals. Sure Manningham have improved since then, but too much is on the line for Mt Lilydale to falter. Thomas Wall is as good a midfielder as anyone in the comp and Roberts and Rodwell are a ‘shoe in’ for team of the year in the forward line. Sam McCallum is the ‘X-Factor’ in the contest. If he fires, as well he might, the Cobras are an outside chance, but he may have to kick 8 goals plus. This will be made even more difficult in the windy (and possibly wet) conditions predicted and expect the Rams to double team him anyway. I suspect a tag placed on Warrick De Vercelli so the supply to McCallum is mitigated. I doubt Manningham will score more than 10 goals for the match and their opponents will hence win comfortably.

Good Luck to all

Quasi

Re: D4 2010

66/83 progressive.

Box Hill North vs South Mornington - 8 points.
Chadstone vs Monash - 190 points.
Manningham vs Richmond Central - 56 points.
Point Cook vs Eley Park - 28 points.
Swinburne Uni vs Mt Lilydale - 44 points.

70/88 progressive.

Seniors
Mt Lilydale vs Manningham Cobras - 32 points.
MtL been the stongest competitors all year and although face an improving Cobras I expect them to be too strong here. They should have a few goal buffer all day and not be seriously challenged. There are just too many quality players for the Cobras to match.
Eley Park vs South Mornington - 6 points.
The Tigers appear to have slowed down a touch at the wrong time of year and the loss last week seems to have concerned most tipsters on this forum. My concern for this game is that the Tigers haven't travelled that well all year. I've based my tips on the previous encounter(3 points to SM) and the form against the top two. The Tigers seem to come away with the upper hand here so I think they will go on to win this one as well in a very close and physical encounter.

Reserves
Richmond Central vs Swinburne Uni - 19 points.
North Brunswick vs South Mornington - 43 points.

Eley Park v South mornington. Eley by 12 goals. SM just lost to Bok Hill and apparently didn't like the physical nature of the game. I also hear a few of them chucked tantrums and refused to re-take the field after half time. SM are a bunch of sniping sooks and will be found out by the much tougher EP.

Mt Lilydale v Manningham - MTL by 6 goals. Stop de Vercelli beat Manningham, it's that simple. Look out for Wesley 'Snipes' Thomson from the Cobras. He loves going the glove and doing the cheap stuff. Could be a bad day for him if he dares to put his head over the footy.

Ha Ha i find it funny how people dont think south like it hard, when all you here in this forum is south hurt all our players south are dogs whinge whinge. South will win by 6 goals against Teary Park they do know its at vermont football club not netball club and i look forward to all the whinging monday morning.

Eley Park v South mornington. Eley by 12 goals. SM just lost to Bok Hill and apparently didn't like the physical nature of the game. I also hear a few of them chucked tantrums and refused to re-take the field after half time. SM are a bunch of sniping sooks and will be found out by the much tougher EP.

LOL at this.

So its fair to say after the weekends results that Mt.Lilydale have affirmed themeselves as the likely unit to meet monash in the big dance. As a supporter of a club whom finished there season disapointingly early i have paid attention to the two big sides for the last few weeks. . Here are the x-factors

MT.LILYDALE
T.Wall- After all the talk from Johnnyonthespot i watched this lad with close attention and can see why he gives johnny blood to the area
icon6.gif
. . Will be hard to stop- runs all day- silky skills.

M.Gower- Can see that this boy has come from a superior league. . Athletic and attacking defender. . Had his colours lowered by Mollloy last time they played monash but a consistent performer.

A.Rodwell- 60 goals for the year, he must be doing something right. Will be very interesting duel against one of the stingy monash backman.

A.Stuart- punishing player that will go close to winning the b&f behind Johnnyhomtiff's lovechild. From all reports he has cut up sides regularly throughout the year and consistently bobs up with a couple of goals.

MONASH
L.Wells- Whatever position this man plays is always penciled in as a win. The favourite son can dominate the midfield and go down back if his side are in trouble. Favourite for league b&f from all reports.

G.Munroe- A little known player that, like Gowers, joined from a superior league. Silky skills and a big engine, that can see him slip under the radar and create many chances for the gryphons.

M.Fletcher- One of the form players in the comp, prolific ball winner that likes it in & under- a sublime kick of the pill to the leading forwards. Will go close to winning the b&f.

Allan/Wills- D4's answer to the franklin/roughead act. . Had there colours lowered last time against the mountainers but these power forwards have delivered many of times throughout the year and will be a key in bringing home the gryphons first cup.

Goodluck to Manningham, will be interesting to see how they fair against S.Mornington- expectations will be that they tear them a new one and have another crack at Lilydale or perha[s monash!

Mr.Football :footy: Kent

I think one of the most interesting things about the Mt Lilydale Monash game is the completely different build ups the two teams have had since they last met. Mt Lilydale have come off three hard tough games twice against Manningham and Swinburne, while also being able to rest a few players where Monash had the bye followed by Chadstone and another bye.

I guess the question is which preperation would you prefer?
Will Monash have lost a little touch and match fitness?
Will Mt Lilydale be sore and tired?

Personally I would prefer the tougher run in as you can lose alot of momentum, touch and just that edge in fitness( no matter how hard you train its not the same as match fitness). Should add an interesting dynamic to two teams that are very evenly matched.

So its fair to say after the weekends results that Mt.Lilydale have affirmed themeselves as the likely unit to meet monash in the big dance. As a supporter of a club whom finished there season disapointingly early i have paid attention to the two big sides for the last few weeks. . Here are the x-factors
Good Summary Kent. Tommy does give me an inkling in the groin area :) Although he wasnt at his best against Manningham
Will be interesting to see the match ups this Sat. I think with our tall forward line now with Varga back in the team will stretch Monash. But it wont mean anything if we dont get first use out of the centre.
Rodwell is nowhere near as important as Roberts I donk think.
I think youve missed out on Gibson. He is a massive loss and would also be right up there in the B&F .
Where do you expect Monash to play Wells?
I think you are confusing M.Fletcher with R.Fletcher.
Who do you think will win the other final? Manningham or Mornington?

Good Summary Kent. Tommy does give me an inkling in the groin area :) Although he wasnt at his best against Manningham
Will be interesting to see the match ups this Sat. I think with our tall forward line now with Varga back in the team will stretch Monash. But it wont mean anything if we dont get first use out of the centre.
I think youve missed out on Gibson. He is a massive loss and would also be right up there in the B&F .

Nick Hooke was B.O.G in my opinion for you guys on Saturday. He completely changed the dynamic of the game when he went into the Ruck. From what I saw Roberts is definitely more important for you guys than Rodwell ... played a great 2nd quarter that kept you in the game.

Doesn't really matter who wins out of Manningham or Sth Mornington. Neither will worry Mt Lilydale in the preliminary final who will be looking to rebound after they lose to Monash this Saturday (while Monash make the most of another week's rest).
Have a few ideas who will match up on the Lilydale "big forwards", however as I'm not a coach or selector I would only be speculating. Could be any number of combinations and the beauty of it for Monash is they can change things around without altering the strength of their team.

Hey Johnny since your a Monash player/suporter would love to hear where you think Wells will play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha i think most men can admire good skills, but what does your husband think about your fetish for young Tom? :cool:
I think the Gryphons may try and attack from the onset and put Wells forward while Malloy will go back and take one of the big forwards. Either way the CHF/CHB duels will be enthralling at both ends of the ground.!
Have the lilydale selectors got any headaches for the big game??? I hear a whisper that there has been a bout of tonsilitis swept through the gryphon camp keeping them off the track.. ( have the boys been kissing down there? haha :confused: )
I expect a close first half between the manningham and s.morn, but will see big Sammy Mac hard to stop and kick his side to victory.

Kent :footy: Mr Football

I think one of the most interesting things about the Mt Lilydale Monash game is the completely different build ups the two teams have had since they last met. Mt Lilydale have come off three hard tough games twice against Manningham and Swinburne, while also being able to rest a few players where Monash had the bye followed by Chadstone and another bye.

I guess the question is which preperation would you prefer?
Will Monash have lost a little touch and match fitness?
Will Mt Lilydale be sore and tired?

Personally I would prefer the tougher run in as you can lose alot of momentum, touch and just that edge in fitness( no matter how hard you train its not the same as match fitness). Should add an interesting dynamic to two teams that are very evenly matched.

Don i would have to agree with you.. Monash will be underdone with match fitness and i hear a few are pretty crook at the moment. Would have been tipping monash but these factors tend to swing my vote towards the mountaneers in a close one. .

Dismiss Monash at your own peril. As with most clubs they have had ins and outs all season. They lost one game (in the last 20 seconds). Apart from that have done it in their stride. To think they won't be ready for this Saturday and to bring up the "match fitness" theme is ridiculous.
We can to and fro all we like but the proof will be on the paddock on Saturday. Get ready to listen to the Monash song.

Dismiss Monash at your own peril. As with most clubs they have had ins and outs all season. They lost one game (in the last 20 seconds). Apart from that have done it in their stride. To think they won't be ready for this Saturday and to bring up the "match fitness" theme is ridiculous.
We can to and fro all we like but the proof will be on the paddock on Saturday. Get ready to listen to the Monash song.
Personally my favorite club song is from Eltham.
Oh we are from Turtleland. A fighting fury we're from Turtleland. In any weather you will.. la la la la la
By the way the Turtle from Lillydale is my pick for BOG this Saturday.

Can someone from EP or SM explain what happened in the last quarter of Sunday's game? Did EP just stop or did SM step it up to a new level?

Can someone from EP or SM explain what happened in the last quarter of Sunday's game? Did EP just stop or did SM step it up to a new level?

I think it was the streaker from SM that put EP off. Was amazing he hurdled the fence, ran amougst the play(ers), ran towards the scoreboard then back over the fence, back in the car and started drinking again.

South ran over the top same as the last time we played teary park, they got over the top cocky after kicking the first goal of the last but same as last time, class shone thru with big whopper wilson just doing a number on them again!

sneako......to old to slow

Is that right 'Fruitloop??? You must have missed my semi final berth in the stawell gift this year......should have made the final if the that bee didnt sting me half way down the stretch!
Also 'Johnnyonthespot I would have to agree about the 'turtle, ever since his change of diet he has found an extra gear and an extra 10 meters in his penertrating kicks!

Semi Final Tips

Monash Gryphons vs Mt Lilydale - Monash will be well rested after having 3 weeks off and will be keen to make a statement against their main rivals for the flag. If Mt Lilydale let the Gryphs break away early (like Manningham did) I don't think they'll be able to reel them back in. MtL must start Hooke in the ruck (forget rucking Rhodes) if they are any chance to counter the initial Gryphon onslaught. MG to win by about 3 goals.

Manningham Cobras vs South Mornington - South Mornington would be on a high after their come from behind win. They seem to be a team who thrives on 'confidence'. Manningham would be disappointed to let a 5 goal lead slip against MtL last week. I think that SM have the better bottom 6 so I'm tipping them by a goal.

Nick Hooke was B.O.G in my opinion for you guys on Saturday. He completely changed the dynamic of the game when he went into the Ruck. From what I saw Roberts is definitely more important for you guys than Rodwell ... played a great 2nd quarter that kept you in the game.

RM, you definately had a good view of Roberts as you shelted behind the fence with ongoing verbal crap coming from your and Turbo's mouth towards him. By the way that's about as close as Turbo would ever want to be to Roberts which is understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back