Dalrymple leaves the Kennel

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestingly we had one of the higher football department spends last year. Albeit there's not much of a difference between clubs.

Football Department spending
  • Collingwood ($28,366,146) - includes AFLW, VFL.
  • Geelong - ($25,981,512)
  • West Coast - ($25,669,094)
  • Western Bulldogs ($25,489,964)
  • Fremantle - $25,476,311
  • Melbourne - ($24,223,494)
  • Brisbane - ($24,712,245)
  • Carlton - ($23,841,372)
  • St Kilda - ($23,715,001)
  • Essendon - ($23,687,766)
  • Hawthorn - Not Available
  • Richmond - Not Available

Interesting numbers, does that include AFLW ?? Higher than I would have thought...

Interestingly we had one of the higher football department spends last year. Albeit there's not much of a difference between clubs.

isnt most of that Tom Boyds wage, though?

Interesting numbers, does that include AFLW ?? Higher than I would have thought...
I just took it of the financial results thread. The numbers are from the anual reports. Some specify that the amount includes aflw or vfl teams but ours doesn't. That doesn't necessarily mean these costs aren't included in our figure though. Sorry I can't help more.
What it does show is that the sending cap is working.

Those seem like strange figures.
Isn't the soft cap on spending 9.3m?
That would mean we are spending more on our vfl and womens teams than the men.
Either that or blowing way past the cap.

Plus St.Kilda only have the one team, there's no way they are going that far past the cap.

I just took it of the financial results thread. The numbers are from the anual reports. Some specify that the amount includes aflw or vfl teams but ours doesn't. That doesn't necessarily mean these costs aren't included in our figure though. Sorry I can't help more.
What it does show is that the sending cap is working.

It's good data, thanks !!

And yes, the spending cap is a good thing.

Understand and agree with your principle, but the overall outcome is terrible and reflects extremely poorly on those involved.

I think you can quite clearly make a case that giving him the opportunity, training and support needed to grow into the TOP job would have been a much better overall outcome for the club.

Feel free to make the case!

Those seem like strange figures.
Isn't the soft cap on spending 9.3m?
That would mean we are spending more on our vfl and womens teams than the men.
Either that or blowing way past the cap.

Plus St.Kilda only have the one team, there's no way they are going that far past the cap.
I guess they would be the operating costs of running the football department excluding player payments. There might be things like equipment, physios and doctors that aren't included in the cap. I don't really know their not my figures.

Lets give Sam Power a chance before we have deemed him a failure hence his appointment and the departure of Dalrymple a complete disaster.

Not being critical of Power, just we have found out a talented and successful employee has left as he didn't feel he was given an opportunity or considered for a senior role, one he has more experience and expertise in than the person appointed.

In my view, this is poor management on our part - and I have detailed options that could have been used to avoid this. I have seen this elsewhere in my career.

I hope Power is spectacularly successful in his role, but it's hard to suggest that we have come out in front at this stage.

Not being critical of Power, just we have found out a talented and successful employee has left as he didn't feel he was given an opportunity or considered for a senior role, one he has more experience and expertise in than the person appointed.

In my view, this is poor management on our part - and I have detailed options that could have been used to avoid this. I have seen this elsewhere in my career.

I hope Power is spectacularly successful in his role, but it's hard to suggest that we have come out in front at this stage.

I hear what you are saying but it's way too early to suggest whether we have come out in front at this stage or not.

From what I know of another club a List Managers role and a Recruiting Managers role are very different and do require different skills sets in different proportions. I do concede that they overlap but a good recruiting manager may not be a good list manager and vice versa.

I hear what you are saying but it's way too early to suggest whether we have come out in front at this stage or not.

From what I know of another club a List Managers role and a Recruiting Managers role are very different and do require different skills sets in different proportions. I do concede that they overlap but a good recruiting manager may not be a good list manager and vice versa.

Agree but we HAVE lost a good recruiter AND a good list manager and have appointed someone who MIGHT be a good replacement.

Agree but we HAVE lost a good recruiter AND a good list manager and have appointed someone who MIGHT be a good replacement.

That's the industry, sometimes you lose good people for one reason or another and at times people have done their time in a place and hard to renew their energy.

Once upon a time we hired a guy that MAY have been a good coach ( couldn't get worse than what we had) and that turned out ok.

Hang in there let's wait

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the industry, sometimes you lose good people for one reason or another and at times people have done their time in a place and hard to renew their energy.

Once upon a time we hired a guy that MAY have been a good coach ( couldn't get worse than what we had) and that turned out ok.

Hang in there let's wait

I like your optimism, but I think the circumstances are a bit different if you take a closer look....

Why don’t you post his name and phone number while you’re at it ffs??!! Yes he works at the Bombres, but as you well know (or maybe have forgotten), he has a very strong connection to one of our coterie groups.
And fwiw, when he mentioned 2 departures to me, he didn’t mention Dalrymple by name, his comment was something like “one significant departure, and one departure of someone who is not significant, but the method of their departure will be”. For some context, we were discussing Doyle and McLachlan scandals at the time. Make of that what you will.
And don’t bother calling me to apologise, I suspect our canary will not be singing quite so much in future.

Not sure if my little Ess birdy knew something about Sue Alberti, can’t get onto him atm. While I admire Gordon for what he has achieved, it seems he is not particularly open to alternative opinions, and is fairly autocratic. I know it’s a Hun story, but not too much positive coming out of the club atm.

The preseason for 2015 was diabolical for press but once we started winning games people forgot. If we start winning again no one will care about Alberti etc.

On Dalrymple, he’s actually very close with the Power family and apparently wrote an endorsement of Power to all the staff when he was appointed. I don’t think the appointment had anything to do with his departure. It was more butting of heads with others over a long period.

Not sure if my little Ess birdy knew something about Sue Alberti, can’t get onto him atm. While I admire Gordon for what he has achieved, it seems he is not particularly open to alternative opinions, and is fairly autocratic. I know it’s a Hun story, but not too much positive coming out of the club atm.

I actually think it's Sue who comes off bad when you look into it. Went to enter through the private entrance with a film crew? It's quite easy to see why that could be an issue. Gordon reached out to her after the first time to have a chat and it didn't happen, then she tried again for the same result.

I actually think it's Sue who comes off bad when you look into it. Went to enter through the private entrance with a film crew? It's quite easy to see why that could be an issue. Gordon reached out to her after the first time to have a chat and it didn't happen, then she tried again for the same result.
Makes her look even worse taking it to the media. How petty can you be to drag the club into what seems like a personal dispute

Makes her look even worse taking it to the media. How petty can you be to drag the club into what seems like a personal dispute
Used to work at sporting events, including some dogs games, and our former president was notorious for demanding to be let into areas he didn’t have a pass for.

Perhaps that was the norm for our board. Obviously I’d be all for her getting tickets to presidents functions etc but I really think this complaint reflects awfully on her and points to a sense of entitlement shown by some of our leaders. She has no official role now.

You don’t see John Schultz carrying on like this and he’s a bloody Brownlow medallist.

Last edited:
Assuming we don't hire an established head recruiter, whoever takes over the role effectively gets a dry run at scouting the first few rounds and to try their hand at the later rounds and rookie draft. An experienced recruiting officer like Tim Lamb from Melbourne or Luke Williams from Richmond might be due for a promotion.

Missed it by that much.

A few weeks late with the post, but anyway,

People are kind of missing the point with Dal.

Recruiting teams are so large, the economic spend on drafting by all 18 teams is so similar, and the sample size of drafting players are so small, and the impact of player development is so important, that can anyone really definitively say that Dal was a good drafter? Probably, but I can't say it with the same certainty that I can say Bont is a good player.

The real difference is the type of player they recruit, the impact they have on devising strategy for recruiting, rather than some easily-argued point about a "hit rate" of players which in my eyes is a load of wash.

Dal came in, stuffed up his first year, but then put an emphasis on drafting players who improved a lot within their final U/18 year for early picks, emphasised athletic potential with late picks, and quietly made sure we had a no dickheads policy with our recruiting which means that we have a lot of togetherness. So he'll be missed. But those sort of strategic changes aren't unique to one individual, and usually don't come as a result because one individual had a lightbulb moment, so it isn't the end of the world.

A few weeks late with the post, but anyway,

People are kind of missing the point with Dal.

Recruiting teams are so large, the economic spend on drafting by all 18 teams is so similar, and the sample size of drafting players are so small, and the impact of player development is so important, that can anyone really definitively say that Dal was a good drafter? Probably, but I can't say it with the same certainty that I can say Bont is a good player.

The real difference is the type of player they recruit, the impact they have on devising strategy for recruiting, rather than some easily-argued point about a "hit rate" of players which in my eyes is a load of wash.

Dal came in, stuffed up his first year, but then put an emphasis on drafting players who improved a lot within their final U/18 year for early picks, emphasised athletic potential with late picks, and quietly made sure we had a no dickheads policy with our recruiting which means that we have a lot of togetherness. So he'll be missed. But those sort of strategic changes aren't unique to one individual, and usually don't come as a result because one individual had a lightbulb moment, so it isn't the end of the world.
The no dickheads policy was a myth that people on here made up and was never a thing. We may have in fact had the biggest dickhead in the entire AFL on our list as it turned out.

And then what happened to him when he started acting like a dickhead?
We got rid of him but that’s not the point. We still drafted him and it seemingly caused massive disruptions within the group, which was the point of the post.

Do you honestly believe that we employ a ‘no dickheads’ policy in our recruiting and list management moreso than any other club?

Dalrymple may have been a very good head of recruitment for us, in fact I think he definitely was a very good recruiter for us, but that certainly doesn't mean he was the best candidate for the List Manager position.

Dalrymple appears to have spat the dummy because he didn't get a promotion he really wanted and felt he deserved... and he left the club as a result. It's a shame that it came to that, but that doesn't mean that the club made a poor appointment to the List Manager position and it doesn't mean that the club mismanaged things at all. Perhaps the club bungled it. Perhaps not. I'll bet that none of us on this board know enough about what happened and why to really make a well informed judgement about this.

Anyway...thanks for playing an important role in getting our Premiership list together Dal. I'm sorry that you felt underappreciated by the club and wanted to leave - but hey, that's your choice.

Good luck Sam Power. Pressures on. Earn your money now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dalrymple leaves the Kennel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back