Dalrymple leaves the Kennel

Remove this Banner Ad

There's certainly plenty of evidence in sport and business that says embracing diversity is beneficial for both the organisation and the individual. AFL would be no exception.

Correct, everyone thinks of diversity as gender and race, but it is more about bringing together differences to achieve beyond what could be done without those differences. It creates different interactions within teams and promotes learning of different skills....

A big reason why we have no x factor in our game is because we have no one that displays it at training and in games. Same could be said for the quick chase down tackle. I put any money on it - if we had just one player like that, it would go through the team

Definitely don’t think it’s a Dal thing but a club thing. Most indigenous players have bucketloads of flair and character. Traditionally, as a club, we don’t have many of those types. And when we do, they often seem to find trouble and awkward exits. Brown, Akermanis and Stringer come to mind...

M8 seen enough of your work to know you weren't calling Dal a racist. Your careful phraseology also should have deterred such a conclusion being 'inferred'.

Kudos for raising it

IMO this issue is far bigger than Dal, its a club thing. Apart from the odd notable exceptions (Magic McLean who we lost, Bamblett and Winmar were recruited) the Dogs are known for not having many indigenous players. I think the Pies were similar.

Led by Sheedy, you have to hand it to EFC who are leaders in indigenous recruitment and development.

Ess, Hawks, NM, Cats and Swans have all had a reasonable amount of indigenous players.

We haven't.

Why?

If a gun indigenous player became available would they pick us? Doubt it.

Could be worthy of a thread. Although the whole issue could be problematic - should be able to the have the discussion without being accused of being a racist or being accused of calling other people racists - however politely.
I’m not a huge fan of the notion of ‘indigenous players’ because there’s a fair bit of variability in their circumstances as it is anyway.

Buddy and Josh Hill were WA boys that went to private schools while Liam Jones was a redhead from Tassie and Jurrah and Amos Frank came from remote communities.

While there are plenty that are exciting, agile and have goal sense there are plenty that are actually kind of dour.

The club hasn’t drafted many lately but had Jones, Stevens, Goodes and Hamling on its list recently and had Lynch, Hill and Harbrow before that.

To be honest I think we pick the best players for our needs and the best characters we can and if they are indigenous great, if they are Taiwanese-Timorese, great etc. I don’t really like the idea of a positive or negative drafting strategy based on race (I’m not singling your post out for any reason - was replying to the issue).

I’m not a huge fan of the notion of ‘indigenous players’ because there’s a fair bit of variability in their circumstances as it is anyway.

Buddy and Josh Hill were WA boys that went to private schools while Liam Jones was a redhead from Tassie and Jurrah and Amos Frank came from remote communities.

While there are plenty that are exciting, agile and have goal sense there are plenty that are actually kind of dour.

The club hasn’t drafted many lately but had Jones, Stevens, Goodes and Hamling on its list recently and had Lynch, Hill and Harbrow before that.

To be honest I think we pick the best players for our needs and the best characters we can and if they are indigenous great, if they are Taiwanese-Timorese, great etc. I don’t really like the idea of a positive or negative drafting strategy based on race (I’m not singling your post out for any reason - was replying to the issue).

All good points, indigenous players have backgrounds as varied as non-indigenous.
And expanding on the Liam Jones example, yes he’s a redhead from Tassie, but his ex-Saint father Bob was originally from Darwin and moved to Tassie where Liam played junior footy. But then he got an indigenous scholarship to Scotch in Melb in year 11, and played APS, so not a stereo-typical free-running, barefoot, taking speccies over everyone, skinny indigenous kid in the NTFL.
For every Eddie Betts there’s a Shane Thorne.

So is it just unfortunate or bad luck we have never had an indigenous player play 100 games for us while most other clubs have had quite a few?

Club has been going nearly 100 years in the Vfl/AFL so it just seems a bit long for this to be a 'luck' thing.

So is it just unfortunate or bad luck we have never had an indigenous player play 100 games for us while most other clubs have had quite a few?

Club has been going nearly 100 years in the Vfl/AFL so its a bit long for this to be a coincidence.
Why does that matter? I’d obviously prefer it if we had but it’s a football club and the aim of the game is winning flags.

If we had lost a few star indigenous players that could have helped us win a flag I’d understand but that’s not what has happened. Harbrow is the only one in recent memory that’s been much good.

Why does that matter? I’d obviously prefer it if we had but it’s a football club and the aim of the game is winning flags.

If we had lost a few star indigenous players that could have helped us win a flag I’d understand but that’s not what has happened. Harbrow is the only one in recent memory that’s been much good.

Because we seem shut out from about 10% IIRC of the footy talent that we rarely recuit and don't retain when we do. How can that not matter?

Because we seem shut out from about 10% IIRC of the footy talent that we rarely recuit and don't retain when we do. How can that not matter?
Because we aren’t shut out at all and recently won a flag with two players who fit in that 10% on our list.

I believe the last three premiership sides have had a total of five indigenous players in them including Hamling for what it’s worth.

We are at liberty to draft indigenous players when we choose. The reason our recent indigenous players haven’t played 100 games for us is because most weren’t up to it. The fact almost all came from interstate isn’t helpful either, which is what cost us Harbrow and Hamling, both of whom received offers to move home on more money than we could offer.

I think our best bet is to pick the best players regardless of race. I suspect if a gun indigenous player found their way onto our list and was getting a game they’d be more than happy to stay.

Because we aren’t shut out at all and recently won a flag with two players who fit in that 10% on our list.

I believe the last three premiership sides have had a total of five indigenous players in them including Hamling for what it’s worth.

We are at liberty to draft indigenous players when we choose. The reason our recent indigenous players haven’t played 100 games for us is because most weren’t up to it. The fact almost all came from interstate isn’t helpful either, which is what cost us Harbrow and Hamling, both of whom received offers to move home on more money than we could offer.

I think our best bet is to pick the best players regardless of race. I suspect if a gun indigenous player found their way onto our list and was getting a game they’d be more than happy to stay.

Im not saying pick players based on race. Im saying we dont seem to have had as many indigenous players as other clubs. Clubs like Essendon have made it their business to put in place indigenous talent spotting and development programs. We haven't. And I believe we suffer for it.

Agree to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not saying pick players based on race. Im saying we dont seem to have had as many indigenous players as other clubs. Clubs like Essendon have made it their business to put in place indigenous talent spotting and development programs. We haven't. And I believe we suffer for it.

Agree to disagree.

If this is an issue the club wish to rectify its not a hard fix.

Get the AFL to help us develop indigenous players through and AFL provides mentor.

Then get that man to be Magic Mclean. He is held in very very high esteem among the indigenous boys and his work up north is said to be brilliant. I’d love to see him back at the club. An absolute gentlemen and a better man you will struggle to find

He was the one who assembled our core: Macrae, Bontempelli, Daniel, Dale, Dunkley, English, Naughton, Richards.

Despite picking up Naughton and Richards with our top picks in 2017, this was also the point the club's heirarchy decided Beveridge gets the final say in all football operations, including list management. They let Beveridge overrule Dalrymple with our first rookie pick, which lead to Dalrymple leaving. This was also the first in a long, ongoing string of highly questionable mature-age recruits who played for Footscray.

Deserves far more credit for the 2016 success.

He was the one who assembled our core: Macrae, Bontempelli, Daniel, Dale, Dunkley, English, Naughton, Richards.

Despite picking up Naughton and Richards with our top picks in 2017, this was also the point the club's heirarchy decided Beveridge gets the final say in all football operations, including list management. They let Beveridge overrule Dalrymple with our first rookie pick, which lead to Dalrymple leaving. This was also the first in a long, ongoing string of highly questionable mature-age recruits who played for Footscray.

Deserves far more credit for the 2016 success.
Where did the notion that the club pretty much gave Bevo full control over everything footy related come from ?

Where did the notion that the club pretty much gave Bevo full control over everything footy related come from ?
When we drafted Gowers, Dalrymple wanted someone else and Bevo pushed for Gowers, and we eventually ended up with Billy. Simon has hinted/basically confirmed there was friction between he and bevo at the club in at least one interview since leaving the Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dalrymple leaves the Kennel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back