List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta think that Houston’s situation doesn’t augur well for signing Bergman to another contract. Pretty sure his longterm girlfriend returned to live in Victoria this past year after an initial trial in SA.
Even though we have some coverage moving foward in the half back role with guys like farel, Burgoyne and sinn the last 2 hopefully realising their potential the next couple of years. I keep wondering the plan to get perryman or cumming was to cover for both houston AND Bergman not being here moving foward. You would assume we have been in Wanganeen- Mileras ear already.

This is why 2 first round picks (or a very high pick) are what we should need to accept a trade for Houston. Houston is a prime 2xAA who is just about the best player in his position and just about the best kick in the AFL. If you drafted him with pick 5 and he turned out like this you'd call it a great pick.

But apparently we should accept pick 13 and a VFL player. Picks in the teens are never guarantees.

Looking at the 2018 super draft, there isn’t a single player taken from pick 13 in onwards that we would consider a good return for Dan Houston.

Duursma, Bobby hill, rowbottom ? Ok, nice players , but any one of those as a return for Dan would be a massive loss.

Looking really positive for Houston staying at port for the moment. I can’t see how Collingwood get it done, both with Gold Coast then us without both sides rolling over massively. Carlton seemingly not interested unless it’s a single pick which surely doesn’t get it done and north will struggle to split their pick 2 for anything meaningful in this draft and I don’t think we do it for their f1. Honestly believe it’s the best outcome for us.

Maybe Ollie Lord could unlock this deal?

Seriously though the only explanation is that Justin Leppitsch is ******ed.
Leppitsch even said in his interview today that they went in thinking the trade of noble for 13 was going to be the easy part. Man, talk about having no idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the 2018 super draft, there isn’t a single player taken from pick 13 in onwards that we would consider a good return for Dan Houston.

Duursma, Bobby hill, rowbottom ? Ok, nice players , but any one of those as a return for Dan would be a massive loss.

My god your inconsistent messaging annoys me. One minute one can’t look at the history of draft picks the next minute you highlight the history of draft picks. What next, you will defend Marshall because he is played out of position?

]][emoji6][emoji6]" data-quote="PJ Power" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Gotta think that Houston’s situation doesn’t augur well for signing Bergman to another contract. Pretty sure his longterm girlfriend returned to live in Victoria this past year after an initial trial in SA.

Yeah no probs, two late second rounders outta do it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

ok its time for my dumb question...

Why not let Houston live in Melbourne but still play for Port?
He is a senior player, he knows what to do.

He can attend all meetings virtually.
He can provide all the relevant training data.

He would be travelling to half the games anyway, does it really matter if he goes to a Sydney game from Mel or Adl?
He can do rehab with the other players for the 24 hours post game.

Are we at the point that this is feasible for a senior player?
Creative thinking is good, I like the idea in principle... Unfortunately it wouldn't work in the modern game. Russel Ebert lived in Adelaide while playing for North Melbourne.

Fcuk it. Im at the point where I'd buy a membership next year if we traded the farm to GC for Luko & pick 13 so Collingwood cant get their grubby little mitts on a pick they're dealing that they don't even have.

Leppitsch is reeking of 'do you even know who I am' vibes.
Get North to split 2 for Fremantles 10 and 11 which will be probably 12 and 13 realistically and trade their 11(13) plus future 1st for Houston

Then trade ports future 1st and future 2nd for Lukosius and 13(15)

Trade out Soldo to Saints for for future 2nd

All bases covered for next season draft and better picks realistically plus it brings Lukosius in and 2 1st round picks

Potentially then trade pick 11(13) to Sydney for 19(21) & 22(24)

Offer Pies pick 39(41) for Richards

Picks - 13(15), 19(21) & 22(24) plus Luko and Richards and Norths future 1st & saints future 2nd 👍

Creative thinking is good, I like the idea in principle... Unfortunately it wouldn't work in the modern game. Russel Ebert lived in Adelaide while playing for North Melbourne.
And he and Bruce Light lived in the Riverland while at the maggies IIRC.

Thank you for at least trying to give me a decent answer.
The rest were disappointing.

For a state which will regularly suffer from the go home factor, why not be innovative?
At least determine whether a process for it can be put together for 6 year plus players.

At 24-28 years old you are thinking about kids, you are thinking about where you want them schooled, why not be a leader in trying to help players manage this?

Last edited:

Hopefully his close friendship with Hornet and now Logan Evans makes him think what's more important. Seems him & Logan are close now and like a big brother mentor type for Bergman. Time will tell.

Getting rather beyond the joke now with these "girlfriends" or wives dictating to relocate back to their home state instead of enjoying the ride whilst it lasts because players footy career isn't for long. These blokes need to start hardening up and explaining this or IMO, separating.

Hopefully his close friendship with Hornet and now Logan Evans makes him think what's more important. Seems him & Logan are close now and like a big brother mentor type for Bergman. Time will tell.

Getting rather beyond the joke now with these "girlfriends" or wives dictating to relocate back to their home state instead of enjoying the ride whilst it lasts because players footy career isn't for long. These blokes need to start hardening up and explaining this or IMO, separating.

Nothing wrong with SA chicks, or guys if that’s their preference.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back