List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood turning John Noble and a future pick into Dan Houston would be one of the best offseasons of all time.

If they don’t have any more picks to give then get 3-4 year deals in front of Ben Allen, Harry DeMattia or any other younger players we rate on their list. or just shut this circus down now.

Looking at Collingwood's top agers

Pendlebury 36
Howe 34
Sidebottom 33
Cox 33
Elliot 32
Mihocek 31
Mitchell 31
Hoskin-Elliot 31
Crisp 31

And about to trade out early picks for Houston, plus losing a mid-age player in Richards.

There's a cliff coming ...

There is a correlation between the ‘little club from Alberton’ and ‘everyone’s second team’ rhetoric and our poor negotiating. I reckon it also plays a part in letting the Victorian AFL media influencing the value we give and get for our trades. Essentially, Koch has set an environment where we need to be seen as reasonable in all trades. So, we start every trade from a vulnerable position.

This is certainly at play with Dan.

If we make a dumb trade it's on us not some dicktorian on trade radio
You can argue we shouldn’t, but we do. It’s not even debatable at this point that we fold to media pressure.

Sure, there’s responsibility on the club (and by club let’s be clear , when we use the word “us” like you’re using it’s pretty tenuous, who feels like this is their club anymore? The one where members have no control and were forced to operate under different controls than vic clubs)

but if you think the afl media doesn’t run a racket , and that our club isn’t susceptible to it you’ve got your head in the sand.

It’s widely accepted here that Hinkley has had a record breaking run here in his tenure and during that time the media has ran a protection campaign for him.

It’s not even up for debate that said campaign has protected him.

And the messaging around trades lol. There’s been clear contradictions applied to port time and again, and it’s entirely clear we’ve folded to them.

And we all are under the impression that we’re going to fold to them again this offseason.

Can anyone imagine the kind of media backlash port would have copped if during our hunt for Jhf if we had said our current first was off the table. We would have been torn to shreds. Shreds.

All good, happy to keep him. 13 + 23 will be there at a minimum in 12 months after potentially 3 straight AA campaigns.

Not fussed on richards either way. Should be a late 3rd round pick at best via trade anyway.

Just a reminder that Essendon fans have held a grudge against us here for years cause they viewed the pick 17 and second rounder we gave up for paddy “I’m going to sue you campaigners for jabbing me up with unknown drugs and have a long ban hanging over my head” Ryder.

The idea that 17+ second rounder for Ryder was such horrid unders that dons fans are still upset by it but we should take 13 + 2nd rounder for AA Houston is putrid.

Carlton if they think they are in the window need to ask themselves questions like if you are 2 points down in a prelim with 2 minutes left on the clock in the last quarter do you want Houston pin pointing a 50 plus metre kick out of defense or do you think your current lot could pull it off.. it's that simple if you think you are close.

Pony up if you are serious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm fully accepting that port will do shit deal for Houston like 13+23+Richards for Houston what is 100% reflective of the meek attitude that makes me less and less involved with Port

Carlton if they think they are in the window need to ask themselves questions like if you are 2 points down in a prelim with 2 minutes left on the clock in the last quarter do you want Houston pin pointing a 50 plus metre kick out of defense or do you think your current lot could pull it off.. it's that simple if you think you are close.

Pony up if you are serious.

Can I humbly suggest port should also be asking the question, do we want Houston to be doing that against us for a lousy draft pick and spud Owies.

So let me get this straight.
Dan Rioli is worth pick 6
Josh Battle is worth pick 8
John Noble is worth pick 13.

On that basis/weighting, Dan Houston is worth pick 2. Nothing else should be entertained.

I’ve seen some absolutely nutterbutters evaluations, especially from a certain rival fanbase.

• ‘Houston’s not worth a top-10 pick’
• ‘Pick 13 & a future second is overs’

A reigning 2-time All-Australian who is contracted to the end of 2027.

🤔

Seems to be a few people already handing Houston to Collingwood.

Davies made it clear today that Houston hasn't nominated a club and at the moment Port are happy to sit back and see who is making the best offer. He also reiterated the point that Dan knows a deal won't go through unless we're happy with it.

On Collingwood he said

I've heard that Collingwood are confident, maybe, that they are the leader right now. I'm not sure that there's any point in me suggesting anyone's (in front) until a deal actually happens.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/1674103/davies

It's day 1. There's plenty of time to play out, especially if North split pick 2 for 2 first round picks and put a package together.

It’s no doubt already been said somewhere along the way.

But if Dan Houston was a South Australian at Collingwood and Joe Richards was a Victorian at Port — exact same careers and individual accolades to date as in reality — we’d be getting laughed out of town for offering less than 2 first rounders for Dan, or expecting more than a fourth rounder for Joe.

Hell, all the talk around our early pursuit of Orazio Fantasia was that a first round pick and Powell-Pepper ‘wasn’t seen as enough’, and the Essendon mafia was floating names like Wines and Butters with a straight face.

Fair point. The reality is we generally deal when people want out.
Yes and I kind of like that in a way but I think Dan needs to come to the table here and go to the club port will
Get the best deal from, and if that is North, off you go Dan. I actually think North could surprise in 2-3 years, hopefully the reverse is true of Collingwood. I think Port fans will have every right to boo old mate if he chooses / demands Carlton or Collingwood but North had a better offer on the table.

I need to get off BigFooty this time of year is even worse than losing finals in many ways.

Yes and I kind of like that in a way but I think Dan needs to come to the table here and go to the club port will
Get the best deal from, and if that is North, off you go Dan. I actually think North could surprise in 2-3 years, hopefully the reverse is true of Collingwood. I think Port fans will have every right to boo old mate if he chooses / demands Carlton or Collingwood but North had a better offer on the table.

I need to get off BigFooty this time of year is even worse than losing finals in many ways.

Long term contracted player does that to weaken our hand I'd definitely be booing him. Maybe even if he still ends up staying here after poo-ing in his own nest like that.

Rolling over on this trade completely unnecessarily would set a terrible precedent for a (speculative, obviously) future Butters-return-to-Vic trade.

Koch, Davies, are you effing well listening: screw becoming the Port Adelaide Suns. Screw that. Screw it.

Collingwood turning John Noble and a future pick into Dan Houston would be one of the best offseasons of all time.

If they don’t have any more picks to give then get 3-4 year deals in front of Ben Allen, Harry DeMattia or any other younger players we rate on their list. or just shut this circus down now.
Ben Allen might be a bit passed his prime , his son Ed is looking alright. but essentially I agree with you guys , Houston is a gun , so you should receive fair return from any suitor , unfortunately I feel you guys will believe you have been dudded. Just like your coach is a fraud .

Long term contracted player does that to weaken our hand I'd definitely be booing him. Maybe even if he still ends up staying here after poo-ing in his own nest like that.

Rolling over on this trade completely unnecessarily would set a terrible precedent for a (speculative, obviously) future Butters-return-to-Vic trade.

Koch, Davies, are you effing well listening: screw becoming the Port Adelaide Suns. Screw that. Screw it.

100% agree with your sentiment, the sad reality is that exactly who Port Adelaide basically are, except unlike the suns the expectation is to make the top 8. I cannot understate how disgusted I am by the manner in which this current administration has taken the club away from its roots, and the manner in which they are not (and in many ways can not) be held accountable for it. I was the most passionate bloke at Footy Park in those late 90s, I am now a floundering mourning mess.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back