List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'll cave because they are desperate for a first rounder this year, Dan has done us little favours he may as well have nominated Collingwood or Carlton as he appears highly unlikely to agree to North.

Sorta but Bris had won 50% more games in that time.

Also Bris % in 2018 = 89%.
North % in 2024 = 63%

Brisbane were never league worst all time like North. North aren't jumping out of the bottom 4. The Crows still finished bottom 4 after years of building. They are the type of team capable of the Brisbane. A team on the verge.
I remember Brisbane having serious issues when Leppa was coach, they were pathetic back then, players were leaving in their droves and i think we beat them by around 100 points a few times.

I'm not suggesting that North will jump as much as Brisbane did in 2019 but i think it wouldn't be ridiculous to suggest they might be in that 9-12 range. Which with father sons, compo, academies etc, pushes those picks in to double figures.

Honestly, i think North has better young talent coming through than Adelaide.

The equivalent player I can see is Isaac Heeney in trade worth.

What's he worth to a team?

Top 10 pick and pick in the late 20s or earlier at minimum.

It's just incredibly aggravating for the media narrative to have landed on a F1 for Luko being a fait accompli, while we're being told we should give up Houston for a late first and a firm handshake.

'The media' don't pull these things out of nowhere, they are constantly being fed information from people in the know. What they are reporting is the crux of the current discussions between the clubs. History says the club that appears to be getting screwed over ends up getting some sort of later pick or pick swap thrown in but it never changes dramatically. Get your heads around the idea that we're not getting two first round picks for Houston.

The Age is alleging he has picked Collingwood, I suggest do not judge until we see/hear Dan has chosen the Pies.
I'm already judging him based on the following:
  • Signed a long term deal, that still has 3 years to run.
  • Was added to the leadership group this year.
  • Back to Back AA's in the last 2 seasons, his football has never been better.
  • And despite all of the above he still wants to leave.

If he nominates a club after saying he just wants to get to Victoria and wants the best deal for Port, that'll just be the cherry on the top.

I've given up on him staying, so he is already dead to me. I feel like a lot of frustration on here is directed at Carlton or Collingwood for simply wanting to get the best deal, which is what we'd hoped our club would do, but in reality the frustration should be directed at Houston.

This is a far different set of circumstances to anyone else that has left our club recently, most of them were either out of contract, pushed or had genuine family reasons. This is just a joke.

'The media' don't pull these things out of nowhere, they are constantly being fed information from people in the know. What they are reporting is the crux of the current discussions between the clubs. History says the club that appears to be getting screwed over ends up getting some sort of later pick or pick swap thrown in but it never changes dramatically. Get your heads around the idea that we're not getting two first round picks for Houston.
'We think Joe Williams plus a late future 2nd rounder sweetened the deal significantly & when you add in Lukostcius we've navigated the trade period extremely well' CD.. probably.

How TF can anyone project where we're going to finish next year + how the draft pool is going to evolve over the coming 12 months? It's absurd to be so definitive about that. I hope the person you spoke to isn't a decision maker, though it's likely they've at least absorbed the opinions from people who are. It's instructive that the club is once again going all in for a flag in spite common perception being that we're likely to slide.

The quality of a draft is generally known at u16 level. The Rozee superdraft was called a superdraft for a three years for example. With future trading its the recruiters jobs to know the quality of each draft inside and out and given they watch 100s/1000s hours of footage of these kids they would have a strong idea of how deep a draft is and the quality of the top end before the start of their draft year.

Not saying it doesnt alter, but it doesnt jump from ordinary to superdraft in their draft year

How TF can anyone project where we're going to finish next year + how the draft pool is going to evolve over the coming 12 months? It's absurd to be so definitive about that. I hope the person you spoke to isn't a decision maker, though it's likely they've at least absorbed the opinions from people who are. It's instructive that the club is once again going all in for a flag in spite common perception being that we're likely to slide.

It's all group think nonsense. The first round of this draft might be considered excellent but the actual reality is that many of those players won't become any good. Look at the first round of the 2018 super draft - it's a mix of guns, good solid players and spuds. There's no actual guarantee of picking a gun player in the first round of this year's draft, despite what the group think tells you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media are saying F1 for Luko being a fait accompli because the AFL has just confirmed Port do not need special approval to trade next year’s future first pick. And I am OK with that providing we also get a second rounder back with Luko for next year’s first.

It breaks the nexus with trading Dan where the Pies are running out of chips; I am sure Jason is still talking to clubs like the Saints & North. So perhaps Jason is contemplating asking the Saints if hypothetically, would they consider trading their pick 8 and next year’s first for Dan & Solda.

Or if/when we have traded Dan to the Pies; pick 13 + Solda for Saints Pick 8 plus a Mississippi pick shuffle (where we should also have recieved the Pies 2nd rounder).

Who Knows Idk GIF by Dolly Parton

The Age is alleging he has picked Collingwood, I suggest do not judge until we see/hear Dan has chosen the Pies.
Seriously, the guy is contracted for another 3 years. He has no say in which club he goes to. He has publicly said that his concern is for whatever the best deal for Port is. We should be dealing with North and no one else - they have the best deal on the table - so win-win - he gets to Melbun and we get a fair trade for a reigning two-time All Australian.

We have all the leverage here. Don't f*** this up Port!

You can see why the media runs their Victorian protection rackets, it obviously ****ing works. The fact that so many of you seem to somehow be okay with swapping contracted dual AA Houston for fringe player Lukosius without bringing in a single extra first rounder is testament to that.

Stands out so much more in a year where Rioli and Bolton are widely accepted to fetch more and barrass the same.

I put this concept to someone at Port yesterday, and they snapped saying that the value of their future 1st is significantly less than a pick in the teens in this draft.

They believe that the quality of this draft is much, much better than next year, which is why they're likely going to give up a future 1 to get this deal done in the next week.

I personally don't agree with it, but that's the rationale of thinking down there.

It's interesting that they're so in love with this year's draft now and yet last year were happy to offload all of this year's picks for a bunch of role players to fill Kenny's holes.

Must be secretly happy that Houston asked for a trade because I can't see any other way we would've got back into this year's draft.

There's no deal that gets done that Port lose on here. Dan is under contract and stays under contract to Port Adelaide unless Port think it's a good idea that he isn't.

Collingwood and Dan may have an agreement if a deal can be done but the bottom line is Dan is lining up for Port next year unless Collingwood find picks they don't have.

I know this is probably living in fantasy land now, but here's my go at a mega trade to unlock Houston, Rioli, Soldo and Lukosius.

Richmond Get: Pick 2
Richmond Give: Daniel Rioli

Gold Coast Get: Daniel Rioli, Pick 27
Gold Coast Give: Pick 6, Jack Lukosius.

North Melbourne Get: Dan Houston, Port Adelaide Future 2nd
North Melbourne Give: Pick 2, Future 1st round

St Kilda Get: Ivan Soldo
St Kilda Give: Pick 27

Port Adelaide Get: Jack Lukosius, Pick 6, North Future 1st
Port Adelaide Give: Dan Houston, Future 2nd, Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back