List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this is probably living in fantasy land now, but here's my go at a mega trade to unlock Houston, Rioli, Soldo and Lukosius.

Richmond Get: Pick 2
Richmond Give: Daniel Rioli

Gold Coast Get: Daniel Rioli, Pick 27
Gold Coast Give: Pick 6, Jack Lukosius.

North Melbourne Get: Dan Houston, Port Adelaide Future 2nd
North Melbourne Give: Pick 2, Future 1st round

St Kilda Get: Ivan Soldo
St Kilda Give: Pick 27

Port Adelaide Get: Jack Lukosius, Pick 6, North Future 1st
Port Adelaide Give: Dan Houston, Future 2nd, Ivan Soldo
Its honestly not as ridiculous as some of the anti-Port trades floated in the media.

You watched him a lot this year, Ross.

Would you give Charleson another year? He was injured a bit which may have affected him.
If he was on a 1 year deal as a rookie, I would have cut him.

****ing gross.

Maybe if we love this year's draft so much we shouldn't have traded our first rounder in it for a backup ruck who hates the joint and the worst forward in the league. This club is a joke.
Yes but you see when we did that it didn't matter because this draft wasn't looking anywhere near as good as 2025.

****ing gross.

Maybe if we love this year's draft so much we shouldn't have traded our first rounder in it for a backup ruck who hates the joint and the worst forward in the league. This club is a joke.
The funniest thing about this btw is that everyone is angry with the result, knowing that we traded out pick 18.

Yet when we actually made the trade that pick could just as easily have been a top 10 pick. We got the best possible scenario in terms of the pick, got a full season out of Esava, and are still pissed off. That shows how absolutely godawful that trade was.

I put this concept to someone at Port yesterday, and they snapped saying that the value of their future 1st is significantly less than a pick in the teens in this draft.

They believe that the quality of this draft is much, much better than next year, which is why they're likely going to give up a future 1 to get this deal done in the next week.

I personally don't agree with it, but that's the rationale of thinking down there.

This is contradictory as we didn't hesitate to move our future first (this year's first) for depth players last year.

Football department is not aligned.

This is contradictory as we didn't hesitate to move our future first (this year's first) for depth players last year.

Football department is not aligned.

My guess on that front was that they saw getting Soldo, Rat, BZT etc as the final missing piece of the puzzle to what they deemed was a premiership list.

The whole concept of port allowing/not challenging Houston when he said I'll stay if a deal can't be done then not accepting a F1 from North Melbourne doesn't sit right with me. Kane cornes was right (eww) the whole AFL industry isn't ruthless enough
Melbourne are the benchmark now. Clarry pushed for a move to Geelong. Dees told him to get ****ed.

It's a real shame we're going to lose an absolute jet, and the best we'll get is a speculative pick 13. Far out. We're going to need to absolutely nail that pick, and pull another Butters out of our hat.

It's criminal how much Houston has been under rated in the thinking around this trade. We really should be walking away.
Just watch us pull another Moore out of the hat with that pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My guess on that front was that they saw getting Soldo, Rat, BZT etc as the final missing piece of the puzzle to what they deemed was a premiership list.
Maybe they should've gotten some good players instead.

(apologies to BZT, he's alright)

I put this concept to someone at Port yesterday, and they snapped saying that the value of their future 1st is significantly less than a pick in the teens in this draft.

They believe that the quality of this draft is much, much better than next year, which is why they're likely going to give up a future 1 to get this deal done in the next week.

I personally don't agree with it, but that's the rationale of thinking down there.

Pretty funny considering that they traded out this year's first to bring in some magic beans.

Edit: I see this point has been made several times already, but it bears repeating.

Last edited:
Maybe they should've gotten some good players instead.

(apologies to BZT, he's alright)
Getting Rat was a good idea. Without him, we are an injury away rom Bergman on Hogan.

People forget that his first half a season was very good, taking plenty of intercept marks and being moved forward and taking multiple contested marks. Fell off after that but not the dreadful season those with goldfish memory are making out. We still need him.

Is that what they offered? Do we know who pick 17 ended up being?

Billy Morrison as I recall.

Yes, exactly.

(David Mundy and Sam Butler at 19 and 20)

Getting Rat was a good idea. Without him, we are an injury away rom Bergman on Hogan.

People forget that his first half a season was very good, taking plenty of intercept marks and being moved forward and taking multiple contested marks. Fell off after that but not the dreadful season those with goldfish memory are making out. We still need him.
The issue isnt how good or bad he is. His season came after the trade so cant be used in judging the trade.

The issue is he was a fringe player at Geelong who had tried to leave for two years and we could have taken for free. We had all the leverage for a player who would by most objective statistical analyses be rated around pick 40-60.

Geelong said they wanted a first rounder with zero justification AND zero leverage... and we still managed to cave.

So yes I agree getting him was a good idea. It should have been as simple as putting pick 40 on the table and telling Geelong take it or we draft him.

Like i posted yesterday, the only sensible thing to do is to work out a deal with North Melbourne, they have more to deal with and why in hell would we want Collingwood and Carlton to get stronger, seeing they are two clubs we will be competing with for a finals spot.

Once Dan said he wants out and that entails breaking a contract, Port must look after the club and get the best possible deal, if that means North so be it.

Face it when Dan is playing for the opposition, we won't have any care factor for him and he won't hold back in trying his best when playing against Port.

Like I said when he sets foot away from Alberton he is then the enemy.

Last edited:
Which makes an absolute mockery out of keeping Ken.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The same list they said was crap mid-season. They are really running a tight operation down there

Last edited:
Like i posted yesterday, the only sensible thing to do is to work out a deal with North Melbourne, they have more to deal with and why in hell would we want Collingwood and Carlton to get stronger, seeing they are two clubs we will be competing with for a finals spot.

Once Dan said he wants out and that entails breaking a contract, Port must look after the club and get the best possible deal, if that means North so be it.

Face when Dan is playing for the opposition, we won't have any care factor for him and he won't hold back in trying his best when playing against Port.

Like I said when he sets foot away from Alberton he is then the enemy.
Unfortunately, Port are people pleasers.

Making a fellow finals contender stronger and granting a player their wish would be seen as a win within the walls of Alberton, where it's all about being good people as opposed to ruthless.

It's also why we watch on while other clubs taste the real success.

Unfortunately, Port are people pleasers.

Making a fellow finals contender stronger and granting a player their wish would be seen as a win within the walls of Alberton, where it's all about being good people as opposed to ruthless.

It's also why we watch on while other clubs taste the real success.
People continue to underestimate the shitshow position we are in.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cardone has got on the phone with Davies to make sure things are moving along smoothly.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back