List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest news:

Collingwood Getting even more pathetic, Deal with North exclusively!!!

John Ralph 7 Minutes ago- The Advertiser
Collingwood is still the resounding favourite to secure Dan Houston despite believing the Power's current demand for the dual All Australian equates to a trio of late first-round picks.
The Pies are prepared to secure Gold Coast's no. 13 and 23 picks in a swap with their future first-round selection and departing defender John Noble.
But they are not prepared to hand over 13 and 23 to the Power, believing Sydney would then trade its picks 19 and 22 for the cherished No. 13 pick.
It would leave the Power with picks 19, 22 and 23 and Richards for Houston.

A strong club would say north or nothing. Unfortunately port will roll over and try to make Dan happy over the club being successful
Exactly. Look at Geelong they said absolutely no to trading away required players just because they wanted to leave, if it didn’t suit them.

Jesus Christ, some of these media pundits have no clue.

Watched Trading Day and what the f*** was Jordon Lewis on about Ollie Lord potentially unlocking the Houston deal? WTF is he smoking? Port ain’t the reason why the trade is being held up. Pies have to come to the table, we should not be getting lowball offers.

Also why the f*** is Collingwood worried about what Port does with its pick if the report is accurate?
Maybe we wanted to check if pick 13 could be on traded to Sydney for 19 and 22? Who knows, we might think we can get a cluster of the players we rate in this draft with 19, 22 and 23. I don’t like it personally but it’s feasible.

I might be speaking too soon here, but what gives me hope in this negotiation is that all week Collingwood have tried to run this trade through the media.

Every day we hear how Collingwood have this in the bag, but no trade happens. Collingwood complain Port wants too much, Collingwood try to guess what Port will do with the picks, Collingwood say releasing Lord will unlock the deal.

None of this comes from Port and Port says nothing. Which is how trade negotiations should work. We know we are in the position of strength and we are sweating Collingwood.

Plenty to play out here and if Dan really wants to go back to Victoria, he will authorise a trade to North on Wednesday if Collingwood can't come to the party. We've stared them down once before and it ****ed them for years and it ****ed the player.

So Collingwood are hoping Port will trade a contracted dual All-Australian player for less than fair market value and then they express concern about what Port will do with the equity of their less than fair market value proposal so try to reduce their paltry offer further.

Got it.

Just walk away.

Ollie Lord unlocking the deal is hilarious honestly.

I remember all the talk about Zak Butters needing to unlock the JHF deal. This is even more ridiculous somehow.

I might be speaking too soon here, but what gives me hope in this negotiation is that all week Collingwood have tried to run this trade through the media.

Every day we hear how Collingwood have this in the bag, but no trade happens. Collingwood complain Port wants too much, Collingwood try to guess what Port will do with the picks, Collingwood say releasing Lord will unlock the deal.

None of this comes from Port and Port says nothing. Which is how trade negotiations should work. We know we are in the position of strength and we are sweating Collingwood.

Plenty to play out here and if Dan really wants to go back to Victoria, he will authorise a trade to North on Wednesday if Collingwood can't come to the party. We've stared them down once before and it ****ed them for years and it ****ed the player.
Absolutely. And despite some posters saying we will cave, at this stage there is nothing to suggest that is happening. Collingwood and the Victorian media can go and get ****ed.

Why is everyone so outraged already. We haven’t even lodged a single trade deal yet and everyone is losing their shit.

Seems like we are holding our ground so far, and not interested in the sub par offers.

We hold the upper hand, we can absolutely keep him, I’m still doubtful we will but it seems like it’s a genuine option.

I guess Houston will eventually leave whether it is this year, next year or the year after, so we need to consider whether this year is the best time to do it. And if Houston is really desperate to go, come on down north.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Great post.

It's been said but trading Houston to Collingwood or Carlton needs to be more lucrative for us than sending him to North or the Saints.
We have to consider how much we improve those sides and how it affects our flag hopes.

Why is everyone so outraged already. We haven’t even lodged a single trade deal yet and everyone is losing their shit.

Seems like we are holding our ground so far, and not interested in the sub par offers.

We hold the upper hand, we can absolutely keep him, I’m still doubtful we will but it seems like it’s a genuine option.

I guess Houston will eventually leave whether it is this year, next year or the year after, so we need to consider whether this year is the best time to do it. And if Houston is really desperate to go, come on down north.

Because we always roll over and trade for unders. We also pay a fair price for our trade targets

On PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app

[emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="Papa G" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Hey... I manscape!

And [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]Scodges are you on Weichat or something? Your posts are unreadable.

iPhone, I’m getting that when I post.

If he doesn't wanna go to North, I'd prefer to hold him to his contract and keep him. With regards to a trade with the Pies, the old adage of if everyone is a little unhappy, it's probably as fair as can be. This scenario feels like everyone comes out feeling like they overpaid/didn't get enough:

GC give: pick 13, pick 23, GC F2, Lukosius
GC get: Coll F1, Coll F2, Port F1, Noble

Coll give: Pick 36, Coll F1, Coll F2, Noble, Richards
Coll get: Houston, GC F2

Port give: Port F1, Houston
Port get: Pick 13, Pick 23, Pick 36, Lukosius, Richards

Again, I'd prefer to keep Houston than the above but I'm also gonna temper my expectations.

In this scenario, GC gives up two known quantity picks in a strong draft, plus a future 2nd... And gets similar value picks back. Then it's like a swap of Luko for Noble. Not the best return but gives them points they need next year. They'd be hoping their season is better than Collingwood's so that F2 swap actually works in their favour.

Collingwood gives up both future 1 and 2, plus known quantity 36 this year, plus two players that as much as we'd like to pretend they're nothing, they would like to keep and both would have multi year contracts with Coll on offer, to get GC future 2 and Houston. That's a lot to give up for an aging list to get a star and a speculative second rounder from an improving team. They'd also be banking on Houston to help improve them so the F2 swap is in their favour.

We give up Houston and our future 1. We've all sort of accepted the F1 for Luko thing, it's a risk for potential, but I don't see it as any riskier than a draft pick when we know at worst, Luko is a long-term AFL footballer in a position of need. Therefore Houston nets us 13, 23, 36 and Richards. At least the picks are known quantities in a draft we like. Feels like a first rounder and steak knives, but I feel like they're Tim Shaw steak knives at least.

There we go, everyone unhappy, probably as fair as it'd get. If you think "such and such" make out like bandits, see if their team's fans agree, cos I bet you they'd hate it too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he doesn't wanna go to North, I'd prefer to hold him to his contract and keep him. With regards to a trade with the Pies, the old adage of if everyone is a little unhappy, it's probably as fair as can be. This scenario feels like everyone comes out feeling like they overpaid/didn't get enough:

GC give: pick 13, pick 23, GC F2, Lukosius
GC get: Coll F1, Coll F2, Port F1, Noble

Coll give: Pick 36, Coll F1, Coll F2, Noble, Richards
Coll get: Houston, GC F2

Port give: Port F1, Houston
Port get: Pick 13, Pick 23, Pick 36, Lukosius, Richards

Again, I'd prefer to keep Houston than the above but I'm also gonna temper my expectations.

In this scenario, GC gives up two known quantity picks in a strong draft, plus a future 2nd... And gets similar value picks back. Then it's like a swap of Luko for Noble. Not the best return but gives them points they need next year. They'd be hoping their season is better than Collingwood's so that F2 swap actually works in their favour.

Collingwood gives up both future 1 and 2, plus known quantity 36 this year, plus two players that as much as we'd like to pretend they're nothing, they would like to keep and both would have multi year contracts with Coll on offer, to get GC future 2 and Houston. That's a lot to give up for an aging list to get a star and a speculative second rounder from an improving team. They'd also be banking on Houston to help improve them so the F2 swap is in their favour.

We give up Houston and our future 1. We've all sort of accepted the F1 for Luko thing, it's a risk for potential, but I don't see it as any riskier than a draft pick when we know at worst, Luko is a long-term AFL footballer in a position of need. Therefore Houston nets us 13, 23, 36 and Richards. At least the picks are known quantities in a draft we like. Feels like a first rounder and steak knives, but I feel like they're Tim Shaw steak knives at least.

There we go, everyone unhappy, probably as fair as it'd get. If you think "such and such" make out like bandits, see if their team's fans agree, cos I bet you they'd hate it too.
You accept garbage trades like this if you have no other options and the player is leaving. If Dan had openly nominated Collingwood then this could make some level of sense.

Dan hasn't though - he has said he is willing to go to any club in Victoria, or stay. We have no reason to get destroyed like this when he could go to 10 other clubs (Port included).

Hearing he had a walk through facilities last night and this gets done today to Collingwood.. I bloody hope we don't get screwed but given how early it is.. very likely.

Any trade week result where we give up Houston and our F1 and only get one first rounder back (23 doesn't count) is an automatic massive fail. I don't care how many Jack Lukosius' or Joe Richards' or second rounders you throw in on top.

Like that most free agents leave the lesser clubs to go to top clubs, all this is doing is making the top clubs stronger and the bottom clubs weaker.
Yep, free agency has destroyed the concept of equalisation. I use the term concept deliberately as the Afl is only interested in supporting clubs where it has maximum to gain.

You accept garbage trades like this if you have no other options and the player is leaving. If Dan had openly nominated Collingwood then this could make some level of sense.

Dan hasn't though - he has said he is willing to go to any club in Victoria, or stay. We have no reason to get destroyed like this when he could go to 10 other clubs (Port included).
Like I said, I'd prefer to just hold him to his contract or deal with North.

If Port decide they don't want to do those things however, it's time to accept we ain't gonna get what we want/what he's worth. We just grit our teeth and hope that we don't get severe unders.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back