List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think Rat is a better defender than forward. He 100% should have been playing in defence against the 3 tall Sydney forwards, but Hinkley is a moron.

Our defence improved because Bergman went back and Logan Evans came out of nowhere, not so much Esava going out. Also because our midfield lifted and we stopped leaking fast break goals.

We really need to stop playing Bergman as a key defender and let him play the Tom Stewart role instead. I would be playing Esava and BZT as your lock downs and Bergman and Aliir roaming and intercepting. Having Aliir on Cameron in the Geelong final was a disaster and in the Sydney game, we had Bergman and Evans playing on 200cm monsters. It was a joke.
I think it is a little more complicated than that. I think Esava moving out was part of the improvement too.

Things improved without Esava because he struggled to understand what his purpose was in defense and pretty much tried to become a second Allir when there is only room for one and they just go in each other's way. Bergman and Evans improved things for sure, but Allir improved too once Esava moved out.

Maybe your model might work if Bergman effectively replaces Houston. Bergman can do the intercept mark part better but clearly a big drop off in the kicking.

Need to be careful here.

Individually, Ratugolea had some good moments/games. However, for whatever reason our backline clearly improved when he moved out of it. This was likely a combination of factors, not least of which was the form of Bergman and Evans in the back half of the year, the improvement of Jones but also the definite improvement in the form of Aliir. BZT complemented Aliir well (until two of the finals!). Ratugolea had two promising games as a forward then failed to capitalise on the opportunity to play there uninterrupted for the rest of the season.

I’m comfortable having Ratugolea on our list as a back up option for Aliir and a break glass option (for limited games only) at CHF.

This does not mean that we should have caved in to Geelong to get him for a R2 pick (plus extra sweeteners) when he was out of contract.

Esava is not going to get better than what he’s shown so far in his career.

He now gives us a high level SANFL defender and a depth AFL player.

People are entitled to be underwhelmed by that without being called uneducated supporters.
Who do you play on Hogan, Lynch, Thilthorpe, Curnow/McKay, B.King, M.King, Wright, Naughton/Darcy/Ugle-Hagen, Waterman/Allan, resting ruckmen? 12 months ago we were crying out for a 198cm Tall Back who could take the monsters- that is his role first and foremost.

Being underwhelmed is one thing. That is a matter of opinion. My opinion is he had a good year- his stats were career best, his 4 contested marks and two goals were instrumental in us beating Carlton. His semi-final against Hawthorn was good. Given he is a lockdown defender, he did his job, imo.

But to suggest he ought to be delisted with 2 years to go on his contract because he is so bad- that’s not being underwhelmed-that’s ignorance and ought to be called out for what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who spent the second half of the season raging that we were picking Rat in the forward line, I agree with this. He has a pretty solid defender for most of the season.
I disagree.

I remember raging at him for the following poor efforts:

Multiple clangers.
Letting goals cross the line without touching the ball beforehand.
Some diabolical turnover kicks.
A handful of marks - at best.

Dan I just want to say. The Roos are a bit of a sleeping giant/powerhouse, they aren’t a nothing club at all 😉. You’ll be surprised at how many fans they get at their games and you’ll win many flags there mate.

I'm as lolnorf as the next guy, but for once in their existence I want to see them get the star player. I'd even be happy to take 'relative' unders for Dan (assuming its better than the Collingwood offer) just to really fcuk Leppitsch off and leave him to explain how he screwed the pooch by being an arrogant prick.

Dan I just want to say. The Roos are a bit of a sleeping giant/powerhouse, they aren’t a nothing club at all 😉. You’ll be surprised at how many fans they get at their games and you’ll win many flags there mate.
With Parker, Darling and Houston in, I can legit see them finishing 13th ish next year. They got a lot of young talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back