List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

With Carlton and Hawks swapping picks
Could freo offer tigers 10 11 and 18 for Bolton and Baker.
We then trade Houston to Roos for pick to.
We swap pick 2 for 10 and 11 or 10 and 18 with the tigers
We could probably do that with north's future first. Tigers already stated that if they end up with the kind of draft hand that they will have they would prefer to take extra pucks into next year as they don't want 10 awesome kids who all come out of contract in the same year. I think that thinking had some bearing on signing balta for 7 years 🤔

I think you'll find that we think he is a decent player. I've seen a him a bit and think he's quite a competent player. Our problem goes like this. We have a bunch of small forwards on our books. Now my expectations is that we will probably be asked for a 3rd Round pick to get him.

Is Richards a 3rd round pick better than the small forwards that we have, that we have pretty much given nothing to get.

And Hinkley will probably use him as a pressure forward not as a goalkicker.
Didn't we use thus years first rounder last year to trade with the dockers for 3 2nds which is why freo have our pick and we drafted 3 small forwards who are all "still developing"

Can GC forget using pick 6 for the Rioli deal since Richmond are making it hard for themselves and just use pick 6 as the central piece in the 3 way trade between the pies, suns and port?

GC following hawks example with their attempted dealing WC.

Hey Port fans. Scrolling through and seeing lots of you saying Richards is worth a fourth rounder or whatever. Just so you know, Joe is going to be a great get for you. His improvement from last year to this year was incredible. Really smart footballer, sharp around goals, can find the ball and uses it well. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you see him play. If he keeps improving like he did this year he will be a star.
Here at port , we do not play pokies with players . He is going to or will be not our style . If you want Dan then cough up 2 first rounders and 2nd round pick . Player like Richard can only be sweetner to the deal but not part of deal . Otherwise keeps on dreaming ....

Hey Port fans. Scrolling through and seeing lots of you saying Richards is worth a fourth rounder or whatever. Just so you know, Joe is going to be a great get for you. His improvement from last year to this year was incredible. Really smart footballer, sharp around goals, can find the ball and uses it well. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you see him play. If he keeps improving like he did this year he will be a star.
How about Pick 13, Bobby Hill and Richard’s for Houston?

I am going to throw this here first to gauge the amount of criticism I may get if I post this on X but:

1728651472820.png

Who loses in this deal?

In my view:
Richmond get fair compensation, 2 first rounders for Rioli is slightly overs but close enough

Pies can view it as getting 39 for Richards which is overs but they pay Noble, 36 and F1 for Houston which is close

Suns they can see it as F1 for Luko (slightly overs imo), Rioli for 6, Noble + 36 for 13 (which values Noble at pick 27 which maybe overs as well but offsets with Luko)

Port, I think we could actually even use pick 6 on a Tauru or use it to split say for Carlton's 12 and 14, or Essendon giving us 9 and a future first.

The biggest question is, are Richmond willing to give up their dream of pick 6 and make it 13 + F1

Talk of delisting Rat with four years of contract is clearly nuts.

However, this rose coloured glasses stuff. Rat's individual performances might have been ok in parts if you overlook the intercepted kicks and marks a meter behind the goal line. The thing is he upset the team balance in defense (particularly Allir's role) from the get and go and we only started to look better in defense once he was pushed out and replaced by Bergman. His first game up front was reasonable but then he offered very little for the next 6 weeks. I think our team will be better next year if he is not in it. I would entertain trades for him in the unlikely event anything half decent was offered and we can cut our loses.

However, as no one will offer anything remotely like we did, we should keep him as first reserve either up front or down back. The only thing that might safe him next year in our team is our need to find the least bad backup ruck/least disruptive forward. It will come down to one of Finn (possibly on wing), Vis, Rat or Lord (upfront). What a choice!
My thoughts exactly. What bothers me is we overpay for a player (it was a need so can sort of accept this) but then feel obligated to always play him even if it's detrimental to the team. Any club worth their salt picks players on their week to week performance. Don't care how much you cost, how many Brownlows or B&Fs you've won or how nice a guy you are. Perform or you're playing reserves.

I am going to throw this here first to gauge the amount of criticism I may get if I post this on X but:

View attachment 2138730

Who loses in this deal?

In my view:
Richmond get fair compensation, 2 first rounders for Rioli is slightly overs but close enough

Pies can view it as getting 39 for Richards which is overs but they pay Noble, 36 and F1 for Houston which is close

Suns they can see it as F1 for Luko (slightly overs imo), Rioli for 6, Noble + 36 for 13 (which values Noble at pick 27 which maybe overs as well but offsets with Luko)

Port, I think we could actually even use pick 6 on a Tauru or use it to split say for Carlton's 12 and 14, or Essendon giving us 9 and a future first.

The biggest question is, are Richmond willing to give up their dream of pick 6 and make it 13 + F1

I feel like the Suns are losing out here to make the deal work, but they may value that F1.

I feel like the Suns are losing out here to make the deal work, but they may value that F1.
Depends on how badly they want Noble, but I don't see them as losing by much tomorrow. I genuinely think it's the closest deal I've seen where everybody gets what they want

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2138730

Who loses in this deal?

In my view:

Have I got it right in that this equates to:

Houston for pick 6
F1R for Lukosius
Pick 39 for Richards and 51

Sorry, but to me we lose a bit on every deal other than the Richards one.

We pay max for Lukosius
We get only a single good pick for Houston

We lose our current R2 pick

To make this work for us there needs to be a second round pick coming back our way. Ideally 23. At worst 29.

We’d also need to get a R2 pick for Soldo to make the overall trade period a pass.

There is every chance that if we accept 13 and 23, and then give away our F1 for Luko we end up paying more for Luko then we get for Houston.
We are as likely to finish 10th as we are in the top 4.
Richards is worth nothing.

View attachment 2138730

Who loses in this deal?

In my view:

I'd take that, but not entirely sure why our 39 is in there.

If we don't get what were after, there's a lot of value in us just holding him and revisiting everything in 12 months. We'd be fine with it, I'm sure based on what Dans said he'd be accepting of it.

This garbage of "were jaded and wanting too much for Houston because we missed out on free agents" is ridiculous.

Did we not say two firsts even before Cumming and Perryman slipped through?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Talk of delisting Rat with four years of contract is clearly nuts.

However, this rose coloured glasses stuff. Rat's individual performances might have been ok in parts if you overlook the intercepted kicks and marks a meter behind the goal line. The thing is he upset the team balance in defense (particularly Allir's role) from the get and go and we only started to look better in defense once he was pushed out and replaced by Bergman. His first game up front was reasonable but then he offered very little for the next 6 weeks. I think our team will be better next year if he is not in it. I would entertain trades for him in the unlikely event anything half decent was offered and we can cut our loses.

However, as no one will offer anything remotely like we did, we should keep him as first reserve either up front or down back. The only thing that might safe him next year in our team is our need to find the least bad backup ruck/least disruptive forward. It will come down to one of Finn (possibly on wing), Vis, Rat or Lord (upfront). What a choice!
Agreed re Esava, and assuming the club keeps Lord he is the player who should be developed as the gorilla type forward to compliment the lighter framed talls.

He would need to improve his ruckwork, but as he should only be doing it occasionally in the forward 50 it shouldn't be a huge issue, and if he can improve and stay fit for the majority of games Rat could spend a fair bit of the season playing for the Maggies where his inability to make the correct decision won't be as crucial.

It actually seems like we’re standing out ground

The offer we want is what nearly everyone considers unders though.

It’s a pseudo ‘standing out ground until we get what we want’ to sell a pretty poor offer as a win.

We went from ‘absolutely 2 first rounders minimum’ to trying to get ‘13 + 23’. I excluded Richards as he has 0 trade value.

Both of those picks move out with academy players to something like 15 + 27.

Long way back from 2 first rounders or even a certain future 1st or potential split of pick 2 coming from North.

Standing our ground would be saying North if you want to get back to Victoria. Win win win for all 3 parties. Or stay if it’s ’I want to get back to Victoria….but only to a massive club, contending for a premiership and offering pittance to my current club’.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back