News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Come in peace,

You've a good player in Joey Richards, yeah I know not in the same universe as Dan.

Gotta say I do love the goal Dan kicked to sink the bombouts after the siren on their home deck, awesome.

Hopefully he sinks the blose, bombouts and tigs again next year :thumbsu:

I must’ve been watching a different finals series, I thought jhf was one of very few that had a red hot crack in all 3 finals.

Watson from hawthorn isn’t fit to tie jhf’s laces, what the hell am I reading?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well he was in the finals when it countered the most

Next year SPP on Houston please run through him legally
If Richard can keep Mac n Cheese out of the side bonus
Lukosisius can kick 30 plus goals bonus
I've already forgotten the other 1 we got.
Pick 13 time will tell
Deal even my rear end hurts
We also need to nail pick 29 and 36 .

We're a significantly worse team without Dan Houston. Simply look at how often we turned the ball over against Geelong and Sydney in Finals.

Let's not forget that Farrell was out injured too. Having him back will solidify things. We also played pretty well against Freo and Hawthorn without Houston in the team so it's not like he's the be all and end all.

Obviously we're a worse team without him but half back flank is the easiest position on the ground to play. Just remember that we don't lose everything Houston gave us, we lose the difference between Houston and the next best player (that could be Sinn or Burton or whoever). It's a setback but the biggest problem with it by far is that we basically received nothing in return.

Logan Evans getting even better next year will go some way to cover Houston. Time to also back in Sinn and see if Williams can regain his class from 2023.

Whether we can salvage anything from the Houston trade will ultimately be determined by who we get at pick 29, and by how good Lukosius and Richards can be.

Pick 13 will be judged against whoever is taken as the F1R we gave GC.

Can’t do much about Houston leaving, it’s done now. We’ve probably been lucky in that space lately, where we’ve been able to hold on to players we want.

Houston is a good player and it’s disappointing we didn’t show more balls and hold him to his contract but we seem to be big on having good trade relations in recent years, it always looked like a bluff to me and we would fold and be the nice guys.

I try and reconcile this limp dicked approach by the fact we were able to pull off a miracle trade for jhf in 2022 when he was a contracted generational number 1 pick, perhaps being a good trading partner helped massage that one through. And it felt like we really wanted to deal with north again but Houston refused to go there despite all his BS about being open to all options and staying if a good deal couldn’t be brokered.

I acknowledge I’m reaching for a silver linings here, and will probably be labelled a happy clapper for merely suggesting anything that isn’t complete rage against all things PAFC.

I honestly think Houston did us dirty, and sounded like their camp made it seem like it would be super toxic if we went down the holding him to his contract path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were my favourite player Dan but you’ve shown your true colours mate.
Have some respect for the club and fans and stick by your word you would be happy to stay- port clearly did not want to do this trade. So what happened? You have lied constantly this year. Absolute snake in the grass.
They don't give a shit so pointless saying anything. He'll just enjoy raking the money in and ignore outside noise whilst joining the boys club. Majority of these players couldn't care less about supporters/fans and/or even the club.

Can’t do much about Houston leaving, it’s done now. We’ve probably been lucky in that space lately, where we’ve been able to hold on to players we want.

Houston is a good player and it’s disappointing we didn’t show more balls and hold him to his contract but we seem to be big on having good trade relations in recent years, it always looked like a bluff to me and we would fold and be the nice guys.

I try and reconcile this limp dicked approach by the fact we were able to pull off a miracle trade for jhf in 2022 when he was a contracted generational number 1 pick, perhaps being a good trading partner helped massage that one through. And it felt like we really wanted to deal with north again but Houston refused to go there despite all his BS about being open to all options and staying if a good deal couldn’t be brokered.

I acknowledge I’m reaching for a silver linings here, and will probably be labelled a happy clapper for merely suggesting anything that isn’t complete rage against all things PAFC.

I honestly think Houston did us dirty, and sounded like their camp made it seemed like it would be super toxic if we went down the holding him to his contract.

It's just more amusing seeing clubs like Melbourne basically hold majority of their players as hostages to their contracts yet Port and other clubs do what they believe is "right"... look at Kozzy as one example. Regardless of how often it comes up on almost a yearly basis that he has home sickness or would like to leave (outside Victoria) it gets shut down and sounds rather hostile IMO how Melbourne treats it.

Port could of done the same with Houston but didn't 🤷

I still don't understand how we got so bogged down in this deal with these clubs.

It doesn't look like Connors' agency is directly involved with many of the players concerned. I don't reckon they manage Lukosius, Noble, or Richards, and the Ratking is effectively negative steak knives.

Is it as simple as us making a rod for our own back by showing interest in players from Gold Coast and Collingwood, and then being too stupid or weak or incompetent to hold a particular line on how we were and were not prepared to engage? Surely we'd have been better off giving up our F1 for Lukosius, walking Richards to the draft, and dealing with Houston separately?

Chewy316 (or anyone else in the know) do you have insight here?

They considered doing separate deals for Lukosius and Richards.

Connors got the deal done though. He's not even Houston's agent - his agent is Nick Giechen (sp) who is part of Connors' management group and is tight with Crippa. And that relationship is why Houston went to Connors directly and essentially said "you need to get the deal done for me because Nick isn't going to" - and so Connors went to work and did what he does best. He's the Jorge Mendes of the AFL.

Lukosius was always going to cost a future 1 with a sweetener coming back - that was agreed upon very quickly during negotiations. I'm getting variations on what the sweetener was (being the salary dump of Atkins). I was told yesterday the sweetener was getting pick swaps of 39 into 36 and 58 into 50, but this morning (before the trade was done) I was told Atkins being part of the deal ensured Port got pick 29. So I'm not quite sure about wtf happened in the end.

Imagine being unlucky enough to be a supporter of the shit show this club is. This is definitely payback for growing up supporting the actual Port Adelaide of the 70s, 80s and early 90s.
Speak for yourself.
Yeah that's good for you old pricks who could enjoy those days!

For me, the late 90s is a haze, only flag I genuinely remember is 04... so well **** it!

Agreed!

This AFL shit show is far from the strong ruthless club my dad told me about as a kid.

I feel ripped off!

Cripps had probably rejected the trade and then the board came in today and demanded it be done.

Afterall have to serve their real masters at the AFL. Can't have 3 of the big 4 Vic teams missing finals again.

This is categorically incorrect.

The Board never got involved in this deal. Board members are part of the footy committee (which includes Richo, CD etc), but there was never any directive from the Board to get a deal done (or not). That was a complete furphy from Sam Edmund this morning.

So North's offer according to Chewy was rubbish as well and in reality the Houston camp were never going there in the first place. I am just annoyed that Melbourne was never mentioned again and all the crap about being open to going anywhere was complete bull. This is all on Houston and his management for mine. We were backed into a corner with nowhere to go.

Melbourne were relieved Houston pulled out of the deal because when they committed to him, they hadn't imploded yet and hence this year's first round pick wasn't as high as it ended up being. They were in a quagmire and would have done the deal if Houston remained committed to Melbourne, but once the Petracca stuff happened he bailed on them.

Ultimately, Houston didn't know what he wanted outside of getting back to Melbourne. He was hellbent on the Demons. Then he was "adamant" he was going to Carlton. Then it was Collingwood but he still wanted Carlton. Then he settled on Collingwood because they could get the deal done.

Ashcroft
Daicos
Watson

Keep excusing our players for whatever reason and they’ll end up as flagless “champs” like Gray and Boak.

You think those aforementioned 3 would play to the levels they did in recent finals series under Hinkley?

Let's not forget that Farrell was out injured too. Having him back will solidify things. We also played pretty well against Freo and Hawthorn without Houston in the team so it's not like he's the be all and end all.

Obviously we're a worse team without him but half back flank is the easiest position on the ground to play. Just remember that we don't lose everything Houston gave us, we lose the difference between Houston and the next best player (that could be Sinn or Burton or whoever). It's a setback but the biggest problem with it by far is that we basically received nothing in return.
The only thing Farrell has comparable to Houston is an elite leg nothing else.

Burton should be delisted he's a fukcing soft awful footballer.

They considered doing separate deals for Lukosius and Richards.

Connors got the deal done though. He's not even Houston's agent - his agent is Nick Giechen (sp) who is part of Connors' management group and is tight with Crippa. And that relationship is why Houston went to Connors directly and essentially said "you need to get the deal done for me because Nick isn't going to" - and so Connors went to work and did what he does best. He's the Jorge Mendes of the AFL.

Lukosius was always going to cost a future 1 with a sweetener coming back - that was agreed upon very quickly during negotiations. I'm getting variations on what the sweetener was (being the salary dump of Atkins). I was told yesterday the sweetener was getting pick swaps of 39 into 36 and 58 into 50, but this morning (before the trade was done) I was told Atkins being part of the deal ensured Port got pick 29. So I'm not quite sure about wtf happened in the end.

What exactly are we supposed to get out of this relationship with Connors? What has Connors and Cripps being tight done for us?

We've overpaid for fringe players 2 years in a row. We've traded out 2 firsts and one of our best players for peanuts. Yet again Port put being the Care Bears ahead of actually achieving anything.

Is the club aware of how pissed off the supporters are with this trade? Do they care?

You think those aforementioned 3 would play to the levels they did in recent finals series under Hinkley?
I think the best midfielders play very good footy in big games irrespective of their coach. That clearly doesn’t apply to all players in your 22, but I expect our top handful of players to excel when the team most needs it. It may not translate in wins, but there should be no doubt that they brought their very best.

In a similar vein, I find it hard to accept that Carr hasn’t been able to get the best out of Wines, Drew, Butters, Rozee or JHF in any one of the five finals he’s presided over as midfield coach.

Ken’s to blame for a lot and should have been sacked at the end of 2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2023. But our best players never being at their best in any of the last six finals we’ve played is also a reflection of them and their line coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back