News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with a lot of this, but would counter that today they don't have any idea of what they're doing seems from my perspective a bit odd given they've been 4 out of the last 5 years in the top 4, and I don't think you can get those on field results without having at least some idea.

What I will say is that there is a large chunk of decision makers at the club who have very little idea as to how to moves from top 4 regulars to actual premiership contenders. Getting rid of Hinkley would obviously solve some of that but I think we are in denial to think that's the panacea of all problems at the club.
This post doesn't make me feel optimistic going forward, or I am I reading more into it?
It sounds like we are a divided club atm.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of this, but would counter that today they don't have any idea of what they're doing seems from my perspective a bit odd given they've been 4 out of the last 5 years in the top 4, and I don't think you can get those on field results without having at least some idea.

What I will say is that there is a large chunk of decision makers at the club who have very little idea as to how to moves from top 4 regulars to actual premiership contenders. Getting rid of Hinkley would obviously solve some of that but I think we are in denial to think that's the panacea of all problems at the club.
The fact that we've had a list that's been capable of finishing top 4 four times, including top 2 twice, and yet haven't made a single grand final in that time indicates just how awful the key decision makers are.

Makes you think there has to be more to it. Almost like they were more than happy to get him outta the club in the end.

He's an entitled, ungrateful, me before team sook. Fair enough you still want to extract fair value but culturally we will be better off without him.

In hindsight it's extraordinary that they put him in the leadership group this year given this behaviour and also the fact that Chris Davies himself is on the record describing Houston as "idiotic" only a few years ago.

In relation to the latter par, I come back to my view that the list is not the main problem. That we have continued to make it into the top-4, despite the coach and the dogshit game plan he implements, demonstrates that both our top-end and depth is fine (yes, even Jed). To be able to capitalise on that position going into finals, the coach is the key thing to change. You might be right about him not being the only problem but he is such a large part of it that you can't determine any of the others until it goes.

As for coaching being the main problem at the club, you know my view on that. The shit flows down from the top. The admin needs to be vacuum scraped out of the pipes. While it might be correct that they have achieved a degree of financial security for the club, that they see that as an aim in itself and not as only a means of ensuring the football operations part of the club is the best it possibly be, has led us into our current crises (not that they would admit to any crises).

He's an entitled, ungrateful, me before team sook. Fair enough you still want to extract fair value but culturally we will be better off without him.

In hindsight it's extraordinary that they put him in the leadership group this year given this behaviour and also the fact that Chris Davies himself is on the record describing Houston as "idiotic" only a few years ago.
This was a warning sign

1729119362901.png

He's 25 in a couple of weeks, not 19. He's played 9 games ffs. Gun? Laughable.

FWIW, I've got a couple of good mates in Melbourne who are Collingwood supporters and they say he's a gem. They aren't usually ones to gild the lilly so I'm happy to take that as gospel for the time being.

FWIW, I've got a couple of good mates in Melbourne who are Collingwood supporters and they say he's a gem. They aren't usually ones to gild the lilly so I'm happy to take that as gospel for the time being.

Yeah I reckon he'll go alright. Clean, kicks both feet. That's an upgrade in class straight away.

When did CD say that, what was it about?
I missed it completely

23 instead of 29
and F2 given instead of F1 for taking Atkins contract
i think most people would have been happy with

Not entirely, Richmond got Freo's two first round picks for Jai Bolton. Richmond lost the likes of Bolton, Graham and Rioli but they finished with picks 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23, 24 . I rate Houston highly and still feel we should have finished with two first round picks for him. Richmond did the business and we should have done as they did.

Chris Davies saying, 'we can cover for Houston' is treating the supporters with utter contempt. He knows, as do we all, that Dan Houston was the cornerstone in our defence and a dual All Australian. I would like Davies to nominate the player that is going to replace Houston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not entirely, Richmond got Freo's two first round picks for Jai Bolton. Richmond lost the likes of Bolton, Graham and Rioli but they finished with picks 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23, 24 . I rate Houston highly and still feel we should have finished with two first round picks for him. Richmond did the business and we should have done as they did.

Chris Davies saying, 'we can cover for Houston' is treating the supporters with utter contempt. He knows, as do we all, that Dan Houston was the cornerstone in our defence and a dual All Australian. I would like Davies to nominate the player that is going to replace Houston.
It's a completely bunk comparison. Richmond were lucky enough to be dealing with players that wanted to go to states with clubs that had picks and valued players over potential. Unfortunately we were stuck with making the decision between Victorian clubs that were interested and our want / need to get into the draft. Richmond clearly have the picks, but they're also entering a very clear rebuild and wouldn't be keen on giving up too much for a player who's got 3-5 left. My guess is that Collingwood put that offer together, we went to North and asked for their best offer, and it was worse than Collingwoods. Now.... was North's ultimately worth less if you factor in taking on Atkins and giving Houston to a direct immediate competitor? I guess that's the risk. Maybe we said "a bird in the hand...."?

The only valid criticism here is "We should have kept him". In saying that you're saying we should have kept him and taken a hit with this draft. Theorizing what we should have got is pointless as the offers weren't there. You can have a basketball card "worth" a fortune but if nobody wants to buy it, it's worth jack shit.

There is an element where I'm happy for Houston to not be playing under Hinkley and I'll really feel that if Butters leaves.

I mean we bag the club and the coaching and Hinkley and we are a total mess so I don't have a huge problem with players leaving a toxic work environment.

I don't know for sure but Houston seems like more of a mercenary move, fair enough, but Butters loves football and loves winning and I wish we had a coach who was the same and had the capacity to do so.

That toxic work environment may not be there much longer and when Ken is gone in 12 months the likes of Houston will also be gone and Butters may also be gone. We should build for a Hinkley free future not the Hinkely era present.

Unlike some I do not have any positive feelings re Dan Houston's departure. I do not think Dan was entirely up front and I do not feel we got full value for him in the market place. As I posted Richmond got two first round picks for Jai Bolton and we should have played hard ball- #16 and #32 picks, as they will turn out is not enough. From the outside it looks like we backed down when push came to shove.

Some of the reading here post trade are interesting to say the least.
Yep Houston could’ve posted a message by now thanking fans and the club to make our day a bit better.
If he’s a garbage human for leaving or lying, it doesn’t leave much wriggle room for a huge chunk of the population.
Probably didn’t bleed for the club, we seemingly got screwed somewhat with the trade. Move on.

It's a completely bunk comparison. Richmond were lucky enough to be dealing with players that wanted to go to states with clubs that had picks and valued players over potential. Unfortunately we were stuck with making the decision between Victorian clubs that were interested and our want / need to get into the draft. Richmond clearly have the picks, but they're also entering a very clear rebuild and wouldn't be keen on giving up too much for a player who's got 3-5 left. My guess is that Collingwood put that offer together, we went to North and asked for their best offer, and it was worse than Collingwoods. Now.... was North's ultimately worth less if you factor in taking on Atkins and giving Houston to a direct immediate competitor? I guess that's the risk. Maybe we said "a bird in the hand...."?

The only valid criticism here is "We should have kept him". In saying that you're saying we should have kept him and taken a hit with this draft. Theorizing what we should have got is pointless as the offers weren't there. You can have a basketball card "worth" a fortune but if nobody wants to buy it, it's worth jack shit.

In an open market you name your price and if the punters do not want or cannot pay there is no deal. If Dan was out of contract it would be a different story but the fact is he wasn't.

We should have had the upper hand but went to water.

A direct quote from Dan at Collingwood ‘Pulling on the black and white stripes for the first time felt unreal’
No worries buddy. What a garbage human being.
Well he’s a Victorian that obviously loves the big Vic culture.

Privately I have heard he is a massive dickhead off the field as well.

Karl Amon 'i play for port pear' levels of dickhead.

If our game plan is so reliant on one half back flanker, then I would suggest there is something wrong with our game plan.

I wonder if that's been mentioned before? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back