News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was Houston I wouldn't be in a hurry to 'thank' the fans assassinating my character in this thread because I don't want to play anymore for a club that half of us don't even want to watch anymore either.

My only emotion towards Houston is ‘envy’.

He escaped the cult without having to drink funny-smelling cordial to do it.

He's not making it up. The person giving him the information is making it up. He's getting played.

It's never anything negative. It's always some positive story about how something good nearly happened, or an excuse about how we had no choice but to do whatever stupid thing we just did, or a kicking of the can down the road and an urging to keep the faith (now that the trade period's done I'm sure Ken is getting sacked any day now!) I don't recall ever seeing a Chewy 'ITK' post designed to leave someone feeling less positive after they read it.

Credit to whoever's behind this, it's a far more effective strategy than a Janus-esque shill. Any poster who comes on here and tells us how great Ken is really is going to get instantly rejected. But "The club wanted to sack Ken before but couldn't for reasons outside our control. But Ken will surely be sacked this time! Oh wait no he wasn't because of some new reason outside our control. But next week he'll definitely be sacked! And also how good is Josh Carr gonna be guys!" is much more subtle but effective messaging.

The only person who is making something up is you with this conspiracy theory that just looks silly and ridiculous to those who actually know :thumbsu:

The only person who is making something up is you with this conspiracy theory that just looks silly and ridiculous to those who actually know :thumbsu:
Man who is being played doesn't realise he's being played. Film at 11.

His manager is lying to Port to keep the door open and Port is believing it is what it sounds like.

Not at all. When you've been told that he's going to request to leave during his exit interview, only to end up re-signing a contract, red flags jump up. Port have no issues with the manager from my understanding. But I don't think they're going to be trying to actively get Kozzie now given the funny games that have gone on the last two times they tried.

Mind you, I think one of the times may have been the 2022 trade period, which the Club ended up with JHF and Rioli so it was hardly a bad return!

I prefer the inside line than not having it.

Its just all about context. There is no point in shooting the messenger.

Is there any possible excuse for not telling Dan to stay/go to Melbourne/go to Norf, or hell just deal with the Blues who he was happy to play for and we had a better offer on the table from? No, there isn't. It was an awful trade that we had no reason to do. Who gives a flying **** if Dan gets pissy at us? But is it worth knowing what the weak as piss reasoning for it was internally? I think so.

Port would have done the Melbourne deal. Melbourne was happy Dan pulled out of that deal because they agreed on trading two first round picks, but at the time that deal was agreed upon Melbourne were much higher up on the ladder. So they were quite relieved that Houston pulled out because it meant they had access to a high pick in the draft.

North's offer was less than Collingwood's. Was pick 13 via the Gold Coast and a late round sweetener. I'm not sure what talks Carlton had with Port but I don't think they were ever truly keen on Dan - Voss was driving that whereas the list manager to my knowledge had other ideas (ie trade for pick 3 instead).

FWIW, I don't think they do this deal if their opinion of the upcoming draft class was similar to next year's class. I don't necessarily agree with it, but if you consider that next year 5 of the top 8 and 7 of the top 18 are academy players, it's a pretty compromised draft especially at the top end where first round picks are going to blow out into the mid 20s after free agency compo selections and what not. And I'm not sure when Tassie is going to start getting draft picks at the top end but it won't be too long after that. So it's the last relatively uncompromised draft for the foreseeable future, and given the talent in it, whilst I don't necessarily agree with the return, I understand why they've gone down this road when looking at the bigger picture.

In that scenario it makes a lot of sense to cull a few of the elderly for a draft pick or two this year, get to keep the age of the group down pretty low.

Wonder if Clurey will be able to step up again in a defensive role.

In that scenario it makes a lot of sense to cull a few of the elderly for a draft pick or two this year, get to keep the age of the group down pretty low.

Wonder if Clurey will be able to step up again in a defensive role.

The only way Clurey will get a game at AFL level is if there are multiple injuries to the KPDs. Would need two of Aliir, BZT and Ratugolea to be injured. Though he might be higher up the depth chart if Ratugolea trains as a forward or a ruck prospect this pre-season.

He's not making it up. The person giving him the information is making it up. He's getting played.

It's never anything negative. It's always some positive story about how something good nearly happened, or an excuse about how we had no choice but to do whatever stupid thing we just did, or a kicking of the can down the road and an urging to keep the faith (now that the trade period's done I'm sure Ken is getting sacked any day now!) I don't recall ever seeing a Chewy 'ITK' post designed to leave someone feeling less positive after they read it.

Credit to whoever's behind this, it's a far more effective strategy than a Janus-esque shill. Any poster who comes on here and tells us how great Ken is really is going to get instantly rejected. But "The club wanted to sack Ken before but couldn't for reasons outside our control. But Ken will surely be sacked this time! Oh wait no he wasn't because of some new reason outside our control. But next week he'll definitely be sacked! And also how good is Josh Carr gonna be guys!" is much more subtle but effective messaging.

This has been pretty obvious for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bingo! Schulzy

His posts are always one punch away from being one punch away.

And you are right, they are getting into the Janus type area.

The club is run by a media personality. Of course, you get propaganda on here from the club.

There are some other people who like to help out and reinforce these opinions in a moderate way.

My favourite during the year was a post completely denouncing the list not long after Chris Davies said it.

Here's to Jed.

Not at all. When you've been told that he's going to request to leave during his exit interview, only to end up re-signing a contract, red flags jump up. Port have no issues with the manager from my understanding. But I don't think they're going to be trying to actively get Kozzie now given the funny games that have gone on the last two times they tried.

Mind you, I think one of the times may have been the 2022 trade period, which the Club ended up with JHF and Rioli so it was hardly a bad return!
This is what I'm saying - the person who told Port that lied.

Not having issues with the manager just means the manager is working them over successfully. Every manager is a liar.

Port would have done the Melbourne deal. Melbourne was happy Dan pulled out of that deal because they agreed on trading two first round picks, but at the time that deal was agreed upon Melbourne were much higher up on the ladder. So they were quite relieved that Houston pulled out because it meant they had access to a high pick in the draft.

North's offer was less than Collingwood's. Was pick 13 via the Gold Coast and a late round sweetener. I'm not sure what talks Carlton had with Port but I don't think they were ever truly keen on Dan - Voss was driving that whereas the list manager to my knowledge had other ideas (ie trade for pick 3 instead).

FWIW, I don't think they do this deal if their opinion of the upcoming draft class was similar to next year's class. I don't necessarily agree with it, but if you consider that next year 5 of the top 8 and 7 of the top 18 are academy players, it's a pretty compromised draft especially at the top end where first round picks are going to blow out into the mid 20s after free agency compo selections and what not. And I'm not sure when Tassie is going to start getting draft picks at the top end but it won't be too long after that. So it's the last relatively uncompromised draft for the foreseeable future, and given the talent in it, whilst I don't necessarily agree with the return, I understand why they've gone down this road when looking at the bigger picture.
Regarding Melbourne & Carlton - the point I'm making is that we should have said to Dan look we need a fair price for you and you have to be willing to deal with that club offering that price, or you're staying. Any club with balls would have done exactly this.

Also sorry but I just really struggle to believe the bolded. No matter who your source is, that contradicts everything we heard all trade period, including from C4 who is usually pretty spot on. And even beyond that, comparing one club's final offer to another club's opening is not a fair comparison. There is no question in my mind Norf would have given up more than we got.

Finally even if we do rate this draft (which totally contradicts us trading out a first for a couple of fringe players last year), if we got Norf's F1 we still could have traded it back in to this draft.

I can only speculate on that.

Do I think the Board cares about fan reaction about the Houston trade? Minimally.

Do I think the Board cares about the fan anger over recent decisions and results particularly surrounding finals and the coach etc? Yes. Do I think the Board is going to act or make any decision based solely on fan sentiment alone? The only time that has ever happened under this regime was when they went back to the 1 captain model in 2020 after the unmitigated 2019 disaster.

At the same time, the great Wayne Bennett once said if you consistently listen to the fans you'll end up being with them.
He could coach. Agree with that sentiment until there is a consistent groundswell of supporter opinion over a period of time. Then you need to take note. We passed that point several years ago. Sometimes people on the inside just can't see it because they're either self-interested or they live in a bubble.

Yes but it's only a $25 voucher, I get $50 ones every time I defend Jed 🧀
**** me, you'd own the entire store by now.

How many $50 vouchers do you need to accrue to pay out Hinkley's contract?

Regarding Melbourne & Carlton - the point I'm making is that we should have said to Dan look we need a fair price for you and you have to be willing to deal with that club offering that price, or you're staying. Any club with balls would have done exactly this.

Also sorry but I just really struggle to believe the bolded. No matter who your source is, that contradicts everything we heard all trade period, including from C4 who is usually pretty spot on. And even beyond that, comparing one club's final offer to another club's opening is not a fair comparison. There is no question in my mind Norf would have given up more than we got.

Finally even if we do rate this draft (which totally contradicts us trading out a first for a couple of fringe players last year), if we got Norf's F1 we still could have traded it back in to this draft.

The offer put to Port by North on Tuesday morning (the day the trade was done) was 13 (traded from the Gold Coast after acquiring 13 for North's future 1st) and a late round sweetener for Houston, and that was a final take it or leave it offer. North were unwilling to go off that because pick 25 was used to acquire Caleb Daniel.

The thought many had were if North were offering their future 1st round pick (a likely top 5 pick) that it would be the most valuable asset in any potential trade for Houston. Rightly or wrongly, I don't ever get the sense that Port ever wanted North's future 1st, and instead would have used it to acquire a pick in the first round of this year's draft instead (hence North's offer of 13 plus a late round sweetener).

I however would suggest that if Houston showed a willingness early in the process to join North, then a deal would have most likely gotten done resulting in a better return.

[emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="danman[emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
As someone who knows Kozzie personally this is misinformation and not true at all I'm positive you make your 'inside information' up.

Has he a preference to play for us, or Freo ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

By Damian Barrett

2 hrs ago

IF there has been a worse deal in trade history ... THEN​

Port's for the exit of Dan Houston ...​

Nah, there hasn't been. Too nice, this club. I would've held him to his contract. Played off a break by player agent Paul Connors, who was afforded way too much control. Let's see if a big-name, Connors-managed player joins Port in the 2025 trade period. That would be the only justification for this 2024 trade period disaster. And even that wouldn't make it right.

Bulldogs basically getting pick 17 for Bailey Smith (Macrae and Kennedy cancel each other out, if anything Bulldogs lose on that too) was worse than the Houston trade.

Plenty of people rate Bailey Smith in the top 5 of the 2018 superdraft and he's 23 years old.

Still, sticking your flag in the sand on the Houston trade gives them another reason to defend Hinkley next year.

Bulldogs basically getting pick 17 for Bailey Smith (Macrae and Kennedy cancel each other out, if anything Bulldogs lose on that too) was worse than the Houston trade.

Plenty of people rate Bailey Smith in the top 5 of the 2018 superdraft and he's 23 years old.

Still, sticking your flag in the sand on the Houston trade gives them another reason to defend Hinkley next year.
Smith was out of contract, recovering from an ACL tear and has a history mental health and allegedly substance abuse issues.

Our trade consisted of simultaneously getting underpaid for Houston and overpaying for Lukosius.

Both were bad but ours was worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back