News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

You're coming around.
I'm not mad about it. I don't see why any Port supporter would be mad about that comment, I thought it was hilarious. If I was a Collingwood supporter I'd be mad about it.

I think people need to stop speculating or having any concerns as to the people I'm speaking to, and rather, focus on the topics at hand, in this case, Houston's trade to Collingwood.

Okay

We accepted massive unders to the point where we're only competing with the Bulldogs for the worst performing club in the trade period according to basically everyone who has an opinion on the matter.

The question now is why?

Davies and Cripps effectively dodged the question when asked, so we have to speculate based on the information we have available to us.

The inside info that we had (from you, and I have no question that you have a high level contact) in the lead up to the trade was saying all the right things about not accepting a bad deal, but we did, so what are the internal machinations within the club that led to that happening? Was it a purely Davies and Cripps call, was the board involved, is the board frustrated with the return etc etc etc

Do we have a situation where your source is being fed misinformation? Wouldn't shock me with this club, they always work the hardest to be insular and block out alternative opinions. You can't give us this info an expect us to not speculate about it, especially when it doesn't pay off.

Okay

We accepted massive unders to the point where we're only competing with the Bulldogs for the worst performing club in the trade period according to basically everyone who has an opinion on the matter.
We're not competing with the Bulldogs. They accepted massive unders on an uncontracted player rather than letting him leave for nothing. Unfortunate but it happens. We had a player contracted for three years. We were entirely in control of our own destiny, and inexplicably accepted massive unders anyway.

One things for sure his time with Port ended in a Bang Knocked Rankine rotten and that was the end .
I reckon his manager might have realised that he was worth more than we were paying him , although at the time it was about right . That along with his girlfriend and his own family ties looks like it became a perfect storm . Trouble was we.got bent over in the trade , we shouldā€™ve got overs and we ended up with unders .

GaOlwiubUAUZ97I

"whole year" interesting
Mmmm

The only explanation for holding a Royal flush in your hand but deciding to fold is that they wanted someone at 13 that they werenā€™t prepared to let slip. Thatā€™s so risky though- that canā€™t be the reason we folded.

We had Lukosius sealed for our F1 in a seperate deal- that wasnā€™t the reason we folded.
Richards will be good, but even if we lost him by not doing the deal-so what-that wasnā€™t the reason we folded.
Atkins- is no more than a salary dump with no benefit to us- thatā€™s not the reason we folded.
Pressure from the player and manager- this debacle happened in the same trade period Richmond got far greater value for a far lesser player- all we had to do was tell Dan and Connors that Houston is a better player than Rioli and we want the same deal or better- thatā€™s not the reason we folded.

We folded because we shat the bed. We panicked. I am well known as a club apologist on this site but in this instance, those responsible should be replaced. Not good enough.

The idea that we had a top 20 player in thr comp, back to back AA, with 8 clubs to choose from, and the only one hard ruled out offering two good firsts... yet not one of those other clubs wanted to part with an offer better than pick 13 is farcical.

It would be like if Nick Daicos declared he wanted to come to SA but the Crows were only willing to offer pick 15 and we sit on our hands.

Its collusion by Collingwood saboteurs. Plain and simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few Dan musings.

Carlton and Michael Voss clearly didn't rate him or have rated the draft over him. Surprising.

I think one of Dan's first comments was how he is going to be proud to wear the black and white and that was a pretty obvious dig at us.

I hope that Paul Connors owes us a trading favour.

Super weird looking dude but unique in his own way. The type of face that could help you win the Archibald.

He looks a million dollars especially with ball in hand but his man can get free, reasonably often.

Dan will help Collingwood a lot but they really need De Goey to get out of cruise control and give a toss again.

If Melbourne don't implode, we are happy.

The draft guys know their stuff so they better pick the eyes out of the first three picks or even better the first four picks.

The idea that we had a top 20 player in thr comp, back to back AA, with 8 clubs to choose from, and the only one hard ruled out offering two good firsts... yet not one of those other clubs wanted to part with an offer better than pick 13 is farcical.

It would be like if Nick Daicos declared he wanted to come to SA but the Crows were only willing to offer pick 15 and we sit on our hands.

Its collusion by Collingwood saboteurs. Plain and simple.

Top 20 in the comp and a direct comparison to Nick Daicos, you're laying on the mayonnaise a bit thick there.

Showing his true colours. I found it very interesting the clubs Instagram post farewelling him was only shared by less than a handful of players.
Not to mention his own instagram farewell post which was all of 3 sentences - one of which was about him being super-pumped to be a collingwood player now.

Not to mention his own instagram farewell post which was all of 3 sentences - one of which was about him being super-pumped to be a collingwood player now.
Couldn't care less about Dan. My club however is a sh*t show with an embarrassingly poor performance at the trade table. Again heads should roll but don't. Pathetic pissant boys club with no accountability or ruthless drive for the ultimate success.

Heā€™s not just a half back flanker, he has the best foot skills in the AFL his vision his poise he will leave a massive hole in that side. One of the few A graders in that side that needs to be strengthened to make a GF. Sinn or Burton? talk about chocolates to boiled lollies.
Foot skills are over rated. Work hardery for longery is where itā€™s at.

Top 20 in the comp and a direct comparison to Nick Daicos, you're laying on the mayonnaise a bit thick there.
As much as people don't wanna face it HBF's are not the most coveted players even if he is the best one in the comp, you couldn't even get Vossy to put enough pressure on for Carlton to make a serious play & he has history with Dan.

I'm becoming happier and happier to see the back of this guy. Hopefully whoever we choose with the draft pick we got becomes a good player for us. And who knows, whoever we play at half back next year might actually know how to defend and be willing to put his body on the line for the team.

As far as I now know, apart from Melbourne, no other club had 2 first round draft picks to offer us for Dan. The ones interested in him anyway. Seems all clubs, including us wanted to be in this draft & holding on to picks. We could have held him to his contract, but na. Heā€™s now 28 with 30 coming around fast . Heā€™d wanna keep himself in really good nick to keep going. Apart from a good kick, he really wasnā€™t anything we canā€™t replace. Farrell, Burton & even Sinn are good kicks so thereā€™s that. Weā€™ve got a pretty good hand now in this years draft. Time to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back