News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm becoming happier and happier to see the back of this guy. Hopefully whoever we choose with the draft pick we got becomes a good player for us. And who knows, whoever we play at half back next year might actually know how to defend and be willing to put his body on the line for the team.

Logan Evas is certainly putting in a great audition to fill the role.

Could genuinely be anything

This feels like it's getting towards Janus territory. Using Occam's razor, it seems far more likely that the club is just a bunch of pissweak cucks, and we took over and copped it because CD is trying to get to Collingwood anyway.

If the draft is amazing, why did we trade out our first last year to get duds like soldo and ratagolea?

Our strategy has constantly been to try and fill missing pieces of Kenny's puzzle, ignoring that Kenny doesn't have the mental capabilities for a game for tic tac toe, let alone completing a jigsaw.
Yep, maybe they are just poor when dealing with tough negotiators during trade week.

It is well known that we advocate for players going back when they want so it is much easier for opposition teams to use that as leverage.

IIRC, it happened last year with Essendon and the Zerk deal where wanted a 2nd or something coming back and they said, we ain't got it, here's a 4th, enjoy.

It shows that when we hold all the cards and we were holding a lot of cards that the nice guy way pretty much neutralises any advantage we have and we get smashed in trades, usually by the Big Vic teams.

And I don't really know how Ratkins fits in.

He’s a loss but that’s tempered by Logan Evans and Sinn. Logan was a real surprise packet. Looks like an accomplished afl footballer with more improvement to come. Sinn, late in the season, started to live up to Port’s high expectations when we drafted him
The jury will be out on Sinn until he shows some durability there were some positives with actual performance.

Knowing our luck he'll have a Shaun Burgoyne at Hawthorn like career.

We got unders but ask yourself if you'd pay 2 first rounders for a half back flanker.. I reckon this board would melt if we did.

If they're elite, like Houston, then yes. The point has already been made that although halfback has a pretty low skill floor by AFL position standards, there is a high skill ceiling and the elite halfbacks can be very damaging.

There are plenty of halfbacks over the last decade or so or so who i'd consider to be an absolute bargain at what Collingwood paid for Houston and would have no issue paying 2 first round picks for, especially in the modern era where a "first round pick" ends up being a pick in the low 20s.

Houston, Luke Ryan, Lachie Whitfield, Yeo, Hurn, Heath Shaw, Hodge, Enright.

We just hope now that Lukosius, Richards and the player we get at pick 29 all have excellent careers with us. I don’t think of pick 13 as part of the Houston trade (although I realise technically it was), because we’ve basically just swapped it with our 2025 1R.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I'm stating the obvious but the Houston deal may still be a win for us if we nail the selections we get for picks 13 and 29. Given the quality of players available in that range in this year's draft, I'm more optimistic than disappointed with his loss. Houston's elite kicking is irreplaceable but the spread of talent in our team may be stonger overall with his departure.

We just hope now that Lukosius, Richards and the player we get at pick 29 all have excellent careers with us. I don’t think of pick 13 as part of the Houston trade (although I realise technically it was), because we’ve basically just swapped it with our 2025 1R.

Substitute Lukosius for 13 and that makes a lot more sense becaus Luko was essentially traded for Port's future 1st.

Substitute Lukosius for 13 and that makes a lot more sense becaus Luko was essentially traded for Port's future 1st.
Yeah, but I’m not convinced that should have been Lukosius’ value on exposed form, especially as we may finish bottom 10 in 2025.

I’m happy to accept pick 13 in a stronger draft is a nil-all draw with our 2025 1R.

That then leaves us to weigh the value of 29, Lukosius and Richards against Houston’s loss more easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back