Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

No way. Port wouldn’t have put a week into negotiating a 3 way trade if that were the case.

Trade will go through with some tweaks no doubt.

I'm not so sure... As soon as North Melbourne start getting involved, Port suddenly pulls out of what's been negotiated. You don't find that a little strange?

I'm not saying this is the only reason, but... North comes a long and says we'll offer similar or better to Collingwood, Port could have a little hidden reason involved of not wanting to improve one of their main rivals.

Aren't sure if the 2 first in 4 years rule is still going on but if so Port cant trade their first round pick until they bring in another first since their last first rounder was Sinn in 2021. I think this is why deal has become 3 way.

Still in place Port would get an exemption though as one trade was JHF which would count as a first rounder. Port shouldn’t be giving any first rounder though that’s what doesn’t make any sense. Luco is worth maybe an early second maybe but Houston is worth two first rounders

I'm not so sure... As soon as North Melbourne start getting involved, Port suddenly pulls out of what's been negotiated. You don't find that a little strange?

I'm not saying this is the only reason, but... North comes a long and says we'll offer similar or better to Collingwood, Port could have a little hidden reason involved of not wanting to improve one of their main rivals.
I don’t think Houston’s wants North, Port can’t just unilaterally decide that’s where he’s going.

won a premiership 12 months ago. you must not watch much Footy if you don't think Collingwood is a premiership threat in 2025. Essentially the same team that won the 2023 Premiership. Ruined by injuries in 2024. Port knows Collingwood is a flag threat.. it's just people like yourself that think because we finished 9th 2024 that we are some sort of basket case bottom 8 side.

Of the 3 teams that want Houston, (Collingwood, Carlton, North), Collingwood are the highest chance to win the flag. It's obvious Port doesn't want one of the main contenders to improve.
Big Pies fan? Love the overrating of your team there. Don’t care though not going to argue about it.

The Pies don’t even have a chance at this point. As I said, you don’t even have a 1st this year, so what else do Collingwood have? You don’t have anything good to offer. IMO, it’s either North or he stays.

Pies could also not promise something to a player without the assets. Most reasonable people would say at a minimum Houston is worth two solid first rounders. Richards is worth something in the 60’s he’s useless to the main value.

Big Pies fan? Love the overrating of your team there. Don’t care though not going to argue about it.

The Pies don’t even have a chance at this point. As I said, you don’t even have a 1st this year, so what else do Collingwood have? You don’t have anything good to offer. IMO, it’s either North or he stays.

Yep it’s Carl or North or Houston can grow a pair and honour his contract which from all reports are he’s fine in doing that. Carlton’s 12&14 would be the minimum and they would have to be flat straight with nothing going back still feel it’s unders. Could Carlton take a late swing if they get pick 3 for the swap with wCE?

The proposed deal saw the Pies and the Suns make out like bandits at Port’s expense.

There is no way they could have agreed to what the Pies and Suns put to them today.
Agree. Feel bad for Port here.

Not much the Pies can do as we’ve already put everything of value we have on the table.

Feel like Gold Coast are doing very well getting two firsts and a couple of salary cap dumps out of it. Theyre throwing picks around like confetti for mediocre players like Rioli but have gone in more hard nosed on the three way trade. Luko isn’t worth a first round pick IMO.

Yep it’s Carl or North or Houston can grow a pair and honour his contract which from all reports are he’s fine in doing that. Carlton’s 12&14 would be the minimum and they would have to be flat straight with nothing going back still feel it’s unders. Could Carlton take a late swing if they get pick 3 for the swap with wCE?
I think the Blues are pretty serious about the draft, and they’re out of the race for Houston.

I’d love to take a chance on that North Melbourne future first, or even if they split 2 and make something happen there.

That is understood - the default has always been that if a club Dan wants to to go can’t offer fair value in a trade, he can return to Port to see out his contract.
Yeah that’s fair enough. Though why would Port spend a week negotiating a 3-way deal knowing full well what the Pies had to deal?

Given we’ve already put everything we have on the table, I suspect they’re holding out for GC to add a sweetener (who along with us, are also doing very well out of the trade)

Here's a mega trade idea. Bit of fun. Not too bad I think.

Collingwood - get their man
IN: Houston, #51
OUT: Noble, Richards, #36, F1

Port Adelaide - WC F1 is suited for a player of Houston's calibre
IN: Lukosius, Richards, #19, WC F1
OUT: Houston, F1

Gold Coast - Possibly owed something more, but it's not terrible
IN: Noble, Rioli, #22, Haw F1
OUT: Lukosius, #6, #13, #29

Sydney - upgrade both drafts
IN: #13, Rich F2
OUT: #19, #22, F2

Richmond - Draft capital to use or trade
IN: #6, #29, #36, Port F1, Haw F2
OUT: Rioli, Baker, #51, F2

Hawthorn - get their man, still have F1 & 2 x F2
IN: Barass, Syd F2
OUT: F1, F2 (either Carl or Haw)

West Coast - downgrade F1 to get their man
IN: Baker, Coll F1
OUT: F1

I think the Blues are pretty serious about the draft, and they’re out of the race for Houston.

I’d love to take a chance on that North Melbourne future first, or even if they split 2 and make something happen there.

Yep North seems the only option to get back home for him. Port aren’t accepting heinous unders for an AA contracted player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a mega trade idea. Bit of fun. Not too bad I think.

Collingwood - get their man
IN: Houston, #51
OUT: Noble, Richards, #36, F1

Port Adelaide - WC F1 is suited for a player of Houston's calibre
IN: Lukosius, Richards, #19, WC F1
OUT: Houston, F1

Gold Coast - Possibly owed something more, but it's not terrible
IN: Noble, Rioli, #22, Haw F1
OUT: Lukosius, #6, #13, #29

Sydney - upgrade both drafts
IN: #13, Rich F2
OUT: #19, #22, F2

Richmond - Draft capital to use or trade
IN: #6, #29, #36, Port F1, Haw F2
OUT: Rioli, Baker, #51, F2

Hawthorn - get their man, still have F1 & 2 x F2
IN: Barass, Syd F2
OUT: F1, F2 (either Carl or Haw)

West Coast - downgrade F1 to get their man
IN: Baker, Coll F1
OUT: F1

Pies are making out like bandits again it’s nowhere near enough for Houston not even close.

Pies are making out like bandits again it’s nowhere near enough for Houston not even close.

It's all the Pies have to trade. Can't move our F2, but could swap F3 for an F4.

Houston scenario is #19, West Coast F1 (#3 or #4 maybe?), with the Richards steak knives (3 year contract offered).
Luko for F1 seems to be widely accepted, or is that not the case?

Overall I don't think it's that bad compared to what has been bandied around here.

WDYT Port fans?

It's all the Pies have to trade. Can't move our F2, but could swap F3 for an F4.

Houston scenario is #19, West Coast F1 (#3 or #4 maybe?), with the Richards steak knives (3 year contract offered).

Overall I don't think it's that bad compared to what has been bandied around here.

WDYT Port fans?
I still can't understand why anyone thinks Rioli is worth more than Houston.

WDYT Port fans?

If Rioli is worth more it’s not enough sorry it’s not. If the market says Rioli is worth pick 6 plus change then that’s the starting point. I love Rioli but there shouldn’t be lengths between the values. Port will rightly say give us a guaranteed top 10 pick plus another first if you don’t have it how is that Port’s fault you are the ones trying to trade in a contracted AA player. Forget Richards he’s the who cares pick 60 plus steaknives. Port should just trade with GC for Luko and be done.

The one that might unlock it might be a younger player the Pies have that Port really like. Just not sure who Port would want.

I still can't understand why anyone thinks Rioli is worth more than Houston.

I agree. Houston is easily better but coaches and list managers use what they have.
But GC aren't vying for Houston, so giving them #6 doesn't benefit them with Rioli being their marquee off-season man.

I agree. Houston is easily better but coaches and list managers use what they have.
But GC aren't vying for Houston, so giving them #6 doesn't benefit them with Rioli being their marquee off-season man.

Then offer something better the first place should be asking Port what younger players they are interested in. You have to give something to get something. Could a player like Ed Allen (for example) be one Port like? I don’t know. The value given to Port HAS to be equal at worst to what Rioli gets. He’s had more AA seasons and has longer left in the game, bear in mind Zorko is still elite at 35 years old it’s a position you can prolong your career.

The Houston is long term contracted bit seems to be forgotten for many of the deals being bandied around.

Not just contracted he’s contracted long term. The offer has to be comparable at worst if not better than Rioli. That’s a starting point

If Rioli is worth more it’s not enough sorry it’s not. If the market says Rioli is worth pick 6 plus change then that’s the starting point. I love Rioli but there shouldn’t be lengths between the values. Port will rightly say give us a guaranteed top 10 pick plus another first if you don’t have it how is that Port’s fault you are the ones trying to trade in a contracted AA player. Forget Richards he’s the who cares pick 60 plus steaknives. Port should just trade with GC for Luko and be done.

The one that might unlock it might be a younger player the Pies have that Port really like. Just not sure who Port would want.

Then offer something better the first place should be asking Port what younger players they are interested in. You have to give something to get something. Could a player like Ed Allen (for example) be one Port like? I don’t know. The value given to Port HAS to be equal at worst to what Rioli gets. He’s had more AA seasons and has longer left in the game, bear in mind Zorko is still elite at 35 years old it’s a position you can prolong your career.

Lachie Weller was traded for #2. So does every player better than Weller deserve #1?

Sometimes you pay overs, sometimes you get unders, sometimes you get the rub. Trading is not just about a players market value, but also timing, trade requests, contracted/uncontracted, other club pick numbers etc.

Port would be better off keeping Houston and holding him to his contract and see what next year's trade offers are, though he will be 29yo by May 2026, possibly lessening his value. He's not guaranteed to get to 35yo like Zorko.

Collingwood aren't using anything near what they have. If they want to recruit a contracted Dan Houston, then they need to do what Hawthorn did in 2018 when looking to recuit Chad Wingard. Find a player that is actually worth something and trade them out for more picks or convince them to go to Port.

Lachie Weller was traded for #2. So does every player better than Weller deserve #1?

Sometimes you pay overs, sometimes you get unders, sometimes you get the rub. Trading is not just about a players market value, but also timing, trade requests, contracted/uncontracted, other club pick numbers etc.

Port would be better off keeping Houston and holding him to his contract and see what next year's trade offers are, though he will be 29yo by May 2026, possibly lessening his value.

You don’t accept huge unders for a contracted player who is a two time All Australian. That’s just not good business at all. The value has to be the same as Rioli anything less and sport are negligent and blindly brainless in dealing. There has to be someone on your list to make the difference I don’t buy the “it’s all we have”. You have taken first rounders maybe one of them has to go in this deal to broker it, Ed Allen might be one. It’s up to the Pies to come up to Ports asking price

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back