Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers trades team before the deadline
View attachment 2139564
And after View attachment 2139567
Gold Coast in an AFL Final…

Episode 5 Wind GIF by The Simpsons

Pick 6 to the tigers will happen just a matter of who folds first and will obviously be a last minute deal for theatrical purposes lol, we have to pay overs due to Rioli's contract which is fair enough but it's the tigers asking for 6+13 first then 6+23 that's ridiculous, it almost tops Collingwood asking Humphries for Noble.
Of course we’re making stupid demands.

You blokes have tapped up a player we don’t want to lose.

You’d be irresponsible if you didn’t ask for the earth when you don’t want to actually lose him.

Some funny comments here. I enjoyed it.

For me, it will be interesting to see how long the standoff will go on. Everybody knows that pick 6 is fantastic overs and Tigers would not leave it on the table. Do they want to drag it to the last hour and look greedy for a chance Suns will add something? They certainly have a right to do it. Asking originally for 6 + 13, Tigers looked a bit like Leppitsch now.

As for Suns. They do operate in different environment, conditions especially in the last 5 years with enormous picks and free pre-listing concessions (basically equivalent of 10 1st/2nd round picks). Most people ignore it in their narratives and basically concluding Suns are idiots. Interestingly, most these people worked with other clubs, including Vic clubs like Evans, Campbell, Cameron, Dimma.

As for concessions, Suns got way too many picks. Even Suns said that. There is limit to how many top talents you can bring in without cap bursting and limiting playing opportunities. Basically, a vicious cycle, with some top young players ultimately leaving for the benefits of other clubs.

Another aspect recently is that academy finally started producing after barren 12 years (after increase in financing). If I remember correctly, there is crazy number of kids involved in academy from 12 years old onwards. Something like 800 kids per year. Ultimately competition will benefit from it (likely next year there will be some overflow already).

Tigers rejoice this year about potentially 5 first round picks and rightly so. Guess what, Suns drafted 4 academy first round picks last year plus I would add also Clohesy. All look like a real deal and best 22 in not-too-distant future. And that is while Suns are not going through proper re-build like Tigers and are aiming for finals.

So yes, some Suns decisions look crazy from outside and some turned out bad one (like Eagles trade), but context is important. Only Suns are/were in this unique situation. Too many picks, list loaded with talent, retention pressure on cap. I say, using pick 7 and a role player Bowes (not in Suns best 22) on salary dump to relieve cap pressure, why not? Obviously, no other team would do it, but other teams do operate in completely different environment, every pick is precious for them. Look at Suns list. Would Clark play if Suns drafted him? It would be another wasted pick like Hollands.

This year, using pick 6 on a contracted mature player while still bringing one top talent (Lombard) and ending up with probably 3 F1 next year (with another min 2 academy kids in 1st round)? Yes, please. Suns need to play finals. Rioli and Noble should help. They are under contract, so Suns have to pay overs (crazy to some people). Suns will get overs for pick 13 similar to last year for pick 4. Bloody hell, last year by milking the system, Suns converted pick 4 to I believe 6 first round picks (if I remember correctly).

Suns are expansion team still needing financial assistance, like it or not (like a lot of teams in AFL). Suns operated until now in different environment compared to rest of competition.

I believe, if Suns finally play finals they will be in a good spot regarding retention, destination place similar to Lions. Also, by playing finals teams will not be able to ask for pick 6. Talking about Cats. Here is pick 17 for Smith, we got nothing else.

Believe it or not footy is growing in QLD and especially on Gold Coast, SE. It's a smart investment from AFL. I actually blame AFL for most Suns issues. They do run Suns. Forcing Suns to stay first 8 years in metal sheds under first time admin, coach while constantly underfunded was a shocking incompetence. I could go on.

Despite not playing finals, Suns had 4 sold out games with great atmosphere. Compare that to GWS who are a top team.

Now it's up to Dimma. Just do your job.

Looking good Suns :p

Last edited:

Some funny comments here. I enjoyed it.

For me, it will be interesting to see how long the standoff will go. Everybody knows that pick 6 is fantastic overs and Tigers would not leave it on the table. Do they want to drag it to the last hour and look greedy for a chance Suns will add something? They certainly have a right to do it. Asking originally for 6 + 13, Tigers looked a bit like Leppitsch now.

As for Suns. They do operate in different environment, conditions especially in the last 5 years with enormous picks and free pre-listing concessions (basically equivalent of 10 1st/2nd round picks). Most people ignore it in their narratives and basically concluding Suns are idiots. Interestingly, most these people worked with other clubs, including Vic clubs like Evans, Campbell, Cameron, Dimma.

As for concessions, Suns got way too many picks. Even Suns said that. There is limit to how many top talents you can bring in without cap bursting and limiting playing opportunities. Basically, a vicious cycle, with some top young players ultimately leaving for the benefits of other clubs.

Another aspect recently is that academy finally started producing after barren 12 years (after increase in financing). If I remember correctly, there is crazy number of kids involved in academy from 12 years old onwards. Something like 800 kids per year. Ultimately competition will benefit from it (likely next year there will be some overflow already).

Tigers rejoice this year about potentially 5 first round picks and rightly so. Guess what, Suns drafted 4 academy first round picks last year plus I would add also Clohesy. All look like a real deal and best 22 in not-too-distant future. And that is while Suns are not going through proper re-build like Tigers and are aiming for finals.

So yes, some Suns decisions look crazy from outside and some turned out bad one (like Eagles trade), but context is important. Only Suns are/were in this unique situation. Too many picks, list loaded with talent, retention pressure on cap. I say, using pick 7 and a role player Bowes (not in Suns best 22) on salary dump to relieve cap pressure, why not? Obviously, no other team would do it, but other teams do operate in completely different environment, every pick is precious for them. Look at Suns list. Would Clark play if Suns drafted him? It would be another wasted pick like Hollands.

This year, using pick 6 on a contracted mature player while still bringing one top talent (Lombard) and ending up with probably 3 F1 next year (with another min 2 academy kids in 1st round)? Yes, please. Suns need to play finals. Rioli and Noble should help. They are under contract, so Suns have to pay overs (crazy to some people). Suns will get overs for pick 13 similar to last year for pick 4. Bloody hell, last year by milking the system, Suns converted pick 4 to I believe 6 first round picks (if I remember correctly).

Suns are expansion team still needing financial assistance, like it or not (like a lot of teams in AFL). Suns operated until now in different environment compared to rest of competition.

I believe, if Suns finally play finals they will be in a good spot regarding retention, destination place similar to Lions. Also, by playing finals teams will not be able to ask for pick 6. Talking about Cats. Here is pick 17 for Smith, we got nothing else.

Believe it or not footy is growing in QLD and especially on Gold Coast, SE. It's a smart investment from AFL. I actually blame AFL for most Suns issues. They do run Suns. Forcing Suns to stay first 8 years in metal sheds under first time admin, coach while constantly underfunded was a shocking incompetence. I could go on.

Despite not playing finals, Suns had 4 sold out games with great atmosphere. Compare that to GWS who are a top team.

Now it's up to Dimma. Just do your job.

Looking good Suns :p
Dont worry about ever one else they are just delouse
Sun getting their man and points for next years kids is all that matters

Monday is Happy Rioli day

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back