Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoy overpaying, or not having Barrass :)

Corner you backed yourselves into by being greedy.

Christ glass houses much.

Whilst Barrass would be great to bolster the defence, its cream on an already well functioning backline.

I doubt supporters would be too miffed either way to be honest. Not a knock against Barrass as he’s quality, more it feels like a luxury buy in addition to Battle.

That being said, every ITK and media pundit says the deal will get done, so I guess we will just see on price.

One side will be slandered as greedy and the other side will be slandered as being fleeced. Who becomes which will no doubt give Trade Radio endless content and no doubt give both sides some dumb c+ score for the trade period.

But for the love of god, if you blokes give up pick 3 for Baker and a pick in the teens, you need a good ole fashioned pitchfork sharpening for Clarke - that is a shocking trade.

Barrass played every game in 2020

You brought up Barrass inability to play a complete season, then bring up Lewis as your very next example LOL

The fact you have to keep bringing up things that may or may not happen, and talking up potential, means youve lost. Barrass right now is in your top few players.
Barrass played every game in a shortened season, with shorter quarters.

He hasn’t played over 19 games in a season.

18 - 2024
14 - 2023
19 - 2022
16 - 2021

Relevance ^

18 - 2020
14 - 2019
19 - 2018 (and Eagles won be flag)

My very next example? I said they are in a similar both that they both are unable to stay on the park consistently. Lewis has had two years in the last 3 of 15 games, similar to Barrass. With 2024 being a really down year with an ACL.

Taking 2024 out of it due to a freak incident.

Lewis has played 14-15-15 (44)
Barrass has played 14-19-16 (49)

I mentioned Lewis will be reaching his prime and doesn’t have a serious injury that will trouble him for the rest of his life like Barrass does.

I mentioned Lewis in 2022-23 had two season where he plays all the games and gets to 50+ goals, which is top quality, during the same period, Barrass was performing as a top quality defender.

19 games
15 disposals
4 rebounds
8 intercepts
7.6 marks
3.8 intercept marks
1.6 contested marks
34% DLP

AND

14 games
13 disposals
3 rebounds
7 intercepts
7 marks
3 intercept marks
1.8 contested marks
28% DLP

Lewis

15 games
37 goals
11 disposals
5 marks
1.5 contested marks
2.5 goals per game (6th Coleman avg)
0.5 goal assists
6 score involvements

15 games
36 goals
13 disposals
6 marks
1.3 contested marks
2.4 goals per game (8th Coleman avg)
0.7 goal assists
6.4 score involvements

On track for
53 goals 2023
54 goals 2022

Equal 6th 2022 Coleman
Equal 7th 2023 Coleman

He also played injured during games in 2023 noticeably.

However going back to your point, no. 2024 is different to 2025.

We don’t know what will happen in 2025, except the noticeable facts, Barrass is getting older, he isn’t going to improve his ability as a whole, he has a serious back problem, and despite being a very good KPD his best is likely behind him.

Comparing him to other players who either generally or relative to their position, will likely be better or already are better, are entirely relevant to this conversation. 2025 is another pre season and as by my statement the end of 2025 is an entire season from currently, Barrass will also be 30.

Now to get back to him, he is good, everyone knows this, you don’t offer a first round pick otherwise. He’s a top level KPD, who will do what Hawthorn want, and his ability to take the big forward and be able to intercept effectively whilst likely meshing well with the types in Hawthorns defense currently, make him an attractive prospect. His other cons which have been discussed, are taken into account for an accurate pricing for his worth open market wise. Seems as if Eagles fans are ignoring this.

A first, and second for Barrass and a third is pretty fair, and at worst removing the third slightly tips into the favour of West Coast, considering his contracted.

Barrass' injuries dont affect his ability to play footy. He was elite this year, played as good as he ever has
Come on. Be for real.

He has a serious back injury that could paralyse him, don’t need to try bluff it.

He is a gun but he wasn’t elite either this year, good yes, hence the offering of a first and some more.

Come on. Be for real.

He has a serious back injury that could paralyse him, don’t need to try bluff it.

He is a gun but he wasn’t elite either this year, good yes, hence the offering of a first and some more.
He can play just fine. It causes him some pain, and if he gets tunnelled badly like he did and lands the wrong way yes he could be forced to medically retire, but his ability to perform is unimpeded, as we saw this year

Christ glass houses much.

Whilst Barrass would be great to bolster the defence, its cream on an already well functioning backline.

I doubt supporters would be too miffed either way to be honest. Not a knock against Barrass as he’s quality, more it feels like a luxury buy in addition to Battle.

That being said, every ITK and media pundit says the deal will get done, so I guess we will just see on price.

One side will be slandered as greedy and the other side will be slandered as being fleeced. Who becomes which will no doubt give Trade Radio endless content and no doubt give both sides some dumb c+ score for the trade period.

But for the love of god, if you blokes give up pick 3 for Baker and a pick in the teens, you need a good ole fashioned pitchfork sharpening for Clarke - that is a shocking trade.

If I had to guess right now, this is how I think it gets done.

Eagles give 3 & Barrass, get Baker, F1, 12 + 24
Richmond give Baker & 24, get 14 & F2 (Carlton)
Hawks give F1, F2, F2, get Barrass (maybe a late pick swap)

MM should restart talks with Matty Clarke on a clean slate, maybe he has got that Men in Black Pen handy to use.

offer 33+ Blues F2 and for all we know, it could get accepted. But if it gets knocked back, come back Wednesday morning with the secret weapon - DGB.

That should clinch the deal.

Give it up mate, you have no idea of the assets each team has and can be put in play. Go back to dreaming of 2 F1's

Barrass played every game in a shortened season, with shorter quarters.

He hasn’t played over 19 games in a season.

18 - 2024
14 - 2023
19 - 2022
16 - 2021

Relevance ^

18 - 2020
14 - 2019
19 - 2018 (and Eagles won be flag)

My very next example? I said they are in a similar both that they both are unable to stay on the park consistently. Lewis has had two years in the last 3 of 15 games, similar to Barrass. With 2024 being a really down year with an ACL.

Taking 2024 out of it due to a freak incident.

Lewis has played 14-15-15 (44)
Barrass has played 14-19-16 (49)

I mentioned Lewis will be reaching his prime and doesn’t have a serious injury that will trouble him for the rest of his life like Barrass does.

I mentioned Lewis in 2022-23 had two season where he plays all the games and gets to 50+ goals, which is top quality, during the same period, Barrass was performing as a top quality defender.

19 games
15 disposals
4 rebounds
8 intercepts
7.6 marks
3.8 intercept marks
1.6 contested marks
34% DLP

AND

14 games
13 disposals
3 rebounds
7 intercepts
7 marks
3 intercept marks
1.8 contested marks
28% DLP

Lewis

15 games
37 goals
11 disposals
5 marks
1.5 contested marks
2.5 goals per game (6th Coleman avg)
0.5 goal assists
6 score involvements

15 games
36 goals
13 disposals
6 marks
1.3 contested marks
2.4 goals per game (8th Coleman avg)
0.7 goal assists
6.4 score involvements

On track for
53 goals 2023
54 goals 2022

Equal 6th 2022 Coleman
Equal 7th 2023 Coleman

He also played injured during games in 2023 noticeably.

However going back to your point, no. 2024 is different to 2025.

We don’t know what will happen in 2025, except the noticeable facts, Barrass is getting older, he isn’t going to improve his ability as a whole, he has a serious back problem, and despite being a very good KPD his best is likely behind him.

Comparing him to other players who either generally or relative to their position, will likely be better or already are better, are entirely relevant to this conversation. 2025 is another pre season and as by my statement the end of 2025 is an entire season from currently, Barrass will also be 30.

Now to get back to him, he is good, everyone knows this, you don’t offer a first round pick otherwise. He’s a top level KPD, who will do what Hawthorn want, and his ability to take the big forward and be able to intercept effectively whilst likely meshing well with the types in Hawthorns defense currently, make him an attractive prospect. His other cons which have been discussed, are taken into account for an accurate pricing for his worth open market wise. Seems as if Eagles fans are ignoring this.

A first, and second for Barrass and a third is pretty fair, and at worst removing the third slightly tips into the favour of West Coast, considering his contracted.
Arguing Lewis is on kilter with Barrass, CURRENTLY, is one of the dumbest things I think I've ever seen.

He can play just fine. It causes him some pain, and if he gets tunnelled badly like he did and lands the wrong way yes he could be forced to medically retire, but his ability to perform is unimpeded, as we saw this year
As someone with a back issue myself (not the same) it definitely causes him issues. He said so himself, to suggest otherwise shows a genuine lack of knowledge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arguing Lewis is on kilter with Barrass, CURRENTLY, is one of the dumbest things I think I've ever seen.
Read your own comments. Quite an easy fix.

Stats say so, anyone who watches both during the periods would see so, etc

Lewis v the Eagles 2023
24 disposals
6 goals 8 shots
11 score inv
8 marks 3 contested

On who is to become your number one key defender with Barrass gone and first hand experience on how good he is.

Are you arguing Frawley is better than Barrass?
The point has entirely gone over your head. Just because someone is better at one thing doesn’t make them better overall.

Frawley was a great lockdown defender but couldn’t do anything else, even won an AA doing so. Something Barrass hasn’t despite being a better skilled and higher ability player.

It’ll be a future first and second for the third rounder and Barrass, maybe a F3 instead, maybe a F4 or just flat F1 and F2. Depends on the Eagles negotiations, it’ll be centred around that with other swaps.

Read your own comments. Quite an easy fix.

Stats say so, anyone who watches both during the periods would see so, etc

Lewis v the Eagles 2023
24 disposals
6 goals 8 shots
11 score inv
8 marks 3 contested

On who is to become your number one key defender with Barrass gone and first hand experience on how good he is.
You are not seriously saying a cooked Lewis who can't get on the field is currently better than Barrass man. Like no one in Aus can be that level of stupid.

It’ll be a future first and second for the third rounder and Barrass, maybe a F3 instead, maybe a F4 or just flat F1 and F2. Depends on the Eagles negotiations, it’ll be centred around that with other swaps.
More likely to be flat 2 future firsts for Barrass, or 1 future 1st, 2 future seconds with a 3rd coming back.

Why would we accept F1, F2 for Barrass + F3 when we rejected 14 + 2 for Barrass and 3, like can you explain your logic?

The point has entirely gone over your head. Just because someone is better at one thing doesn’t make them better overall.

Frawley was a great lockdown defender but couldn’t do anything else, even won an AA doing so. Something Barrass hasn’t despite being a better skilled and higher ability player.
And the point clearly went half a mile over your head, Frawley shouldn't be in the conversation as you noted, if you want to compare and elite player of one position to another, go right ahead, your example is akin to me saying, well Liam Ryan is a better forward than Bont, so we should straight swap em.

You are not seriously saying a cooked Lewis who can't get on the field is currently better than Barrass man. Like no one in Aus can be that level of stupid.
“A cooked Lewis”

Barrass isn’t?

Barrass is older.

Games played 2021-23
16-19-14 - (49/66)
14-15-15 - (44/66)

Similar.

Performance relative to position and whilst being able to get on the park? Similar.

Not saying Lewis is definitely better but I’m saying they’ve been similar (22/23) for example and Lewis will have growth whereas Barrass doesn’t, considering age etc

More likely to be flat 2 future firsts for Barrass, or 1 future 1st, 2 future seconds with a 3rd coming back.

Why would we accept F1, F2 for Barrass + F3 when we rejected 14 + 2 for Barrass and 3, like can you explain your logic?
No chance two future firsts are included.

It’ll be a future first and future second and this will be the centre of it, whether it’s this straight or with a 3rd/4th coming back with Barrass is the question.

The offer currently sits at F1, F2 for Barrass and F3. I’d presume F3 goes to a 4th this year as the next offer, or a future fourth, and or a flat future first and second.

And the point clearly went half a mile over your head, Frawley shouldn't be in the conversation as you noted, if you want to compare and elite player of one position to another, go right ahead, your example is akin to me saying, well Liam Ryan is a better forward than Bont, so we should straight swap em.
Your point was that Barrass is a better KPD making him a better player which is false, being good or better than someone else at one thing doesn’t ignore the rest especially when it’s a mammoth difference. Frawley isn’t better than Sicily but is a better defender, he also has an AA that Barrass doesn’t, speaking factually. Which again, is apart of why I’m saying it’s dumb to think Barrass is better than Sicily, no chance.

Your point was that Barrass is a better KPD making him a better player which is false, being good or better than someone else at one thing doesn’t ignore the rest especially when it’s a mammoth difference. Frawley isn’t better than Sicily but is a better defender, he also has an AA that Barrass doesn’t, speaking factually. Which again, is apart of why I’m saying it’s dumb to think Barrass is better than Sicily, no chance.
I actually said all things being equal Sicily may be better, but a KPP is more important than a 3rd tall/rebounding defender.

Barrass is much more valuable, hence the thought experiment, which you were not able to think your way through.

No chance two future firsts are included.

It’ll be a future first and future second and this will be the centre of it, whether it’s this straight or with a 3rd/4th coming back with Barrass is the question.

The offer currently sits at F1, F2 for Barrass and F3. I’d presume F3 goes to a 4th this year as the next offer, or a future fourth, and or a flat future first and second.
That's definitely not the current offer as we flat out rejected 14 + F2 with 3 coming back kiddo.

I actually said all things being equal Sicily may be better, but a KPP is more important than a 3rd tall/rebounding defender.

Barrass is much more valuable, hence the thought experiment, which you were not able to think your way through.
Sicily isn’t just a third tall or rebounding defender and has played as a KPD.

Hence his value not being just “a loose defender”.

No he is not, and I was :)

Sicilys 2023 defensive loss % was 15.4 and 17.6 in 2024

Barrass last two seasons
34.4 % - 2024
28.3 % - 2023

21.7 % - 2019
24.4 % - 2018

His best seasons.

Their offensive game is not close in Sicilys favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back