Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

GC want future picks and want to trade out current picks. The need some picks in the 30-45 range for bid matching and that's it. They also want Luko out and Noble in.
They do only because of academy bidding.

They could trade out 13+23 and get 2 future 1st and a future 2nd.

Trade in noble + f3 for 29 and trade out luko +f2 for a F1 and end up with noble and 3 f1s instead of 2

Would Port fans do Houston for 13,23, Richards?

No, Richards is valueless at the trade table, a 4th rounder sort of value. He's a 25yo 9 gamer who is out of contract.

13 and 23 aren't enough for Houston. Not when he's the one of the best halfbacks in the comp with 3 years on his deal. I'd want 2 picks that add up to less than 30 to be the starting point.

Keeping Houston is great as well. No need to be railroaded into a trade we don't win.

Would love Collingwood to give up Noble, F1 to get 13. Then we reject 13, Richards and steak knifes.
But we will just rollover and Collingwood know it, so let’s get the Prison Bar rights thrown in too the deal!😂

AFL have told Port they can trade F1 without another 1st coming back in.. Best case scenario for Port i think is they get pick 13, 23 & Richards for Houston which seems unders.. Port fans do you expect Chris "better than fair" Davies to come out and shut the trade down or will this position soften?

AFL have told Port they can trade F1 without another 1st coming back in.. Best case scenario for Port i think is they get pick 13, 23 & Richards for Houston which seems unders.. Port fans do you expect Chris "better than fair" Davies to come out and shut the trade down or will this position soften?
Thats a surprise.

I was tipping the AFL to not allow Port to trade the F1…. Because AFL reasons.

Fair enough you just answered my question.. i can't get my head around why you'd take unders here when he's contracted for 3 years and open to coming back to the club
Yeah the way things are trending I don’t think we are going to receive fair value with him trading with Collingwood. So I would love for him to stay, but just have a feeling we will settle. Hope I’m wrong.

I generally consider BigFooty pretty switched on with the intricacies of footy, but I'm shocked at how many posters seem to misunderstand the affect the academies have on the draft.

The northern states operate on a different economy to the other 14 clubs. The difference between a pick in the first round and a pick 29 does not mean the same thing to Collingwood as it does to the Suns. When they have talent coming through, the club's with academies aren't trying to get as high up the draft as possible, in fact, they are at an advantage to move down the draft and accumulate points value picks as high picks get swallowed up by academy bids. They are incentivised to pay overs and use high picks on established players.

That's why you get the Suns giving up potentially pick 6 for Rioli or a late first for Noble, who normally would not be worth that.

The math in these deals not:

In: Noble, F1
Out: Pick 13, Pick 29

It's:

In: Noble, F1, Top 10 Academy Pick
Out: Pick 13, 29, bunch of late picks

Vs.

In: Top 10 Academy Pick
Out: Pick 13

They are turning 29 and a bunch of late picks into a F1 and Noble, because 13 is gone regardless.

They do only because of academy bidding.

They could trade out 13+23 and get 2 future 1st and a future 2nd.

Trade in noble + f3 for 29 and trade out luko +f2 for a F1 and end up with noble and 3 f1s instead of 2
They could do those trades or close to them but they want the players who have nominated them more and they are all in contract. Hence why they are dealing with Collingwood first.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's unders.

Rioli is fetching pick 6 and more.

13, 23 and Richards is absolutely enough. However with him being open to a return I wouldn’t be as surprised to see a hard ball approach.
I wouldn't be surprised if he is less open than he says to a return and he is just saying that publicly to help Port negotiate a deal, and if they fail he really has no option but to return.

No, Richards is valueless at the trade table, a 4th rounder sort of value. He's a 25yo 9 gamer who is out of contract.

13 and 23 aren't enough for Houston. Not when he's the one of the best halfbacks in the comp with 3 years on his deal. I'd want 2 picks that add up to less than 30 to be the starting point.

Keeping Houston is great as well. No need to be railroaded into a trade we don't win.
There is no point trading Richards unless we get something decent in return. We have a contract in place for him and he would prefer that to taking his chances in the draft. We might even match Port's offer if they don't play fair. Even if he doesnt accept our offer he wouldn't get through to Port's pick in the draft anyway imo. A 4th or even a low 3rd wouldn't get the trade done. Port need to bring something to the table for him.

I generally consider BigFooty pretty switched on with the intricacies of footy, but I'm shocked at how many posters seem to misunderstand the affect the academies have on the draft.

The northern states operate on a different economy to the other 14 clubs. The difference between a pick in the first round and a pick 29 does not mean the same thing to Collingwood as it does to the Suns. When they have talent coming through, the club's with academies aren't trying to get as high up the draft as possible, in fact, they are at an advantage to move down the draft and accumulate points value picks as high picks get swallowed up by academy bids. They are incentivised to pay overs and use high picks on established players.

That's why you get the Suns giving up potentially pick 6 for Rioli or a late first for Noble, who normally would not be worth that.

It's:

Vs.

They are turning 29 and a bunch of late picks into a F1 and Noble, because 13 is gone regardless.

That's the wrong mindset. It's not whether 13 is 'gone' but what else can you trade it for that's better than the proposed deal and should they even do these deals in the first place.

That's the wrong mindset. It's not whether 13 is 'gone' but what else can you trade it for that's better than the proposed deal and should they even do these deals in the first place.
They want players more than picks. Yes they could get much more if they traded picks for future picks. But they won't put in jeopardy the deals for those incontract players.

It's:

Vs.

spot on. the system is a farce, designed to prop up the northern clubs for the sake of the TV deal. And it works (to that extent)

100% if there is a better player out there who wants to play on the Gold Coast go for it, but how many players are nominating the Gold Coast? Easy to say trade pick 13 for a player who is worth 13, but if they aren't available are Gold Coast meant to just burn that pick on an academy player??

My main point is posters claiming the Northern states are paying overs in picks for established players seem to be missing the bigger picture.

There is no point trading Richards unless we get something decent in return. We have a contract in place for him and he would prefer that to taking his chances in the draft. We might even match Port's offer if they don't play fair. Even if he doesnt accept our offer he wouldn't get through to Port's pick in the draft anyway imo. A 4th or even a low 3rd wouldn't get the trade done. Port need to bring something to the table for him.
Oh well.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back