Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Future first could easily be pick 12+
Just not enough I don't think. With his contract, Port should be saying the price is two first rounders, at least one of those being around pick 10.
I rate Houston as a player but there is no chance any club is paying two firsts for him as a 28 year old , especially if one is around the pick ten range that alone should be enough the best port could push for is to swap there third rounder for a second in the deal

Multi years on his contract, fresh off his second AA means they can walk away from any club not willing to cough up.
Yes port can play hardball but how often do clubs force players to stay that openly state they don’t want to be there !a deal will get done eventually port will get decent compensation maybe a little bit less than they would like a first and second rounder probably. Houston is a good player but not somebody a club is going pay whatever it takes to get a deal done there will be a limit and clubs will walk away, port won’t risk being stuck with a player that doesn’t want to be there and the instability it would cause

He turned 27 4 months ago..
I'm interested to see how it's played out. Said elsewhere a lot of the trade power on these is the intent of the seller. As has been said, it seems like savy list management to let him go so are Port going to play hardball over him?

Would have thought Cartlons 11 with a 2nd somewhere is perfect but they seem to want to have their cake and eat it

Yes port can play hardball but how often do clubs force players to stay that openly state they don’t want to be there !a deal will get done eventually port will get decent compensation maybe a little bit less than they would like a first and second rounder probably. Houston is a good player but not somebody a club is going pay whatever it takes to get a deal done there will be a limit and clubs will walk away, port won’t risk being stuck with a player that doesn’t want to be there and the instability it would cause
Yea this isn't how it always works I'm not saying it has to be two first rounders, but if a suitor can't satisfy Port and/or work a situation that helps Port land another trade they have in mind they'll walk away from it.

Houston is better than "good" by the way the typical talking down from interstate is nauseating, Dual AA with probably the best leg in the comp.

Yea this isn't how it always works I'm not saying it has to be two first rounders, but if a suitor can't satisfy Port and/or work a situation that helps Port land another trade they have in mind they'll walk away from it.

Houston is better than "good" by the way the typical talking down from interstate is nauseating, Dual AA with probably the best leg in the comp.
Papley wanted to come 'home' a few years ago, and Sydney stared him down.

It happens.

Port are fully entitled to stand their ground and demand what they think is an acceptable price
He wants to come home , Well there are many suiters and St Kilda is really the perfect fit as they have the assets and want to get the deal done. " If its about coming to melbourne"

Dan showed his hand when he pulled out of the trade with the Dees: he wants to get home but not ant any cost.

He won't go to a Club he doesn't want to play for and Port won't accept an offer from a tyre kicker who can't put a top 10 pick on the table.
That's totally fair. If I was port I'd want nothing less than a top 10 pick. So 2 late first rounders. But I just think only a team who is genuine contention would pay that. And that's really only Brisbane, Sydney, GWS, Geelong and maybe Hawks. Borderline Carlton.

Credit where its due, port last night got the job done with the season on the line against a side with top drawer small forwards without even 1 of their regular half backs available. Burgoyne played a cracker and looks a window to tge future for them across half back. I have swung around to thinking they should offload houston for what picks they can get as he is at best trade value now
Completely agree. Logan Evans also proving an absolute steal in the mid-season draft, wonder what the knock on him was to not get drafted at all last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Houston as a player but there is no chance any club is paying two firsts for him as a 28 year old , especially if one is around the pick ten range that alone should be enough the best port could push for is to swap there third rounder for a second in the deal

Well Adelaide coughed up 2x first round picks for 28 year old Bryce Gibbs.. a zero time All Australian :$

Twomey on Gettable is suggesting that if Freo don't get Bolton and Baker, they are willing to entertain an offer for 9 with North's F1. That gets the Dockers into the box seat for Warner.

Then North can take pick 9 to Port for Houston.
9 won’t get it done by itself and I don’t reckon adding your pick 22 is enough either. Reckon you’d need to add a third party to somehow trade 22 up to around 15 to get it done.

9 won’t get it done by itself and I don’t reckon adding your pick 22 is enough either. Reckon you’d need to add a third party to somehow trade 22 up to around 15 to get it done.
It comes down to Port's willingness to let Houston go to Victoria, Port's enthusiasm for getting into the 2024 draft, and of course DH's openness to join a rebuilding outfit.

It would be a fair trade if he was OOC imo, and I doubt you'll get much more than pick 9 from any other suitor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back