Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Power won't be knocking it back despite them "saying" they want this year's pick, it would be Houston. He clearly want to play for a club in premiership contention which is why he knock back the Saints and picked Melbourne when they looked good before shit hit the fan and now Carlton.
Yep agree, our name had been brought up a few times that’s why it’s subject matter.

Almost impossible to recruit quality when you’re at the bottom regardless of what we pay.

And why would North want him given his age profile?
We just have to start winning games, our age profile is our biggest issue.

Players over 27 are Aidan Corr, Luke McDonald, Darcy Tucker. That’s it, that’s our senior group.

Bringing in Houston at 28 would make the world of difference to our group over the next 4 years.

We just keep losing and it ruins the players belief and development.

At this point we just gotta start winning, more draft picks won’t fix the problem.

Players over 27 are Aidan Corr, Luke McDonald, Darcy Tucker. That’s it, that’s our senior group.

Bringing in Houston at 28 would make the world of difference to our group over the next 4 years.

At this point we just gotta start winning, more draft picks won’t fix the problem.

100%.

Send us pick 2, you'd only make a mess out of it. You can't be trusted with anymore draft picks.

Future 1st as well.

In all seriousness if Port knocked back a future first from us for Houston they are insane.
Probably a 50% chance to be pick 1 next year
There's no way this happened. Norths future 1st is start the car territory. Guaranteed to 5 pick and most likely number 2 at worst. And even if houston didn't want to move, I'm sure port paying a bit extra $$ could sway him. But again, no way this happened. Like the gibbs trade, trading in old players for this amount of draft capital is very risky. I don't think it's ever paid off.

Eventually a club will be stubborn and say Nth or nothing for example.

Its bound to happen, clubs need to get tougher with contracted players.

Oh you little (old) Darling
Port Power as you constantly call Port may not want to deal with the North Kangaroos but rather the Carlton Blues. What are your thoughts on that Camry Crows supporter?
It is Dan's choice where player mangers do not name a team unless they believe a trade can happen.
He would rather stay in SA than move to a bottom team where next year he can have another look around.

Eventually a club will be stubborn and say Nth or nothing for example.

Its bound to happen, clubs need to get tougher with contracted players.

It won’t happen because of the players association. They fight for players rights and they wouldn’t allow it. There’d be massive backlash. The potential for restraint of trade and a court case. One day it will happen and it will be a watershed moment for the game because when that happens it will be a huge test case.

I agree that players have too much power and things need to change though. Mind you, clubs do abuse situations when they have too much power. Look at how the Pies signed on Treloar and Grundy to huge deals and then wanted them gone as soon as it was impacting their cap and other dealings. It goes both ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port can say North or nothing as he's got multiple years on a contract, we generally deal though so if say Carlton come up with first rounder and help Port get other deals done we'll probably roll over.

On the first point... ("It comes down to Port's willingness to let Houston go to Victoria") does anyone actually know whether something's transpired that means he needs to be living near his Victorian family next year? (eg health of a family member, etc)

Or is it a case of "I kinda miss catching up with my family every second weekend, so I'd like to move near them to make that happen"?

Feel like Port - most clubs - would respond differently, for a senior player, depending what end of that spectrum the situation lies.
I think you’re right but also that flexibility only goes so far the deal still needs to meet a need for the club

What happen if Port Power don't increase his salary to what he want as reported by Kane Cornes and then see them bring in Perryman on 7 years at $850K??? He might be forced to.
As a Camry Crows fan you seem very focused on a trade involving a port player to a Victorian club

Do the Camry Crows not have much trade news going on?

Port can say North or nothing as he's got multiple years on a contract, we generally deal though so if say Carlton come up with first rounder and help Port get other deals done we'll probably roll over.
His manager won't try to force a trade with a club who has no draft picks. You guys will just reject it and say stay.
But I doubt he wants to join north which means I reckon he probably stays. I doubt anyone else will have enough to offer.

His manager won't try to force a trade with a club who has no draft picks. You guys will just reject it and say stay.
But I doubt he wants to join north which means I reckon he probably stays. I doubt anyone else will have enough to offer.
We do have this look at the trade period as a whole type approach though & when players want out we generally deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back