Dangerfield in International rules series

Remove this Banner Ad

Have managed to find a way to watch the match, enjoyed the first half so far (Australia is up 21-16).

Dangerfield is not really doing much though. He's playing in defence and only has a handfull of touches, and has given away a couple of frees. The game really doesn't suit him - for example, of the rules appears to be that you can't pick up the ball from on your knees, which completely destroys Dangerfield's signature dive on the ball and extract is play :eek: He did give a beautiful forward handball at one point but that's about the extent of his highlights.

Edit: For some reason he spent almost all of the third quarter off the ground. Came on for the last few minutes though.

Edit again: Patty up forward in the final quarter, he spilt an uncontested mark but recovered to score an over :thumbsu:

An interesting Irish view of the games history and future

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-international-rules-2391744.html
Martin Breheny: International rules

AT the age of 26, it's time for the International Rules series to prove that it's a mature adult. Either that, or admit that because of its troubled background it will always have personality defects, in which case the best policy is to rescue it from public attention. In other words, scrap it. If it's to have a genuine future there's got to be an end to the cycle of rows and mayhem followed by reconciliation and harmony. Neither works. The chaos of the early days and the shocking violence of 2005/06 brought disgrace on both the GAA and the AFL.

It was accompanied by widespread hypocrisy too for while there was unanimous public condemnation, many people secretly enjoyed the bust-ups........

Certainly, it must leave the hell-raising days in the past, but it can't become boring either. Ultimately, the future of the series relies on the public -- both in Ireland and Australia -- believing that the mixed game is sufficiently entertaining to coax them out to watch it. That can only be achieved if the sparks which inevitably apply in an international physical contact game are allowed to fly.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-international-rules-2391744.html

Post game reporting Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1025/1224281953051.html

Tourists show flair for hybrid game

GAELIC GAMES: THE MADLY fluctuating existence of International Rules continued on Saturday night in the Gaelic Grounds. From scandalising children and their infirm relatives with its violence when the physicality of the game gets out of hand to lowering the heart rate dangerously when it’s well-behaved, the hybrid game finds it hard to get the balance right.

The weekend was definitely at the latter end of the scale, as Ireland delivered one of their least distinguished performances and an accomplished Australian team threatened to kill off the series until a late, desperate run of scores cut the deficit to seven, 40-47, going into the second Test in Croke Park in five days.

A slightly disappointing crowd of 30,117 – a little short of the first Test attendance in Galway four years ago but some way short of the Limerick venue’s capacity – had little to intrigue them beyond the appearance in the final interval of four people in big, papier-mache heads who the stadium announcer repeatedly insisted were U2.

Not alone were the Australians apparently more comfortable with the round ball, but they even looked less troubled by the slippery surface. The ability to set up attacks and take scores put Ireland under constant pressure. Their captain, Adam Goodes, twice the AFL player of the year, gave the stand-out display.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1025/1224281953051.html

I must admit after watching the game, I think they should scrap it. Both teams repeatedly kept getting caught out by rules the players did not understand. The skill levels from both sides were ordinary to say the least. Too often it looked like the players were running around like headless chooks.

Scoring always appeared to come out of nowhere and if by chance. Often making you wonder why the player did not do that the last time they were in that exact position.

Finally not at one point did I feel any nationalistic pride nor any emotional attachment to the result of the game.

I am interested to hear if other people enjoyed it because to me it felt like a joke.

I must admit after watching the game, I think they should scrap it. Both teams repeatedly kept getting caught out by rules the players did not understand. The skill levels from both sides were ordinary to say the least. Too often it looked like the players were running around like headless chooks.

Scoring always appeared to come out of nowhere and if by chance. Often making you wonder why the player did not do that the last time they were in that exact position.

Finally not at one point did I feel any nationalistic pride nor any emotional attachment to the result of the game.

I am interested to hear if other people enjoyed it because to me it felt like a joke.

To be fair, most of the rules they got caught out by weren't exactly complicated rules. You can't handball the ball five times in a row, surely that's not hard to deal with? The umpire yells out the number of times it's been handballed every time one is dished off. Amazingly, in one passage of play the Australians handballed it five times, giving the Irish a free kick, only for the Irish to immediately go and handball it five times themselves. Nobody to play but themselves there.

However, I agree on the scoring issue. Sometimes a player just booted an over and in a game with a relatively low final score (by AFL standards) with 3 points on the line for every over, I don't know why they didn't go for them more often. For that matter, both sides seemed loathe to try to hit up a forward target on the lead, which seems like it could only be easier with the round ball than with the oval ball.

I did enjoy the game though, but I am starved for football at the moment so that may have something to do with it :eek:

I thought it was a game that lacked excitement. Hard to tell on the teev, but maybe the defensive tactics choked the game a bit making scoring for either side difficult. Every time a side went forward there seemed to be far more defenders than forwards around the place. The usual Irish run was lacking, but the quick tackling gave little chance for them to get going.
It's good that we can play against another country, but does the game have a future? I dunno.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i fell asleep during the later 3rd quarter when Australia started firing, then woke up late last quarter when Ireland were coming back. was quite boring overall.

what i remember of Dangerfield:
- caught out by rules at least twice when he gave away free kicks
- got kicked in the hand, because soccering the ball is more common for the Irish, and there's not really a kicking in danger rule (at least i don't think so).

i thought there were several tackles which were looked below the shoulders, but were called as too high.

it definately seemed the both sides, particularly the Aussies were trying to be on their best behaviour which ruined it as a spectacle for me, as they didnt seem to play with any passion.

Im not saying they needed to go out Chris Johnson style but there is nothing wrong with laying a solid bump or crunching tackle.

The Irish have ruined it with their whinging and whining when they aussies got a tad physical last time.

what i remember of Dangerfield:
- caught out by rules at least twice when he gave away free kicks
- got kicked in the hand, because soccering the ball is more common for the Irish, and there's not really a kicking in danger rule (at least i don't think so).

Dare I ask...but surely there's a...kicking danger rule??? :D:rolleyes:

The Irish killed off interest in the series when they wet their panties a couple of years back and had a massive sook.

Prior to that, it was a massive deal with great crowds, now, it's a joke.
I beg to differ. It has never been anything other than a joke. It was a joke long before the Aussies went the biff and it will continue to be a joke for as long as they choose to persevere with the farce.

I was at that Chris Johnson game.

Was awesome.

Don't think we'll see good times like that soon.
I doubt it. As I'm pretty sure if you get a suspension in the series, it applies to regular H&A games now (or the NAB cup, can't remember the exaxt ruling).

An interesting article bemoaning the skill drop in the Gaelic game....taken over by handball of all things. Complains that the Aussies better kicking skills in the Test was reflective of the poor kicking skills now endemic in the Irish game....doesn't sound that much different to the arguements on Big Footy over the years......

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gae...elic-footballs-core-skill-levels-2395872.html

When a group of Australian Rules players, who never use a round ball, are so much more at ease with their kicking than Gaelic footballers, it suggests there's something seriously wrong with our game. And there is.

Kicking skills have been sacrificed in a game dominated by handpassing. A player can go through an entire game without once kicking the ball in what is the ultimate corruption of the sport. It was embarrassing last Saturday to watch top players being well beaten in the art of kicking by opponents who use an oval ball back home. But then the Irish players aren't used to footpassing in their own game, so it was hardly surprising that they couldn't switch on to it in the mixed code.

We're repeatedly told that team preparation has never been more advanced, yet our top players can't come anywhere close to matching their Aussie opponents in the basic art of kicking. The problem stems from the manner in which the handpass has been allowed to become the primary ingredient in the Gaelic football mix. Why work on kicking skills when possession can be retained endlessly by handpassing which, as a spectacle, seriously detracts from the game?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gae...elic-footballs-core-skill-levels-2395872.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield in International rules series

Remove this Banner Ad

Back