Injury Daniel Menzel - 4th ruptured ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really stunned at that decision VEEDUBS, did you see it?

Anways, that's a different issue but it's so sad to see the game take this current soft turn in such a short period of time.

Anways, that's a different issue but it's so sad to see the game take this current soft turn in such a short period of time.
No.
Only read about the 1 week from Winty's post on p 18 iirc.
You are right about sad.
Last year was poor for me because my 3 favourites had shockers- Varcoe, Menzel, and Wojo. Menzel at his 2011 best was electrifying. In his very short stint so far he has left amazing memories. Hard to accept it is all over, and from the sounds of Menzel's communication, he hasn't called it quits.
All I can say is, where there's a will, there's a way.

Some silver lining - via Twitter, Menz has vowed to fight on and return to football. He'll be interviewed on Footy Classified, tonight at 9.50pm on Nine.
That's great news. I hope the young bloke comes back better than ever & that his recovery is quick and uncomplicated.

Radio SEN: .David Schwarz discusses his experiences with knee injuries, having undergone three knee reconstructions, in light of news that Daniel Menzel will need to undergo a fourth knee operation himself. Geelong Football Manager Neil Balme then confirms the news with Mark Allen, Ox and Dermott Brereton.​
[Click image for audio]
Daniel Menzel arriving for scans Monday morning.​

If anyone would like to write a letter or email to Dan and send him well wishes;

Attn: Dan Menzel
C/O Geelong Football Club
Po Box 461
Geelong VIC 3220

supporters@geelongcats.com.au

Send him a care package, send him a pic of you with 10 on your back, or just wish him well. Every ounce of support he gets will make a difference.

More than happy to keep a spot open for someone who, injury free, would most likely be in our top 5 ranked players right now.
Sorry, but that is a ridiculous statement. Averaged 1.5 goals and 12 touches a game in 21 games. Promising? Yes. Talented? Yes. As good as most Cats fans seem to hazily remember? No.

Regardless, I hope he does come back so we can see what he is capable of, but I wouldn't blame him if he gave it up at this point.

Sorry, but that is a ridiculous statement. Averaged 1.5 goals and 12 touches a game in 21 games. Promising? Yes. Talented? Yes. As good as most Cats fans seem to hazily remember? No.

Regardless, I hope he does come back so we can see what he is capable of, but I wouldn't blame him if he gave it up at this point.
Menzel was trialled in a number of positions in 2011.

Towards the end of 2011 I remember he played across half-back against Adelaide and most on BigFooty were calling for him to be dropped because he barely got a kick. Note this range of positions means it's pretty hard to read into his season average stats.

Prior to this at one stage he was playing as the second key forward alongside Podsiadly for much of the year. Remember Hawkins and Podsiadly only played together from the Brisbane game at the Gabba. I distinctly remember a few games at the MCG where Podsiadly would be off for a spell, and Menzel was the lone 'key' forward inside 50. A very tough position for anyone, never mind a 19-year-old skinny kid.

Once Hawkins came into the side alongside Podsiadly and Menzel was moved forward very late in the year as the third marking option, he looked very good. He kicked seven goals in the six quarters prior to his knee injury and looked extremely dangerous.

Either way, in 2011 he was the best player from the young brigade of Hunt, Duncan, Christensen and co.

if he does opt to make another comeback, can we make him either the boards sponsored, or maybe co-sponsored, player next year?
I don't think we would want to drop Varcoe.

And if we want a second one, we would need double the sponsors. It's pretty hard to fund one player as it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if we want a second one, we would need double the sponsors. It's pretty hard to fund one player as it is.

fair enough, thanks for the info - put me down for one menzel sponsorship if the idea is floated, and the other numbers are there.

I wouldn't have been surprised if Menzel didn't do his knee that the club would have appealed it. Staggering decision.

Like I said in the VFL thread, Pratt turned around, saw Menzel charging out from the goal square, and moved into his path to shepherd for his teammate taking the mark. What else was Menzel to do?

Don't know what to say. Gutted for the young guy.
I hope they can get to the root of his knee problems and do what they have to do fix it. Doesn't matter how long he needs - Take his time coming back this time.
Despite his retched run, you gotta love the kids attitude. A great inspirational person to have around the club - playing or not.

Menzel is the best young player Geelong has had for as long as I can remember.

Can we give his body a full robocop style rebuild?

I was thinking more along the line of the bad dude in Terminator 2. Even if he fell to bits, he could still be put back together again. :p

Is Dan a natural right footer?

I ask because his right knee went originally, now it seems fine. His left has gone 3 times now. Maybe his right knee/leg is stronger than the left.

I remember Gaz snr having trouble with his knees, but could play on because his leg muscles were so strong.

Very sad news, we where all looking forward to his return, feel gutted for the kid another long road ahead :(
It's so cruel.... It sounds as though he's mentally very strong, but geez, it just must be so hard to keep staying positive. All the best to him and glad to see your club and supporters so strongly behind him.

The first time Dan did his knee in the 2011 QF I shed a few tears and since then it's been exactly the same every time I hear the bad news. Life really is not fair. Maybe the club should consider giving Dan a new number and retiring the number 10. Tanner, Woolnough, Tenace. Enough already.

Well what can you say really ? Will be the first AFL footballer to have 4 recos.

It reminds me a bit of Lonners - who after the massive injury I thought would never play again - and yet GFC stayed with him and he was mentally tough enough to keep going on (both the same with Menzel) - and he ended up playing 100 AFL games and has won a Premiership medal. That was a truly great story. Just maybe the Menzel story could be anotehr one. Four recos, unheard of, and finally he comes good after years of serious injuries - to play well and win a Premiership medallion.

I really hope this is what happens for Daniel, for the club and for the supporters of the Cats. Would put a smile back on so many people - and that is what sport can be all about.

Would it not also depend on who currently sponsors him? I'm assuming they have 1st dibs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Daniel Menzel - 4th ruptured ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back