Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Except we are only potentially trading 3 or 4 players out of about 12 to 14 who are over 25 who will be on the list next year.

The ones over 25 who are left will be

Vlastuin
Nank
Balta
Taranto
Short
Broad
Prestia
Lynch
McIntosh

And we have another cohort between 22 and 24 who have played 40 to 70 games.

Hardly scorched earth compared to North who basically traded or force retired (as you say) all its good and seasoned players.

I'm not saying we won't be near on or the bottom for the next 2 or even 3 years. Maybe it might be even more. But there are enough bigger bodies, experience and leaders in the meantime to avoid the seemingly impending generational wipeout that North have forced on themselves over the past 5 or 6 seasons.

We also haven't ruled out poaching free agents over the next few years, something North have refused to do to date.
You won two games this season. You will only get younger next season. Nine players is nothing particularly when a couple are injury prone. Look at North in 2020 they still had the likes of Higgins, Goldy, Ziebell, Cunnigham, Mcdonald, Polec, Pittard, Atley, Tarrant, Hall, Brown. You guys look to be doing the same thing at this stage.

You won two games this season. You will only get younger next season. Nine players is nothing particularly when a couple are injury prone. Look at North in 2020 they still had the likes of Higgins, Goldy, Ziebell, Cunnigham, Mcdonald, Polec, Pittard, Atley, Tarrant, Hall, Brown. You guys look to be doing the same thing at this stage.

We also had the most injuries (players used) which was a contributing factor.

Even if at worst (by your interpretation) you make an arguement we are the same as north, it doesnt automatically mean we follow the same path. Look at Hawthorns recruiting. Also, our remaining seasoned players know how to win flags and can pass that knowledge ans experience on. Its a better culture of players than the north ones.

And we've got nothing to lose off the back of 3 flags!

Last edited:
It's not like we've got a choice. Decent contacted players worth good picks want out. We can force them to stay, get less picks and aim for the lofty heights of ninth, or bite the bullet and go for a turbo rebuild.

Even if at worst (by your interpretation) you make an arguement we are the same as north, it doesnt automatically mean we follow the same path. Look at Hawthorns recruiting. And we've got nothing to lose off the back of 3 flags!
Potentially anything is possible. The hawks are really interesting, they've been well coached and when they pushed out Mitchell and O'Meara the likes of Day and Newcombe stepped up from day one and have been playing like experienced players even though they are quite inexperienced gamewise. Which tends to be quite rare. They've also drafted very well and brought in under-valued players on the cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what Richmond are doing is a bad thing, I think its a good time to start rebuilding with Tassie coming in but they need to be very careful.

Potentially anything is possible. The hawks are really interesting, they've been well coached and when they pushed out Mitchell and O'Meara the likes of Day and Newcombe stepped up from day one and have been playing like experienced players even though they are quite inexperienced gamewise. Which tends to be quite rare. They've also drafted very well and brought in under-valued players on the cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what Richmond are doing is a bad thing, I think its a good time to start rebuilding with Tassie coming in but they need to be very careful.
So does every team at every stage.

Nobody remembers who comes second. If you aren't first, you are last. Gotta take your chances.

How did they do that is going to be a common phrase used after the trade period end with the way these trades work out

Rioli will go to the suns with 50% salary paid next 3 years - Picks #7 & 14 going to Richmond and #29 +#41 going back

Bolton will get done for a clean sweep of #11 +#12 +#27 with 50% salary paid 2 years

Graham gets to Eagles for a band 3 compo #22

Baker + #11 gets to the eagles for #3

And all teams will be extremely happy with the result

Last edited:
I may be way off but I just don't think at his age, and the fact he has never been an AA should Rioli be commanding anywhere near pick 6.

It's not Rioli wanting pick 6 it's the club. You must remember he is a 3 time premiership player was a Round 1 pick when drafted and will win the Tigers B&F this year. Add to that he is contracted for 3 more years he is worth picks 6 & 13.

Except we are only potentially trading 3 or 4 players out of about 12 to 14 who are over 25 who will be on the list next year.

Off the top of my head the ones over 25 who are left will be

Vlastuin
Nank
Balta
Taranto
Short
Broad
Prestia
Lynch
McIntosh

And we have another cohort between 21 and 24 who have played 40 to 70 games.

Hardly scorched earth compared to North who basically traded or force retired (as you say) all its good and seasoned players.

I'm not saying we won't be near on or the bottom for the next 2 or even 3 years. Maybe it might be even more. But there are enough bigger bodies, experience and leaders in the meantime (on every line) to best avoid a long term wipeout that North have forced on themselves over the past 5 or 6 seasons and counting.

We also haven't ruled out poaching free agents over the next few years, something North have refused to do to date.

In any event, we have seen 3 flags in 4 years so if we did face an extended period on or near the bottom l, we can cry into our 3 flags
'I'm not saying we won't be near on or the bottom for the next 2 or even 3 years."

Lol.

A lot of us remember the years 1982 to 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did they do that is going to be a common phrase used after the trade period end with the way these trades work out

Rioli will go to the suns with 50% salary paid next 3 years - Picks #7 & 14 going to Richmond and #29 +#41 going back

Bolton will get done for a clean sweep of #11 +#12 +#27 with 50% salary paid 2 years

This is some of the most delusional shit I've ever read on BigFooty.

It's not Rioli wanting pick 6 it's the club. You must remember he is a 3 time premiership player was a Round 1 pick when drafted and will win the Tigers B&F this year. Add to that he is contracted for 3 more years he is worth picks 6 & 13.
Being the best player at Richmond this year is a bit like being the hottest woman in Mount Isa.

It’s two firsts or he’s not going. Pretty simple. He’s contracted and he won’t kick up a stink if made to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love when supporters start commenting like they are in the room or have any say in the decision. Keep living the dream

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sun's and Eagles should hate those ideas.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Being a 3 time premiership player means nothing though. It doesn't make him a better player, nor does what round he was drafted.

Well that's a HUGE factor.
The second bolded is just beyond stupid.

Methinks you should stay off the sauce.

Well that's a HUGE factor.
The second bolded is just beyond stupid.

If it was a straight trade I agree he isn't worth 2 x 1st round picks but he is still contracted to the Tigers for 3 more years.
The Tigers are under No obligation to let him go especially if they are not getting a decent deal in return. The club comes first not the player or the team he wants to be traded to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back