Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

If it was a straight trade I agree he isn't worth 2 x 1st round picks but he is still contracted to the Tigers for 3 more years.
The Tigers are under No obligation to let him go especially if they are not getting a decent deal in return. The club comes first not the player or the team he wants to be traded to.
This is what people here are failing to grasp. It’s not about riolis or boltons perceived value on the open market and the clubs coming up with a fair deal for all. They have both long contracts with Richmond, they want to move to suns and freo but it’s up to those clubs to offer Richmond a good enough deal for them to let them both be traded. There is going to be nothing “fair” in these deals. Both will be paying overs.

How many years did he have left on his contract?

He was contracted for the following season at the time of the trade.

It was his second contract at the time with Hawthorn; undoubtedly, the story of wanting to play with his brother and Clarkson had a lot to do with how little Hawthorn received.

Some massive overrating of Riolis value going on in here.

Luke Jackson went to Freo for Pick 13 + a future 1st & future 2nd round pick just 2 years ago and he is a spud.

True but he is a good player and the Suns don't value draft picks like other clubs do. They have a list full of top 10 picks and an academy that is pumping out high draft prospects.

Also adding to this the Suns are the AFL's baby and they have been around for 14 years without playing finals. They poached the most successful coach of the last decade and need experienced players who know what it takes to play and win finals footy. They currently have 0 players that have even played in a final so I think poaching a gun player in Rioli with 3 years to run on his current contract with the Tigers and coughing up 2 x 1st round picks is a BARGAIN.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also adding to this the Suns are the AFL's baby and they have been around for 14 years without playing finals. They poached the most successful coach of the last decade and need experienced players who know what it takes to play and win finals footy. They currently have 0 players that have even played in a final so I think poaching a gun player in Rioli with 3 years to run on his current contract with the Tigers and coughing up 2 x 1st round picks is a BARGAIN.

I don't think they'll be doing that.

I don't think they'll be doing that.

Gold Coast have 3 x 1st Rounders 6,13 & 20. All the media are saying it will get done with 13 & 20 while the supporters including me want 6 & 13 so only time will tell.

Gold Coast have 3 x 1st Rounders 6,13 & 20. All the media are saying it will get done with 13 & 20 while the supporters including me want 6 & 13 so only time will tell.

Oh I didn't know they had three FR.

Pick 6 on its own

13+20

6+13 with something going back

That would be my estimate, but I don't have any investment in this.

Oh I didn't know they had three FR.

Pick 6 on its own

13+20

6+13 with something going back

That would be my estimate, but I don't have any investment in this.

Another thing to think about is how much are GC offering Rioli?
If it's say 5 years at $800k per year then that shows what they think he is worth surely!!!

Fans naturally all want the best deal they can get in every deal scenario, clubs tend to think a little more big picture, trying to bend over another club and preventing a player that wants to leave from going impacts your reputation ongoing with clubs and players.

A deal will get done and it’s likely both Suns and Tigers fans will feel a bit hard done by

Luke Jackson went to Freo for Pick 13 + a future 1st & future 2nd round pick just 2 years ago and he is a spud.
Rioli is no way similar to Luke Jackson though.

A 1st rounder (pick 13) should be plenty for Rioli, but if the Suns want to pay crazy overs, then so be it.

Poached....🤣🤣🤣🤣

This is what people here are failing to grasp. It’s not about riolis or boltons perceived value on the open market and the clubs coming up with a fair deal for all. They have both long contracts with Richmond, they want to move to suns and freo but it’s up to those clubs to offer Richmond a good enough deal for them to let them both be traded. There is going to be nothing “fair” in these deals. Both will be paying overs.

So what youre saying is rioli wont be traded thos year then.

Some massive overrating of Riolis value going on in here.
Not really over rating Rioli as such but the circumstances and how it occurs

Rioli was extremely happy at Richmond and said as much prior to going up to the gold coast earlier in the year and playing great football.

Things changed when he met Hardwick on the gold coast and we all know what happened and Dimma see's Rioli as an integral part of his plans for GC

Uncontracted Rioli is worth a pick 10-15
Contracted for 3 more years that becomes pick #7 and thats the pick GC have if they had 10 it would be 10 but its #7

Now with GC salary cap issue and if they want 50% salary paid then thats another issue altogether
We have all seen what GC are happy to pay to get $350k-$400k off their books and it was pick #7 just last year

So thats where the over paying comes into the trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back