Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really over rating Rioli as such but the circumstances and how it occurs

Rioli was extremely happy at Richmond and said as much prior to going up to the gold coast earlier in the year and playing great football.

Things changed when he met Hardwick on the gold coast and we all know what happened and Dimma see's Rioli as an integral part of his plans for GC

Uncontracted Rioli is worth a pick 10-15
Contracted for 3 more years that becomes pick #7 and thats the pick GC have if they had 10 it would be 10 but its #7

Now with GC salary cap issue and if they want 50% salary paid then thats another issue altogether
We have all seen what GC are happy to pay to get $350k-$400k off their books and it was pick #7 just last year

So thats where the over paying comes into the trade

Not sure why you think uncontracted Rioli is worth a pick 10-15 range. He is an okay player but has he even been in the AA squad, much less the AA team?

Not sure why you think uncontracted Rioli is worth a pick 10-15 range. He is an okay player but has he even been in the AA squad, much less the AA team?
Shai Bolton, Tom Lynch and Daniel Rioli have been named in the 2022 All Australian squad.

He will also win our B & F this year

Did you 'Think' They would trade Bowes to Geelong with a pick #7 in his back pocket ?
That trade was an outright disgrace and in no way reminiscent of normal trading practices, hardly applicable in this case

That trade was an outright disgrace and in no way reminiscent of normal trading practices, hardly applicable in this case
So you dont believe suns will require Richmond to pay any of Rioli's salary
He would be on $750k a year at the tigers and i would doubt he is going up there without an increase

The fact you would be thrilled with that result shows Rioli is not worth pick 7.
You are correct, these contracted players should and will net us overs due to circumstances, not just based on their perceived player value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the deal ends up including all of 6, 13, and 20, with other picks going back to GC after the Lombard bid on draft night.

I haven't worked out a specific deal (and it's probably pointless at this stage due to picks still moving), but for example, say we get 14 from Brisbane, we could keep 13 and 20, but trade 14 and 21 to GC for something after the bid comes for Lombard. This lets GC still take three first round picks without any getting eaten by the bid.

I reckon the deal ends up including all of 6, 13, and 20, with other picks going back to GC after the Lombard bid on draft night.

I haven't worked out a specific deal (and it's probably pointless at this stage due to picks still moving), but for example, say we get 14 from Brisbane, we could keep 13 and 20, but trade 14 and 21 to GC for something after the bid comes for Lombard. This lets GC still take three first round picks without any getting eaten by the bid.
Sorry I don’t get this trade. We give up Rioli, 14, 21 and some later picks to Brisbane for 6, 13, 20?

Am I missing something here?

Suns know they have to pay overs for Rioli to get it done or he stays. Take it to the bank it will be 6 and another 1st rd pick.

No chance.
It will be 6 (even that alone is too much) but theres no chance they will be adding a 2nd round 1.
If thats richmonds demand they will enjoy having rioli play at richmond next year (which is fine).

There's no incentive for the Suns to part with 6 but I think Richmond could get all of 13, 20 and 26 for Rioli, 39, 41 and 47. Still values Rioli at pick 7 (well overs FWIW) but you get better picks to package up for other trades than what you currently have. 26 + 29 to Brisbane for 14 would leave you with 1, 13, 14, 20 and 21 before you even deal with Bolton, Baker and Graham.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back