Oppo Camp David Swallow staying North until at least the end of 2024, AFTER WHICH he becomes (?) a NMFC player

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nev absolutely wanted Joel at pick 3. Visited the family, couldn't believe this kid could explain the North gameplan (no jokes please) compared the kids who could barely name who the captain was and thought he'd lead an AFL club one day.

The comment I remember was something like "I drove back to Melbourne settled on our pick".

It was the medicos who overruled him.

Fwiw Nev gets a very poor wrap in these parts. Besides usually having late picks due to team success, he worked with 2 coaches who had no reservations about butchering our picks for short term gains.

I'd say a bloke who drafted Boomer, Simpson, King, Pickett, Mooney, Petrie, Firrito, Swallow, Goldstein, Thomas, Thompson etc etc was no mug.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he comes cheap both market value and salary wise (we wouldn't have to "sell the farm" in a trade after multiple injuries), I would not hesitate to get him on our list.

Alright David, let's stop playing hard ball..it's time to come home.
Don't care if from WA

Nev absolutely wanted Joel at pick 3. Visited the family, couldn't believe this kid could explain the North gameplan (no jokes please) compared the kids who could barely name who the captain was and thought he'd lead an AFL club one day.

The comment I remember was something like "I drove back to Melbourne settled on our pick".

It was the medicos who overruled him.

Fwiw Nev gets a very poor wrap in these parts. Besides usually having late picks due to team success, he worked with 2 coaches who had no reservations about butchering our picks for short term gains.

I'd say a bloke who drafted Boomer, Simpson, King, Pickett, Mooney, Petrie, Firrito, Swallow, Goldstein, Thomas, Thompson etc etc was no mug.

Interesting take on it and one I probably had a differing opinion on until actually thinking about it some more (regarding Stibbards record).

There certainly has been some diamonds plucked from mid-late picks.

So why did he get the arse then? Lewis has been very good and it's early days, but this draft may be his best yet considering how ordinary it was supposed to be.

The drafts from 2000 - 2002 were particularly hurtful though, whichever way you look at it.

We had good picks and only got Petrie out of it really.

Interesting take on it and one I probably had a differing opinion on until actually thinking about it some more (regarding Stibbards record).

So why did he get the arse then? Lewis has been very good and it's early days, but this draft may be his best yet considering how ordinary it was supposed to be.

The drafts from 2000 - 2002 were particularly hurtful though, whichever way you look at it.

2003 - 2005 weren't really any better. Traded away good picks and didn't hit with later picks. Incredible record since though, apart from McKenzie (perhaps) we haven't missed a first rounder, and have pulled multiple players from each draft.

And Wells.

I think 2000 was actually quite a good draft. Urban myth was that Pagan pushed for Dylan Smith as a Bell replacement, not sure re that one.

Taking him out of it - Motlop, Harris, Petrie, Rocca, Pratt, Jones, Harding, Morrell, Teague.

At a guess he drafted 9 blokes across the ND and rookie drafts that all played minimum 50 AFL games each. That's actually a great effort.

2001 was a balls up though Hale proved a slow burn. Unfortunately not for us.

2002 is hard to judge. The kids were all well rated at the time and Laidley referred back to that draft in particular wondering if it was bad recruiting or our absolutely appalling development program of the time that explained the amount of failure from that one.

I'd pick 2003 though as the grand daddy of all draft failures for us. Basically noone from that draft ever did anything of note for us bar Sansbury providing a few Cooney memes.

So why did he get the arse then?

As I recall, it was because he didn't play nice in a team environment. He was a one-man band. He didn't particularly excel with technology. He was from a different era when it was all about gut-feel and it was acceptable to make a few blunders. I think recruiting and talent spotting is not about individuals these days. It is about a whole team and it is a lot more accountable .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back