Draft Watcher Davo-27's 2018 AFL Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say this is the most flawed list I have seen. There are some absolute howlers in here.

Lukosius at 5 is laughable as is Hately at 18. Chayce Jones way too low as well. He's a better footballer than B Scott who is way too high. Aaron Nietschke is was too high as well. He is no certainty to go in the main draft at all. That is just for starters.

Shame on you Davo you've stuffed it.
While it's on the record that I don't always agree with Davo... :p

It's still an opinion. I don't think it's "the most flawed list" on here, I certainly agree with all your points, but it's probably a little harsh when he's at least put out a list. You could always do a list for Davo to critique?

It's still an opinion. I don't think it's "the most flawed list" on here, I certainly agree with all your points, but it's probably a little harsh when he's at least put out a list. You could always do a list for Davo to critique?

It's true I was just being a little cheeky. In truth I am sure Davo knows more than I do. I can only go off watching players in the nationals for players outside SA. That's why I don't do a list because it would probably be worse than anyones. I take it all back Davo!

It's true I was just being a little cheeky. In truth I am sure Davo knows more than I do. I can only go off watching players in the nationals for players outside SA. That's why I don't do a list because it would probably be worse than anyones. I take it all back Davo!

thats fine, everyone has an opinion, but i stick to mine...

and im usually right, its a curse, but i'll live with it ;)

Agree - criticism may be warranted but has far greater weight from those willing to also do a list themselves.

...and there’s more diplomatic ways of getting your point across too.

I must say this is the most flawed list I have seen. There are some absolute howlers in here.

Lukosius at 5 is laughable as is Hately at 18. Chayce Jones way too low as well. He's a better footballer than B Scott who is way too high. Aaron Nietschke is was too high as well. He is no certainty to go in the main draft at all. That is just for starters.

Shame on you Davo you've stuffed it.

this is literally the exact same list as the one from 23 September, with the curious exception of Pick 48 Luke Moore disappearing from the list. Surely if you were going to overreact you could have done it before?

I've been going through the lists on this board and a pattern of negative posts like this have occurred this year, and the posters have stopped sharing their thoughts. Maybe be more constructive?

this is literally the exact same list as the one from 23 September, with the curious exception of Pick 48 Luke Moore disappearing from the list. Surely if you were going to overreact you could have done it before?

I've been going through the lists on this board and a pattern of negative posts like this have occurred this year, and the posters have stopped sharing their thoughts. Maybe be more constructive?

i copy pasted the list, so i dont know where pick 48 Luke Moore went, but i fixed it.

P.S. just going over the list, i think i want to make a few adjustments, Zak Butters might go up a few spots and Lachlan Sholl, Jason Carter and Fraser Turner might drop a few spots, also i want to swap places with O'Neill and Ross, so i'll probably make a few cosmetic changes for my final list next week or something.

others i have outside of the 60 are Hanrahan, Berry, Fletcher, Atley, Munn, Barzen, Bayne, Gown, Murray, Foley, Stack, Quint, Reinhard, Khamis, Garoni, Hustwaite, L.Young, Woodcock, Chandler, Grundy.

Last edited:
The thing about doing these lists is factoring in clubs needs and I think after the first 15 or thereabouts you could see some reaches and players jumping or falling 10 spots
For example look at Will Powell for the Suns last year
i use these boards as an indication of who could be available at a certain pick and just average them out

The thing about doing these lists is factoring in clubs needs and I think after the first 15 or thereabouts you could see some reaches and players jumping or falling 10 spots
For example look at Will Powell for the Suns last year
i use these boards as an indication of who could be available at a certain pick and just average them out
Will Powell is a player most bigfooty draft watchers wouldn’t have got a chance to watch in any form since he didn’t play champs which is what many Victorian based onlookers only have to go off for players from WA.

Goes to show that at the end of the day supporters should feel much more confident in the players the club picks because they are able to do far more research than those such as myself could hope to do.

ok i made a few changes to my Final top 60, im going to edit it into my 2nd post and not make any more changes to it, i took into consideration Stack and Berry and added them at the end, they have too much potential to ignore, even though their performances didnt win me over, Hustwaite made a combine list and i had to add him to my top 60, if he can pull respectable numbers at the combine i would think he gets drafted.

theres another 15 players of note that i couldnt fit into my top 60, which indicates my belief that the draft goes deep, much deeper than 40-odd like some in the media have suggested.

there seems to be 9 "elite" talents, Walsh, King Twins, Rankine, Lukosius, Blakey, Thomas, Rozee and Smith, with a handful filling out the first round that would be labelled "almost elite", because if they have performed better or more productively they couldve pushed for elite status.

some players who came from School football to push their way into the top 60, Sam Sturt, Harry Reynolds.

so here goes my Final top 60 for the year

TOP 60

1. Sam Walsh
2. Ben King
3. Izak Rankine
4. Nick Blakey (SYD A)
5. Jack Lukosius
6. Connor Rozee
7. Max King
8. Bailey Smith
9. Tarryn Thomas (NM NGA)
10. Xavier Duursma
11. Bailey Williams
12. Xavier O'Halloran
13. Ned McHenry
14. Zak Butters
15. Jordan Clark
16. Bailey Scott (NM F/S)
17. Jye Caldwell
18. Ian Hill
19. Jackson Hately
20. Chayce Jones
21. Connor McFadyen (BRIS A)
22. Sam Sturt
23. Ely Smith
24. Luke Valente
25. Riley Collier-Dawkins
26. Jack Bytel
27. Liam Stocker
28. Tom McKenzie
29. Jarrod Cameron (WCE NGA)
30. Jacob Kennerley
31. Curtis Taylor
32. Rhylee West (WEST F/S)
33. Laitham Vandermeer
34. Joe Ayton-Delaney
35. Aaron Nietschke
36. Jack Ross
37. Tom Joyce
38. Thomas Sparrow
39. Jason Carter (FRE NGA)
40. Lachlan Sholl
41. Will Hamill
42. Xavier O'Neill
43. Harry Reynolds
44. Jake Gaspar
45. Jez Mclennan
46. Oscar Brownless (GEEL F/S)
47. Alastair Richards
48. Fraser Turner
49. Campbell Hustwaite
50. Luke Moore
51. Daly Andrews
52. Toby Bedford (MELB NGA)
53. Tom Lewis
54. Jacob Koshitzke
55. Dillon O'Reilly
56. Mathew Walker (GWS A)
57. Mitch Riordan
58. Kieran Briggs (GWS A)
59. Tom Berry
60. Sydney Stack

mentions: Barzen, Chapman, Bayne, Garoni, L.Young, Murray(GWS A), Atley, Hanrahan, Fletcher, Quaynor(COLL NGA), Munn, Medhat(FRE NGA), Reid, Grundy, Foley, Quint (BL A), Gown, Golds

Last edited:
reasons and weaknesses for the top 60

1. Sam Walsh - the most composed and all round player in the draft averages over 30 poss, good user of the ball
2. Ben King - contested marking, stands up when a side needs him shown for vic metro, competitive
3. Izak Rankine - most talented player, but has a party boy reputation, needs to find some maturity for AFL football
4. Nick Blakey - strong minded player, a real fighter and competitor, never gives up, swans got lucky with him
5. Jack Lukosius - player that could develop into a top player, perfect height for kpp, has all the tools, but mentally doesnt seem determined enough.
6. Connor Rozee - skilled player, looks better than a SANFL player, even when he doesnt perform at his best is still a smooth mover on the field
7. Max King - competitive mark, more determined than his brother but lacks the flexibility his brother has
8. Bailey Smith - runs all day, high work rate mid, should do well at an AFL club
9. Tarryn Thomas - tough inside mid, good in the clinches and his clearances are damaging, has had some off-field problems, but i think they are minor
10. Xavier Duursma - another high work rate mid, but has less endurance, lovely kick of the footy and brings team mates into the play
11. Bailey Williams - COMPETITIVE big man, can win the ruck or a clearance like Brody Grundy or go forward and take multiple contested marks(also surprisingly quick on the burst) Goal kicking needs work
12. Jordan Clark - running defender with an all round game, loves to run and carry but his defensive spoils and tackles are strong also
13. Xavier O'Halloran - tough inside mid, great in the clinches, similar to Thomas but with less poss numbers, great leadership abilities and a competitor
14. Ned McHenry - busy player, i can see him becoming a small forward that is high on pressure acts and can kick a nice goal
15. Bailey Scott - tough inside mid that can float forward and kick a goal, showed some quality for the Allies in the Champs
16. Jye Caldwell - the little ive seen of him he looked talented, he has top end talent, but injury is a concern
17. Ian Hill - speedy winger who has a wonderful side step, i had him going higher, but he hasnt come on as well after the championships, a concern?
18. Jackson Hately - strong bodied mid, bull of a man, the only issue is his disposal, it can be horrible at times
19. Jack Bytel - tall mid with good skills in the clinches, has back injuries so had limited viewing of him, if he can get his body right he could be good
20. Riley Collier-Dawkins - big bodied quick rebound defender/mid, not a high accumulator of poss, but a great burst player
21. Connor McFadyen - all round utility, beautiful mark, uses the ball well, tough, Brisbane have a good one on their hands
22. Zak Butters - speedy player with quality poss, wins the majority of 1 on 1 contests, could even go higher in the draft
23. Sam Sturt - the prototype medium forward, contested marking, 1 on 1 ability, good goal accuracy, averages around 3 goals a game
24. Ely Smith - tough contested mid, reminded me of Adam Cooney in his prime, slightly under-rated
25. Luke Valente - talented inside mid that can spread and shows composure when he has the ball
26. Lachlan Sholl - high disposal defender, really nice user of the ball out of defence, lacks some defensive ability, medium paced can get caught, might be too high at 26?
27. Joe Ayton-Delaney - i really like this kid, hard runner out of defence, burst speed, busy player, hits a target majority of times which is important
28. Chayce Jones - busy mid for the Allies, not the best user of the ball, but works hard and has great endurance
29. Tom McKenzie - he is medium pace, and his disposal is a bit iffy, but he gets high poss and can be dangerous off of half back, could fall in the draft order?
30. Liam Stocker - high poss mid who won the morrish medal, his poss is a mixed bag, but he seems a competent mid
31. Jarrod Cameron - explosive forward on the lead, shows great agility on the field, can kick a lovely goal
32. Laitham Vandermeer - really caught my eye playing for vic country, always seemed to win a contest and spread the ball off of half back
33. Jason Carter - speedy, skillful mid from W.A. is a freo nga and when i saw him at the champs i had him going around 2nd round
34. Aaron Nietschke - i noticed him at the Champs as 1 to look out for and since then he has played really well at Central Dist and has gone up my draft board since then
35. Curtis Taylor - a talented player who seems a bit laconic/lazy, even though he is highly talented junior he needs to work harder for AFL footy
36. Rhylee West - busy mid, averages under 20 poss which is a problem, goal kicking mid, hasnt really impressed me in games ive seen. 2nd group of mids
37. Fraser Turner - busy high poss mid, had a good champs, 3rd best Tassie in the draft, might drop in the draft rankings, but should get drafted
38. Xavier O'Neill - midfielder that i noticed get involved in a lot of positive plays for Oakleigh in their finals series
39. Tom Lewis - strong mid, loves the tough stuff, extracts the ball and takes on the tackler, needs work on disposal, but inside mids usually have average kicking ability
40. Tom Joyce - a highly skilled mid from W.A. there were moments that reminded me of Cyril in the way he moves (high agility)
41. Thomas Sparrow - a good honest blue collar player, always puts in a second effort, not the most skilled, but has a high desire to compete
42. Oscar Brownless - another guy that isnt the cleanest or best use of the ball, but always puts 100% into every contest and i really admire these types that get the most out of their footy ability that they can.
43. Alastair Richards - runs all day, loves a handball receive or a run, uses it quite well, breaks the line and can go over the top of defenders.
44. Jack Ross - tough inside bull, that loves a handball to a team mate who is free, seems to do it multiple times per game, his kicking is also good when he gets free, could go higher but doesnt have the rep yet.
45. Jacob Kennerley - a good running outside mid, doesnt mind the tough stuff which is unique for a winger, good handball and when he kicks through the ball he is a decent kick, his chip kicking is horrible though
46. Jake Gaspar - leading medium forward who seemed quite skillful, kicked 42 goals at 2.6 goals per game.
47. Will Hamill - medium defender who is good in the air for a spoil or mark, when he has the ball he is really clever with poss, beautiful kick, competitor
48. Luke Moore - strong bodied well balanced small forward/mid, likes to throw his weight around and loves a goal.
49. Oscar Chapman - leading tallish forward, contested mark, love his mullet, playing good footy at SANFL reserves
50. Harry Reynolds - tall lanky quality mid, really stood out for Sandringham in the finals series with his ball winning ability and beautiful use of the footy under pressure
51. Daly Andrews - running winger who loves to take opponents on, which is an ability which stands out, he doesnt get a lot of the ball, but can be an impact player
52. Toby Bedford - another speedy impact player, doesnt get high poss, but when its in his vicinity he is all over it, tackling, winning the ball, handball and running ect, melbourne will match a late bid
53. Jacob Koschitzke - tall slow defender, but is a master in the air, spoiling or intercept marking, also knows which team mate to get it to to get it out of the defensive area.
54. Dillon O'Reilly - tall forward who is playing well at the WAFL finals, should be a late pickup
55. Jez McLennen - great intercept mark, medium paced half back who seems very composed and his use of the footy is good.
56. Mathew Walker - medium paced forw/mid, contested marking player, good tackler, doesnt get many poss which is a negative
57. Mitch Riordan - tough inside bull, loves the tough stuff and looks the most skillful at getting it out clean in the draft pool
58. Tom Medhat - goal kicking medium forward, made people take notice with his final game in the champs
59. Kieran Briggs - best ruckman at the championships, marking everything, winning the ruck, big wide bodied ruck
60. Kyle Reid - intercept marking defender, decent disposal, can take a tall forward and still perform the rebounding role.
I also think you are doing Bytel a favour having him at 19. He basically didn't play all year with a back injury and missed games last year for the same reason. If he wasn't able to get odd right in a few months then I would think it is more than a few stress fractures. do you really want to take the chance of taking him with a high pick? He hasn't proven he is over it. Low 40 or 50's for me.

I also think you are doing Bytel a favour having him at 19. He basically didn't play all year with a back injury and missed games last year for the same reason. If he wasn't able to get odd right in a few months then I would think it is more than a few stress fractures. do you really want to take the chance of taking him with a high pick? He hasn't proven he is over it. Low 40 or 50's for me.
Injury isnt effecting Max Kings draft range so why should it effect Bytels? He still played for Vic Metro and got a National Combine invite which would suggest he is still in the eyss of recruiters, when he has been on the park he has been an absolute ball magnet. A club may not take him in the top 20 but i dont disagree with the rating in general.

Injury isnt effecting Max Kings draft range so why should it effect Bytels? He still played for Vic Metro and got a National Combine invite which would suggest he is still in the eyss of recruiters, when he has been on the park he has been an absolute ball magnet. A club may not take him in the top 20 but i dont disagree with the rating in general.
I'm with ya bro, for mine Jack when fit and up and running sits well in the next level of mids behind the Walsh, Smith's etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with ya bro, for mine Jack when fit and up and running sits well in the next level of mids behind the Walsh, Smith's etc.
I actually cant fit him into my newest top 30 :p His speed and inconsistent kicking worry me and he isnt very versatile either. Not sure how much his injury has effected his running but you wouldnt think so being a back injury. He is a ball magnet but so is Sam Fletcher who plays very similar.

I actually cant fit him into my newest top 30 :p His speed and inconsistent kicking worry me and he isnt very versatile either. Not sure how much his injury has effected his running but you wouldnt think so being a back injury. He is a ball magnet but so is Sam Fletcher who plays very similar.
Honestly the times I've seen him play here he's been clearly better than West in the midfield, around the ground at stoppages and did some handy work up forward. Tough as. A lot said the similar about James Worpel remember, reckon they've eaten a bit of humble pie yet?

prior to the season people had bytel and caldwell as top 10 with rankine, lukosius, king twins, walsh, smith, blakey and thomas.... obviously rozee has gone past them because of his year, but if they werent injured for a good porton of the year, they would be higher rated i would think, so its not out of this world to have them mid-20's or in the first round.....

Max had previously been discussed as a potential #1 pick which never happens now. It has clearly effected his draft range.

Twomey still brings him up as someone worth that pick, if another team had pick 1 he would still be in the conversation.
IMHO his range has changed from 1-3, down to 3-7.

There’s no doubt the #1 pick has to be seen to be ready to play at Rd 1 for marketing reasons as much as anything else.

Unless the pick gets traded by Carlton to a team already contending for a flag.

Twomey still brings him up as someone worth that pick, if another team had pick 1 he would still be in the conversation.
Do you have a link where he says he ranks him above Walsh, Lukosius or Rankine despite the injury "unknowns"?

I know there are observers who say stuff like "any of these players would be worthy #1s", but that is an answer to a different question.

The highest M King goes is #3 to St Kilda, and if it wasn't for his injury there wouldn't even be a question for them about whether they would take him at 3 or not.

i copy pasted the list, so i dont know where pick 48 Luke Moore went, but i fixed it.

P.S. just going over the list, i think i want to make a few adjustments, Zak Butters might go up a few spots and Lachlan Sholl, Jason Carter and Fraser Turner might drop a few spots, also i want to swap places with O'Neill and Ross, so i'll probably make a few cosmetic changes for my final list next week or something.

others i have outside of the 60 are Hanrahan, Berry, Fletcher, Atley, Munn, Barzen, Bayne, Gown, Murray, Foley, Stack, Quint, Reinhard, Khamis, Garoni, Hustwaite, L.Young, Woodcock, Chandler, Grundy.

What about Caleb Graham from GC academy kicked 6 in a game during the academy series and can play back

Do you have a link where he says he ranks him above Walsh, Lukosius or Rankine despite the injury "unknowns"?

I know there are observers who say stuff like "any of these players would be worthy #1s", but that is an answer to a different question.

The highest M King goes is #3 to St Kilda, and if it wasn't for his injury there wouldn't even be a question for them about whether they would take him at 3 or not.
No because he doesn’t say that, he just brings him up when talking about players that could go pick 1. Did it as recently as this week I can’t remeber if that was in an interview for trade week radio or on the AFL site.

The point in trying to make is that the injury hasn’t significantly effected his range.

No because he doesn’t say that, he just brings him up when talking about players that could go pick 1. Did it as recently as this week I can’t remeber if that was in an interview for trade week radio or on the AFL site.

The point in trying to make is that the injury hasn’t significantly effected his range.
Cheers.

I think Hedgefund has got it right and he has just dipped out of the consideration for the top 2. I also think that is with the draft order coming into play and club's needs have a small impact. If Saints had the #1 pick, his range could still be 1-7 for me.

Cheers.

I think Hedgefund has got it right and he has just dipped out of the consideration for the top 2. I also think that is with the draft order coming into play and club's needs have a small impact. If Saints had the #1 pick, his range could still be 1-7 for me.
Yeah the other point is that it’s not as much the injury that is making him go lower moreso the clubs in the range and what their needs are or if they believe that player can be retained.

If a Victorian teams main need was a contested marking key forward he would most likely be the number 1 pick.

If an SA team didn’t need a key position player they might have taken Rankine ahead of Lukosius. Most of these top end kids could have gone pick 1 in past drafts easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back