Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Harrison Oliver a Bailey Dale attacking half back type, or does he have some defensive accountability too?

Players i think that can make it at AFL level if they have the right mindset, they are developed well, stay injury free and given opportunity early so they are motivated to do the work in the gym.

95% or higher - O'Sullivan, Draper and Hotton

90% or higher - L.Ashcroft, Lombard, Armstrong, Smith, Travaglia, Lalor, Trainor, Langford, Berry, Shanahan, Kako, Reid, Lindsay, B.Camporeale, Smillie, Tauru

80% or higher - Gerreyn, Hynes, Welsh, Faull, Allan, Urquhart, Moraes, Ivisic, Champion, Dodson, Bradley, J.Whitlock, M.Whitlock, Sims, Murphy, O'Farrell, Ough, Boxshall, S.Marshall, Oliver, Alger, L.Camporeale, Davis, Dattoli, Depaoli-Kubank, Day-Wicks, Barrett, Unwin

70% or higher - Nicholls, Gross, Hargrave

percentage chance they make it for the top 50 if they are fully fit, avoid injuries and have no mental weaknesses creep in during the stresses of AFL pressure from my PoV..... (but we know from history some will fail because of injury or non development or lack of opportunity)

The best ground/chaos ball small forward that isnt Kako is Berry, any team that wants to improve their finals small ball game should seriously look at Berry... (Carlton should be desperate to get him tbh)
I think Ollie Hannaford is fast approaching that discussion bearing in mind he's only more recently switched from small pressure defender to a full time goalkicking small pressure forward. IMO he has both Kako and Berry on the high pressure gauge. Has a hardness and aggressiveness to his game that both Kako and Berry can't match IMO.

I think Ollie Hannaford is fast approaching that discussion bearing in mind he's only more recently switched from small pressure defender to a full time goalkicking small pressure forward. IMO he has both Kako and Berry on the high pressure gauge. Has a hardness and aggressiveness to his game that both Kako and Berry can't match IMO.
Hes coming on strong with recent form, bolting into a position to be drafted now.

Last edited:
i thought i would do a new top 60 for this years draft, i still dont think theres an elite player although statistically Jagga Smith is elite, but his actually play and the eye test doesnt stand up as well which gives me doubt, the depth seems strong and there are 20 other names i could mention as possible draftees, i have gone back to my original number 1 pick, i have the most faith in him becoming a good player, so here it is

September Top 60

1. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh - 182cm
2. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh - 181cm
3. Levi Ashcroft - Sandringham (Bris FS) - 179cm
4. Leonardo Lombard - GCS A - 178cm
5. Harry Armstrong - Sand - 194cm
6. Sid Draper - Sth Adel - 180cm
7. Josh Smillie - Eastern - 194cm
8. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo - 187cm
9. Luke Trainor - Sandringham - 194cm
10. Taj Hotton - Sandringham - 182cm (acl injury)
11. Sam Lalor - GWV - 187cm
12. Harvey Langford - Dandenong - 190cm
13. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo - 194cm
14. Joe Berry - Murray - 180cm
15. Isaac Kako - Calder (Ess NGA) - 175cm
16. Murphy Reid - Sandringham - 180cm
17. Xavier Lindsay - Gippsland - 183cm
18. Ben Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 186cm
19. Kayle Gerreyn - West Perth - 199cm
20. Cooper Hynes - Dandenong - 190cm
21. Tyler Welsh - WWT (Adel FS)- 191cm
22. Harry O'Farrell - Calder - 196cm
23. Jonty Faull - GWV - 195cm
24. Josh Murphy - Murray - 190cm
25. Bo Allan - Peel - 191cm
26. Thomas Sims - Northern - 199cm
27. Xavier Ivisic - Geelong - 180cm
28. Luke Urquhart - East Frem - 190cm
29. Jack Whitlock - Murray - 200cm
30. Christian Moraes - Eastern - 183cm
31. Malakai Champion - Subiaco (WCE NGA) - 172cm
32. Matt Whitlock - Murray - 200cm
33. Alex Dodson - Sth Adel - 203cm
34. Evan Bradley - Nth Adel - 174cm
35. Charlie Nicholls - Cent Dist 197cm
36. Alix Tauru - Gippsland - 191cm
37. Jack Ough - GWV - 194cm
38. Hugh Boxshall - Clare - 187cm
39. Sam Marshall - Sandringham (Bris A) - 185cm
40. Harrison Oliver - Sandringham - 181cm
41. Jasper Alger - Oakleigh -182cm
42. Tom Gross - Oakleigh - 181cm
43. Lucas Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 185cm
44. Hamish Davis - Clare - 190cm
45. Jesse Dattoli - Northern - 179cm
46. Benny Barrett - Sth Adel (Port NGA) - 175cm
47. Archer Day-Wicks - Bendigo - 186cm
48. Oliver Depaoli-Kubank - Tas - 178cm
49. Adrian Cole - Sandringham (StK NGA) - 195cm
50. Doug Kerr - Oakleigh (acl injury/Coll NGA) - 192cm
51. Rhys Unwin - GWV - 178cm
52. Josaia Delana - GWS A - 174cm
53. Zak Johnson - Northern - 185cm
54. Phoenix Hargrave - Sth Adel - 182cm
55. Patrick Retschko - Oakleigh - 186cm
56. Lucas McInerney - Northern - 180cm
57. Josh Dolan - Sandringham - 177cm
58. Charlie Burke - Subiaco - 183cm
59. Logan Smith - GWS A - 204cm
60. Angus Clarke - Glenlg - 188cm
No Barrat?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Barrat?
Recently playing back seems to be getting positive reviews, I've only seen him play a bunch as a forward, I should watch his defender games to see if he ranks higher
How’s our Boy Cody Anderson looking, Davo?
I mean he is tough inside, good clearance type mid with some disposal issues (accumulation and use) but could be good value late or rookie? If we decide to pick him as an NGA prospect, if it's confirmed he is in our NGA...
Jesse Dattoli at 45. That’s a ridiculous bargain pick for a quality youngster like Dattoli. Hopefully that at the Dees.
I've been a fan for 2 years now, he yoyos around my top 50 but should be value in the 2nd round I think, after he has proved he has midfield chops from the champs and now for Northern.

I like what Lachie Jaques has done this year intercept marking another I think deserves more mentions

Last edited:
Players i think that can make it at AFL level if they have the right mindset, they are developed well, stay injury free and given opportunity early so they are motivated to do the work in the gym.

95% or higher - O'Sullivan, Draper and Hotton

90% or higher - L.Ashcroft, Lombard, Armstrong, Smith, Travaglia, Lalor, Trainor, Langford, Berry, Shanahan, Kako, Reid, Lindsay, B.Camporeale, Smillie, Tauru

80% or higher - Gerreyn, Hynes, Welsh, Faull, Allan, Urquhart, Moraes, Ivisic, Champion, Dodson, Bradley, J.Whitlock, M.Whitlock, Sims, Murphy, O'Farrell, Ough, Boxshall, S.Marshall, Oliver, Alger, L.Camporeale, Davis, Dattoli, Depaoli-Kubank, Day-Wicks, Barrett, Unwin

70% or higher - Nicholls, Gross, Hargrave

percentage chance they make it for the top 50 if they are fully fit, avoid injuries and have no mental weaknesses creep in during the stresses of AFL pressure from my PoV..... (but we know from history some will fail because of injury or non development or lack of opportunity)
Nice summary, but isn't Hotton coming off a knee injury? I'd expect the injury risk knocks him down a category or two there

i am curious on your thought of Murphy Reid and why you have him much lower than other mock/phantom drafts

He seems to be only getting better as the season goes on
He's a good accumulator but for me he's also a bit vanilla.

He's not quick nor does he have that burst out of stoppages you need from a modern day midfielder. He's pretty composed and calm under pressure which is a good trait to have.

I just worry that when you're 180cm midfielder with the lack of speed and burst out of stoppages you get found out pretty quick at AFL level. You can get away with it at under 18s level and VFL, but the step up to AFL is significant.

i am curious on your thought of Murphy Reid and why you have him much lower than other mock/phantom drafts

He seems to be only getting better as the season goes on

He's not quick nor does he have that burst out of stoppages you need from a modern day midfielder. He's pretty composed and calm under pressure which is a good trait to have.

I just worry that when you're 180cm midfielder with the lack of speed and burst out of stoppages you get found out pretty quick at AFL level. You can get away with it at under 18s level and VFL, but the step up to AFL is significant.

Murphy Reid for me is an interesting one, he can get a lot of the ball and surprises you with how much of the footy he gets, he can be unbelievably clean and sharp at times, also a good shot at goal, I have noticed he goes missing for long periods and can be a bit too casual at times, I think 10-20 is a good range for him, I know he is good, but I'm not sure he has the drive or determination that others in the top 10 have shown this year, as for what others rank players, I try to ignore them.

Is he what Sam Walsh is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back