Dawson must be axed

Remove this Banner Ad

"Matty McGuire is looking pretty good for Brisbane too" :mad:

I've got a theory that Ross keeps playing him because of the call he made before last years grand final. He went with Zac over Maxie and now I believe he thinks he has to stick with Zac because of it.

If he drops Zac, he may get a few calls of "it's about time, see we told you, bring back Maxie etc etc" (Yes I know that Max retired lol)

Its more the case that you can't have two players that can fumble a bit in the same team esp. the back line. Dawson and Clarke should not be playing together. Like I mentioned on another post re King and Gardy playing together. This week we will get to know a lot more about Lyon and his "core" thinking

Well done Armchair critics.

Give it a rest - the culprits tonight were Milne, Kosi and Raph

We forget just how few games Dawson has under his belt.

He is still at the apprentice at this stage of his career. He will improve. Maybe he can go back to the Zebs to work on a specific part of his game, but for St Kilda's sake he should play as many games as we can get into him. We recognise that the wet conditions made it difficult for Kosi, well Dawson was affected too. Raph was only in his second game back. He will get better.

Umps didn't help us either by refusing to pay 20 metre kicks for us yet paying some very short kicks for Port.

What do we expect of Zac Dawson ?

1.) play man on man against the opposition's #1 forward ?

He kept Tredrea to 10 possessions and 2 marks - he may have ended with two goals, but one of was a late Xmas present from the umpire and the other was a lucky spill of the ball when not contesting for the mark.

He was not meant to play on Ebert in the first half - he had to help out after one turnover after the other from in particular Gilbert and Fisher.

2.) provide an option when playing out of the backline with accurate disposals ?

He had 12 possessions with 2 marks and a disposal efficiency of 83%.

3.) do all the hard, often unoticed, things (trademark) ?

He had 11 1%ers - as many as the second and third in this category (Blake and Clarke) combined.

The entire team struggled - but Dawson (and Clarke for that matter) are not to blame. We kept Port to 7 goals - our problem was rather the awful kicking and countless turnovers from those responsible for setting up pur attack which resulted in just 6 goals for us.

I dont think you should sack him. He relies on confidence. He wasnt good at the start of last year until he got confident and then started kicking the ball more as well. I think dropping him would not help.

The biggest problem last night was that we suck outdoors, especially in the wet. Pearce and Rodan handled it really well and they won a 50/50 game. Well done to them. You would look at our inefficient kickers before Dawson.

you noticed that as well?

I am not blaming the umps for our loss, but there were a few decisions where marks weren't paid for us in critical times that didn't help.

It was hilarious, that ball Rodan kicked from the pocket, it went about 100 metres up in the air, and Schulz marked it in the goal square - Paid the mark.

and then

St.Kilda player kicks in from a behind, kicks it from the square (almost identicle from where Schulz marked) to the pocket where rodan kicked from - Called Play on

And, I don't know, but I think it's just about Illegal to pay Schneider or Milne a free kick these days :rolleyes:

I dont think you should sack him. He relies on confidence. He wasnt good at the start of last year until he got confident and then started kicking the ball more as well. I think dropping him would not help.

The biggest problem last night was that we suck outdoors, especially in the wet. Pearce and Rodan handled it really well and they won a 50/50 game. Well done to them. You would look at our inefficient kickers before Dawson.

Maybe beating a few forwards Man on Man in the VFL would improve his confidence.

"Matty McGuire is looking pretty good for Brisbane too" :mad:

I've got a theory that Ross keeps playing him because of the call he made before last years grand final. He went with Zac over Maxie and now I believe he thinks he has to stick with Zac because of it.

If he drops Zac, he may get a few calls of "it's about time, see we told you, bring back Maxie etc etc" (Yes I know that Max retired lol)
I'm sure a successful coach of a professional sports team will only be playing someone so a few critics won't be able to say "I told you so" :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fine, will discuss,

High efficiency only due to the fact he mostly receives easy disposals when switching the play, even then he looks uneasy fumbly. When under pressure decision making execution is VFL standard at best.
Too many free kicks against
Only spoils players when outside 50, insude 50 he always gets pushed under.
Big deal about Tredrea, whats he done lately???? Hes not J Brown, Pavlich, Riewldt et

I do agree he looks a little rushed under pressure. He looks for the easy get out handball rather than take the man on and get a kick away.

There's no reason why we should be dropping a tall and mobile defender, maybe we can use him as a forward if we can't move Gilbert down there??

The way I see it is there's no point having all our talls in the backline if we are not kicking goals. That's just plain stupid.

We forget just how few games Dawson has under his belt.

He is still at the apprentice at this stage of his career. He will improve. Maybe he can go back to the Zebs to work on a specific part of his game, but for St Kilda's sake he should play as many games as we can get into him. We recognise that the wet conditions made it difficult for Kosi, well Dawson was affected too. Raph was only in his second game back. He will get better.

Umps didn't help us either by refusing to pay 20 metre kicks for us yet paying some very short kicks for Port.

finally a wise post.

can we all calm down and not forget we have alot of developing players in our best 22. clarke, gilbert, mcqualter, dawson, gwilt, armitage, geary.

they will have bad games, its important for their development that we dont crucify them if they have a bad game or make a mistake. good players arent made over night, they make mistakes and get better. we just need to make sure they are continually improving. i think we are still working on undoing the damage hawthorn did to dawson.

having said that i do think we need to send some players back to the vfl to find their feet and get some confidence (not to punish them, more to help them rebound stronger and more confident). i think dawson is a good example. his body language clearly shows he is down on confidence.

finally a wise post.

can we all calm down and not forget we have alot of developing players in our best 22. clarke, gilbert, mcqualter, dawson, gwilt, armitage, geary.

they will have bad games, its important for their development that we dont crucify them if they have a bad game or make a mistake. good players arent made over night, they make mistakes and get better. we just need to make sure they are continually improving. i think we are still working on undoing the damage hawthorn did to dawson.

having said that i do think we need to send some players back to the vfl to find their feet and get some confidence (not to punish them, more to help them rebound stronger and more confident). i think dawson is a good example. his body language clearly shows he is down on confidence.

lol what damage did they do?
He is not a girl. (no offence Bench)
Put him in the 2's for a few weeks, and see if he sucks it up.

I'm sure a successful coach of a professional sports team will only be playing someone so a few critics won't be able to say "I told you so" :rolleyes:

I was not saying this was the reason, but please feel free to explain to me why Dawson gets picked each week despite the obvious reasons why he should no longer be picked.

I believe he is playing at CHB for Brisbane now.

Can someone tell me why Goose wasn't given the same opportunities now as Dawson and Ralph Clarke are receiving?

Goose was never going to be a full back Key position player.
Also a different sort of player to what they would like Raph ( short for Raphael ) to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawson must be axed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back