Dayne Beams gutted after he tells Mick Malthouse he is not fit to play in Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

One goal in 7 finals suggests he just stinks it up in finals. Wont be the first and wont be the last player it happens to.

One goal in 7 finals suggests he just stinks it up in finals. Wont be the first and wont be the last player it happens to.

What bizarre logic. How many forwards in the league with a reasonable sample size have a superior record in finals then H&A? Additionally, Beams is 21. How he performed 2 years ago in finals is irrelevant.

I suspect he was either injured last week or the match committee felt that he could still play a role. Either way, considering form leading up to that game including two big games against Geelong and West Coast, you'd have to give benefit of the doubt to the Collingwood FC line.

I think there's a fair chance that Beams was dropped for Fasolo, and Malthouse has come up with this story as a way of letting the bloke save face.

And fair enough too. This way Beams doesn't have to walk around with the general public knowing he got dropped for the grand final.

Not saying this is definitely what happened, but more power to Malthouse if it did.

I'm pretty sure there's something at the back of my memory that suggest MM has the form for dropping bigger players than Beams for a final or big game.

John Worsfold anyone? Didn't need an injury as an excuse there...

Edit: AND Steve Malaxos

Quelle Surprise! Right on cue the offended Saints fan joins the conga line. Seriously Finger, are you still so ashamed of your club that you can't bear to be seen in their colours? Honestly, they weren't that bad this year. :thumbsu:

A guy who averaged 27.5 touches and 1.5 goals since coming back from injury in Round 19, and only gets 2 touches in a game, and people don't believe he was actually injured.

Special minds.

I'm thanking you because you rate Collingwood's medicos the best in the world. :) The rest is just trolling which I wouldn't waste time responding to! :rolleyes:

You're welcome then I guess, I didn't realise you were on the Collingwood medical staff. :rolleyes:

I wasn't trolling, I just don't think you can have it both ways, whatever the reason is for him not playing. Either he went into the game injured (poor decision), he got injured early which is why he couldn't get a kick, but still wasn't subbed (poor decision), or he got injured in the 3/4 and was just shit, which means his form wasn't because of injury.

No they didn't. He had been in great form prior to the Prelim, probably the best form of his career. Do you drop a player on one bad game?

Well, if he had two disposals for three quarters of footy, it would have been very obvious that he was carrying an injury, possibly a serious injury.

I will go along with the article in the Herald Sun that he should not be disheartened for being dropped - the issue is that he is not fit enough to play in the game tomorrow. But that doesn't detract from the fact that his future is with Collingwood as one of its future regular players, possibly one of its stars.

It's not like when Derek Kickett was dropped by Kevin Sheedy for the 93 Grand Final, after playing well in every game that season. That was a shattering experience for Derek.

You're welcome then I guess, I didn't realise you were on the Collingwood medical staff. :rolleyes:

I wasn't trolling, I just don't think you can have it both ways, whatever the reason is for him not playing. Either he went into the game injured (poor decision), he got injured early which is why he couldn't get a kick, but still wasn't subbed (poor decision), or he got injured in the 3/4 and was just shit, which means his form wasn't because of injury.

So let me understand this. Either what you're saying is that the best medicos in the world all have x-ray vision and can see a soft tissue injury from a mile away or you happen to know all of the workings of the team's decisions in terms of who they sub and when.

Sorry, but if that isn't trolling then I've never seen it albeit that it is such an idiotic proposition.

No they didn't. He had been in great form prior to the Prelim, probably the best form of his career. Do you drop a player on one bad game?

Malthouse did it in important finals to Malaxos and Worsfold.

If he thought it would win him the game, he would do it in an instant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So let me understand this. Either what you're saying is that the best medicos in the world all have x-ray vision and can see a soft tissue injury from a mile away or you happen to know all of the workings of the team's decisions in terms of who they sub and when.

Sorry, but if that isn't trolling then I've never seen it albeit that it is such an idiotic proposition.

Could you define "trolling" please.

I wasn't trolling, I just don't think you can have it both ways, whatever the reason is for him not playing. Either he went into the game injured (poor decision)

If that's the case, then hindsight suggests it was a poor decision, but let's not pretend guys don't go in injured every week. Look at Naitanui, Kerr and Kennedy for West Coast alone last week.

he got injured early which is why he couldn't get a kick, but still wasn't subbed (poor decision),

Again, this happens pretty regularly. Coaches would often think, "I'll get as much out of him as possible, even if it's defensive, so the opposition won't have a fresh player to bring in against our tiring players" or "We'd get more impact from Didak when opposition players are tired so let's get Beams to go as long as he can".

or he got injured in the 3/4 and was just shit, which means his form wasn't because of injury.

Possibly, but seems unlikely considering previous form. From a statistical view, his performance would be an outlier.

Malthouse did it in important finals to Malaxos and Worsfold.

If he thought it would win him the game, he would do it in an instant.

Did he use injury as an excuse? Or did he do it last year for Davis, for that matter?

It doesn't make much sense they would lie about this. Apart from anything else, if he was fit he would surely be an emergency ahead of Sinclair.

There is a chance he may have been dropped anyway, but I really doubt it. I can't see any reason to not believe Malthouse.

So he thought it was ok to go into a prelim injured ..but not a Grand Final ?

special minds :eek:

Going into the prelim he would have had no inkling that the injury was going to affect his performance in the way that it did. Now he knows how hampered he would be affected by it tomorrow and has done the team thing.

See the difference?

Special minds indeed.

So he thought it was ok to go into a prelim injured ..but not a Grand Final ?

special minds :eek:

You're assuming the match committee played him without knowledge of a niggle.

Regardless, players go into games with niggles all the time.

The MC and Beams may have felt he could play a role in the PF, following his struggles, Beams has obviously said "I can't impact under those conditions so don't consider me for selection".

LOL I didn't even pick up the subtle dig at Beams in the thread title. He IS gutted. He DID tell mick he's not fit. This is thread a troll fail.

Did he use injury as an excuse? Or did he do it last year for Davis, for that matter?

It doesn't make much sense they would lie about this. Apart from anything else, if he was fit he would surely be an emergency ahead of Sinclair.

There is a chance he may have been dropped anyway, but I really doubt it. I can't see any reason to not believe Malthouse.

Very good point.

i don't get it

Mick made no injury excuse for him last week? said he wasn't injured and just had a bad game?

so he hadn't spoken to his medical staff?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back