MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

Some bizarre comments on here.

DeGoey lined him up, left the ground, got him in the head and gave the kid concussion.

But yeah - it's Hewett's fault. Sometimes you just have to sit back and shake your head.

If Hewett didn't participate in the game, he wouldn't of got hit in the head. So he is at least, partially responsible.

Am I saying Hewett should be suspended for participating in his own concussion? No, but you'd definitely consider it.

I thought it was a really nice bump, not dirty! Should still be allowed to clean someone up just after they've disposed of the footy. It takes guts to get the kick/handball away knowing your going to get pumelled! Now, before you get your knickers in a knot, I realise it wasn't perfectly executed! Feet left the ground and got him high resulting in concussion, 1 or 2 weeks is enough.

If Hewett didn't participate in the game, he wouldn't of got hit in the head. So he is at least, partially responsible.

Am I saying Hewett should be suspended for participating in his own concussion? No, but you'd definitely consider it.
Definitely worth a fine for trying to tunnel de Goey with his face

Much like Pies fans and media trying to blame everything but De Goey for the hit?

There’s no doubt in my mind that if it weren’t a Collingwood player the narrative would be how dirty the offender was and how he should be made an example of, rather than microscopically analysing the flippant reaction of a teammate

It’s a bump. Last time I checked it’s still a footy act.

Jordan Lewis said it right. He would have been in that position many times in the game and got it wrong once.

No different to a tackle.

This narrative that he maliciously and intentionally took out an opponent is bananas.

If roles were reversed and Yeo took out Daicos I would 100% expect the entire AFL community to go into meltdown and Yeo being given 6 weeks, whilst Pendles coming out and saying 1-2 months, would be laughed off as a bit of light hearted banter
Your side isn’t just pathetic on field, it’s even worse off it.
The victim is on your team and you’re making all the apologies after all these deflections and not sticking up for him on field.
I thought the hawks loss was the worst look, but no it’s this saga.

Some bizarre comments on here.

DeGoey lined him up, left the ground, got him in the head and gave the kid concussion.

But yeah - it's Hewett's fault. Sometimes you just have to sit back and shake your head.

The way you’ve described it makes it like he’s intentionally lined him up to bump him in the head.

Surely you don’t actually believe that so you?

He ‘jumped’ all of less than 10cms. Which I’d argue is more bracing for contact… off the back foot.

If you actually think he intended to hit him high you’re being purposefully obtuse.
Lmao bracing for contact. He could have realised he wasn't going to make it in time, short stepped and tried to intercept the ball

Or he could have gotten low and bumped him legally if not a little late

But he chose the worst option, jump, which only ends one way. Unless he's an Olympic high jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He ‘jumped’ all of less than 10cms. Which I’d argue is more bracing for contact… off the back foot.

If you actually think he intended to hit him high you’re being purposefully obtuse.

Why wouldnt he drop low with the exact same action?

He had time to choose to go high or low. He chose high.

Intended maybe not
But i dont think its a brace. You don't jump if you brace. 10cm or less.
You plant, turn and tense.

Just a bump that went bad

Bucks - who is an ex coll man
Mcguane - see above.

Grant Thomas doesn't count as anything. Irrelevant trying to make himself relevant. I forgot he existed until today

And bartel, but more at the "or 2" comment from Sheed.

From the outlets;
Foxfooty is already laying down the 4 weeks precedence from stewart and the pies "opportunity" to acknowledge and cop the whack and move on

SEN - hodge doesnt know why WCE apologised

Also from SEN - While everyone’s thoughts are with the teenager who was concussed as a result of the incident, there’s no doubt the act will cost Collingwood with De Goey facing a ban of more than three weeks

foxtel-
Garry lyon - JDG forgot how footy is played now and will cop weeks
Bucks has backpedalled to 3-4, maybe 5.
He and browny mainly commented on the commentary about it being weak/dog act

Michael gleeson has reignited the sin bin argument for acts like de goeys

I havent caught 360 yet.

Im not seeing anyone call JDG a good bloke outside a couple of collingwood cronies
360 had Lewis on there (instead of Robbo).
Lewis said 3-4, probably 3.
They didn't blame Hewett for the hit, at least.

The way you’ve described it makes it like he’s intentionally lined him up to bump him in the head.

Surely you don’t actually believe that so you?
I imagine Collingwood will run this defence at the tribunal.

Your honour - Mr DeGoey was under the impression player Hewett was 11 foot 7 inches tall and therefore was of the belief that his actions would impact Mr Hewett somewhere around his chest to midriff area. I myself find it hard to distinguish Mr Hewett from Andrea the Giant.

This thread gets stranger by the minute.

The problem in all of this is that the AFL has ****ed everything up by picking and choosing when a player can and can't do these sorts of actions. Likely to win a brownlow? star player playing a GF next week? Play on! Combine that with the flavour of the week of rubbing out players for 1-2 weeks for slightly dubious tackles and now compare that to potentially 3 weeks for lining a player up and concussing them.

So we will now be in the position where the eagles fans will be baying for blood on the claims this action needs to be stamped out and the pies fans will be saying their calls are ridiculous if we look at some of the previous precedents.

Personally I think if the AFL aren't willing to come down hard on this action they deserve all that's coming to them when the inevitable concussion lawsuits come. With that said, the time to do that was earlier in the year when pickett thought launching his shoulder at Bailey Smiths head was a perfectly reasonable course of action. the only difference between the two is De Goey successfully connected and Pickett missed.

Think it should be at least 4 similar to McAdam, more if AFL were serious about concussions, but they clearly aren't so probably 3 is where it will inevitably land.

Tribunal judgements are nowhere near consistent, so how can the fans possibly apply any consistency to what they think should happen here?
Didn’t hear much of this from you lot when Rioli tried to take off Rowells head

Barely a free kick was the general consensus from Eagles supporters.

Wow, the excuses for de Goey are just fanciful.
Look at this view below. Hewitt is executing a handball (not shaping to, but actually handballing) and de Goey is making no attempt to even intercept, or change direction.

6493529E-6C06-45FA-BD0A-A90A566DFBDB.jpeg

or go back earlier, when Hewitt is shaping to handball. Look how far away de Goey is.

81315CAC-E09C-44FB-A3A8-D882CECDF204.jpeg

This scenario plays out 200 times a game I reckon.
De Goey know exactly what he is going to do, which was never to play the ball.
Which is fine, he is obviously looking to stop Hewitt continuing on his run and possibly getting a return hand pass 1-2.

and what are his choices? He can run with, he can shepherd with arms out, he can grab him in a “late tackle” or execute a running shepherd.

But he does this.

E3E3567F-756D-4AF0-BCE2-BC4E7AFCB2D2.jpeg

He chooses to bump, he lifts up high rather than stay low, he makes significant contact with his shoulder to an unprotected players head.
In todays game, it’s as clear a 3-4 match suspension as you’ll get.

But after incident like Cripps last year, I won’t be surprised in what permutations and legal argument can come up to reduce that.

I think JDG goes for 3-4 BUT just honestly ask yourselves what this thread would read like if Ginnivan wore EXACTLY the same bump. Hysteria and bias has been blatant iparticularly given the muted outrage on Pickett's 2 weeks which seems worse anyway you view it.
The failing there was that the Pickett contact was incorrectly graded as 'high impact', not 'severe' by the MRP.

DeGoey's was correctly graded as 'severe impact' and therefore sent to Tribunal.

I think JDG goes for 3-4 BUT just honestly ask yourselves what this thread would read like if Ginnivan wore EXACTLY the same bump. Hysteria and bias has been blatant iparticularly given the muted outrage on Pickett's 2 weeks which seems worse anyway you view it.
Ginnivan would've ducked into it.

Ask yourself what teh reaction would've been if N.Daicos wore the same bump?

Would've been calls for gaol time for the offending player in the Vic Media, instead of blaming Daicos for being hit.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back