MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

Your side isn’t just pathetic on field, it’s even worse off it.
The victim is on your team and you’re making all the apologies after all these deflections and not sticking up for him on field.
I thought the hawks loss was the worst look, but no it’s this saga.

Saga?

Lol.

A saga is a premiership side missing finals the following year. So trott off and worry about your own clubs saga's.

We've got plenty without making up more of them.

Wow, the excuses for de Goey are just fanciful.
Look at this view below. Hewitt is executing a handball (not shaping to, but actually handballing) and de Goey is making no attempt to even intercept, or change direction.

View attachment 1705851

or go back earlier, when Hewitt is shaping to handball. Look how far away de Goey is.

View attachment 1705862

This scenario plays out 200 times a game I reckon.
De Goey know exactly what he is going to do, which was never to play the ball.
Which is fine, he is obviously looking to stop Hewitt continuing on his run and possibly getting a return hand pass 1-2.

and what are his choices? He can run with, he can shepherd with arms out, he can grab him in a “late tackle” or execute a running shepherd.

But he does this.

View attachment 1705863

He chooses to bump, he lifts up high rather than stay low, he makes significant contact with his shoulder to an unprotected players head.
In todays game, it’s as clear a 3-4 match suspension as you’ll get.

But after incident like Cripps last year, I won’t be surprised in what permutations and legal argument can come up to reduce that.

Well there is no excuse that Hewett ducked. He's standing fairly upright when impact occurs.

So the reference to Ginnevin is plain stupid.

You know the difference .

You can argue the differences all you like, but fact remains, both Stewart and De Goey got it wrong executing their bumps, and both deserved/deserve their right whacks at the tribunal for an action we don't want in our game.

Stark difference for mine is though, De Goey didn't care and wasn't visibly shaken in the least - nor has he appeared before the media and offered a public apology for his actions. I would hope at the very least he called Hewett and apologised for his actions, but haven't heard anything about Hewett's welfare - just poor De Goey.

Caminiti got 3 weeks for knocking Murphy out miles off the ball so I don't see how De Goey can get more than that If you compare the recent cases

You can argue the differences all you like, but fact remains, both Stewart and De Goey got it wrong executing their bumps, and both deserved/deserve their right whacks at the tribunal for an action we don't want in our game.

Stark difference for mine is though, De Goey didn't care and wasn't visibly shaken in the least - nor has he appeared before the media and offered a public apology for his actions. I would hope at the very least he called Hewett and apologised for his actions, but haven't heard anything about Hewett's welfare - just poor De Goey.

Jordan reportedly reached out to check on the kid on Sunday night, so a fail there...

Our coach, the first thing he said when asked about the incident was the club hoped the kid was all right and that was the main concern in the whole incident, so again you are wide of the mark.

As to the bump, Jordan got it wrong and will cop weeks... was clearly a football act that went marginally wrong so no real need to throw himself at the mercy of the football public, ala Tom Stewart, who ran past the ball to bump Prestia.

Just look at the reaction of the Richmond players to the hit on Prestia ... they immediately went ballistic at Stewart. Compare that with the West Coast players, right there, who could see Jordan's hit was in the course of play, although it's clear in the 2023 game it's not acceptable.

So DeGoey will cop his weeks, which 99.9pc of Collingwood fans think is correct, but the character assassinations and vitriol being spat out over this incident are way over the top.

Jordan reportedly reached out to check on the kid on Sunday night, so a fail there...

Our coach, the first thing he said when asked about the incident was the club hoped the kid was all right and that was the main concern in the whole incident, so again you are wide of the mark.

As to the bump, Jordan got it wrong and will cop weeks... was clearly a football act that went marginally wrong so no real need to throw himself at the mercy of the football public, ala Tom Stewart, who ran past the ball to bump Prestia.

Just look at the reaction of the Richmond players to the hit on Prestia ... they immediately went ballistic at Stewart. Compare that with the West Coast players, right there, who could see Jordan's hit was in the course of play, although it's clear in the 2023 game it's not acceptable.

So DeGoey will cop his weeks, which 99.9pc of Collingwood fans think is correct, but the character assassinations and vitriol being spat out over this incident are way over the top.

I said 'I hope he reached out' - so I'm glad to hear that he has, thanks for letting me know.

The vitriol I think is more in response to the fact that people like Bucks and McGuane are basically blaming the kid, over accepting that it was Jordy's responsibility.

Re: the Stewart hit, while an awful incident, people overlook the fact that he didn't actually 'run past the ball.' I've watched it several times, and Prestia jumps in the air and goes to tap it on to his teammate running by. This is literally a split second before Stewart collects him. Prior to the point of impact, Stewart is running full pelt and does indeed look to be trying to disposess Prestia, but when he drops after jumping, Stewart is no longer aligned with his body, and instead in line with his head - and knocks Prestia out at full pace, while clumsily protecting himself with his elbows in and 'bumping.'

Unlike Prestia just standing there and Stewart ironing him out, Prestia being in the air to tap it on is where Stewart completely misjudged and got it wrong. He shouldn't have ran at him at full pace in the first place, which is where the whole thing went to shit. Should have just tried to tackle and given away the free, rather than hurting a player and missing 4 weeks - which I'll never understand how players don't realize this.

I say this is because I legitimately believe that the majority of players do not look to harm, but just get things wrong. Much like Stewart and Prestia though, De Goey got it wrong and Hewett is the one who suffers from his poor judgement - not the other way around, as some in the media are trying desperately to infer.

Last edited:
The vitriol I think is more in response to the fact that people like Bucks and McGuane are basically blaming the kid, over accepting that it was Jordy's responsibility.
The vitriol is because its JDG. Every time he is mentioned for anything other than elite on-field performances, the hyenas pounce on MSM and SM. He got it wrong and will cop his weeks. Don't try and tell me the character assassinations on him are because of Buckley and co ( who actually did not say what you claim). Why would you do that for something he didn't say himself. Also I doubt you are that happy JDG reached out to Hewett. Its one less thing for you to attack him about which you seem to love.

I agree with this. Don't think it was a dirty hit at all, just late. He'll cop his weeks and move forward.

Eagles players not remonstrating (even though it wasn't a dirty hit) should be Standing Up For Your Teammate 101. Just a poor reflection on the team.

The "outrage" from the mostly Vic-based media for a tweet/post by the club and a comment made by Sheed is what pisses me off the most. Absolutely no issue with either yet the club/player shrink under the scrutiny and apologise. Absolutely gutless and shows you where the club is at as a whole.

The vitriol is because its JDG. Every time he is mentioned for anything other than elite on-field performances, the hyenas pounce on MSM and SM. He got it wrong and will cop his weeks. Don't try and tell me the character assassinations on him are because of Buckley and co ( who actually did not say what you claim). Why would you do that for something he didn't say himself. Also I doubt you are that happy JDG reached out to Hewett. Its one less thing for you to attack him about which you seem to love.

I think you might have me confused with someone else, as I've literally made two posts on this subject, and the last thing I said was 'I don't think players intentionally set out to do these things.'

Relax mate. I was genuinely happy to hear that he reached out, as I do like to believe the best in people. Don't try to impugn my character or imply I'm something I'm not - when I've not attacked you nor any other poster on here. In fact I 'liked' the other Collingwood poster's post - so I'm not on some 'mission' to bring Jordy down, as you seem to believe.

He'll get his whack, and we'll move on. Bucks did say that it was Hewett's responsibility to protect himself and that duty of care was being moved completely away from the offending player...so I did actually interpret that correctly, contrary to what you're suggesting. Ditto McGuane. I'm not the first person to comment on this either, as there's already pages of discussion on their comments.

Leave it there.

The muted outrage on Pickett's 2 weeks
Nah, people wanted Pickett gone for a month too.
I think DeGropey was a little slower than Pickett, also the outcome was worse.
Ergo, the penalty should be harsher.

I said 'I hope he reached out' - so I'm glad to hear that he has, thanks for letting me know.

Re: the Stewart hit, while an awful incident, people overlook the fact that he didn't actually 'run past the ball.' I've watched it several times, and Prestia jumps in the air and goes to tap it on to his teammate running by. This is literally a split second before Stewart collects him. Prior to the point of impact, Stewart is running full pelt and does indeed look to be trying to disposess Prestia, but when he drops after jumping, Stewart is no longer aligned with his body, and instead in line with his head - and knocks Prestia out at full pace, while clumsily protecting himself with his elbows in and 'bumping.'

Unlike Prestia just standing there and Stewart ironing him out, Prestia being in the air to tap it on is where Stewart completely misjudged and got it wrong. He shouldn't have ran at him at full pace in the first place, which is where the whole thing went to s**t. Should have just tried to tackle and given away the free, rather than hurting a player and missing 4 weeks - which I'll never understand how players don't realize this.

I say this is because I legitimately believe that the majority of players do not look to harm, but just get things wrong. Much like Stewart and Prestia though, De Goey got it wrong and Hewett is the one who suffers from his poor judgement - not the other way around, as some in the media are trying desperately to infer.

Yeah fair enough. And I agree, I don't see Stewart as a dirty player because of that one incident where he clearly got it wrong. It's an illustration that things are happening quickly around these guys, and these are not king hit-type scenarios.

I did not see what McGuane said but i did hear Bucks on SEN and i think it's overblown to say he was inferring the problem lay with Hewett. He said a more experienced mid may not have been so exposed to a bump. Which is not really an earth-shattering revelation. Bucks agreed that Jordy got his bump wrong and would cop a deserved ban. He was mostly railing against Clickbait Kane Cornes, who invoked Bali, New York, 18-year-old helpless rookie, among other irrelevant things in his bleating assessment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ginnivan would've ducked into it.

Ask yourself what teh reaction would've been if N.Daicos wore the same bump?

Would've been calls for gaol time for the offending player in the Vic Media, instead of blaming Daicos for being hit.

Players would have stuck up for him that's for sure.

Yeah fair enough. And I agree, I don't see Stewart as a dirty player because of that one incident where he clearly got it wrong. It's an illustration that things are happening quickly around these guys, and these are not king hit-type scenarios.

I did not see what McGuane said but i did hear Bucks on SEN and i think it's overblown to say he was inferring the problem lay with Hewett. He said a more experienced mid may not have been so exposed to a bump. Which is not really an earth-shattering revelation. Bucks agreed that Jordy got his bump wrong and would cop a deserved ban. He was mostly railing against Clickbait Kane Cornes, who invoked Bali, New York, 18-year-old helpless rookie, among other irrelevant things in his bleating assessment.

All fair, but the fact remains that if you choose to bump, no responsibility lies with the oppo player. You're putting your destiny in the hands of the fates when you go the hip and shoulder - and doubly so when you leave the ground.

Also doing it to a kid is probably where a ton of the outrage comes from - much like Gaff on Brayshaw.

He'll cop his whack and we'll all move on. Sad though, because I really thought De Goey was having a career season and was in AA/Brownlow contention. Hard to see him making the former given so many weeks likely to be missed, and ineligible for the latter given this incident.

Still could win a Norm Smith if you guys make the GF, which I think you just might.

I viewed it as dumb rather than dirty. Not sure which is worse tbh.

Must be frustrating as a Pies supporter to lose one of your best players for 3-4 weeks because he decided to iron out the 22nd guy picked on the 18th placed team while 4 goals up.

What a moron.
Actually ruined the day for me on Sunday. My wife thought we’d lost because I was a Debbie downer afterwards and she didn’t hear the club song being blasted.

A pretty stupid thing to do considering you want to get through those games with 4 points and no injuries/suspensions.

Action vs outcome tonight.
Action was not as bad as pickett on smith which I regard as the benchmark, but the outcome was worse.

You'd expect it's 2 weeks
How can it only be two weeks? The victim misses two games so it should be at least 4 in my opinion so the player committing the offence is worse off by a margin.

This one is an open and shut case. Chooses to bump, leaves the ground = more damage and the book thrown at him. Stewart was the same except he didn't jump and it was a tall player vs a short player. De Goey is 2cm taller than Hewett so jumping really makes the head contact the only outcome.

How can it only be two weeks? The victim misses two games so it should be at least 4 in my opinion so the player committing the offence is worse off by a margin.

Strange logic.

If he had bumped Paddy McCartin, and McCartin, due to his history, missed half a season, that mean JDG’s punishment should also be half a season?

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back