MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

How can it only be two weeks? The victim misses two games so it should be at least 4 in my opinion so the player committing the offence is worse off by a margin.

This one is an open and shut case. Chooses to bump, leaves the ground = more damage and the book thrown at him. Stewart was the same except he didn't jump and it was a tall player vs a short player. De Goey is 2cm taller than Hewett so jumping really makes the head contact the only outcome.

Do you understand what action vs outcome means?

Strange logic.

If he had bumped Paddy McCartin, and McCartin, due to his history, missed half a season, that mean JDG’s punishment should also be half a season?
If you knock someone out, they miss the remainder of the current game and next week by the new rules. Any thing that a player does outside the rules needs to take this into consideration, not some sort of made up scenario if someone is out for six months. I'm talking about every normal concussion from now on.

Therefore 3 weeks is just 1 week extra than the victim gets. 3 is not enough if the player is doing completely the wrong thing and has a choice. 2 is a joke.

Action vs outcome tonight.
Action was not as bad as pickett on smith which I regard as the benchmark, but the outcome was worse.

You'd expect it's 2 weeks
If it was 2 weeks he wouldn't be at the tribunal.

Action was not as bad as pickett on smith which I regard as the benchmark, but the outcome was worse.

The Pickett case looks more and more ridiculous as the weeks go on. Its not the benchmark you should be using.

Do you understand what action vs outcome means?
Yep and the AFL have shown to prefer to punish the outcome rather than the action. Hence why Pickett got two weeks when the action looked worse but the outcome was better.

De Goey's outcome should mean a 4 week holiday as the action wasn't exactly a legal bump gone wrong.

How can it only be two weeks? The victim misses two games so it should be at least 4 in my opinion so the player committing the offence is worse off by a margin.

This one is an open and shut case. Chooses to bump, leaves the ground = more damage and the book thrown at him. Stewart was the same except he didn't jump and it was a tall player vs a short player. De Goey is 2cm taller than Hewett so jumping really makes the head contact the only outcome.

The Pickett case looks more and more ridiculous as the weeks go on. Its not the benchmark you should be using.
so how did it happen? can anyone explain? if we just tear up precedents because they didn't make sense where the hell does that leave us?

so how did it happen? can anyone explain? if we just tear up precedents because they didn't make sense where the hell does that leave us?
It is great that we are now using precedents as the AFL use to just make it up from scratch every time. It doesn't mean that Picketts and De Goeys hits are similar as the outcome was different.

I think it is fair that it becomes a basis of the charge though and any near ball hits could mean

2 weeks for the hit.
2 weeks for the concussion.

= 4 weeks

Stewart & De Goey the same, Pickett a very lucky boy.

From the live blog it seems they're opening with the Good Bloke Defence.
Tarryn Thomas should take note next time he's in trouble with the MRO.

I'm not sure. But there are plenty of other examples of actions like degoey that have lead to more than the 2 pickett got. Look at Mcadam from round 1 or Stewart on Prestia last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He jumped off the ground. He should get 5 but will get 2-3 because of the club he plays for.
Yep just amazing that people are trying to call is a dumb mistake rather than a dirty act …he had heaps of options and could see the play from a mile away and still approached it with a direct jump bump to the head to a player that no longer had the ball and wasn’t in play

So because he didn’t mean to do it and feels bad it resulted in an injury he should get less weeks?

Do they not understand he’s already had a discount applied for that - by it being rated “careless” not “intentional”?

Lol the tribunal is probably dumb enough to buy it but that doesn’t make sense. You don’t get an extra discount on the discount for being careless.

Yep just amazing that people are trying to call is a dumb mistake rather than a dirty act …he had heaps of options and could see the play from a mile away and still approached it with a direct jump bump to the head to a player that no longer had the ball and wasn’t in play

And I bet the same people would all be championing his amazing instincts and reflexes if it was a quick snap at goal.

Apparently you can’t stop yourself from bumping in a split second (even though most players do) but you can gather and snap in a split second but that’s different

Pickett got off light IMO, should have been 5-6 weeks as a minimum and that would have set the standard for what was to come after that incident.

De Goey deserves the same 5-6 week penalty if the AFL are serious about eliminating cheap shots & head high hits.

MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back