Death to St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally have always believed St.Kilda's 'window' closed when they axed Malcolm Blight and Grant Thomas took over.

Everyone will realise it much much later though.

on this ed i agree 1000%. worlds worst decision.

the video posted by mars (i think) yesterday about luke ball, showing thomas' ugly head actually made me sad for the saints - for a few seconds anyway.

Gee, what a lot of nonsense. Have another look at the two grand finals. I reckon St Kilda performed a lot like we did in 2009 when we were bustled out in the finals. They won't fall apart this year and will have learned a lot from 2010. Players like Gwilt and Dawson will continue to lift, and they have some promising kids. There were lots of moments in the grand finals when they were playing better than we were. And much as I think Chris Lyon botched one or two things, I think he's got genuine substance as a coach. Remember what Maxy said after the drawn gf: "If it had gone to extra time we would have lost." This year every club will be trying to emulate our "swarm", and the one closest is St Kilda. Personally I'm a bit anxious about them.

Great call Lenz, the fact that you can't even get Lyon's first name right though really makes it look like your talking out of your arse!:D

We missed out on a GF by four points and a contentious decision.

You should be happy about that, it saved you the embrassment of the 2007 record being broken.

I hate to think what would have happened if we were 81 points up 10 minutes into the 2nd half and didn't put the cue in the rack to prepare for the next week, but it sure would have been ugly for Geelong :thumbsu:

You should be happy about that, it saved you the embrassment of the 2007 record being broken.

I hate to think what would have happened if we were 81 points up 10 minutes into the 2nd half and didn't put the cue in the rack to prepare for the next week, but it sure would have been ugly for Geelong :thumbsu:

The wobbles set in in the grand final though. That third quarter you guys played appaulingly and had you been up against a Geelong or a Hawtthorn, I reckon you would have got beaten because their forwards are much better as well as their midfield. Not being biased but everything went right for you in that game in the first half and it was too late by the time we started to beat you outr of the middle and score. The game was only 41 points for a reason and even my Collingwood mates agree with my contention. If you grt shutdown in the first quarter you lose. That is why you lost to Geelong the first time, Hawthorn in round 22, St Kilda in round 3 only just beat Melbourne in Round 2. Against us you kicked accurately and scored quickly in the first half and won it there and we had no chance of coming back.

The drawn game against Melbourne was a good example of what happens when you fail to hit your game plan and can be detrimental to you.

Not a crybaby response but just a rational analysis of what happened. Collingwood fans supporters in the area I was sitting were starting to get worried in the third when Geelong started to get a run and saying I hope it doesn't turn out like this next week which is almost did for you guys. Biger irony was Ablet was best on ground :p.

You guys were the best in 2010 but 2011 is a new season and it all starts again. Take it from me that no matter how good you are there is only one dayu that counts and that is the one day in September or October as it is now.

Geelong in 08 is a wside so dominate that they were nearly unbeatable but lost it when it counts.

Back on topic. Death to Shit Kilda :).!

The above is a post full of junk and bitterness. Whenever an opposition supporter resorts to bringin up the wobbles and and game from mid season where WE DIDNT LOSE is completely ludicrous. Port Adelaide showed everyone how Geelongs game plan can fail in 2007, and yet we both still won the flag in our respective years. Yeah i know, its a crock of shit.

And as for IF we had played a Geelong or Hawthorn in the GF, we'd have probably already been up by 81 points at that time but hey, who's counting? :D I dont believe the Cats are done but the void left by Ablett may show some holes in the Selwood and Bartel styles without him there. There now isn't much pace in that midfield of theirs and I can;t see anyone streaming out of the middle, taking a bounce and kicking a goal from 50 anymore.

And yes, it was a crybaby response from yourself.

That third quarter you guys played appallingly and had you been up against a Geelong or a Hawthorn
You make laugh. That wasn't going to happen was it, we'd already smashed you out of final contention in the prelim. As far a geelong chances this year no Abblett means no top four.
ps-do you like my avatar

Not sure I agree with you on your 1st qtr theory. When we lost to Geelong it was 1.3 (Cats) v 1.2 (Pies) at qtr time, the Hawks game it was 1.1 (Hawks) vs 1.5 (Pies) at quarter time, Saints rd 3 it was 2.2 (Saints) v 1.4 (Pies). The two games where we got shut down and the opposition scored reasonably in 2010 we won both of them (Melb and Port).

One important reason why we fell away against the Saints in the 2nd half of the drawn GF was because our goal kicking was poor. I think we kicked something like 2.9 from just before the half time siren. When that happens and the opposition score it changes the momentum and gives the scoring team a huge boost.

So who's to say against Geelong or Hawthorn we would have been in that situation to start with? Different game plan, less pressure on the players (Saints play defensive footy) maybe we would of had more open shots and players like Fisher and Gilbert wouldn't have been there to chop every attack off. Pies didn't play well in the 1st GF I'll give you that, but nobody knows how they would of handled a different team.

I think only 4 sides can win the flag, Stkilda, Adelaide, Collingwood and Hawthorn.

What's with everyone (No offense Mattys123) rating Hawthorn?

They have possibly one of the worst back lines in the comp, there midfield is slower than a wet week and have a heap of front runners in their side.

I know Buddy is a gun but Roughy is so overrated after 1 good year (2008) its not funny!

Then they picked up an aging Bruce (great player) and another ruck in Hale (bum).

For me its Collingwood, WB, Adelaide & Freo.

The above is a post full of junk and bitterness. Whenever an opposition supporter resorts to bringin up the wobbles and and game from mid season where WE DIDNT LOSE is completely ludicrous. Port Adelaide showed everyone how Geelongs game plan can fail in 2007, and yet we both still won the flag in our respective years. Yeah i know, its a crock of shit.

And as for IF we had played a Geelong or Hawthorn in the GF, we'd have probably already been up by 81 points at that time but hey, who's counting? :D I dont believe the Cats are done but the void left by Ablett may show some holes in the Selwood and Bartel styles without him there. There now isn't much pace in that midfield of theirs and I can;t see anyone streaming out of the middle, taking a bounce and kicking a goal from 50 anymore.

And yes, it was a crybaby response from yourself.
Don't worry that poster is a known whiner.

You make laugh. That wasn't going to happen was it, we'd already smashed you out of final contention in the prelim. As far a geelong chances this year no Abblett means no top four.
ps-do you like my avatar

Without Ablett as a midfielder we made the preliminary in 2004 after a top 4 finish before he was good like he is today.

Not sure I agree with you on your 1st qtr theory. When we lost to Geelong it was 1.3 (Cats) v 1.2 (Pies) at qtr time, the Hawks game it was 1.1 (Hawks) vs 1.5 (Pies) at quarter time, Saints rd 3 it was 2.2 (Saints) v 1.4 (Pies). The two games where we got shut down and the opposition scored reasonably in 2010 we won both of them (Melb and Port).

One important reason why we fell away against the Saints in the 2nd half of the drawn GF was because our goal kicking was poor. I think we kicked something like 2.9 from just before the half time siren. When that happens and the opposition score it changes the momentum and gives the scoring team a huge boost.

So who's to say against Geelong or Hawthorn we would have been in that situation to start with? Different game plan, less pressure on the players (Saints play defensive footy) maybe we would of had more open shots and players like Fisher and Gilbert wouldn't have been there to chop every attack off. Pies didn't play well in the 1st GF I'll give you that, but nobody knows how they would of handled a different team.

The top poster, you may have smashed us out of contention in the prelim but that is not my point. The grand Final is a different story and had we had that week off and come in fresh I think you would have found the result would have been different and maybe closer for the game. Does this really need me to remind you of 2003 and Brisvegas?

Port and Melbourne you should have both beaten anyway regardless of a slow start. This goes for any team in the top 4 against any team in that position Melbourne were in. Collingwood's gameplan which they were masters of involved two things. Starting strongly in the first quarter/half and rotating players. This was known to be how tyhey played and their weakness was a dodgy forwardline accuracy. Before the half time siren in the drawn grand final you were 7 goals 8 behinds 50 and thus I don't know where you get this from?

I don't know how you can say that because the Saint's play defensive football that this places more pressure on the players. Hawthorn's gameplan is the opposite, attacking footy and this is what troubled you in round 22 when they managed to get the ball to Buddy who kicked 6 goals or more and has done this multiple times.

Geelong's gameplan is to get it out of the middle and keep it moving. Collingwood beat Geelong's gameplan twice because Bomber failed to change the gameplan because it was easily beatable and the same goes for 2008.

A key reason Collingwood was able to run rings around Geelong is that two of their best backmen being Milburn and Hunt struggled and especially Milburn due to his lack of speed between 09 and 10. In 09 our backline destroyed your forwards who were the same as you played in 10. This was shown in the preliminary final and was a key criticism. It was also a reason a lot of people were surprised we signed him again for 2011 at 34.

We can all say ifs and buts but this is how I analysed the current situation and so did others. To Prestigerry, if you want to talk about sooking, do I really need to remind you of the sook you had about Cam Mooney having More Afl Premiershipas then your entire club. Not to mention the owing comment you got in reply? Bit of a pot meeting the kettle mate.

My point is you can't say Collingwood would have lost against Hawthorn or Geelong because obviously we would have been playing a different team from the opening bounce. To say if Geelong was in the same position as St Kilda at half time would have beaten Collingwood is stupid. Collingwood might have been up by 10 goals at that point against another team.

Collingwood had a massive amount of forward 50 entries in the drawn GF, most of them were chopped off by 2 players, so that's why I talked about those points. You even pointed out yourself that Milburn and Hunt weren't up to it. Who's to say it wouldn't have been a repeat of the PF?

My point is you can't say Collingwood would have lost against Hawthorn or Geelong because obviously we would have been playing a different team from the opening bounce. To say if Geelong was in the same position as St Kilda at half time would have beaten Collingwood is stupid. Collingwood might have been up by 10 goals at that point against another team.

Collingwood had a massive amount of forward 50 entries in the drawn GF, most of them were chopped off by 2 players, so that's why I talked about those points. You even pointed out yourself that Milburn and Hunt weren't up to it. Who's to say it wouldn't have been a repeat of the PF?

THis post is a mystery and I don't know where you pull this point from but I will sya this.

No but Scarlett and Taylor were. Considering that out of your first 8 or 9 scoring shots you scored goals from then this is an example of everything going right for you and the same goes for us when we do it and any other team for that matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without Ablett as a midfielder we made the preliminary in 2004 after a top 4 finish before he was good like he is today.

The top poster, you may have smashed us out of contention in the prelim but that is not my point. The grand Final is a different story and had we had that week off and come in fresh I think you would have found the result would have been different and maybe closer for the game. Does this really need me to remind you of 2003 and Brisvegas?

Port and Melbourne you should have both beaten anyway regardless of a slow start. This goes for any team in the top 4 against any team in that position Melbourne were in. Collingwood's gameplan which they were masters of involved two things. Starting strongly in the first quarter/half and rotating players. This was known to be how tyhey played and their weakness was a dodgy forwardline accuracy. Before the half time siren in the drawn grand final you were 7 goals 8 behinds 50 and thus I don't know where you get this from?

I don't know how you can say that because the Saint's play defensive football that this places more pressure on the players. Hawthorn's gameplan is the opposite, attacking footy and this is what troubled you in round 22 when they managed to get the ball to Buddy who kicked 6 goals or more and has done this multiple times.

Geelong's gameplan is to get it out of the middle and keep it moving. Collingwood beat Geelong's gameplan twice because Bomber failed to change the gameplan because it was easily beatable and the same goes for 2008.

A key reason Collingwood was able to run rings around Geelong is that two of their best backmen being Milburn and Hunt struggled and especially Milburn due to his lack of speed between 09 and 10. In 09 our backline destroyed your forwards who were the same as you played in 10. This was shown in the preliminary final and was a key criticism. It was also a reason a lot of people were surprised we signed him again for 2011 at 34.

We can all say ifs and buts but this is how I analysed the current situation and so did others. To Prestigerry, if you want to talk about sooking, do I really need to remind you of the sook you had about Cam Mooney having More Afl Premiershipas then your entire club. Not to mention the owing comment you got in reply? Bit of a pot meeting the kettle mate.

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda.

Im sorry but your posts are all 'what ifs' which makes them totally irrelevant and shit.

What's with everyone (No offense Mattys123) rating Hawthorn?

They have possibly one of the worst back lines in the comp, there midfield is slower than a wet week and have a heap of front runners in their side.

I know Buddy is a gun but Roughy is so overrated after 1 good year (2008) its not funny!

Then they picked up an aging Bruce (great player) and another ruck in Hale (bum).

For me its Collingwood, WB, Adelaide & Freo.

I think you under rate them. Personally I am not scared of them, but they are an unknown who, if things go the right way could challenge us.

There defence is weak one on one but defence now days is so much about structure, St Kilda for example are no better for one on one defenders. The have a solid key back and a couple of promising developing ones, if say Schoonemakers comes on in leaps and bounds and they use a different defensive structure (they almost certainly will this year) that could change.

Their midfield is slow but a fit Cyril and Burgoyne changes that pretty quickly, their ruck is still a problem but they probably have the best inside mid combo in the game. Hodge, Burgoyne and Mitchell has the potential to be pretty damaging.

Roughhead isn't over rated IMO. He may not play up to standard enough but he is a high quality talant one of the best contested marks in the league.

If they get the right structure and gel and a couple of guys show that burst of development that suprises outsiders (like Wellingham and Reid showed this year) they could certainly challenge.

For mine Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, St Kilda and Adeliade could all win it this year depending on how things go, but we have every right to be confident that it will be us.

THis post is a mystery and I don't know where you pull this point from but I will sya this.

No but Scarlett and Taylor were. Considering that out of your first 8 or 9 scoring shots you scored goals from then this is an example of everything going right for you and the same goes for us when we do it and any other team for that matter.
Probs not a lot of point replying now that you've been red carded but I think my last post went over your head. Who's to say we would have only kicked 7 goals in a half against Geelong or Hawthorn? And what's it matter anyway? It's almost like saying if the current Collingwood side played in the 70's they would have won every game. It doesn't matter because it didn't happen, and on top of that it's all speculation.

I think that the biggest problem with the Saints will be in their heads. Three day grand finals and one pre season GF in a 12 month period and they couldn't win any of them.

People talked about the Colliwobbles, that is nothing compared to what the Saints have suffered, what is it, one win overall in 7 or 8 appearances. That is a really shit strike rate, and will come to affect them mentally when finals draw near again this season.

I think that the biggest problem with the Saints will be in their heads. Three day grand finals and one pre season GF in a 12 month period and they couldn't win any of them.

People talked about the Colliwobbles, that is nothing compared to what the Saints have suffered, what is it, one win overall in 7 or 8 appearances. That is a really shit strike rate, and will come to affect them mentally when finals draw near again this season.
I also find it ironic that the biggest howls of "Colliewobbles" I've been hearing are from Cats supporters. I mean seriously don't they know their history. For the past 50 years they have basically been a lesser version of us.

Great call Lenz, the fact that you can't even get Lyon's first name right though really makes it look like your talking out of your arse!:D

Didaicos, all that little error means is that I really don't give a toss for St Kilda, and can't even reliably remember the coach's name. But so what? Please try to learn to address the issues raised in a post in a moderate manner.

You talk about Bomber not adjusting the game plan when we played you guys, but the same can be said about MM not adjusting to what StKilda did in the second half of the drawn GF. MM let Goddard do as he pleased and it was as if he has a contagious decease, no one when near him.

As for Geelong coming again I have my doubts. The loss of Abblet is huge and any change in game plan takes time to adjust to. I don't think that you will fall away but I don't think you can win the flag. History is against you for starters. Your team is strong but it lacks pace and your forward line is suspect. Your average age is a worry and it’s a long season. There will be weeks were you will look like world beaters and there will be weeks were you will look average.

As for Collingwood accuracy I was looking through Collingwood year book and I was surprised that Collingwood ranked 2nd behind the Bulldogs for accuracy (WB 56.4% Coll 55.95%). Collingwood accuracy was of concern in a handful of games. One could say that we don't do things in half measures, when we were bad we were real bad.

All that being said there is still allot of improvement in this list the only question is are they hungry enough to win another one.

As for StKilda falling away I also doubt that as well although if I were them I would be looking behind them because there are other teams starting to make some noise.

The Saints need to kick a decent score....they tried the defensive rubbish for 2 years and failed in 2 GF's. Unless they get some firepower up forward to help kick goals they will struggle to win the big one IMO.

One of the biggest problems for not only the Saints but all the other teams is that I think Collingwood has quite a lot of improvement left in them, particularly in Dawes and Cloke. It's not hard to imagine them both kicking 50+ goals in 2011. Pies need things to go their way to win another premiership but there are so many players that can still improve.

I hate the Saints and I do wish em death but before they do die, I wanna see them add to the wooden spoon collection. I cant stand them their fans are worse then Carltanks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Death to St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back