Certified Legendary Thread Deathriding Dogga's Dockers in 2023

Where do Dogga's Dockers finish in 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay Freo's First Round Draft Pick fans, here's where we stand.

This is the ladder:

Untitled.jpg

Here's Freo's schedule:

Bris (H)
WC (A)
Port (H)
Haw (A)

And here's the schedule for the 6 teams above Freo:

Geelong:

Port (H)
Coll (A)
St. K (A)
WB (H)

Sydney:

GWS (A)
GC (H)
Adel (A)

Melb (H)

Richmond:

WB (A)
St. K (A)
NM (H)
Port (A)

Adelaide:

GC (H)
Bris (A)
Syd (H)
WC (A)

Essendon:

WC (H)
NM (A)

GWS (A)
Coll (H)

Gold Coast:

Adel (A)
Syd (A)

Carl (H)
NM (A)

There are three major obstacles to Freo climbing the ladder. Namely:

• Gold Coast, Adelaide and Sydney all play each other, which means they're either all guaranteed either 1 win each, or guaranteed to have one of those teams win twice, another once.
  • Three of the teams play either WC or NM once, and Essendon get to play both of them, which you can obviously pen in as likely wins.
  • Freo have the worst percentage of all these teams. At this stage of the season, each percentage point represents a difference of ~15 points in game, which puts them ~90 points behind GC, ~140 points behind Essendon and around ~400 points behind Adelaide. In other words, to catch up with GC they would need to win by 45 points, where GC lose by 45 points, or some equivalent combination, and so on for the other teams.

If we mark down all the WC and NM games as wins for the respective teams, then if Freo win 2 of their remaining 4 games, then the absolute highest they can finish is 13th, giving us pick 6. This, however, would depend on both:

• GC losing their next three games, AND Freo making up the ~90 point deficit they have with GC to pass them on percentage; OR Sydney losing all four of their games. (Because Sydney and GC play each other, only one of these outcomes is possible.)
  • Geelong losing all 4 of their games.

If neither of these things happen, then 2 wins will see Freo finish 15th and give us pick 4.

This basically means that Freo likely need to win 3 of their last 4 games to deny us pick 4, at which point there are too many different permutations to calculate and it becomes impossible to say where our pick will end up. The dark horse here to watch out for is Geelong, who have a really tough run home and could conceivably still end up bottom 4. The silver lining, of course, is that Freo climbing the ladder will depend on them beating at least one of Brisbane or Port, which would do our top 2 chances the world of good even as it worsens our draft hand.

Last edited:

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Thank god Essendon got over the line. Could have done with a percentage booster there, but they're 9.5% ahead of Freo now, which should be enough to see them finish higher than Freo so long as they beat North next week.

Gold Coast coming home strong against Adelaide. I think we'd prefer them to win, but a narrow win for Adelaide wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Wins to Sydney and Geelong tonight will mean that Freo will almost certainly have to win 3 out of their last 4 to have any chance of getting out of the bottom 5.

This straddles the deathride and the draft/trade/FA thread.

Here’s another anti-deathride dimension. We want Richmond and GWS to keep winning. Why?

GWS have Richmond’s 1st rounder and their own 1st rounder.

If both Richmond and GWS win more games it dilutes GWS’ draft hand, and they are the only team aside from Melbourne that looks likely to be able to satisfy Gold Coast with a points trade for Gold Coast’s 2023 1st rounder. Right now GWS could blow any Melbourne offer to GC out of the water if they wanted to.

If GWS do beat Melbourne to the punch for GC’s 1st rounder, GWS won’t be able to satisfy West Coast to get pick 1 with draft picks alone.

GWS’ Himmelberg re-signing was massive good news for Melbourne. If he’d left as a free agent that would’ve likely generated another mid teens 1st round compensation pick. GWS would’ve still been able to blow Melbourne out of the water with an offer to GC, and then have that GC 1st round pick plus still have another teens 1st rounder and a 2024 first rounder. That would’ve probably been enough for West Coast to seriously consider trading their pick 1 overall.

The way it looks now I can’t see any team other than Melbourne being able to get to having something that WC would consider for pick 1. The wildcard would be clubs starting to throw some serious young and proven players into the mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d rather Brisbane win, but that’s because I think we can overtake them in percentage.
Yeah brisbane win by a goal or a point or something, Win Win

Ideal result here is a 1pt Brisbane win
If we win out from here (or if Collingwood beat Brisbane) – Carlton and Sydney games are all of a sudden much tougher than they looked previously.

Still, I'm that invested in the deathride that I'll still be going for a Brisbane win I think, lol

whydontwehaveboth.gif

Brisbane can lose a different game in the next 3 weeks instead
We have a rampaging Carlton, the Hawks who just knocked over the Pies by 8 goals, and Sydney back in the finals hunt in a big way to come.

I'm a huge fan of the death ride, I watch every Freo game, but we need to look after ourselves first.

We have a rampaging Carlton, the Hawks who just knocked over the Pies by 8 goals, and Sydney back in the finals hunt in a big way to come.

I'm a huge fan of the death ride, I watch every Freo game, but we need to look after ourselves first.

Brisbane have Adelaide, Saints and Collingwood to come. Not exactly easy for them either

Definitely want a Freo win. Don't care if it costs us a draft spot in the slightest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

wrong thread for this take, on your bike :mountainbiker:

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Deathriding Dogga's Dockers in 2023

Back