Review Dees in hell to the tune of 50!

Remove this Banner Ad

IF we had won both games in Adelaide we’d be second too.
IF statements have no bearing on reality.
Melbourne are now a very average team. Gawn back will help but they have got serious issues around the stoppage and clearance.
What it does show is how lightweight statements rating wins as "not against top 8 sides" are. Always early in the season, but also in a season as even at the top end as this. The "second seed" mantle gets handed out on the media to whatever team du jour who has a few rounds beating up on out of form teams or strugglers.

Coaches votes:

9 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
9 Caleb Serong (FRE)
6 Josh Treacy (FRE)
4 Hayden Young (FRE)
1 Brandon Walker (FRE)
1 Michael Walters (FRE)

Was sad how May was trying to bully a couple of 20 year olds. Hope he's still playing in 3 years time when they are both at their peak and filled out physically. Treacy needs to be a lesson for people to not judge young players too quickly. The leap he's made from last year to this year is insane.

Most overrated key defender of the 21st century.

Wasn’t that good at Gold Coast and isn’t any good without Lever doing half his work for him.

The guy the sits in front of me is the biggest moron, just a complete nuffy who wouldn't know a footy if it hit him in the head
gee i hope i don't sit in front of you

re JOM, i remember seeing him in defensive transition sometime in the last quarter, absolutely looked like usain bolt out there
Seemed to have leaned up? Definitely added running to his repertoire rather then bulk/inside game he was known for at Hawthorn and Gold Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andy is Mick with more zip. All heart and massively underrated.
Hayden is maybe Fyfe but with a better kick.
Caleb is a young Lachie Neale.
MJ can hopefully grow into a Mundy.

Darcy is a Sandi level tap ruckman.

And then there’s Jacko who can be anything.

I hope we can keep them all together until we win one.

Andy is Mick with more zip. All heart and massively underrated.
Hayden is maybe Fyfe but with a better kick.
Caleb is a young Lachie Neale.
MJ can hopefully grow into a Mundy.

Darcy is a Sandi level tap ruckman.

And then there’s Jacko who can be anything.

I hope we can keep them all together until we win one.
Andy is the only one we need to re-sign and he isn’t going anywhere

Last edited:
Some great posts and views expressed here; can tell we're getting our heads around being a force. Ultimately the only thing that stopped us destroying the Dees yesterday was straight kicking.

One aspect to keep an eye on in the pressure out of the middle - last week against the Hawks showed we could scrap it out and still play our game (huge step forward for mine there), but those Dogs and Eagles defeats still bring a bit of doubt in this area. We predominantly deal with it with grunt and speed: here's where Fyfe and Jackson need to improve - both are amazing at disrupting and Fyfe is especially good at off loading to advantage, but both take their time on the ball; against fiercer opponents they'll have to think quicker.

Young: Don't know what else to say, genuine top 5 midfielder and top 3 i50 kick in the comp. Hard as a cats head, great technique and sublime vision. If he improves further, heading into generational territory.

Brayshaw: As Snuff said, it's great to have him back. No one runs harder both ways, essentially gives us a spare man if his matchup isn't going full pelt. His defensive nous and effort is the best in the comp. Saved 2 goals at least yesterday with smothers/last ditch tackles.

Serong: Metronomic to the point of boring. Supreme extractor, lightning hands and now starting to add goals.

Fyfe: Wise head, clearly best in a clearance/run with role now. Offloaded to danger a couple of times yesterday, so needs to tighten that up, but his blocking and space creation for others was top-notch yesterday. Hopefully keeps it up in a high pressure, quicker game. If we end up vs Carlton, I'd sit him on Cripps.

Darcy: We would've won if he'd played against the Hawks. He's vital to structure and you can see the chemistry developing with the mids. Started to clunk a few yesterday too. If he gets his marking back to '22 levels then the 'safe' kick out down the line becomes perilous for the opposition and a platform for us. Can roost it from 50 too.

Jackson: Still needs to speed up his thought process (see above), but building nicely. Good set shot; just needs to start clunking them. If he starts one-grabbing even 50% of his marks watch out - probably one of the biggest areas for short-medium improvement that I see.

Walters: Did a job yesterday, but benefited from our forward movement and Melbourne being hit on turnover. In a tight game where he has to compete and create his own space, I fear he'll be a liability (lost two-yards of pace and strength in the contest). Legend, but prefer him on the bench.

Sharp: Runs all day, holds his position and always on hand for a release. Can also slot them from 50. Last few weeks though has been a little weak in the contest and squibbed a few kicks I'd expect him to hit lace out. If he can lift for finals could be huge.

Freddie: See my previous post. X-factor on transition, great field kick and marks between the arcs. If gets his goalkicking mojo back, watch out.

JOM: Seems to have gained a yard of pace. Hard at the contest, good tackler, decision maker and delivery i50, can also kick a goal. Highly versatile. Probably bottom 6, but again this speaks to the quality of the team as opposed to issues with JOM. Important structural piece for mine.

Ryan/Cox/Pearce: If this trio is fit and firing, only the Bulldogs really worry me offensively. It was noticeable yesterday how much drive out of the back Moose gives us when Cox is there.He did it earlier in the year a bit with Draper, but he was breaking lines for fun and launching attacks brilliantly yesterday. Admittedly not amazing opponents, but he looks great. Cox has the surest hands and spoil in the comp - good to know Ryan's kick out to him is still a sure thing. Ryan is a luxury at this point, there isn't a better 3rd tall in the comp; marks, spoils, rebounds, moves up to attack - the complete package.

Wagner: Cemented his place, gives great run and is becoming incredibly consistent with his decision making and execution.

Chappy: Been a bit off defensively the last few weeks, but still very effective. Superb once the ball starts moving forward, will just need to watch taking on the man against higher pressure teams (Syd/Carl/Bris). Another who can go up a level for finals.

Clarke: AA lock. Great defender with elite closing speed. Great mark and lethal coming off half-back or and coming forward. Reckon he's good from 65m on the run. Weapon.

Walker: Was a bit fumbly (hoping just rust) and seemed a little proppy at times, but must be in the top-5 lockdown smalls in the comp. Add that he can come forward and break lines, he's an instant in for me.

Aish: Best sub in the comp.

Banners: Does his job. Big body, runs hard, tackles, and invariably comes up with an important goal from time-to-time. Also an elite defensive tagger. The fact he's bottom 6 bodes well.

Switkowski: Essentially (with Young) is the other point guard in the team. Great burst and vision, supreme link up play and hard at the contest. Been one of the big improvers benefitting from rolling the mids forward. Hopefully they'll start pronouncing his name correctly soon.

Treacy: With Darcy arguably our most important player. Supreme around the field and I loved his enforcer role for Amiss yesterday. Clunks marks, wins contests, scores, deliver i50 beautifully, and gets players hearing footsteps. In Cameron/Curnow territory.

Amiss: Still not confident in his kicking, but his movement and leading is elite. Gets up the ground well. He'll get back to 66%+ efficiency, and really start hurting teams.

Sturt: Speedy and provides good pressure on opposing defenders. Yesterday showed his value in a game; if space starts to open up at all, he's lethal. Great mark and lead and demands a man as can roost it from 50+

So that's it. There's no one there who wouldn't make at least 5-6 other sides in the comp and we still have Johnno riding the pine, with Draper, Ras, Brodie, Voss etc in reserve.

It's one of the better squads out there, has depth and no major points of weakness. I've said previously we aren't favourites, but there isn't a single side we can't beat on our day. We also play well on the road and at the G. The window is open and this team is only going to get better. The players do their jobs and it's in the hands of the footy gods. We're as well placed as anyone. Enjoy it.
Loved this write up Mr. Cheese, well done good sir :D

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees in hell to the tune of 50!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back