Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Super-mega-ultrathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's just turned 21, he has another a good 10 years and he wont hit his straps for another 2-3.

He might well be 21 but he has physical limitations (height and size) as well as skill limitations (no left side, poor hand passing skills).

I wouldn't trade and can't believe people are still talking about O'Meara.

Gold Coast wont trade O'Meara for anyone or anything IMO. They would trade Bennell, Swallow or Prestia before they trade O'meara. The kid is going to be something special if he keeps going the way he is going.

There is no harm in the Eagles targeting one of O'Meara, Bennell or Swallow when they are out of contract in 2014. However, Gold Coast are building something where they may have success in the near future, and have extra cap space to be able to keep these guys. Throw in the fact that many of the established players such as Brown and Bock will be out of contract, that opens up more cash for the youngsters.

The Eagles may be able to lure one of them home but it will be very difficult.

Tunbridge isn't an inside midfielder, he's a utility. However he's started rotating through the middle for Perth over the last two rounds. His disposal count is fine considering he's been playing forward historically, his goal count is even better. He's one of the most ambidextrous players at the club and he's a left footer, in round seven in the WAFL he had 14 disposals and he was far more damaging than Wellingham who had 28. As far has hands go he's no worse than Shuey, Scooter and Gaff, it's not a strength of his but it doesn't rule him out from playing through the middle.

He's 190cm, 90kg has superb foot skills, attacks the ball hard, is strong overhead, has solid pace and he's a known goal kicker. Another preseason and his endurance will improve further, who knows what he'll be capable of.

I'm who with the greatest potential to reach that potential. Rather than being with perpetual toilers.

Bigger bodied utility mid with pace and decent foot skills is exactly what we are looking for. :thumbsu: A Josh Kennedy Swans style big mid. Shuey, Masten and Gaff would benefit from a bigger mid to balance things up.

There is no harm in the Eagles targeting one of O'Meara, Bennell or Swallow when they are out of contract in 2014. However, Gold Coast are building something where they may have success in the near future, and have extra cap space to be able to keep these guys. Throw in the fact that many of the established players such as Brown and Bock will be out of contract, that opens up more cash for the youngsters.

Keep on offering good players what they are worth and Gold Coast will need to pay more. Over time the cap squeeze will start to bite.

Then a Matera or another player makes a move.

I agree there's no harm in trying to get O'Meara, I just don't think it will happen.

Bigger bodied utility mid with pace and decent foot skills is exactly what we are looking for. :thumbsu: A Josh Kennedy Swans style big mid. Shuey, Masten and Gaff would benefit from a bigger mid to balance things up.

There's a few big bodied midfielders to choose from in this years draft, I don't think there is a quick fix for the club without paying big time overs.

I would be loathe to trade our 1st pick this year unless we got a really good pick for Brown from GWS ,Melb or St Kilda

Never understood this.

Draft picks are just a means of acquiring talent.

If we could address an obvious flaw in our list with a known quantity - then we would be silly not to do so.

We'll probably end up with pick 10 or so. That could result in a steele sidebottom or it could be a marcus drum.

Securing a 20-24 year old midfielder with Pick 10 who could waltz in and make our midfield better is a no brainer.

Gold Coast wont trade O'Meara for anyone or anything IMO. They would trade Bennell, Swallow or Prestia before they trade O'meara. The kid is going to be something special if he keeps going the way he is going.

We traded Judd, they'll trade O'Meara if he doesn't want to be there.

However that would require O'Meara to want to go home.

We traded Judd, they'll trade O'Meara if he doesn't want to be there.

However that would require O'Meara to want to go home.

True, but thats only if he really wants to come home, (which I havent heard any reports to say that he is homesick and he's certainly not playing like his mind is on something else). If he did though, i'm sure we'd have plenty of competition from Freo and we'd have to give up a fair bit to get him. Having said all that he'd be a good get if we could because the kid looks like he could be Judd-esque in his abilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never understood this.

If we could address an obvious flaw in our list with a known quantity - then we would be silly not to do so.

We'll probably end up with pick 10 or so. That could result in a steele sidebottom or it could be a marcus drum.

Securing a 20-24 year old midfielder with Pick 10 who could waltz in and make our midfield better is a no brainer.

Agree with this, drafting can at times be very speculative, if the opportunity arose to get a young but proven player we should jump at the opportunity.

Never understood this.

Great post

Would not hesitate to part with our first pick plus something for an O'Meara, Bennell etc

Of course it would be a lot, the post was in reply to those that were saying they didnt want to part wour first rounder

For instance, I would go Gaff + Pick 12 for O'Meara. Would probably do Gaff + 12 for Bennell and say a pick 30

Trading Gaff for Omeara is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Yeah Omeara is better but we need an increase in talented midfielders

Trading Gaff for Omeara is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Yeah Omeara is better but we need an increase in talented midfielders

We need an increase in midfielders who can win both inside and outside ball and who can break the lines. We dont ahve many mids who can break lines besides Shep who has probably done it 5 times in his career and Shuey who does it once a game.

Gaff, while can accumulate and has a good kick between 15 and 40m, isnt what we need.

Of course it would be a lot, the post was in reply to those that were saying they didnt want to part wour first rounder

For instance, I would go Gaff + Pick 12 for O'Meara. Would probably do Gaff + 12 for Bennell and say a pick 30

Problem is Gaff + 12 wouldn't get O'Meara. As has been stated numerous times on this forum draft picks are no guarantees, suns will be aware of this logic also. I'm not even sure it would get Bennell. I dare say they would demand something like Shuey + 10 at least for these talents.

These trades only become more feasible if a player states his intention to come home, otherwise we would just get bent over. These kids would be stupid to want to leave GC anyway, they've a playing group that is looking destined for big things in the near future.

Maybe in a few years after some initial success and salary cap becomes an issue we have a chance to steal back some talent, but until that point I don't see it happening and especially not for value.

Another problem we have is that I don't think our depth holds a lot of currency. We keep trading rather then using the draft you eventually get to a point where you'll have to trade quality for quality and it doesn't improve your list a lot. With the draft, if you can nail the first two rounds you add a lot dimension, currency (pushing out other good players with youth) and depth to the team.

The juxtaposition of the 2010 draft and 2012 draft are prime examples of this. Gaff and Darling (first two rounds) are arguably two of our most valuable players in terms of currency and the team, but 2012... Carter and Colledge (yes still early) I don't think are going to add much to the team at this stage. But this isn't surprising, it wasn't a healthy draft depth wise and both were outside the first two rounds. Yes we got Wellingham, who I think could be a good pick up, but our depth is questionable and I don't think trading out quality and giving up opportunities to get more youth in the team will help us as a club moving forward.

In regards to this year, I think the draft pool looks really healthy and think we could pick up two genuine additions to our team moving forward. Don't throw away our picks in the first two rounds again, it's dangerous territory and this year is proof in the pudding that injuries, mishaps etc are a large part of the game and hence relying on 'the best 22' is a recipe for disaster.

Not that im saying i want to trade Gaff but he is the sort player that is easily replaced compared to a player of Omearas talent.

With Gaff's role at the moment i'd agree, if he continues to play wing every game then he'll be a similar player to Brent Stanton and Kade Simpson who are solid B+/A Grade midfielders. I do reckon he's good enough to move on-ball full time when he puts some weight on though. In saying that,i can't think of a similar A-Grade on-balller to Gaff..maybe Dal'Santo?

Trade vs draft.. that's an interesting one... IMO, I think the trade v draft puzzle ultimately depends on whether anyone of note from another club actually wants to come home. If we go hunting, it will ultimately cost us too much. As said previously, should the situation arise where someone wants to come home and who will improve our deficiencies, then absolutely go for the trade. This debate won't be solved until seasons end and we have more information regarding who and what is available. Obviously, a definite need is in the middle.. a line-breaker or some inside grunt.. ideally both, but ultimately need some good foot-skills please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back