Roast Dermott Brereton: "Wayne Carey is a better analyst than Daisy Pearce"

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is there no outrage today over this take by Brereton? I couldn't disagree more with this rather toxic opinion.

Footy great Dermott Brereton has doubled down on Rex Hunt’s take on Daisy Pearce by saying Wayne Carey is the superior commentator.
Hunt last week said footy was been ruined by people with “soft penises.”

Yabba yabbering on (and on) he said the removal of commentator Wayne Carey from prime-time coverage was “weak.”

Dermie later showed his support by posting to a story condemning “AFL icon” Fossil Hunt’s contentious rant.

“Gender quotas aside,” said Dermie, when you stand Wayne “side-by-side against Daisy for football analysis, Wayne is by far the better analyst.”

Link
outrage over an opinion......:rolleyes:

I work in a hugely male-dominated field - aerospace engineering - and can tell you that we lose a lot of very, very talented female engineers due to ostracisation and baked-in sexism - from unpleasant insinuations as to how they got this or that job, to being made to do the admin work, to getting groped at work functions. They have to tread a pretty unpleasant path at times and thus I have no issue with having a floor-based quota to counterbalance that.

Engineering is one industry that has a gender in-balance but some of that behavior is more reflective of an industry cultural problem than just sexism as nearly every apprentice has copped shit treatment from older guys, then you add the gender recruitment targets which despite being needed in engineering, do unintentionally put a target on people's back. In some industries, there are deep seated cultural problems, and we saw that with how people reacted over Adam Goodes and the 13 year old and that was a workplace issue.

I work in a hugely male-dominated field - aerospace engineering - and can tell you that we lose a lot of very, very talented female engineers due to ostracisation and baked-in sexism - from unpleasant insinuations as to how they got this or that job, to being made to do the admin work, to getting groped at work functions. They have to tread a pretty unpleasant path at times and thus I have no issue with having a floor-based quota to counterbalance that.
You would if you were the better qualified applicant who missed out because a certain quota of females had to be met.

Sorry, I don't believe sexism has anything to do with the low numbers of females in engineering anymore than sexism is preventing women from being well represented in roof tiling or brick laying.

Are there less men in primary school teaching because of sexism or individual choice?

Is veterinary science dominated by females because of sexism or choice?

You would if you were the better qualified applicant who missed out because a certain quota of females had to be met.

Sorry, I don't believe sexism has anything to do with the low numbers of females in engineering anymore than sexism is preventing women from being well represented in roof tiling or brick laying.

Are there less men in primary school teaching because of sexism or individual choice?

Is veterinary science dominated by females because of sexism or choice?

Representation matters.

Representation matters.
No. Merit matters. In all professions and trades we are best served by having the most qualified, talented people doing the job.

Every one deserves an equal opportunity but that's where it begins and ends. The Olympic 100 m sprint has been dominated by black athletes for decades. Is that a problem? Should there be a representation of whites and Asians?

Should we introduce quotas enforcing a more diverse spread of representatives in athletics? If not, why not?

He’s not my cup of tea but each to their own.
I think there are two types of special comments people - the chess players (Buckley, David King, Lloyd) and the motivational speakers (Kane Cornes, Richo etc). Some people find the detail stuff fascinating, others find it soporiphic.

No. Merit matters. In all professions and trades we are best served by having the most qualified, talented people doing the job.

Every one deserves an equal opportunity but that's where it begins and ends. The Olympic 100 m sprint has been dominated by black athletes for decades. Is that a problem? Should there be a representation of whites and Asians?

Should we introduce quotas enforcing a more diverse spread of representatives in athletics? If not, why not?
Really bad take and complete strawman. Sexism is a massive reason due to less women representation in certain industries. It is so prevalent in society that you don’t even realize it. The fact that my father taught me how to use tools and not my sister already gave me a head start in those male orientated industries. Maybe my sister would be better than me? Who knows because she wasn’t given the opportunity. Most programs / quotas are used to give women opportunities that they would not typically have. They are normally government initiated and outside the scope of general hires.

Really bad take and complete strawman. Sexism is a massive reason due to less women representation in certain industries. It is so prevalent in society that you don’t even realize it. The fact that my father taught me how to use tools and not my sister already gave me a head start in those male orientated industries. Maybe my sister would be better than me? Who knows because she wasn’t given the opportunity. Most programs / quotas are used to give women opportunities that they would not typically have. They are normally government initiated and outside the scope of general hires.

Agreeing with most of this however gender quotas are not being enacted outside of general hiring and that's why there is a backlash and there will always be people that whinge about quotas however there would be less whinging if quotas were enacted without being part of general hires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreeing with most of this however gender quotas are not being enacted outside of general hiring and that's why there is a backlash and there will always be people that whinge about quotas however there would be less whinging if quotas were enacted without being part of general hires.
I agree with that and see the frustrations but from my experience (engineering) those are so disproportionally stated in these kinds of discussions.

Maybe I have been the "better qualified" candidate who missed out - I just wouldn't know about it. Apologies in advance for the following rant that will drive this thread further off track.

I can absolutely tell you first hand that retention for women in Engineering is a massive, massive issue because of the sleaze, the groping and propositioning, the refusal to take female engineers seriously, the "outsider" nature of being a woman in eng, the blokey culture that pushes women out (I remember a farewell being held at a T**ty bar a few years ago FFS), and the shuffling of women into "less technical" roles, and the lack of support for young parents that disproportionately affects women.

It's very, very typical to see reasonably strong representation of women at the graduate level, but then a number of great young female engineers just can't seem to progress to leadership roles and it's not for want of talent.

No shit merit matters. That is a given.

I am not for quotas or diversity for the sake of diversity but you are having a laugh if you don't think there are certain glass ceilings for women/minority groups. I've worked in STEM all my life and it's a massive issue.

Representation matters for two main reasons;

1) It supports and builds the infrastructure to allow highly qualified and talented people the opportunity where they may have not had it in the past. There is plenty of academic evidence that unequivocally states that representation and role models makes a statistically significant and measurable difference in both uptake and retention to fields that are traditionally male-dominated (aka most of STEM). Little girls aren't going to dream of becoming bricklayers/astronauts/football commentators en-masse until they start seeing women becoming bricklayers/astronauts/footy commentators.

By failing to build and support the infrastructure to allow all people equal opportunity to take up these roles, you are completely gutting the meritocratic approach of recruitment.

2) Diverse viewpoints provide diverse solutions to problems. I'm not sure this needs further elaboration.

Maybe I have been the "better qualified" candidate who missed out - I just wouldn't know about it. Apologies in advance for the following rant that will drive this thread further off track.

I can absolutely tell you first hand that retention for women in Engineering is a massive, massive issue because of the sleaze, the groping and propositioning, the refusal to take female engineers seriously, the "outsider" nature of being a woman in eng, the blokey culture that pushes women out (I remember a farewell being held at a T**ty bar a few years ago FFS), and the shuffling of women into "less technical" roles, and the lack of support for young parents that disproportionately affects women.

It's very, very typical to see reasonably strong representation of women at the graduate level, but then a number of great young female engineers just can't seem to progress to leadership roles and it's not for want of talent.
Yeah this is definitely going way off topic now but as a younger electrical engineer in the mining industry people really don’t know how bad it is until you’re in there. My work currently doesn’t even have a women’s bathroom. If that doesn’t state that they aren’t planning on hiring any women I don’t know what else does. Anytime we have to work with a woman it’s just assumed they only got their job through their looks. If they disagree with anything, immediately assumed they’re on their period or that women are just too emotional. Really is saddening to see considering I had many good women friends struggling for opportunities post grad. I know I wouldn’t have got my job and opportunities if I was a woman.

No s**t merit matters. That is a given.

I am not for quotas or diversity for the sake of diversity but you are having a laugh if you don't think there are certain glass ceilings for women/minority groups. I've worked in STEM all my life and it's a massive issue.

Representation matters for two main reasons;

1) It supports and builds the infrastructure to allow highly qualified and talented people the opportunity where they may have not had it in the past. There is plenty of academic evidence that unequivocally states that representation and role models makes a statistically significant and measurable difference in both uptake and retention to fields that are traditionally male-dominated (aka most of STEM). Little girls aren't going to dream of becoming bricklayers/astronauts/football commentators en-masse until they start seeing women becoming bricklayers/astronauts/footy commentators.

By failing to build and support the infrastructure to allow all people equal opportunity to take up these roles, you are completely gutting the meritocratic approach of recruitment.

2) Diverse viewpoints provide diverse solutions to problems. I'm not sure this needs further elaboration.
Girls have been pushed, coerced and bribed (with scholarships and funding not available to boys for decades now) and still girls gravitate toward people orientated occupations.
Wealthy girls colleges have state of the art science facilities and too class teachers drilling the idea that girls can do and be anything they want to be for decades
Girls dominate the top marks in a range of academic awards and female graduates at University are 60% female and growing while make graduates are declining by the year
Given these facts you would think there would be an increase in female participation in STEM butbit has not eventuated.
As for people needing to see others who are their gender succeeding in a profession in order to be inspired I find that a highly contentious assertion
People are born with a passion and inclination for specific careers and the fact that women have become engineers, politicians, police officers, astronauts etc shows that it is achievable if you have the drive and talent.
If you have to be pushed and bribed before you show an interest in pursuing a career I don't fancy your chances of longevity
I am sick to death of men being blamed because women make choices that reflect their interests and passions.
No woman is being stopped from following her dreams in any career. In fact girls receive far more encouragement and support at secondary level Boys are failing badly in a number of areas but that garners no attention or concern.

Yeah this is definitely going way off topic now but as a younger electrical engineer in the mining industry people really don’t know how bad it is until you’re in there. My work currently doesn’t even have a women’s bathroom. If that doesn’t state that they aren’t planning on hiring any women I don’t know what else does. Anytime we have to work with a woman it’s just assumed they only got their job through their looks. If they disagree with anything, immediately assumed they’re on their period or that women are just too emotional. Really is saddening to see considering I had many good women friends struggling for opportunities post grad. I know I wouldn’t have got my job and opportunities if I was a woman.
No. The lack of female facilities indicates the lack of interest most women have in pursuing that line of work.

Were women knocking down the door when mining was entirely a manual job involving digging and working deep underground in stifling, claustrophobic conditions?

Was it sexism keeping women out of roof tiling and concreting?

Is it sexism which gives us the shocking gender workplace death gap where 95% of people killed in their place of work are men?

Are women desperate to get into these deadly, dangerous industries and is it only male attitudes preventing them from closing the workplace death gap?

Are you one of the alleged misogynist who make female coworkers uncomfortable or is it all the other blokes?

Carey is a cliche special comments man stuck in the 90’s. I’ve learned more about footy listening to Daisy than Wayne.
That's fine. You prefer Daisy. I think she knows her footy too. That's not the point. Anytime a poster criticizes a female footballer or commentator he is immediately branded sexist yet the endless bagging of male commentators is never viewed as misandry.

That's what annoys those who want some balance in discussions involving females and males. The same attitude applies to politics. Any criticism of women is always branded misogyny even when the criticism valid and based on the woman's actions or words.

The most vile attacks on male politicians are laughed about or ignored and accepted as being something men must cop on the chin.
So women demanding equal treatment don't truly mean it. When they get it they scream about it and call it sexist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Dermott Brereton: "Wayne Carey is a better analyst than Daisy Pearce"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back