Roast Dermott Brereton: "Wayne Carey is a better analyst than Daisy Pearce"

Remove this Banner Ad

No s**t merit matters. That is a given.

I am not for quotas or diversity for the sake of diversity but you are having a laugh if you don't think there are certain glass ceilings for women/minority groups. I've worked in STEM all my life and it's a massive issue.

Representation matters for two main reasons;

1) It supports and builds the infrastructure to allow highly qualified and talented people the opportunity where they may have not had it in the past. There is plenty of academic evidence that unequivocally states that representation and role models makes a statistically significant and measurable difference in both uptake and retention to fields that are traditionally male-dominated (aka most of STEM). Little girls aren't going to dream of becoming bricklayers/astronauts/football commentators en-masse until they start seeing women becoming bricklayers/astronauts/footy commentators.

By failing to build and support the infrastructure to allow all people equal opportunity to take up these roles, you are completely gutting the meritocratic approach of recruitment.

2) Diverse viewpoints provide diverse solutions to problems. I'm not sure this needs further elaboration.
Who goes into an industy based off role models as little kids? We would all be firemen and ballet dancers if so.

most people dont think about careers until they are 16-17 and for many even later then that. At that point no one cares what sex an inspiring person in a field is. They just care about what is inspiring about them. And most people go into a field without any inspiring people playing a role at all cos young adults arent morons who need role models when choosing career paths. They go into fields cos the work interests them and/or they have a knack for it. To suggest a lack of inspiration is having a mass impact on numbers is just ridiculous. The main reason is the bulk of women find the work either uninteresting or not suitable to the lifestyle they want to lead.

as for this thread:

daisy, dermie and carey are all pretty terrible. i have carey slightly in front of the others. But not by much.

No. The lack of female facilities indicates the lack of interest most women have in pursuing that line of work.

Were women knocking down the door when mining was entirely a manual job involving digging and working deep underground in stifling, claustrophobic conditions?

Was it sexism keeping women out of roof tiling and concreting?

Is it sexism which gives us the shocking gender workplace death gap where 95% of people killed in their place of work are men?

Are women desperate to get into these deadly, dangerous industries and is it only male attitudes preventing them from closing the workplace death gap?

Are you one of the alleged misogynist who make female coworkers uncomfortable or is it all the other blokes?
Man you have officially lost it here.

Were women knocking down the door to mining jobs when it was manual labour? What in the 1800s? Probably not considering they didn’t even have rights? You’re acting like over night sexism has been solved and now women are on an equal playing field.

You know it’s possible for there to be problems that men face without making it a pissing contest. The difference in everything you stated there is I can simply just not do those things. If I don’t want to work in a dangerous environment, for the most part I can decide not to. It’s completely different to not having the opportunity to not do so.

I remember taking my niece to the footy for the first time and the as soon as we sat down she asked "where's the girls?". I had a bit of a tough time explaining that one, but probably not as hard as it would have been twenty years ago.

Still a long way to go sadly.

Carey has his place - find some of his insights quite good. Daisy provides something different and I quite enjoy her commentary too. At least neither of them are James Brayshaw. It's totally unnecessary on Derm's part to compare them or specifically name Daisy Pearce. No doubt he thought he was being hard hitting but I just think he was being a shit.

No. The lack of female facilities indicates the lack of interest most women have in pursuing that line of work.

Were women knocking down the door when mining was entirely a manual job involving digging and working deep underground in stifling, claustrophobic conditions?
I appreciate that you have a different point of view, but at the very least you could stop telling people what's what about their very own workplaces and work sectors.

What have you learnt?

Can't remember exact specifics but a few times I've thought good point when she is discussing stoppage set ups or defence behind the play or what a team may be looking to do from a kick in, as someone who themselves hasn't played footy for 18 years I find that stuff helpful, Carey I have never heard anything, stopped and thought "I didnt know that".

Luke Hodge is a favourite, I feel he gives an insight into the modern game as did Nathan Jones but I am not sure he is around anymore, Ling is no good, Jon Brown is decent, both Reiwoldts are great.

Carey's insights are things like "Fyfe has to learn to kick those" after he misses a shot at goal every blind man and his dog can see Fyfe has issues kicking for goal. Or Robert Walls-esque position changes, move the ruck forward or vice versa stuff.

I can't stand Kelli Underwood for the record.

Has Carey ever actually coached or been inside an AFL system in the last 15 years? I know Daisy is coaching and despite her genitals seems to be respected by most in the industry.

Who goes into an industy based off role models as little kids? We would all be firemen and ballet dancers if so.

most people dont think about careers until they are 16-17 and for many even later then that. At that point no one cares what sex an inspiring person in a field is. They just care about what is inspiring about them. And most people go into a field without any inspiring people playing a role at all cos young adults arent morons who need role models when choosing career paths. They go into fields cos the work interests them and/or they have a knack for it. To suggest a lack of inspiration is having a mass impact on numbers is just ridiculous. The main reason is the bulk of women find the work either uninteresting or not suitable to the lifestyle they want to lead.

as for this thread:

daisy, dermie and carey are all pretty terrible. i have carey slightly in front of the others. But not by much.

Many kids get inspired by what their parents or close family members do, and there are many cases in sport where a great sportsperson or sporting movement inspires someone to take up that sport, and in politics, many people get poltiical when they don't like the government.

An unedifying political debate on quotas.
It is absolutely related to the knee jerk response of criticism of Daisy being sexist rather than on her merits as a commentator.

I think Johnson the former Brisbane Lions champ and Burgoyne are not particularly impressive special comments commentators or boundary riders. I also have no doubt being indigenous was an important aspect of their selection.

You can argue the merits of this kind of attempt to give representation to certain demographics but there is no doubt there is an element of the quota approach in the formation of commentary teams.

I think there are a number of female boundary riders who are far better than many of the male boundary riders of the past like Dipper and Tim Watson who used to freeze and stare into the camera in his early days

The fact Wayne Carey has a job in the media just shows how backward society still is. His rap sheet is horrendous and his treatment of women / people in the past is awful. He is literally getting employed due to his status as a player, which is disgusting.

Get some credibility and ditch him. Whether it’s Daisy or anyone else taking his spot, who cares.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Representation matters.
This has what ruined Star Wars.

The writers are horrible, there's a famous whiteboard pic where they're brainstorming story ideas and "diversity" is written twice. Disney care more about being "inclusive" than they are about actual quality writing. And you wonder why the sequels, Boba Fett and Kenobi were dog poop.

The fact Wayne Carey has a job in the media just shows how backward society still is. His rap sheet is horrendous and his treatment of women / people in the past is awful. He is literally getting employed due to his status as a player, which is disgusting.

Get some credibility and ditch him. Whether it’s Daisy or anyone else taking his spot, who cares.
Football players get let off too easily. Dane Swan is a great example, causes someone brain damage but doesn't see a night in a jail cell. There's also Bomber Thompson, a quantity enough to be considered trafficking yet gets off. It's a joke.

Can people in the media be given second chances though? His offences are quite a bit in the past now.

I remember taking my niece to the footy for the first time and the as soon as we sat down she asked "where's the girls?". I had a bit of a tough time explaining that one, but probably not as hard as it would have been twenty years ago.

Still a long way to go sadly.
How embarrassing. I took my nephew to the netball and he asked "where are the boys?" Sadly, I informed him that unlike football which has done all in its power to set up a women's league and subsidised it to the tune of tens of millions of dollars while the women were playing to non paying crowds,the netball powers that be have still done nothing to include or support a men's competition.

I then told him as tears rolled down his cheeks that male sporting competitions raise tens of millions of dollars for female specific diseases yet still get called sexist and misogynistic.

Is this a Wayne Carey thing or a male preferring how another male goes about his job over a female?
You also cant ignore the fact this is a job about commenting mens football. If it was commentating the females football im sure some of those who prefer men commentating the mens football would prefer ex female players to commentate the womens football.

as for me i prefer commentators who either make the game exciting be bringing genuine emotion or witty dialogue or bring insight that i dont have. all these commentstors fail on all measures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Dermott Brereton: "Wayne Carey is a better analyst than Daisy Pearce"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back