Roast Dermott Brereton: "Wayne Carey is a better analyst than Daisy Pearce"

Remove this Banner Ad

Really bad take and complete strawman. Sexism is a massive reason due to less women representation in certain industries. It is so prevalent in society that you don’t even realize it. The fact that my father taught me how to use tools and not my sister already gave me a head start in those male orientated industries. Maybe my sister would be better than me? Who knows because she wasn’t given the opportunity. Most programs / quotas are used to give women opportunities that they would not typically have. They are normally government initiated and outside the scope of general hires.
These arguments are so disingenuous. As Jordan Peterson has pointed out on numerous occasions. In the Scandinavian countries which are regarded as the most gender conscious with the strictest laws on gender equity countless studies have found that the more choice men and women are given, the bigger the gap becomes in who chooses engineering and many other male dominated fields. In these countries women choose nursing, teaching and other female dominated occupations in even bigger numbers than they do here it in other western nations.

Where does that leave the notion that females are being prevented from pursuing jobs previously considered to be the domain of men? When they have real choice they are even more likely to gravitate to the traditional female occupations

It's not a bad thing that women and men in general have a preference for different types of work. Men tend to want to work with things whereas women tend to work with people orientated jobs.

There are exceptions. I was a primary school teacher and some women are engineers. Great.

Society can try to manipulate people as much as they like but human nature always prevails.

Many kids get inspired by what their parents or close family members do, and there are many cases in sport where a great sportsperson or sporting movement inspires someone to take up that sport, and in politics, many people get poltiical when they don't like the government.
i disagree it would not be many and certainly not as kids. And definately not in stem subjects. And even then in the rare cases it does happen gender often would be irrelevant.

this is not a factor driving the gender differences.

No you didn't.
Yes I did. The part about the tears was some embellishment to make a very clear point which you neatly sidestepped.
Why would your niece wonder where the girls were? If you took her to watch an AFL game I'd assume it was because she had shown an interest by watching it on tv. If this was PRE AFLW, why would she have been surprised by the absence of girls on the footy field?

I've taken my daughter and grandaughters to the footy and they never once asked why girls weren't playing. They just watched the game and barracked hard for the boys wearing black and white .

Diverse characters didn't ruin your shitty space movie, it was garbage story-telling.
Numbers don't lie. I'm no fan of Star Wars but I understand why those who are would be disappointed by the rewriting of specific roles or plot lines in order to make a female the warrior hero or whatever they deemed necessary to please the gender diversity mob.

Make as many Girl Power movies as you like, but don't shit all over long established movie genres with ridiculous pandering.

Football players get let off too easily. Dane Swan is a great example, causes someone brain damage but doesn't see a night in a jail cell. There's also Bomber Thompson, a quantity enough to be considered trafficking yet gets off. It's a joke.
Dane Swan is pathetic. Always has been. Tries to come across as this type with a laid back, devil may care attitude, but at the heart of it all is just a man child espousing pretty typical bogan views, aka the anti lockdown sentiments etc.

And yes, severely injuring someone and not receiving any form or repercussion was pathetic. Having spoken to a friend who is a policeman, he stated that the justice system here is pretty broken because judges just want issue prison sentences unless as a last resort.

So why isnt he in prison then?
I don’t know. Are you seriously asking me that? You don’t get locked up in Australia, and even if you’re Paul Denyer and you murder 3-4 people you get to identify as a woman and get ‘life’ which means 30 years.

All I know is Carey is / was a piece of shit who clearly didn’t learn much after groping a woman years back but is rewarded with a plum job because he was one of the greats.

Dermott and Rex too are completely fine to have their own opinion on things are they not? I never understand the outcry, isn't a statement like this the opposite of sexism? To rate someone on their analysis and performance on the screen rather than pretending she is an elite operator who can do no wrong purely because she is a woman?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pearce is hard to listen to. Says too much and not often is she bringing anything particularly insightful.
Carey not much better but at least his tone isn’t as grating.

It seems if you’re not a fan of Daisy commentating the game you must be a sexist though so those of us that aren’t fans better keep quiet.

Last edited:
Can’t see anything wrong with Dermie expressing his views or how he expressed them.

But he’s wrong. Carey is a terrible caller/analyst/commentator.

And Hunt is an irrelevant caveman
Hunt is still probably the best caller the game has seen. Not because of all the silly stuff that he did. But because he is the only caller that could bring genuine emotion and heart to a call. and he elevated the game as a result.

so in regards to discussing commentators abilities he is far from irrelevant.

Hunt is still probably the best caller the game has seen. Not because of all the silly stuff that he did. But because he is the only caller that could bring genuine emotion and heart to a call. and he elevated the game as a result.

so in regards to discussing commentators abilities he is far from irrelevant.

He is a sexist narcissistic dinosaur

If Daisy was male then neither Rex nor Dermie would've said anything.

That's precisely what makes it sexist.
Exactly.

Hunt’s article typifies a generation of bygones. Just his comments, his use of that language etc. There are literally hundreds of ex players who could provide amazing insight that haven’t had a record like he does.

Barry Hall for example got axed for his comments, why does Carey even get a job in a day where football is trying to integrate a woman’s league and promote females as supporters, players and members etc?

LMAO! Of course he is an alpha male! Carey is one of the greatest players to pull on a boot.
When King Carey speaks, everyone else listens - purely because of his standing in football as an ex-player.

That's pretty much Carey's only currency as a commentator. Without his big-headed, forthright, alpha-maleness, all you are left with is an semi-articulate boofhead who never says anything particularly insightful, but who loves making idiotic bold statements purely to incite controversy.

Yeah okey mete... Nuthin sexist about blokey blokes picking on the young woman who has breached the boy's club.

It's a merit-based argument, you see... :D

That's why we have dozens of other threads on Big Footy about other commentators making disparaging comparisons between colleagues
  • "Gerard Whateley thinks Anthony Hudson is a better host than Eddie McGuire"
  • "Garry Lyon thinks Nick Riewoldt is a better analyst than Jonathan Brown"
  • "Cameron Ling thinks Hamish McLachlan is a better commentator than Basil Zempilas"

Nah... Rex and Derm were not being judgmental and making snarky comments purely because Daisy Pearce is a woman.

That's a just a COINCIDENCE. :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Yeah, whatever. Not sure of the relevance of this. Rex and Derm chose to make their comments public

It's one thing for some yobbo ex-player to be sexist in his private life. Each to their own.
But it's another thing for a person in the public eye to broadcast their sexism from the rooftops

Of course, people will be moved to comment about it and to laugh at their stupidity.
Bravo.

Best thing said within this thread. 100% behind you and agree on this.

Exactly.

Hunt’s article typifies a generation of bygones. Just his comments, his use of that language etc. There are literally hundreds of ex players who could provide amazing insight that haven’t had a record like he does.

Barry Hall for example got axed for his comments, why does Carey even get a job in a day where football is trying to integrate a woman’s league and promote females as supporters, players and members etc?
Cos its supposed to be about insight and entertainment. not moral standing.

now im not saying thats what it is about down at chanel 7. But its what it should be about. Those two things. Thats what makes watching the thing more entertaining.

If Rex had made the same comment about a young male commentator who he believed lacked Carey's inside knowledge and experience would you have said it was because he had a problem with young men?

It's such a predictable and childish response. He is criticising the move based on her experience and knowledge. You can disagree but it has nothing to do with the gender of the people involved.

It's the equivalent of calling someone a racist for criticising a black player's performance. It's so childish.
When do male commentators rip into one another?

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Dermott Brereton: "Wayne Carey is a better analyst than Daisy Pearce"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back