Autopsy Destiny awaits another season - Magpies lose by 4

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t get it out of mind
Grundy gets a blatant push in the back in a ruck contest in front of the goal- no penalty- goal - giants win by 4
And people all next week at work will say I’m whinging. It was so obvious and no excuses for it to be missed - the ref was right there nothing blocking his line of sight
It was so obvious that the giants were being assisted in the 3rd qtr to build the lead so they “might” hold on in the last when they were expected to fade which they did. And it worked.
I can’t get it out of my mind. Push - goal - that’s the margin
2 seasons, 2 critical mistakes, 1 non-penalty given, 1 penalty not given
The AFL have taken my money and laughed in my face. I’m not playing next year as I doubt our team can back up next year
There seems to be rule in that pocket where ruckmen are allowed to push Grundy in the back and then kick the goal. We've seen it about 5 times now. It's uncanny. Always the same spot. Always a goal.

We've never been the cleanest handlers of the ball and the conditions had me nervous (like any time it's dewy or wet) and we really blew it , especially in the air.

In the end it was a classic Collingwood final - a few controversial decisions go our way and we win. I'm pretty calm about it all - been here , done this a million times before. If we'd stolen it at the end , it would've been just that........a brilliant steal. I don't think anyone would've been confidently stating that the better side on the day won it. We played a quarter of footy and almost did it. That's a sign of what we're capable of at both ends of the spectrum.

The umpiring...........well yeah. In the end I know that I see things through a Collingwood lense so I won't bitch other than to say it's hugely frustrating to have been following a game for almost 50 years and still feel like you don't know the rules. I just give up in general - on all teams' behalf!

I agree with the commentary around Grundy. He is a genuine star but the only midfielder (part time) who seems to have any real connection with him out of centre bounce/stoppage is DeGoey. We could get so much more from his dominance if we were better organised.

I said earlier in the week that the only way we win this game is if we come in low and fast to leading forwards and that pretty much ended with Elliott's early goal.

That was all a bunch of random thoughts but we better get cracking on things next year. We need Beams,Langdon,Sier firing + some good recruiting up forward to get the best out of this group before Pendles and Sidey are on the decline (if they're not already). I thought Pendles was okay tonight btw.

Oh and thanks to the various Richmond (mostly), Essendon and St Kilda w***ers who went on LOL/like binges. Pretty much as you'd expect.

Last edited:
Recruiting WHE was a mistake.

Recruiting Mayne was a huge mistake

Recruiting Wells was a huge mistake

Recruiting Beams was a huge mistake

Not having a single good KP forward was a mistake

Not having a coordinated midfield despite the best ruckmen this decade was a mistake.

Having no rebounding defender was a mistake

Buckley being the longest coach to never win a flag will be a mistake

Hope he's a lot lot better than his brother.

He has the one asset Callum desperately needs - size.

I still maintain that if we could somehow combine the attributes young Callum's and Josh's attributes into the one player then we'd have a real young gun on our hands.

It's beginning to looking like a a similar situation to siblings who have joined the club previously - the elder brother(s) are once again unfortunately looking like they may be easily surpassed by their younger sibling(s).

I'm, disappointed & frustrated, but not devastated. I save that emotion for grand final losses.

My record is now 11 grand final losses and 9 prelim losses to go with 2 flags.

That is 22 preliminary finals for 2 flags. And the club, and most of us supporters, keep bleating on about how we are the biggest club in the land. That is not the record of the biggest club in the land, that is the record of a club continually punching above its weight, but never quiet the best - there is always 1 or 2 teams better.

And it looks like staying that way.

Today was ours for the taking. Coniglio, Whitfield and Greene all out of their midfield - and they smashed us in the clearances. That could only happen to us, usually in a prelim or grand final.

We need to make tough decisions about our list (WHE, Treloar, Phillips etc.), but we wont. We never do. That's not the Collingwood way.

All this talk about swapping Grundy for a couple of 1st rounders is ridiculous. Every draft pick is a risk, whether its number 1 or 61. We should be building out team around him. What we need is a midfield coach with a brain, and some midfielders who can at least spell the word clearance.

Our backline is fine. Our forward line is dysfunctional. Checkers is not good enough to play as the main target. He should be 2nd or 3rd. We wont be landing a big fish like Lynch or Cameron because that is not the Collingwood way (but hey, lets swap out the only big fish we have). We'll settle for someone like Patton, because his injury profile fits in so well with our current list.

Maybe we need a few more father/son selections.

It is a mental thing.

A lot of people on here are still making excuses or at least blasé about the situation.

Even if this was an average Pies side, we got to the grand final last year and lost.

Where was the hunger for the first 3 quarters? It wasn’t there.

I think that we have taken so much emotion out of the game that we just role up thinking our “structures” will get us through. Well that’s just like the other 17 sides.

You need a point of difference to beat the other side. Something special. Some drive.

We can’t blame everyone for the loss but we can take a good hard look at the apathy that has set in to this club over the past 50 years.

Being brides maids is almost a badge of honour for us and the players staff and now the supporters seem to accept the loss without much emotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would rather lose a prelim than watching us lose another GF.

We actually did very well to get this far this season.
There were only a few games all year that I thought we were exciting to watch.
Let's be honest, we weren't a premiership side and top 4 flattered us.
Was a very good effort to make it to a prelim.

Our "good" footy is good, our ability to play it consistently is bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The overuse of the famous “Coooollingwoooood” chant actually infuriates me. Thought I’d heard it all when we led by two goals in the grand final last year and when we pinched the lead in round one only to go and lose both games.

But to hear it belted out when we’re 20 points down in the last quarter of a preliminary final, hahaha my god - who are the clowns behind this? It’s a sacred chant that should be only used when big games are sealed in our favour. It’s quickly lost its flavour in the last couple of years because for some reason, the supporters use it as motivation every single game.
Normally I'd agree that the chant should be used to celebrate victory, but in this instance it was used well as a rallying call to get behind our players. We hadn't had any momentum all day, so I have no issue trying to get that buzz going especially against a side with just a few hundred fans at the game.

Some of the aggressive defence of the club makes posting unpleasant - some posters deny the unpalatable fact that in the flag stakes (and flags ARE the measure of success) we have been mediocre performers for some time now - esp when measured against our finals /GF appearances

Please help me understand how continually bleating the obvious changes anything.

Why do you want to burden our poor historical performance on our current playing group? Because that’s exactly what you’re doing with the irrelevant references to our history.

Recruiting WHE was a mistake.

- Disagree, harsh.

Recruiting Mayne was a huge mistake

- Really?

Recruiting Wells was a huge mistake

- Gamble backfired, agree.

Recruiting Beams was a huge mistake

- So far yes, he fizzed.

Not having a single good KP forward was a mistake

- Not sure it's one to classify as a mistake, we tried to get Lynch.

Not having a coordinated midfield despite the best ruckmen this decade was a mistake.

- Grey zone because I don't understand what coordinated means in this context. Our midfield hasn't delivered to its potential, I grant you that.

Having no rebounding defender was a mistake

- Crisp? We recruited IQ for this role and Murray as well. It would have been a mistake if we didn't try.

Buckley being the longest coach to never win a flag will be a mistake

- I'll leave this one through to the keeper.

I get that you're peeved and I know you genuinely care about the club and want it to do well but some of your calls are harsh.

I would rather lose a prelim than watching us lose another GF.

We actually did very well to get this far this season.
There were only a few games all year that I thought we were exciting to watch.
Let's be honest, we weren't a premiership side and top 4 flattered us.
Was a very good effort to make it to a prelim.

Our "good" footy is good, our ability to play it consistently is bad.

Show pony rating? :)

It is a mental thing.

A lot of people on here are still making excuses or at least blasé about the situation.

Even if this was an average Pies side, we got to the grand final last year and lost.

Where was the hunger for the first 3 quarters? It wasn’t there.

I think that we have taken so much emotion out of the game that we just role up thinking our “structures” will get us through. Well that’s just like the other 17 sides.

You need a point of difference to beat the other side. Something special. Some drive.

We can’t blame everyone for the loss but we can take a good hard look at the apathy that has set in to this club over the past 50 years.

Being brides maids is almost a badge of honour for us and the players staff and now the supporters seem to accept the loss without much emotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please indulge me in this simple exercise.

I have anointed you as the man to fix the 50 years of underperformance.

Please tell me how you’re going to do it and where you will prioritize your efforts.

The overuse of the famous “Coooollingwoooood” chant actually infuriates me. Thought I’d heard it all when we led by two goals in the grand final last year and when we pinched the lead in round one only to go and lose both games.

But to hear it belted out when we’re 20 points down in the last quarter of a preliminary final, hahaha my god - who are the clowns behind this? It’s a sacred chant that should be only used when big games are sealed in our favour. It’s quickly lost its flavour in the last couple of years because for some reason, the supporters use it as motivation every single game.
Seriously?

Yeah I'm really struggling at the moment, feel so heartbroken again and numb... We probably would have lost week after and I have relatives that are horrible tuggers supporters so that would of been a living hell for me but I just want another premiership. Proud of them for coming back in the 4th but we were just rubbish for the first three quarters :/ :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Destiny awaits another season - Magpies lose by 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back